Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    The+Squeeze+(1977).jpg

Equal parts character study and british crime drama/thriller. This is cut from the same cloth as Get Carter & The Sweeney (the 70's versions of both). Only available on the Warner Archive burn to order system, which insn't available outside the uk (but I acquired my copy from Ebay), this slice of 70's british cinema deserves a wider audience.

I won't post my keach ranking (The Squeeze is #1), as this is a re-watch).

And yes, the poster does say 'Directed By MICHAEL APTED' as in TWINE's Michael Apted. Though you won't belive it, given how terse The Squeeze is.

Oh my. So wanted to see this. Years ago when high-tech was owning a BetaMax video recorder I set it to record this very film, unfortunately that day there had been a killing of a policeman and unbeknownst to me the film was cancelled. Imagine my horror when I sat down to watch a gritty police drama and ended up with Dick f@king Emery's bloody awful Oh You Are Awful feature film in its stead!
    Still not seen The Squeeze.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Did a Ridley Scott double feature today, with American Gangster and Gladiator. Both are excellent movies, Russell Crowe really is the man, he just oozes confidence and charisma in every scene. Also the soundtrack in Gladiator.. Mesmerizing.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'John Wick'

It should be illegal for a film to be that entertaining. Wow. Didn't let me down and I was overly hyped up about it. Great film.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Avengers. It actually boggles my mind how entertaining this movie is... :-O
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Avengers. It actually boggles my mind how entertaining this movie is... :-O

the-avengers_610.jpg

Murdock wrote: »
    the-avengers_610.jpg
    Silly silly British man...

edited December 2014 Posts: 16,334
    Silly silly British man...

I'm not British. I'm full blooded American! I've told you this twice. =))

edited December 2014 Posts: 17,696
    That's my silly ubiquitous quote from Buffy's final ep, I've told everyone a hundred times! :))
    That's my silly ubiquitous quote from Buffy's final ep, I've told everyone a hundred times! :))
    Time to visit my friend's house as he has every season of Buffy on DVD. =))
    Time to visit my friend's house as he has every season of Buffy on DVD. =))
    Joss rules.
    I know I'm in the vast minority, but I've never been a big fan of The Avengers. I think it's one of the more overrated films to come out in recent years...
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I know I'm in the vast minority, but I've never been a big fan of The Avengers. I think it's one of the more overrated films to come out in recent years...

You might be getting your Avengers movies mixed up - The Avengers is the cinema version of the British drama series from the sixties, not the Marvel mash-up!
    edited December 2014 Posts: 17,696
    On the other side of the pond it's Avengers Assemble I believe.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Made 2 more double features, yesterday : Saving Private Ryan and Munich, (both 10/10), today : Der Untergang (10/10) and Gangs of New-York, which I hadn't seen in years (7/10).
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The+Squeeze+(1977).jpg

Equal parts character study and british crime drama/thriller. This is cut from the same cloth as Get Carter & The Sweeney (the 70's versions of both). Only available on the Warner Archive burn to order system, which insn't available outside the uk (but I acquired my copy from Ebay), this slice of 70's british cinema deserves a wider audience.

I won't post my keach ranking (The Squeeze is #1), as this is a re-watch).

And yes, the poster does say 'Directed By MICHAEL APTED' as in TWINE's Michael Apted. Though you won't belive it, given how terse The Squeeze is.

Oh my. So wanted to see this. Years ago when high-tech was owning a BetaMax video recorder I set it to record this very film, unfortunately that day there had been a killing of a policeman and unbeknownst to me the film was cancelled. Imagine my horror when I sat down to watch a gritty police drama and ended up with Dick f@king Emery's bloody awful Oh You Are Awful feature film in its stead!
    Still not seen The Squeeze.

If you can find a copy, buy it, I highly recommend The Squeeze.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @DaltonCraig007, I can't imagine a better double feature than 'Saving Private Ryan' and 'Munich.' It sounds too good to be true, I'll have to do this soon.
    @Creasy47 Do it, mate! Honestly it was epic, I had never seen those 2 films in succession before.

And I just finished The Aviator, hadn't seen that one in a while either, so I re-discovered how good it was!

You might be getting your Avengers movies mixed up - The Avengers is the cinema version of the British drama series from the sixties, not the Marvel mash-up!

Ah I see; I did indeed. Have not seen the other one :/

Ah I see; I did indeed. Have not seen the other one :/

You haven't missed much. Even with the great Sir Sean. I think the film was hacked to bits, I know there is quite a bit missing from the theatrical cut. It is a bit of a mess of a movie.
  • the hangover part III
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    His Girl Friday (1940)

HisgirlFriday.jpg

Here's a delicious screwball comedy starring Cary Grant many years before he and Hitchcock would work together. Imagine a film that works like a theatre play, with people talking at 120 mph and with situations getting more and more ridiculous by the minute. But in 1940, this was a pretty common form of comedy. People talk a lot and very fast and because they do, one tends to smile, one tends to laugh. This comedy isn't based on Seth Rogen barfing or Cameron Diaz teasing and badmouthing. This comedy is instead based on happy feel-good situations where a man's masculinity is overshadowed by the overpowering stamina of a woman - it were different times ;-) - and also on Grant's marvellous acting.

Great little time capsule.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 11,189
    God Cary Grant is/was great :) When I last saw North by Northwest he reminded me of Roger Moore...but cooler ;)
    If Grant had been British and maybe ten years younger, he'd have been a superb Bond. Well, maybe for the 50s that is. ;-)
    Edward scissorhands (1990), really good 8/10
    Dark city (1998), strange movie, but very unique 8/10
    The blair witch project (1999), no fan of the found footage genre... 4,5/10
    Sleeper (1973), wasn't that funny 5,5/10
    A christmas story (1983), liked it 7/10
    Brick (2005), just like old school film noir 7,5/10
    Senna (2010), Probably the most exciting documentary i have ever seen 9/10
    The long goodbye (1973), decent detective story, i find the older Phillip Marlowe movies better 6,5/10
    Predestination (2014), alright 6/10
    Splendor in the grass (1961), Very dated if you ask me 5,5-6/10
    Sixteen candles (1984), A fun teen comedy 7/10
    Elephant (2003), Nice storytelling and directing 8/10
    Heathers (1988), Different kinda teen movie, dark humour 7/10
    Easy A (2010), I liked it 7/10
    The vanishing (1988) It was ok 6/10
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    If Grant had been British and maybe ten years younger, he'd have been a superb Bond. Well, maybe for the 50s that is. ;-)

Cary Grant, or Archibald Leach, was British, born in Bristol in the Westcountry, and, was I'm sure thought of as a potential Bond at one point but he would have only committed to one film.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited December 2014 Posts: 2,138
    Frank Langella in Richard Kelly film The Box - This pays homage to the outer limits and the twighlight zone. It's very well done. Also stars Cameron Diaz and James Marsden.

edited December 2014 Posts: 15,694
    Blood Diamond (10/10), Inglourious Basterds (9/10) and A Beautiful Mind (9.5/10)
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    edited December 2014 Posts: 3,144
    Cary Grant was indeed British and a Bristolian a fact that we here in Bristol are verry proud of.http://www.carygrant.net/statue.html
    The hobbit the battle of the five armies (7/10)
    A decent finish to a decent trilogy.
    @Lancaster007 and @Mrcoggins, thanks guys, I stand corrected. ;-)

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies

the-hobbit-the-battle-of-the-five-armies-poster.jpg

I am a Hobbit sceptic. Never read the Tolkien books, but the Rings trilogy is truly amazing IMO. Then the first Hobbit films came and I found myself less invested. But after watching the third film - and I won't spoil it - I need to acknowledge its strengths. It is, indeed, a satisfying concluding chapter to this trilogy.

And now come the spoilers:
    With a title like this, there was never any doubt that this film would present some serious fighting. But be careful, it's barely more than Helm's Deep in Two Towers and still less than what we saw in Return Of The King.

Now my biggest beef with Hobbit is that various scenes are stretched and stretched just to reach the 3 or 2&1/2 hour mark. This film is no different. Let's not forget also that Battle is based on a couple dozens pages in the book, and so the scenario includes a lot of new material. But most of it, I've been told, is Tolkienish enough to be legitimate. Nevertheless, when compared to the more serious material we got in the Rings films, this one is still, essentially, a more naive, more 'childish' experience. But the dragon effects are awesome beyond measure, some wonderful wink-winks to the Rings films definitely please me and it all looks incredibly good.

So to summarize: good film and I recommend everyone who saw the first two Hobbit films to see this one also.