Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Interstellar (2014)

I was in the mood for something moving and epic. So I put in Chris Nolan's 2014 opus about a space mission to save Earth. This is the 2nd time I've watched it this year, and the experience was just as good this time around. Affecting, visually splendrous and with an outstanding score, this film hits the spot. It could have done with just a little less of the personal melodrama which wasn't to my liking, but despite this I had a good time. There are some truly fantastic individual scenes, especially the drone chase at the start, the tidal wave on Miller's planet, the confrontation with Dr. Mann on Mann's planet, and of course the incredible Endurance docking scene near the end, which is one of the most amazing things I've seen on film. Hoyte Van Hoytema really was on fire here. Hans Zimmer outdoes himself with the score as well, which is both emotional and soaring, with organs blaring at full blast in space.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    children-of-men-baby1.jpg

Children of Men (2006)

I remember buying this on DVD in early 2007. I knew nothing of it, I only selected it because I was a big fan of Clive Owen and Michael Caine. I was totally not prepared for how fantastic the film was. Stunning directing from Cuaron, gorgeous cinematography from Lubezki, powerhouse performances from Owen and Caine. The film's 100 minutes really fly by. And those single-shot sequences are off-the-charts: the attack on the road, the escape from the farm and Owen's walking out of the building with the young woman while the fighting stops and all the soldiers looking shocked at what Owen is carrying will forever remain in my memories. One of the best films I've ever seen.

An EXCELLENT movie that everyone should own a hard copy of before it disappears from streaming.
    Chinatown
    The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug
    The Hobbit - The Battle of the Five Armies
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @SharkBait, Chinatown? I give you kudos for watching such a film around the cheery holidays.
    I haven't been in a Christmas mood lately.
    Apart for a few comedies, I have watched a bunch of horror films from Netflix.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Passengers (2016)
    Criminally underrated. Don't let critics fool you into avoiding this one. I loved it.
    The Exorcist

More cheery movies to get me through the holidays.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    jake24 wrote: »
    Passengers (2016)
    Criminally underrated. Don't let critics fool you into avoiding this one. I loved it.

Thanks @jake24, I have to see this with my teenage cousin tomorrow night, so hopefully I will like it too. @bondjames I will see Michael Keaton in 'The Founder' tomorrow afternoon.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I'm looking forward to your comments on The Founder @DaltonCraig007. I'm glad you enjoyed Passengers @jake24. Any film with JLaw in that black dress can't be bad.

Die Hard 2 - Die Harder (1990)
    Z4aWUyc.jpg
    I was in the mood for something distinctly Christmas'y'. So I put in one of my favourite action films from the 90's. This movie gets a bad rap, but it's subjectively my 2nd favourite Die Hard film, behind the classic original. It doesn't have a villain with the same off the charts charisma as the late Alan Rickman in the original, but it makes up for it (imho) with wall to wall action and a bevy of interesting characters, including William Sadler's Colonel Stuart, Franco Nero's General Esperanza, John Amos's Major Grant, Dennis Franz's Captain Carmine Lorenzo, & Fred Thompson's Trudeau.

Bruce Willis is in total bad ass mode here. His legendary John McClane takes out a slew of perpetrators in interesting ways. The baggage track fight, the Annex Skywalk ambush, the aircraft ejection escape and the finale atop the 747 are all awesome.

This film has one of my favourite exchanges from the franchise: "Too bad, McClane. I kind of liked you." "I got enough friends!"
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    image-w1280.jpg?1445894925

The Way Back (2010)

This is another one of my personal favorites. Gorgeous landscapes across a wide area (Siberia, Mongolia, China, India), lush soundtrack, and powerful performances from all the main actors - especially from Ed Harris and Colin Farrell who are off the charts. I saw this in cinema in late 2010 (6 years already?!) and was instantly hooked on this film. I love these road-movies, so when they do one mixed with a WW2 setting and add guys like Farrell and Harris, and I am sure to love it. A great companion piece to 'The Hunter' that I saw 2 days ago - the kind of films that make me want to travel to these fantastic locations.
    Today, there could be only one movie I could watch. I'm talking of course of A New Hope. Still as good as ever, even if I prefer The Empire Strikes Back. Which I'll probably watch sometimes this week.
  • Dial 'M' for Murder Another experiment by the master, I have see this film hundreds of times though I just love the character interactions in this one great suspense built on such a small set.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    MALEFICENT

This was surprisingly good. Angelina Jolie does the role of her life here. And the sets and photowork are magnificent

Later I tried watching JURASSIC PARK III, but had to turn it off. What a load of crap.
    So me and Amanda ( my wife) saw national lampoons Christmas vacation and sorry each year I watch it some things work for me some things don't

Let's get the bad out of the way first.. I don't like 95% of the time Randy Quaid is on screen not that I hate the actor just the character gross humor doesn't work for me maybe when I was 2 it did but at 30 I find nothing funny about bodily fluids. Julie Dreyfus and her husband Todd (can remember Julie's character) is just ok but really are just filler characters who feel like well filler characters.

Though there are some great moments. John Hughes does deliver a good script (this is pre home alone 2 and before his career went down hill) I like chevy chase in the physical comedy stuff I understand some of the frustrations he has (I still don't get why he only fantasizes about other women but I guess the idea of sparky fantasizing about a three way between his wife and the shop clerk is too much for 1980's "family" comedies) the music is fantastic (I am seriously considering buying Christmas vacation because that song is still stuck in my head) the parents and arguments between them hit a little to close to home (ironically enough my ex gf's parents I feel would of gotten along better with my parents then my inlaws but I love my wife more then I ever did my ex so you take the good and bad then you get the facts of life) I also am annoyed at the ending slightly (sorry I am a Christian I understand my beliefs aren't shared by many people some of whom even celebrate Christmas but don't hint at the Christmas star but don't go all the way)

But over all the film is a solid 7/10

Up next on Her Majesties Secret Service and then likely Scrooged
    edited December 2016 Posts: 15,692
    The Founder (2016)

I am not a particular fan of biopics, but 'The Founder' quickly reminded me of another film I really enjoy: 'Frost/Nixon'. Not a groundbreaking film by any means, and this type of story has been done over a hundred times. But, as with the stunning cast in 'Frost/Nixon', this film features a powerhouse performance from Michael Keaton, who is totally unhinged and just chews up the scenery in every scene he's in (which means every single scene in the film). The plot goes at a very rapid pace, and it's very entertaining to see Keaton' Ray Kroc use his 'very specific set of skills' to get as much money as he can from his business ventures. It really is quite something to see Michael Keaton starting to become an A-list actor in this type of films at over 60 years old. Of course I knew him as Batman, but ever since 'Birdman' he totally unplugged himself, and just owns the screen in every film he makes. Can't wait for 'American Assassin' next year. There are several scenes in the movie where Keaton absolutely commanders the attention of the viewers, and I almost forget there were other characters in the same room he was in.

@bondjames, you will really enjoy this film. Keaton is just phenomenal here.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Hopefully Keaton makes for a good villain in Spider-Man. A lot of the film's success will fall on his shoulders.
    Jesus christ, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I forgot Keaton was in that too. Thanks for reminding me. He seemed very chilling in the trailer released earlier this month.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    This just arrived... you think I'll enjoy it?

ts0ayyM.jpg
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Following @DaltonCraig007's recommendation a page ago, I watched the following film:

THE HUNTER

423441-hit-hunter.jpg

Daniel Nettheim's 2011 thriller stars Willem Dafoe in what may very well be his best role to date. He plays a hireling who is sent to Tasmania by a powerful company to kill the last living specimens of the Tasmanian tiger. Apart from not being too fond of his local contact (Sam Neill), Dafoe has to stay at a lodge whose owners, a mother and her two children, seem a confused bunch. While sussing out what could have happened to the family's husband and father, he learns about hostilities creeping in on himself from all sides.

We spend a lot of time in beautiful, foggy forests amidst stunning vistas while Dafoe is pursuing more than merely animals on the verge of extinction. The real fulcrum point of the film comes with the heart-warming establishing of an honest and endearing relationship between Dafoe and the two kids from the lodge.

THE HUNTER is a calm, sober and beautiful film with an amazing scenery and a great performance by Dafoe. The film's ending put tears in my eyes.

Huge recommend.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @DarthDimi, I had always wanted to see that movie because I'm a very big fan of Dafoe's and wanted to see something more recent that gave him a starring role - never got around to it until @DaltonCraig007's recommendation, either! Was glad I did, because I thought the film was excellent.
    @DarthDimi beyond Dafoe's performance, I thought the little mute boy totally stole the show as well.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to your comments on The Founder @DaltonCraig007. I'm glad you enjoyed Passengers @jake24. Any film with JLaw in that black dress can't be bad.

Z4aWUyc.jpg
    I was in the mood for something distinctly Christmas'y'. So I put in one of my favourite action films from the 90's. This movie gets a bad rap, but it's subjectively my 2nd favourite Die Hard film, behind the classic original. It doesn't have a villain with the same off the charts charisma as the late Alan Rickman in the original, but it makes up for it (imho) with wall to wall action and a bevy of interesting characters, including William Sadler's Colonel Stuart, Franco Nero's General Esperanza, John Amos's Major Grant, Dennis Franz's Captain Carmine Lorenzo, & Fred Thompson's Trudeau.

Bruce Willis is in total bad ass mode here. His legendary John McClane takes out a slew of perpetrators in interesting ways. The baggage track fight, the Annex Skywalk ambush, the aircraft ejection escape and the finale atop the 747 are all awesome.

This film has one of my favourite exchanges from the franchise: "Too bad, McClane. I kind of liked you." "I got enough friends!"

Always loved Die Hard 2. My favorite of the series, and the most Christmasy, really.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

Z4aWUyc.jpg

Always loved Die Hard 2. My favorite of the series, and the most Christmasy, really.

Die Hard 2 was the first DH film I saw (back when there were still three). Funnily enough the last of the trio I saw was the first one.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @bondjames, don't forget the brutal icicle kill! Nasty stuff, great that he thinks to use it as a weapon at the last second before the bad guy kills him.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @bondjames, don't forget the brutal icicle kill! Nasty stuff, great that he thinks to use it as a weapon at the last second before the bad guy kills him.

Talk about a cold kill
    =))
    New York, New York (1977). Mixed feelings about this older Scorsese film; really up and down in quality IMO.
    Passengers (2016)

Thanks to @jake24's positive review, I actually managed to enjoy this film. I am a sucker for any film where 1 (or more) character wakes up alone in a random place. I can't stand Jennifer Lawrence, but here she was alright. The first 20 minutes are with Chris Pratt only, and as I am a big fan of his, I quickly got sucked into the film's world. The film really flew by (apart from a few scene in the middle concerning the love story), and some interesting things in the last third of the film made this film quite fun. I had 0 expectations before seeing this, but I certainly did not feel, as the end credits started, that I wasted 2 hours Michael Sheen as the robot was one of the highlights, he had great comedic timing.
    Amazing how much Laurence Fishburne has aged since The Matrix, while Keanu Reeves still looks the same he did in 1999.
    Just watched Ethel and Ernest tonight on BBC 1.

ethel-and-ernest.jpg

A gorgeous, bittersweet film based on a book by Raymond Briggs (The Snowman, When the Wind Blows).

The film follows the life and times of Briggs' parents, Ethel and Ernest, from the early days of their courtship in the 1920's up until their final days in the 1970's.

Like all of Briggs' work, this film is utterly charming and really knows how to tug on the heart-stings. Family friendly which is great for this time of the year and well worth a watch. Beautiful counter-programming to all the big blockbuster movies screening on TV during the holidays/
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote: »
    This just arrived... you think I'll enjoy it?

ts0ayyM.jpg

Of course you'll enjoy it. It's one of the best Roger Bond films ever. Roger's Skyfall. ;)
    Mean Streets
    Revolutionary Road
    The King of Comedy