Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Rebecca 1940 remarkably this is the first time I have watched this film, being a fan of Hitch thats probably a crime. This film is quite unusual though certainly drags you in, Fontaine was excellent in Suspicion and even better here. Joan Fontaine is easily one of the most beautiful actresses I have seen, in Rebecca she shows great depth in her character I am suprised she did not win an Oscar for this role too.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Rebecca 1940 remarkably this is the first time I have watched this film, being a fan of Hitch thats probably a crime. This film is quite unusual though certainly drags you in, Fontaine was excellent in Suspicion and even better here. Joan Fontaine is easily one of the most beautiful actresses I have seen, in Rebecca she shows great depth in her character I am suprised she did not win an Oscar for this role too.
    I love both films and agree with you on Fontaine. In her prime she was mesmerizing, and classy in that classic way.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Rebecca 1940 remarkably this is the first time I have watched this film, being a fan of Hitch thats probably a crime. This film is quite unusual though certainly drags you in, Fontaine was excellent in Suspicion and even better here. Joan Fontaine is easily one of the most beautiful actresses I have seen, in Rebecca she shows great depth in her character I am suprised she did not win an Oscar for this role too.
    I love both films and agree with you on Fontaine. In her prime she was mesmerizing, and classy in that classic way.

Absolutely in Rebecca Fontaine is amazing, the way she emotes what her character is thinking and feeling is as good as it gets.

Rebecca (1940) is definitely one of Hitchcock's finest. Glad I own it.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 6,432
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Rebecca (1940) is definitely one of Hitchcock's finest. Glad I own it.

Recorded Rebecca in HD though will definitely buy it.

Edited: Just watched Pride and Prejudice and Zombies surprisingly good, one of the better genre splicing films I have watched.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Red Cliff: Part One (2008)

Hadn't seen this in a while. Another splendid John Woo film with hugely impressive action scenes. The main 2 battle scenes, at the start and end of the film, are just spectacular, and feature an insanely high body count. Always nice to see some familiar faces, like Tony Leung (who was in 'Hard Boiled' 25 years ago). A very beautiful soundtrack, a lot of badass characters, stunning battle scenes and gorgeous locations, and that makes for a highly entertaining war film from John Woo. I'll watch the 2nd part soon, and (hopefully) finally discover the two 'A Better Tomorrow' films, also from Woo.
    Apocalypse Now - redux - a longer version about the madness and sanity of war especially the Vietnam war. Impressive and trippy as always
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883
    The Sum of All Fears (2002)

I was in the mood for a Tom Clancy thriller, and so put in my blu ray copy of this Ben Affleck starring actioner. Boasting a superb supporting cast (Morgan Freeman, James Cromwell, Bridget Moynahan, Liev Schreiber, Ciaran Hinds and many others), it focuses on a younger Jack Ryan than the earlier Harrison Ford films.

My perception of this film has improved with time. When I first watched it, I didn't enjoy it all that much, and found it lacking in comparison to the earlier films. Affleck's Ryan didn't quite have the spark to me that Baldwin's portrayal did in The Hunt For Red October, and Ford is always on game. However, over the years, I've grown to really appreciate this film. Its showcasing of tensions between Russia and the US (all the way down to a Cuban Missile style confrontation) seems quite prescient given the current suspicion between the two nations. Moreover, there are Bondian elements here - with a shadowy fascist far right organization (emanating out of Austria) getting a hold of a 'loose nuke' and using it to clandestinely create trouble between the two superpowers - very Blofed'esque.

The killer performance here comes from Liev Schreiber in a small part as a CIA operative. Think Homeland's Peter Quinn (Rupert Friend). Schreiber plays the part to perfection. Also, Sven-Ole Thorsen is chilling as a thuggish henchman.

This film is much better than that disgrace they put out a few years back with American Craig wannabe Chris Pine

Recommended.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Lethal Weapon

Original and best. And hell, it's a Christmas film!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames My 2 favorite outings in the Jack Ryan franchise are 'Hunt for Red October' (I am a sucker for submarine films, plus it as Sam Neill and Sean Connery) and 'Clear and Present Danger' (Harrison Ford teaming up with Willem Dafoe, a good dose of globe trotting in Central America, and some fantastic action scenes).
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I love all of the Ryan films these days except for the last one @DaltonCraig007. Agreed on Hunt for Red October: Connery and Neill are awesome, and Baldwin in his prime is incredible as well. Clear and Present Danger is another classic, and that ambush in South America is very reminiscent of the one in last year's Sicario. I also love Patriot Games, mainly because that was the first film I saw Sean Bean in, and he was brilliant in it - intensity personified. Moreover, it was the first time I realized how powerful the CIA's satellite imagery was. Since then we've seen it in many films, but that was the first time I recall seeing it on film.

I'm now tempted to watch them all again. They are all great films.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Home For Christmas
    A young Jennifer Love Hewitt stars in this sweet Christmas movie. Little JLH is a teenage girl who runs away from her adopted parents to find her biological mother. Her adopted parents hire a veteran bounty hunter to track her down. It's warm and fuzzy, just the film to get in the mood for Christmas.

Pal Joey

I felt in the mood for some laid back Sinatra, and Pal Joey hit the spot. As any actor and/or singer ever looked more in their element than Frank in that clip?
    After Hours (1985) - third watch. It's my second favorite Scorsese film. As good as dark comedy gets; I recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.
  • FoxRox wrote: »
    After Hours (1985) - third watch. It's my second favorite Scorsese film. As good as dark comedy gets; I recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Griffin Dunne of An American Werewolf in London Is very good in this I recall, been sometime since I watched it did not realise Scorsese directed.

Birdleson wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »

I definitely remember enjoying the first two-thirds quite a bit, but then it gets a bit muddy, no? I haven't seen it since the '80s, so I don't remember specifics.

@Birdleson I love it from start to finish. I definitely recommend you revisit it sometime!
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 11,189
    Dirty Harry (1971)

Probably my favourite film from the 1970s. Could watch this clip over-and-over.

SPOILER

I remember as a youngster first hearing this phrase in The Mask and when I first saw the Dirty Harry ending was like "oh that's where its from" (I was about 13 at the time).

(1.03)

• edited December 2016 Posts: 2,107
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOkwJAvvUt7qbOTv9cAx-8y_oG3_7y4fmWLkL56YvHHR-SpULi

Even if I'm not in any particular mood for Christmas this year and skip it, National Lampoon's Christmas vacation is a gift that keeps on giving, year after year.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Captain America: Civil War. Just when I thought I was getting bored of Superhero movies this one gets me pumped for what's coming next. I really enjoyed it. Loved all the character moments and action. That Airport scene was so fun.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Murdock, what were your thoughts on Winter Solider?
    @Murdock, what were your thoughts on Winter Solider?
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I enjoyed that very much. The Captain America films have all been solid to me. My favorites of the MCU.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Murdock, I agree. It doesn't get much better than the Star Spangled Man, and he is easily my favorite character of the lot too. I relate to him in a lot of weird ways, and he's simply a very endearing and honorable character. Certain moments in Winter Soldier solidified Cap as the best for me, whether what he did or said made me well up with tears or punch the air with my fist in anticipation.
    Agreed. I'll always have a special place in my heart for Cap as he was my dad's favorite Superhero. Winter Soldier and Civil War would have been his favorites. I enjoy the character at all.
    You can't be much more heroic when you debut to the world punching Hitler on a comic cover.

I know Captain America: The First Avenger gets knocked about a lot, with people brutalizing it for certain things, and while I'll be the first to admit it has flaws, I really adore it in so many ways, and think it's worthy of the other two in the trilogy. For my money the first twenty minutes of that film where we get to see Steve before he gets chosen for the serum is the greatest section of any Marvel film ever. It's such great characterization on the writers' part to take the time to get us to love this Brooklyn boy for so long so that we stand behind him when he finally takes on the Cap mantle.

The first twenty minutes are a string of classic moments, brought to life on screen. How Steve picks up the trash can lid during his fight in the alley, making a pose like he would later on with his iconic shield. How he felt obligated to serve in the war because he didn't want to do any less than those already in service. How he confessed that he didn't want to have to kill anyone, and just hated bullies. How he jumped on the dummy grenade and was instantly willing to sacrifice himself with no hesitation. It's just so easy to fall in love with him as a man the more you know about him and his views on the world and the war that has overtaken it. This is a guy who signs up to serve in the military over five times and fails each time in his application but keeps going back to realize his goal and help his country in a trying time not matter how many times he's told "no."

And when Steve finally takes the serum and is paraded around as the Star Spangled Man, the film endeavors to actually examine wartime and how different the battle felt to those deep in the theaters of war and back at home. When Steve is performing in the states, collecting money for the war effort in his suit with the whole song and dance, the crowd is electric and jingoistic, patriotic as can be as they support the troops. The war has been glorified for them as something heroic and exciting, but when Steve then goes to Europe to see the troops first hand, they boo him off the stage because they feel the real effects of conflict every day and are fighting the fight normal citizens don't have to, a fight that gets written about with an artificiality and misplaced glory back home. Steve wanted to be a true solider from the very beginning, but even after he took the serum he was simply paraded around as propaganda, being used and made to seem like he was making a difference when all his efforts were hollow. How he breaks free from those ties and expectations of his masters and becomes the hero he was destined to be is a beautiful thing, and it makes that film spectacular to me for all its flaws, especially with good old Peggy thrown in.

The film simply doesn't get the credit it deserves for building the legend of Steve Rogers as a cultural hero while also examining through his eyes how propaganda during wartime paints different pictures of conflict for those in and out of the fight. That's what makes it a damn solid film, and one that more people need to open their eyes to.

Christ, I love that man.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    KURT BLIR GRUSOM

Norwegian/Danish animation.
    Star Wars - When Luke, Han, Leia, Chewbacca, C3PO & R2D2 first encountered the evil called Darth Vader and the cinematic world never was the same.

The Empire strikes back - The dark second installment of the trilogy that is still easily the best of the whole series.

The Mechanic resurrected - I was looking forward to this movie, lets say the trailer was better than the movie, and yes Jessica Albba in a bikini is anybody's highlight any day but the movie somehow lacks the suspense and good basic story that the first one had. That said it does kick *rse and then some. Tommy Lee Jones is always fun to see.

The Croods - Caveman history rewritten and a bloody great laugh it is as well.
    edited December 2016 Posts: 15,692
    16.jpg

The Hunter (2011)

From the first time I saw this film 5 years ago, it instantly became one of my all time favorites. Willem Dafoe delivers the performance of a life time as the mysterious Martin David, and I'd rank only Nicolas Cage in 'Lord of War' ahead of him. Stunning cinematography and landscapes in the gorgeous Tasmania, beautiful soundtrack, and the key aspect of the film being the long sequences where Dafoe is alone in the forest. Not forgetting the presence of the legendary Sam Neill, who is always a pleasure to watch.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Lethal Weapon

Original and best. And hell, it's a Christmas film!

Yes!

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    GHOSTS OF GIRLFRIENDS PAST

Romantic spin on A Christmas Carol with Matthew McConaughey, Jennifer Garner, Emma Stone, Michael Douglas. That Dickens story has become a cultural meme of some kind.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    GHOSTS OF GIRLFRIENDS PAST

Romantic spin on A Christmas Carol with Matthew McConaughey, Jennifer Garner, Emma Stone, Michael Douglas. That Dickens story has become a cultural meme of some kind.
    Awlrigh, awlrigh, awlrigh...
    edited December 2016 Posts: 15,692
    children-of-men-baby1.jpg

Children of Men (2006)

I remember buying this on DVD in early 2007. I knew nothing of it, I only selected it because I was a big fan of Clive Owen and Michael Caine. I was totally not prepared for how fantastic the film was. Stunning directing from Cuaron, gorgeous cinematography from Lubezki, powerhouse performances from Owen and Caine. The film's 100 minutes really fly by. And those single-shot sequences are off-the-charts: the attack on the road, the escape from the farm and Owen's walking out of the building with the young woman while the fighting stops and all the soldiers looking shocked at what Owen is carrying will forever remain in my memories. One of the best films I've ever seen.