Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    chrisisall wrote: »
    LOTR: Return Of The King. Superb ending, only why does
    Frodo leave the Shire
    ? Oh well, it was epic and grand & sweeping & touching. I may have to get these on Blu Ray for the next time around.

I did a quick search and apparently...
    The ring continues to make Frodo sick, even once it is destroyed, that's why he leaves Middle Earth.

Thank you sir! I never read the last book...
    :-S
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited January 2017 Posts: 8,158
    That's alright, I never read the trilogy! ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @DarthDimi, I saw the fifth installment without realizing it was the fifth, just the "new" one. Don't believe I've ever seen the fourth one.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    None of them are good, @Creasy47, but 4 and 5 are the biggest load of crap.
    LOTR is awesome. I'm watching the extended edition of Return of the King (2003) right now - my favorite one!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Sleepaway Camp films have passed me by. Reading your post @DarthDimi, doesn't look like I have missed much.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,612
    #MajorDSmythe, you haven't. This entire series plays like one steep cascade of failure after failure. I was won over by this Wikipedia line,

"Released at a time when slasher films were in their heyday, the film is infamously known for its twist ending, which is considered by some to be one of the most shocking endings among horror films."

and must now conclude that the exaggeration couldn't have been bigger. This thing is not of the same average quality as your beloved F13 and my beloved Nightmare series, nor can it compete with Halloween, Hellraiser, Child's Play, Wrong Turn, Saw, Texas Chain Saw Massacre or Phantasm. Even the Silent Night Deadly Night films, dreadful to watch though they are, reach higher standards, and with considerable ease, even if they deliver Mickey Rooney as a devious toymaker and Maud Adams as the leader of a lesbian cult. As far as multi-sequel slasher series go, Sleepaway Camp is arguably the worst I have ever sat through.
    Spy was OK I was expecting alot worse, I actually laughed at Melisa Mccarthy something I thought would never do.

Friday 13th remake switched off after 45 minutes, thought it was pretty dreadful.
    Star Wars: Rogue One (2016). Meh.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Star Wars: Rogue One (2016). Meh.

You're being kind.

You're probably right. The more I think about it the worse.
    Just had a nice rewatch of Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980). I know it's an unoriginal opinion, but it's my favorite Star Wars film. Just excellent entertainment.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Rogue One seems to be the polarizing film of the moment. I can't remember the last film that had a fan base so at odds as to a movie's quality.
  • Friday 13th remake switched off after 45 minutes, thought it was pretty dreadful.

45 minutes is too generous.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    FROST

I had a couple of problems with it. I hated the songs, and I didn t care much for how the characters were animated. Too glossy, no soul.
    KNOCK KNOCK
    minor spoilers

Knock_Knock_still.jpg

I have a confession to make: I like Keanu Reeves. There were times when it was quite in vogue to make fun of him or to mock his acting, but Keanu keeps fighting back and successfully so. He was adequate in SPEED, he kept his cool in THE MATRIX and he's absolutely relentless in JOHN WICK. Now when Keanu does a film with that other cool guy, Eli Roth, I'm there. Roth has been responsible for some pretty effective gore flicks, some of which I consider outstanding achievements in there own genre. However, KNOCK KNOCK is a fairly harmless home invasion film, more focused on psychological fighting than on physical violence. In that sense, I'm amazed HOSTEL's Eli Roth was able to maintain constraints, seeing how he usually gets very exploitative and bloody very fast.

One rainy night; two girls come knocking on Keanu's door, soaked and cold. A good father and husband - but now home alone - Keanu invites them in, albeit reluctantly, and some spicy conversations take place. Keanu refuses to give in to the girls' seductive games before he finally cracks and some serious 'doing it' ensues. The very next morning, his life has taken a nasty turn for the worse.

During the trials that await Keanu, I'm pulsating with one question: will he be smart enough? Stories like these allow us to strategically plan escapes along with our lead character and a good script builds tension by giving us enough escape attempts. KNOCK KNOCK makes Keanu somewhat of a bumbler; ultimately, no matter how kind a man he is, sleeping with these girls was a tremendous mistake and he will pay for that. As things are looking worse and worse for him, I'm constantly wondering what criminal outrage the girls will perpetrate next. Sadly, there's a repetitive nature to things which dims the senses and makes me dissipate a lot of adrenaline so that I'm more or less left indifferent right before the climax. I guess the final moments of the film are a bit twisty and tense, but I'm never as excited and tensed up as I was during, say, THE HUMAN CENTIPEDE or HARD CANDY.

The thing is, KNOCK KNOCK does work in some regards. The girls, despite their generous flaunting during one scene, are so despicable, I spend most of the film's time hating their guts and their crazy minds. And I'm waiting for Keanu to step in and go John Wick on them. But that's not his character, so it's another kind of story and I have failed to deal with that. In that sense, my lessened enthusiasm for this film is my own mistake, and other viewers might rather appreciate the absence of violence. I don't know.

One more thing, KNOCK KNOCK is a remake of a 70s film called DEATH GAME, which I have yet to watch. Perhaps that film will do more for me.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Rogue One seems to be the polarizing film of the moment. I can't remember the last film that had a fan base so at odds as to a movie's quality.
    Not since SPECTRE.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2017 Posts: 28,694
    @DarthDimi, I'm of the opinion that Keanu Reeves delivers the single greatest speech in modern moviemaking during Knock Knock.
    Evan Webber: Death? Death? You're gonna kill me? You're gonna fucking kill me? Why? WHY? Because I fucked you? You fucked me! You fucked ME! You came to MY house! You came to ME! I got you a car, I brought you your clothes, you took a fuckin' BUBBLE BATH! You wanted it! You wanted it! You came on to me! What was I supposed to do? You sucked my cock, you both fucking sucked my cock! It was FREE PIZZA! Free fuckin' pizza! It just shows up at my fuckin' door! What am I supposed to do? "We're flight attendants. Come on, fuck us! No one will know. Come on, fuck us!" Oh, twosomes, threesomes. It doesn't matter! Starfish! Husbands! You don't give a fuck, you'll just fuck anything, you'll just fuck anything! Well, you lied to me, I tried to help you! I let you in, I was a good guy, I'm a good father! And you just fucking fucked me! What? Now, you're gonna kill me? You're gonna kill me? Why? Why? 'Cause you fucked me? What the fuck-FUCK-FUCK, this is fucking insane!
    What an A-class performance, and a film with a script that is second only to maybe Chinatown's.

I'm sorry, I can't even pretend on this one... :))
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    jake24 wrote: »
    Not since SPECTRE.

Wouldn't that be The Force Awakens.... :-S
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2017 Posts: 10,588
    Maybe, but the only place I seemed to witness heavy criticisms geared towards it was online. Everybody I know adored that movie.
    Not since SPECTRE.

@jake24, I was going to make that comparison but I don't think the divide was as even between those that liked and hated SP as it is for Rogue One. I'm hard pressed to find a positive review of SP, as with QoS all over again, and both films I think suffer from similar issues, at least partly centered on mob mentality.
    Not since SPECTRE.

@jake24, I was going to make that comparison but I don't think the divide was as even between those that liked and hated SP as it is for Rogue One. I'm hard pressed to find a positive review of SP, as with QoS all over again, and both films I think suffer from similar issues, at least partly centered on mob mentality.

No it simply has to do with poor direction, Mendes showed with SP that he lacks the talent to make a big cohesive movie and that action is not his strong point and that his vision and script were poor.

QoB only suffered because they followed the Bourne movies to close instead of going their own way.

• edited January 2017 Posts: 12,284
    Escape from New York (1981). Good one; high on entertainment value! I found Ernest Borgnine's performance to be the biggest highlight!
  • I tend to flip flop which I like better: that or Escape From LA.

Arguments can be made for both of them really!

I have to say, I'd much rather have a sequel than a remake (are they still even planning that? It's been quiet)
    As of right now, Kurt Russell is as old as Ford was in the last Indy movie. I can picture Snake being more and more entertaining the older and crankier he gets! :P
    Amazing Spiderman 2

Shame Garfield got the push as I liked him in the role.
    BATMAN
    the 1943 SERIAL directed by Lambert Hillyer

MTIxNDI3MjkzNzYzMTc1OTQ5.jpg

Before West, Keaton, Conroy, Bale, Affleck, ... there was Robert Lowery and before him, Lewis Wilson, who had the honour of being the first actor ever to play as Batman in theatres. A 15 chapter serial, playing for 260 minutes in total, was the first live action Batman we'd get.

It's tempting to disparage the serial considering its age but one really mustn't. Seeing where the comics were at around this time, Batman and Robin weren't still completely doused in campiness as they would be by the 60s. I'm not saying this serial plays like a Hitchcockian thriller - it really doesn't - but despite the fact that Batman's costume seems easy to mock, there's a legitimate attempt in this serial to strike a decent balance between comic book fantasy and something resembling serious drama. The villain, for example, is a Japanese character who has set up a crime ring around Gotham. Lest we forget, WWII was still claiming its dreadful share of casualties and so a Japanese bad guy, ostentatiously serving Hirohito, was an easy target for the American audiences. But in the wake of Pearl Harbour, few Americans would have dared not to take the villain and his plot somewhat seriously.

Over four hours of black-and-white Batman with some ambitious outdoor scenes and a few neat sets are the rather impressive result of this adaptation of the Batman comic, at that point barely 4 years old. Though Alfred, Robin en Batman are the only familiar characters in this serial - no Joker, Catwoman, ... - it's not such a tough chore to sit through this, that is if you don't treat older black-and-white stuff like it's a dangerous virus. Also, I think Batman fans should check this serial out at least once, it's mandatory. And with sufficiently lowered expectations and a good dose of fairness, one can even have a pretty good time.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Revenge Of Frankenstein (1958)
    Gets the honour of being the first film I have watched in 2017. It is also my favourite of the 7 Hammer Horror: Frankenstein series. I find Dr (Franken)Stein to be a likeable character, moreso than in the other films. He has no ulterior motives, and genuinely want to help Hans, even though what he is doing is in a dubious grey area.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I tend to flip flop which I like better: that or Escape From LA.

Arguments can be made for both of them really!

I have to say, I'd much rather have a sequel than a remake (are they still even planning that? It's been quiet)
    As of right now, Kurt Russell is as old as Ford was in the last Indy movie. I can picture Snake being more and more entertaining the older and crankier he gets! :P
    Seconded.
    :))
    @Birdleson, I have to re-visit that one soon.
    The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (1965)

Great film.
    THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1957)
    With all the talk of the CGI version of Peter Cushing in the newest Star Wars (which I have yet to see), I felt like watching the first teaming of Cushing and Christopher Lee in a Hammer horror.
    Hands down one of my favorite versions of the Frankenstein legend with Cushing cool, manipulative, confident and suave as Victor Frankenstein. Doing what ever it takes to achieve the success of his experiment, he's quite a cold character here. Killing his old science professor to steal his brain, blackmailing his tutor/assistant, and threatening his maid (played by the lovely and recently deceased Valerie Gaunt).
    Legally restricted from using the iconic Monster make-up from the Universal Frakensteins, Christopher Lee's Creature is designed to resemble a road accident victim with a botched stitched up decaying face. With his black peacoat and wig Lee brings a new image the the famous character, and plays him superbly.
    Cushing would reprise the role of Baron Frankenstein five more times with each being a completely different take on the Frankenstein character.
    Wondering if I should actually see what they did with Cushing's likeness in ROGUE ONE?