Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Factory (2012)

John Cusack and Jennifer Carpenter star in this grim police drama/thriller, about a pair of police officers on the trail of a weirdo kidnapping prostitutes in order to make them pregnant for reasons that aren't made clear.

Cusack ranking:
    1. Max (2002)
    2. Grosse Point Blank (1997)
    3. The Ice Harvest (2005)
    4. 1408 (2007)
    5. War Inc (2008)
    6. Bullets Over Broadway (1994)
    7. The Frozen Ground (2013)
    8. Identity (2003)
    9. Runaway Jury (2003)
    10. The Grifters (1990)
    11. Grand Piano (2013)
    12. Must Love Dogs (2005)
    13. The Numbers Station (2013)
    14. 2012 (2009)
    15. Shanghai (2010)
    16. The Contract (2006)
    17. The Raven (2012)
    *****18. The Factory (2012)*****
    19. America's Sweethearts (2001)
    20. Hot Tub Time Machine (2010)
    21. Drive Hard (2014)
    Christmas Vacation (1989)
    Hadn't seen this in a while, just had to pop it in, since it's christmas and all.
    Liked it very much 7/10
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Frost/Nixon
    Senna
    1: Life on the Limit
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Logan's Run (1976)
    One of my all-time favourite movies. Back in '76 I saw it in the theatre I don't know HOW many times. I bought the Marvel adaption (it was CRAZY brilliant), watched the dodgy TV series, read the novels upon which the film is loosely based (1 & 2 were AWESOME, I suggest skipping the third), an very recently secured the Blu Ray version. That was like going back in time to 1976 on the big screen. Ahhh, the memories!

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    We think opposite on so many levels. Gotta love it!

We do, but it makes for some great conversation and I don't think any less of you for it! Feel free to spoiler tag it if it involves spoilers, but what did you think 'Battle of the Five Armies' improved on that was lacking or bad in the first two 'Hobbit' installments?

The cinematography/color palette was much better. Only the very ending was back to Teletubbies territory, atmospherewise.
    There was also some genuine excitement and iconic scenes. They were also not drawn out and milked to death like in the first two.
    Also-more orks, more ringwraiths, more Christopher lee.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited December 2014 Posts: 17,864
    We think opposite on so many levels. Gotta love it!

We do, but it makes for some great conversation and I don't think any less of you for it! Feel free to spoiler tag it if it involves spoilers, but what did you think 'Battle of the Five Armies' improved on that was lacking or bad in the first two 'Hobbit' installments?

The cinematography/color palette was much better. Only the very ending was back to Teletubbies territory, atmospherewise.
    There was also some genuine excitement and iconic scenes. They were also not drawn out and milked to death like in the first two.
    Also-more orks, more ringwraiths, more Christopher lee.

You've clearly never heard of the Teletubbie Taliban then, dear @Thunderfinger?
    I had to google that.

A guy got killed by the talibananas for calling them teletubbies, so be careful.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @chrisisall

Yeah, learning about those comics (and a more recent run) I spent an hour searching for them on the Internet. I went to ebay and beyond but couldn't track 'em down completely. I hope they'll get re-issued some day - though I fear that may be naive optimism on my end. ;-)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The Deer Hunter (1978) Mesmerizing movie. De Niro and Walken are absolutely fantastic, 3 hours of cinematic brillance.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I rewatched 'Tombstone' the other night. What a fantastic film, and even though I'm a big fan of Michael Mann's 'Heat,' I think that's the best role I've ever seen Val Kilmer in. Tons of big names in that movie that I always manage to forget about, too, and a nice 'Aliens'/'Terminator' reunion with Bill Paxton and Michael Biehn. Wonderful movie.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @chrisisall

Yeah, learning about those comics (and a more recent run) I spent an hour searching for them on the Internet. I went to ebay and beyond but couldn't track 'em down completely. I hope they'll get re-issued some day - though I fear that may be naive optimism on my end. ;-)
    Go to some comic book websites- they HAVE to be available... here's one I found
    http://www.newkadia.com/?Logans_Run_Comic-Books=2253
    but shipping might be expensive.
    I totally loved the movie adaption & I got a chance to talk with the artist (George Perez) at a comic convention. When I asked him why LR seemed so much more awesome than his other already awesome work, he told me that he'd had surgery on his hand and that the doctors told him he might never use it perfectly again. LR was his first work after that.

'The Interview' (2014)

This film actually surprised me, and I thought it was hilarious. I can see where some North Koreans would be real upset with the turn of events in this movie, but there's a certain phrase I have for them for not being able to take a joke. Real funny, and I thought Franco was shining throughout the whole movie.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    A Christmas Story.
    I just love this movie. I could watch it all day long in fact I did. :P
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Hey, first review for it here - thanks, Creasy47! :) I am glad they are showing the film somehow.
    I rewatched 'Tombstone' the other night. What a fantastic film, and even though I'm a big fan of Michael Mann's 'Heat,' I think that's the best role I've ever seen Val Kilmer in. Tons of big names in that movie that I always manage to forget about, too, and a nice 'Aliens'/'Terminator' reunion with Bill Paxton and Michael Biehn. Wonderful movie.

Oh how I love Tombstone! Kurt Russell was great in it, too; but Val stole the movie. That is my very favorite role of his. Fantastic Doc Holliday. He was mesmerizing in The Doors and wonderful in Heat, but yeah: Tombstone it is #1. (I love him in The Saint, too.)

@4EverBonded, you're quite welcome! Wasn't as generic as I expected, had me laughing a whole bunch. The Alamo Drafthouse was showing it at a lot of locations but the one close by, so thankfully a VOD version was available today!

Totally agreed on Val stealing the show in that movie, his work was phenomenal and he was cold, calculating, and cool throughout.

"I'm your huckleberry..."
    How The Grinch Stole Christmas

Jim Carrey IS Sean Connery.
    Shutter Island
    Apocalypse Now
    Dances With Wolves
    Schinder's List
    No such class here:DIE HARD
    Yes, it has become a Christmas tradition here as well.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    No such class here:DIE HARD
    Yes, it has become a Christmas tradition here as well.

I was just about to post Die Hard. It wouldn't be Christmas without John going up against Hanz.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    'The Babadook'

Whatever, I didn't feel like sleeping tonight, anyway.
    That's it. I'm getting that movie.

I've heard nothing but praise about it and I'm in need of a good scary movie!

1408495006108_wps_19_The_Babadook_Movie_s_Phot.jpg

Well that's just great. I watched it with my girlfriend earlier and now I'm sitting here in my car on nightshift next to the woodline and ALL I CAN THINK ABOUT IS THE DAMN BABADOOK. That movie was so creepy . It started off a little slow but when
    she initially tore up the book only to find it on her doorstep patched together WITH added pages that would have been it for me!!! :-O

But joking aside, it was a very good movie- a horror movie with brains. BTW, did you know if you go to 'thebabadook.com' you can actually buy a replica of the book!! It's pretty expensive ($60 + $20 shipping) but the book was pretty complex and creative.

So watch The Babadook. But I'd suggest not watching it alone

I watched this last night. Unfortunately I watched it alone. It was very unnerving. Really a great movie, and proof you don't have to go over the top with gore or budget to make a great horror film. If I'm alone at night and hear three sharp knocks I know I'll feel the hair stand up on my neck ;)
    @Sark, I'm glad you liked it, as well! "Unnerving" is definitely the perfect word to describe this movie. Gave me chills and I found myself walking to my lit room a little faster after watching this. ;)

I always love stumbling upon little horror gems like this, that needn't go over-the-top with cheap jump scares or tons of gore to try and get the audience worked up. It was simplistic, psychological, tense, and the few jump scares we did get were more than enough to freak me out. I'd say out of every 50 horror films that I've seen lately, only one or two manage to stand out, and this is one of them. I'm a big horror fan, but lately, we're delivered the same garbage that doesn't tell a proper plot, have any likable characters, or manage to scare me in the slightest, unfortunately.
    DIE HARD 2
    Totally stupid sequel in oh so many ways.
    The Bishop's Wife - one of my fav Christmas movies.
    I love the whole period/era. And Cary really is so very wonderful.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    DIE HARD 2

Still better than A Good Day To Kill The Franchise...ere I mean Die Hard 5...
    Murdock wrote: »
    DIE HARD 2

Still better than A Good Day To Kill The Franchise...ere I mean Die Hard 5...

I have not seen that one. Here is how I rank the rest:

1.DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE The best by far, and the chemistry between Willis and Jackson is great.
    2. DIE HARD The original is a classic
    3. DIE HARD 4.0 It has its moments
    4. DIE HARD 2-DIE HARDER Why? WHY?did I watch this dribble without pay?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    I just watched 'The Towering Inferno' (1974) last night.

It was one of my favourites as an opinionated little kid. I much preferred it to the other disaster movies of the era, including Earthquake. It's closest competition, for a small impressionable fella growing up, was the Poseiden Adventure.

Anyway, revisiting on Blu ray after all these years, I can definitely say the movie holds up very well. Superb ensemble cast for the ages, with the great McQueen and Newman in top form, along with other greats like William Holden, Fred Astaire, Richard Chamberlain, and a small part for OJ Simpson as well. Susan Blakely looked as beautiful as I remembered her.

The special effects were incredible for its time, and I am pretty sure Die Hard was inspired by this movie as there are several similarities in some of the scenes.

I was particularly impressed by the work in the elevator shaft, which looked very realistic, as well as some scenes on a broken stairwell.

The most chilling bit was at the end, when McQueen's fireman tells Newman's architect: "You know, we were lucky tonight. Body count's less than 200. You know, one of these days, you're gonna kill 10,000 in one of these firetraps, and I'm gonna keep eating smoke and bringing out bodies until somebody asks us... how to build them." I immediately thought of the World Trade Centre Towers, that collapsed 26 years later. The fact that the novels that inspired this movie were themselves inspired by the construction of the World Trade Centre was particularly poignant.

Great 70's disaster flick.

PS: On the Die Hard debate, that last one......nearly killed me. Willis should be ashamed. He is privileged to have one of the greatest franchises of all time available for him to work on at his age, and he screws it up with that disgrace. Shameful.
  • Mi6LisbonBranchMi6LisbonBranch Lisbon, Portugal
    The Equalizer, last night. Very decente film, although a formula that beguins to get to much explored. But Denzel really is a fine actor and he is perfect for the character portraied in this movie.
    The last action sequence seems a bit to long, but overall the pace is adequate, and although we basically know what's coming next, still keeps the movie suspensfull.
    Titanic, Raging bull, Silence of the Lambs, Unforgiven (Eastwood version), Braveheart and Philadelphia.
    Non stop

I know many will chastise this as taken on an airplane but I disagree the film is good the mystery even better and Neeson is great as is the rest of the cast the cgi is bad but I feel this may be Neeson's third best action film and the third best film of the year for me

1. Captain America: Winter Soldier
    2. Godzilla
    3. Non-stop