Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »
    The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (1965)

Great film.

It us a great film based on a great book, which I am currently reading for the second time.
    Downer, man. Great, but a definite buzz kill.
    b-(
    I look for quality films, how it makes me feel emotionally is irrelevant, so long as it does something to me.

If I subscribed to that, A Clockwork Orange would be the best movie ever made. :)>-
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    BATMAN
    the 1943 SERIAL directed by Lambert Hillyer

MTIxNDI3MjkzNzYzMTc1OTQ5.jpg

Before West, Keaton, Conroy, Bale, Affleck, ... there was Robert Lowery and before him, Lewis Wilson, who had the honour of being the first actor ever to play as Batman in theatres. A 15 chapter serial, playing for 260 minutes in total, was the first live action Batman we'd get.

It's tempting to disparage the serial considering its age but one really mustn't. Seeing where the comics were at around this time, Batman and Robin weren't still completely doused in campiness as they would be by the 60s. I'm not saying this serial plays like a Hitchcockian thriller - it really doesn't - but despite the fact that Batman's costume seems easy to mock, there's a legitimate attempt in this serial to strike a decent balance between comic book fantasy and something resembling serious drama. The villain, for example, is a Japanese character who has set up a crime ring around Gotham. Lest we forget, WWII was still claiming its dreadful share of casualties and so a Japanese bad guy, ostentatiously serving Hirohito, was an easy target for the American audiences. But in the wake of Pearl Harbour, few Americans would have dared not to take the villain and his plot somewhat seriously.

Over four hours of black-and-white Batman with some ambitious outdoor scenes and a few neat sets are the rather impressive result of this adaptation of the Batman comic, at that point barely 4 years old. Though Alfred, Robin en Batman are the only familiar characters in this serial - no Joker, Catwoman, ... - it's not such a tough chore to sit through this, that is if you don't treat older black-and-white stuff like it's a dangerous virus. Also, I think Batman fans should check this serial out at least once, it's mandatory. And with sufficiently lowered expectations and a good dose of fairness, one can even have a pretty good time.

I love the 2 Batman serials, and actually, they are my favorite live-action interpretations of the character. Of course who can forget the fact the Lewis Wilson was indeed Mickey G.;s father. The first Lewis Wilson serial is probably overall the better of the two, but I find the Robert Lowery serial to be more fun. Even though his costume is even less fitting, the Bat emblem is extremely cool, as is the Bat-Cave, and Wayne Manor. I love the fact Batman happens to use Bruce's car and is called on it in one of the chapters. Quite amusing. Both serials have that old school black and white almost noir feel that I love.
    Great stuff.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I look for quality films, how it makes me feel emotionally is irrelevant, so long as it does something to me.

If I subscribed to that, A Clockwork Orange would be the best movie ever made. :)>-

Its is a great one.

Yeah, it really is. Disturbed the s**t out of me in the revival theatre at 17....
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

MTIxNDI3MjkzNzYzMTc1OTQ5.jpg

You know, there's an actual possibility that I looked more like Batman than him just a few Halloweens ago! That costume sure is something! His briefs look bigger than his shirt! And that belt is high enough to double as a tie!

:))

An interesting tidbit about the Lewis Wilson Bats: the dude was only 23!!! He may not have looked it (back in the 40's men were MEN, lol) but do the math and there ya go! I couldn't believe it!

I haven't seen this or the Robert Lowery one, but based on your reviews I'll be sure to check them out!
  • A product of the times. Nobody was safe from spandex! This Bats looked less like a clown than the 70's Captain America for example.

I was only playing of course; for a 40's movie it's not bad.
  • Ohhhhh yeah that's good stuff. I had forgotten about Dead End! Did you catch the 'sequel' World's Finest? It has him and the buffest Superman I've ever seen! Mr Universe Michael O'Hearn plays him, who once hilariously painted himself green to look like The Hulk, on a special Halloween episode of American Gladiators!
    It is my biggest problem with modern ('80s on) Batman films. He's Iron Man. A cloth costume can look cool, it can be done. Check out BATMAN DEAD END on YouTube.
    Heh, I'm friends with two of the guys who worked on that. The Joker was the Son of the actor who played Chekov on Star Trek. The guy who played Batman was awesome.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2017 Posts: 28,694
    The movie batsuits have always tried to add a feeling of reality and logic to Batman's job. The cloth suit of the comics, padded as it is in spots, would still make him insanely vulnerable to knives and gunshots, so the movies have always compensated by making the costume look super armored.

The suits of the Batman Arkham games are a great visual mix of the ones from the comics and a more realistic armored shell.

The Affleck suit looks good, but at times it's so awkward to look at, as it's almost too beefy and looks uncomfortable to wear.
    I forgive Keaton's body armour because... Keaton!
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 12,284
    Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (2016). While not amazing, significantly better than I was expecting. Not a bad output from Burton. My updated, full ranking of Burton's films (excluding The Nightmare Before Christmas, which would come in second if ranked):

18. Dark Shadows
    17. Planet of the Apes
    16. Mars Attacks!
    15. Alice in Wonderland
    14. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    13. Frankenweenie
    12. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    11. Corpse Bride
    10. Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
    9. Batman Returns
    8. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
    7. Big Eyes
    6. Sleepy Hollow
    5. Ed Wood
    4. Beetlejuice
    3. Batman
    2. Edward Scissorhands
    1. Big Fish
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @FoxRox
    First I love your avatar, big StarFox fan here :D wanted to say it for a long time.

Tim Burton is my favourite living director closely followed by Ridley Scott.

I tend to love Burton's first half of his body of work better than the second half, but Dark Shadows has become a favourite of mine, Eva Green is spectacular, like in everything she's in really.
    Miss Peregrine will go down the same route also because of her.

My big hope is that she becomes a Burton regular like Depp and Bonham Carter.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Eva does have that special something that's perfect for Burton. She's a gothic goddess, for starters, and her range of material allows her to play what Burton likes to focus on, whether its interesting femmes with a bit of darkness to them all the way on the other side of the spectrum to playing a devious and almost cartoonish villainess that's more fun than earnest.

I'd love to see her as DC's Catwoman in the coming Batman films.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 9,781
    Rogue One seems to be the polarizing film of the moment. I can't remember the last film that had a fan base so at odds as to a movie's quality.
    Batman V Superman dawn of justice

Anyhoo new year new franchise I started off this year with Mission Impossible...

The first one is kind of interesting to me.... if Graves was Phelps and Kitredge really was the mole the film would be prefect the issue is well before I watched the show the twist worked for me after watching the 80's version of the show yeah no Phelps would never be evil even with the nonesence thrown in about "suddenly the president is running the country without your permission" the tv Jim Phelps to me always felt like the normal guy turned reluctant hero (along the lines of Macgyver and Before Bruce Willis Ego double billing John Mclane) a man who would be more then happy to retire and live a peaceful life but as long as evil exists he will fight it. And I am not sure who to honestly blame after seeing snake eyes it feels like the twist is a Depalma trope but Cruise was coming into his own and still there were a million ways to do the film without Phelps being the bad guy and Cruise still being the number one guy (I feel like him turning evil is slowly for the one bad ass line Good morning Mr Phelps but even still you could of had that line )

Enough ranting here is what worked I loved Cruise I loved how he didn't fire a gun once in the entire film I loved the embassy scene I loved both teams (and how in a short span you felt like both teams knew each other had each other's backs etc) I loved Jean Reno (why the bond films have never and likely will never use him I don't know sigh)

And the CIA scene was just super tense. So over all I put it at 6.0 out of ten anyways january 14th we go into John woo territory with Mission Impossible 2.

I plan on doing all 5 films and then maybe MAYBE one or two episode of both the original show and the 80's reboot to round it out before I move into die hard.

1. Mission Impossible
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Rogue One seems to be the polarizing film of the moment. I can't remember the last film that had a fan base so at odds as to a movie's quality.
    Batman V Superman dawn of justice

This is another one I'm not sure on, @Risico007. While not enough liked SP for it be called an even split amongst fans, I'm unsure of the same thing regarding BvS. Most fans I know didn't like it, but I guess I lack the data to make a judgement on just how split it was, as most of my perceptions stem from this site and a few random conversations I had at my university. Of those that didn't hate it, there was a sense that they were being generous in their praise and were more likely to call it "okay" than "good" or "great."

With Rogue One it's like every other post I read switches. One big fan says it's up there with the originals, then another calls it an abortion of cinema. Then another says it's in their top three, and another says it made them numb to any feeling, a bit hollow. Then another says it's one of the most satisfying movie experiences they've ever had, while the following post directly after makes it sound like the viewer nearly fell asleep during their screening.

With BvS it was more like this....

"Christ that was horrible."

"Worse than I expected."

"Did I just dream that nightmare?"

"I thought it was okay."

"I want to cut myself open just to feel something."

"Today, my childhood died."

Basically, some "meh" comments in a sea of massive complaints.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 9,020
    BvS is downright hated and ridiculed by about everybody. It bombed big time in Europe, especially in my region. I know no-one who has anything good to say about it, in fact it was quite the topic at my work place. It's the joke of the year.

Spectre isn't as divisive as people think here. In the real world it was almost as successful as Skyfall ticket sales wise (with the notable exception of the US) and quite frankly it got rave reviews everywhere in Europe.
    The stupid RT and Metacritic site are almost only made of US critics.

If Spectre hadn't caught on with the public it would never have sold as many tickets as Skyfall in Europe and the rest of the world (again without the US).

I get that perception of things can differ depending on where you live, but it's an error to think Spectre divided people. QOS did, Spectre did not.
  • I LOVED BvS. Throw me the wolves :))

I also have a feeling that in a few years it will have a cult following. It will be more appreciated I think.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 28,694
    I LOVED BvS. Throw me the wolves :))

I also have a feeling that in a few years it will have a cult following. It will be more appreciated I think.

I've already cooled on it, really. Some of it still angers me, but I've made a conscious decision not to let it bug me anymore, as it's just not worth it.

My hope (barely optimism) is that DC and Warner perform some miracle and Justice League makes BvS more of a retroactively good movie because of how it develops the characters next, thereby making it feel more like an important stepping stone to something greater. A big "if," that is.
    BvS is downright hated and ridiculed by about everybody. It bombed big time in Europe, especially in my region. I know no-one who has anything good to say about it, in fact it was quite the topic at my work place. It's the joke of the year.

Spectre isn't as divisive as people think here. In the real world it was almost as successful as Skyfall ticket sales wise (with the notable exception of the US) and quite frankly it got rave reviews everywhere in Europe.
    The stupid RT and Metacritic site are almost only made of US critics.

If Spectre hadn't caught on with the public it would never have sold as many tickets as Skyfall in Europe and the rest of the world (again without the US).

I get that perception of things can differ depending on where you live, but it's an error to think Spectre divided people. QOS did, Spectre did not.

That stuff about SP is true, but for some reason people take what Americans say as gospel and "fact" over everyone else worldwide. Why do you all do this? We're idiots over here!
    I loved Batman v superman
    edited January 2017 Posts: 9,020
    Tastes are different. @0BradyM0Bondfanatic The Americans have the same right to bury a film commercially or critically than any of the rest of the world.

But yes, way too much weight gets put on the US opinion on films in general.
    If a film bombs in the US but produces treasures of Gold galore in the rest of the world the industry and media still considers it a flop. That has changed a little bit luckily, but it's still a long way.

I said this numerous times, but I say it again (I am proud of it). In Switzerland SPECTRE outdid The Force Awakens by 300'000 tickets. SP 1'000'000+, TFA 700'000+
    Spectre was THE cinematic event of the decade. Even bigger than Skyfall.
    In Germany/Austria SP was only a little bit behind TFA in ticket sales which makes SP a huge success there as well.
    It's really so different in various regions of the world.

oh and to stay on topic :P the last movie I watched was QOS :D
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Overemphasis on US tastes has been prevalent for a long time, and I don't see it changing any time soon.

There have been many instances of former superstars losing favour in the US over time (it's a hyper competitive market, and it has a tendency to overglorify and then eat its former heroes alive). Folks like Stallone, Seagal, Michael Jackson, Arnie etc. etc. tend and tended to do much better overseas towards the end.

I don't see it changing, irrespective of actual facts, because the US dominates the cultural agenda of the English speaking world, along with the UK (to a lesser degree, but somewhat clandestinely, as English actors, directors and concepts infiltrate the US entertainment scene from within). It's a key component of 'soft power' that's projected globally.

That's why I believe we're in for a huge shakeup with B25. Despite its worldwide success, SP didn't do all that well in the US (even though its ticket sales were on par with other Bond films bar SF, the dropoff was quite noticeable, and the film generally has a bad rep) or in China, and both are huge markets.
    They can always cast Matt Damon as Bond No 7 if they want to please the US market.
    Maybe they will even get a lot of the Jason Bourne fans to watch it as they might not realise the difference.

J a s o n B o u r n e
    J a m e s B o n d
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    They can always cast Matt Damon as Bond No 7 if they want to please the US market.
    Maybe they will even get a lot of the Jason Bourne fans to watch it as they might not realise the difference.

J a s o n B o u r n e
    J a m e s B o n d

:))

J a s o n B o u r n e
    J a m e s B o n d

You sound like the producers during LTK when they didn't think Americans would know what "Revoked" meant, leading them to change the title. We ain't that stoopid!
    @BondJasonBond006

Thanks! Obviously I love Star Fox too; 64 and Assault are my favorites!

Burton has for a long time been in my Top 5 directors. Unfortunately, I really didn't much enjoy Dark Shadows. Still, he has an impressive list of films to his credit, and I rewatch many of them often.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Marnie (1964)

I was in the mood for some Hitchcock, having really enjoyed two superb Cary Grant (To Catch A Thief & North By Northwest) entries on New Year's Eve. So I put in this Sean Connery/Tippi Hedren starring mystery about a compulsive thief with repressed memories and strange psychological character quirks. I've always had a love/hate relationship with this film. When I first watched it as a youngster I found it a tad disturbing. Tippi's titular character actually frightened me, as I felt she would either snap and kill someone in the film. As I've matured however, I've really grown to appreciate this film. I'm fascinated by behavioural tics, heuristics and cognitive biases, and respect Hitchcock for dealing with this sort of subject in one of his films. Connery is excellent as Mark Rutland, the victim of one of Marnie's thefts and her would-be saviour. His character is a bit of a bastard (even when in love), but puts himself at great risk to help her. Tippi Hedren really is excellent as the emotionally disturbed lead. She brings the necessary level of uncomfortable neuroticism to Marnie. Bernard Hermann delivers a superb score as always. It's also good to see Mariette Hartley & Bruce Dern in early roles. The only real negative for me is the blu ray quality. It's really quite poor and soft focused in many close up scenes, which is disappointing.
    @bondjames

I soon will continue my Hitchcock-athon and post in the Hitchcock thread.

Imagine my disappointment when I watched Marnie the first and up to now only time on Blu-Ray. The goddamn DVD has better picture quality :((

It's quite puzzling how the quality of the Hitch films differ on Blu-ray. I'm going to re-watch The Trouble With Harry sometime this month and its picture quality is amazing!
    Imagine my disappointment when I watched Marnie the first and up to now only time on Blu-Ray. The goddamn DVD has better picture quality :((
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way @BondJasonBond006! I sold my dvd set before purchasing the blu ray and I really regret it now. It's so bad that it affects my enjoyment of the film. Pity.

I think the quality differences are due to different studios being behind the restoration activities depending on the film. It's not like the Bond films where they were all done by the same group.
    @bondjames

That's a good point and probably it. Don't know about the Bonds but they all look great to amazing on Blu which I'm really thankful for.
    I have both Bond Blu Ray Boxed sets and the one that does not look very, sadly, is TSWLM. Washed out. Has anyone else noticed this?

Not so much with TSWLM which looks actually quite good on BD. I have a bigger problem with SP I wonder if I have the colour setting on my tv right everytime you watch this. I tend to switch it of after Sam finishes singing having seen the best part of the movie.