Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Double billed Star Wars: Rogue One and Manchester by the Sea today. Posted quick thoughts on the first one in the Star Wars thread. As for 'Manchester', it's a really stunning film, powerful drama with superb performances, especially from the teen who plays Patrick (Kyle Chandler's son) and Casey Affleck. Affleck is a definite front runner for the Best Actor Oscar. I think only Denzel Washington in 'Fences' can beat him, will be very close between them.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    ROGUE ONE

Left the theatre just a few minutes ago. Literally walking as I'm writing this. More to come soon. Just wanted to say: I'M SUPERJAZZED! First half dragged a bit in my opinion but once the action kicked in... WOW! Seriously, I'm one of those people who like STAR WARS mainly for the dog fights so uh... BEST SPACE BATTLES EVER!!!

Seriously!

Oh and there's a moment near the end of the film where something happens that made me geek out like you wouldn't believe... It's
    when the lights go out and Vader suddenly slaughters a full dozen rebels or so. Best . Vader . Force . Moment . EVER!

I'm very - very pleased! :D
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Totally agree @DarthDimi, this wasn't only the best space battle ever, but probably one of the best climaxes I've seen in a long, long time. 30 minutes of pure, entertainment with people flying all over the place, stuff exploding, space ships flying around and shooting at everything that moved. I guess I just experienced what the Liparus battle in TSWLM felt like on the big screen.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I Wake Up Screaming (1941)
    Film Noir staring Victor Mature & Betty Grable. Grable might not sing and/or dance in this, but she still had an alluring screen presence.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Tombstone (1993). My personal favorite western movie; love it.

It's my favorite, as well, fantastic movie.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 12,276
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Tombstone (1993). My personal favorite western movie; love it.

It's my favorite, as well, fantastic movie.

It is excellent. Highly entertaining and thoroughly enjoyable.

Continuing to watch every Scorsese film, I watched Boxcar Bertha (1972), his second movie. It's definitely one of his weakest films, but it did have a heck of an ending. Overall though, it felt like a big step down from his first movie Who's That Knocking at My Door (1968), a movie I found to be very good.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    The November Man

Nice to see Pierce in top form again, he brings great charisma to this film. Olga does pretty well too.

Too bad about some loose ends in the screenplay. In the end an ok spy film, but nothing exceptional.
    Rome Express - This 1930's movie was the granddaddy of the train movies and was mostly shot in the studio which you completely forget. Its great stars are mostly unknowns today but they do the job well. I quite like a this window on a world of 84 years ago. A nifty little mystery too.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Rogue one
    Dirty Harry (1971)
    What a great film this is.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    001 wrote: »
    Dirty Harry (1971)
    Totally utterly solid film.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    001 wrote: »
    Dirty Harry (1971)
    Totally utterly solid film.
    Outstanding. I prefer Magnum Force, but Dirty Harry is a classic, which has been imitated many times but never bettered imho.
  • Rogue One

Not perfect but the finale.... holy crap! may be one of the best in the series!!!

The last third of the film is better then anything since the original trilogy!!
  • The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
    The most horrifying picture I have ever seen! You will never forget seeing this movie!
  • The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
    The most horrifying picture I have ever seen! You will never forget seeing this movie!
    Ahh that's a great classic. Talk about teaching you to never pick up a hitch hiker!
    I have the 40th anniversary bluray and I love it!

I often ask myself, which horror franchise had the WORST sequels, and unfortunately TCM is right up there with Halloween (and probably NOES, but I haven't seen them all)

TCM2 has a certain charm, but 3 & especially 4 are forgettable. The remakes actually fare pretty well, and then you've got the newest 'Texas Chainsaw', the 3D one. That caught my attention by being a direct sequel to the first, but that is the one good thing about it. Unless you count the beautiful Alexandra Daddario, that is.

I sure wish they didn't radically change the tone with part 2. Just imagine if it was a true sequel to the original, maybe better sequels could have stemmed from it. Oh well.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2016 Posts: 13,894
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
    Ahh that's a great classic. Talk about teaching you to never pick up a hitch hiker!
    I have the 40th anniversary bluray and I love it!

I often ask myself, which horror franchise had the WORST sequels, and unfortunately TCM is right up there with Halloween (and probably NOES, but I haven't seen them all)

TCM2 has a certain charm, but 3 & especially 4 are forgettable. The remakes actually fare pretty well, and then you've got the newest 'Texas Chainsaw', the 3D one. That caught my attention by being a direct sequel to the first, but that is the one good thing about it. Unless you count the beautiful Alexandra Daddario, that is.

I sure wish they didn't radically change the tone with part 2. Just imagine if it was a true sequel to the original, maybe better sequels could have stemmed from it. Oh well.

TCM is a horror classic. I mentioned recently about Prime Cut having a sweaty grubby-ness to it, this film also has it.

As for which horror film series has the worst sequels, it has to be Hellraiser. A few horror franchises have managed to notch up a number of theatrically released sequels (only to fall curse to the reboot craze) while others eventually fall into DTV releases. But Hellraiser is the only horror films series, that started theatrically with it's first 4 films, then fell into DTV with it's next 4 films, and then to fall further into aschan with it's 9th film. Whether the 10th film, Hellraiser: Judgement, can turn the series around remains to be seen.
    Had myself a little Star Wars marathon.
    I watched Star Wars from Rogue One through episodes 4, 5 , 6 and finishing with The Force Awakens.

I have to say that with Disney Star Wars is in the right hands. Both Rogue One and TFA I feel were closer to the authentic feel of the original trilogy, than we would be with Lucas in charge. Both new movies feel like they came from the same mold as the original films unlike the prequel trilogy that felt too cartoonish and childish, riddled with bad acting and bad dialogue.

Still, next up; The Phantom Menace.
    Yeppee!
  • Rogue One

tumblr_mmjxcyZlvG1rgarj7o1_500.gif

Disney scored a hit with this one
    SUPERMAN THE MOVIE and SUPERMAN II

Christopher Reeve double feature tonight. I actually watched the 2nd one first, then felt compelled to watch the first.
    Chris, IMO truly embodied the comic Superman from my generation brought to life.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Strangers on a Train impressed by the remaster on BD, quite an insane film brilliant performance by Walker. Not a top ten Hitchcock film for me, though Hitch made some truly amazing films. Strangers on a Train is still a very good film, recommend to anyone who has not seen it.

Watching the sequel to Rogue One
    Walker is truly brilliant in Strangers on a Train.
  • Walker is truly brilliant in Strangers on a Train.
    Extremely good I never recalled seeing Robert Walker in any other films of note his talent deserved more, his son played a not too dissimilar role in the Star Trek episode Charlie X.

• KaijuDirectorOO7KaijuDirectorOO7 Once Upon a Time Somewhere...
    edited December 2016 Posts: 189
    Rogue One, AKA Star Wars Episode IV-and-a-half: The Catharsis Awakens
  • Rogue One, AKA Star Wars Episode IV-and-a-half: The Catharsis Awakens

Should that be Episode III 1/2

;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Indeed.
    Let's just call Rogue One "the prequel to Star Wars". How about making this Episode III? We can forget things after all. ;-)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Just came back from ROGUE ONE, and what a fantastic epic experience it is. Disney remains my favourite Illuminati consortium.
  • The Saragossa Manuscript (1965): Relatively close to the source novel with some added humor, extremely surreal aestethics and funky proto-electronic sounds.
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Star Wars - The Force Awakens (2015)

This was my first watch of this film since I saw it twice in the theatre upon release last year. It was my 2nd favourite film of 2015 (behind MI-Rogue Nation). A glorious & emotional spectacle that brought back all that was best about the Star Wars series which had, sadly, been lost with Lucas's decidedly inferior (imho) prequels. Upon viewing it tonight I realize what this film has that I enjoy so much. In a few words: heart and soul. In a way, I am reminded of 1995's GE. Like that classic Bond entry, TFA just hits all the key buttons beautifully. It's a tad derivative and nostalgic for sure, like GE, but I similarly care about all the characters, find the performances top notch, love the score and am immersed in the proceedings throughout. I noticed tonight that the special effects (particularly during key battle scenes) are a bit weak in comparison to the recent Rogue One, but on every other measure I far prefer the earlier film, and really look forward with keen anticipation to the next entry in 2017.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @bondjames, I fully agree. I loved The Force Awakens. It's my second favorite Star Wars movie under The Empire Strikes Back.
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @Murdock, have you seen Rogue One yet? I watched it on Friday and while I did enjoy it (it's technically brilliant), I didn't get the same warm fuzzies afterwards that I had when I watched TFA last year. Most folks are much more positive on the new film than I am, so I feel like I have to watch it again and see if I can get a better perspective.