Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @DarthDimi 6 down, one more to go. ;)

@MajorDSmythe
    And I'm in the middle of it. ;-) Perhaps this evening you can read my thoughts. :)

..... oh my god, make... it... STOP!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @MajorDSmythe: just finished watching BUT I'm also caught up in the middle of something so those thoughts will be locked away till tomorrow. ;-)
  • Murdock wrote: »
    @Creasy47 sadly the Original Robocop film is the only good one in the series. 3 is even worse and toned down to PG-13 not to mention that Peter Weller isn't even in it.
    Inferior to the first movie, make no mistake. But 'RoboCain' gave me nightmares as a kid!
    RoboCop 2 is good though I think. Simply changing the soundtrack would help it tons
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @chrisisall, what did you like about the third? Maybe I'll give it a shot. Maybe...
    chrisisall wrote: »
    @Creasy47, I just thought it was a great comic book movie. No, it's nothing compared to the first caustic, biting satire, but it has heart, and by the end you don't feel bad about being human. Cons: okay, Robert Burke is no Weller, the climactic fight was never finished, so it looks rather crude. Pros: Poledouris music, generally good clean fun.
    RoboCop 2 is MUCH better than 3. It's practically no contest! I remember seeing it in the theater as a kid and still thinking it was stupid. The only part I liked was the interchangeable gun arm. Now that I think about it, you know what 2 & 3 have that dumb both movies down? An annoying KID. Lose the kid in both movies and it's a big leap in the right direction!!
    As a whole Robo3 is hardly even worth watching, IMO. Unless of course you just want to look back in history and witness the exact point when the RoboCop series flat lined (like going back and watching Batman & Robin)

*Small sidenote:
    When filming Robo2, studios said there's no way they could film the screenplay as-is, resulting in a movie far from what Frank Miller had in mind. Not to derail the thread, but I'd strongly recommend the comic series titled : 'Frank Miller's RoboCop'

Frank_Miller_RoboCop_1.jpg

It tells the story the way it was intended and oddly enough, a LOT of what ended up in the RoboCop 3 movie is in this book. Most notably, there is no Cain, -the 'RoboCop 2' machine instead uses the brain of one of the Urban Pacifist guys from the 3rd movie (and later on, Dr. Love-- who's basically Dr. Faxx from the 2nd movie)

It's far from perfect though- it's a little eyeball rolling at times, particularly how Lewis gets gradually more naked as the book goes on, from all the knife slashes and explosions...

miller-robocop52.jpg

At times it felt like a horny teenager was illustrating it, lol
    But still, definitely worth checking out!

*end tangent ;)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited November 2014 Posts: 17,691
    RoboCop 2 is MUCH better than 3. It's practically no contest!
    If you only groove to the dark then you're absolutely correct. If you don't feel the need to watch hookers stiletto a guy's eyeball out in the first five minutes, then you might have fun with the warmer & fuzzier sequel. :))
    Say what you want, but Robo 2 breaks a rule Bond movies never have; it's BORING. It's LONG. It's just killing after killing after dismemberment, after killing. And all with the worst music score possible. The first one was acidic satire, the third was simple comic book sci fi, the second was an excuse to go wild with violence for the sake of excess itself. BUT, the final fight was pretty damn good though.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Watching Iron Man now- the second best superhero movie ever made.
    On second thought, the co-best.

What's No. 1? The Dark Knight?
    What's No. 1? The Dark Knight?
    Superman: The Movie (Donner Cut)/ Iron Man.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    This one is for you @4EverBonded.

The November Man (2014)
    This movie was....Amazing! It was everything I wanted in a movie. Good action, story and even some good one liners. Of course as I watched it I pretended Brosnan was Bond and it added to the fun. It felt like a nice blend between For Your Eyes Only, OHMSS and Quantum of Solace. Not a bad combination of Bond films if you ask me.

Brosnan was great. Really got to act. I recommend it to anyone on this forum who likes a good spy movie as I dare say it was up to par with Craig's movies. Brosnan was brutal. I'd say one of his finest performances. There was a couple of pain faces. ;) but all good fun.

For me. this is hand's down my favorite movie of 2014. The November Man did his job and delivered. It really makes me wish Brosnan had a better Bond film to end on as he can do a hard edged role with ease. I hope to see a sequel to this because even at 61, Brosnan can still do action movies of this caliber.

10/10
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Oh, @Murdock, that's great! :-bd You really made my day. I'm so glad you got to see it and that you definitely enjoyed it. I'm seeing it here in January. I can't wait! It seems good in several areas, including Olga's role, but honestly I'm seeing it for Pierce. 8-> Yeah, I am. So shoot me (other folks). I'm bothered not one bit.

Therefore, I'm thinking I will probably have a similar reaction to yours when I go see it, Murdock. I'm not looking for Great Cinema or The Best Spy Film Ever ... but I want a kick ass Brosnan spy flick that has some style. If there are flaws (I'm sure there are some) I probably won't care at all. Looking forward to this as a fun ride. And I sure hope there is a sequel. It seems likely now.
    @4EverBonded, I'm happy I've made your day. I think you will enjoy it a lot and I can guarantee that you will see a Kickass Brosnan Spy flick with some style. :-bd
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I fully agree about The November man, great action film, hugely enjoyed it.
    Leprechaun: Origins (2014)

20140610_EP_LIGHT_LeprechaunOrginsV2_HP.jpg

Remakes / reboots are pretty common these days, even in the straight-to-DVD horror circuits. Leprechaun is our next victim. Of course one thing's true: this project gives some folks a chance to pursue a more serious take on the greedy little dude from Ireland.

And Ireland is precisely where we go. Only this time for some raw slasher vibes with little to no comedy. And what about the Lep? Forget the cute little outfit and rhymes Warwick Davis used to bring. In fact, forget Warwick himself. Wrestler Hornswoggle takes the job this time, though frankly I wonder why his name got plastered all over the poster art. Those brief couple of seconds we actually see the Lep, we get a guy in a suit, mostly blurred out or from a distance. Anyone could have been hired for this role.

Leprechaun: Origins is more like a cheep creature feature than the funny fish-out-of-water gimmick they pulled with the previous six films. And since this Lep has more in common with the nightstalkers from The Descent than with Warwick's fancy prankster, one wonders why this was even presented as a Leprechaun film. Did someone have a script somewhere and did he decide that by calling it "Leprechaun" it might get more clout?

Whatever the case, I'm a little torn. On the one hand, I enjoy the tiny bits of slasher excitement I get, even if those bits are far from perfect; on the other hand, I'm afraid this film is a mess, clumsily made and with little to no reason why it should be a Lep film. Character motivations are often unclear, in fact the characters spend most of the time aimlessly running around the same spots and even the Lep himself remains pretty much unexplained for most of the film.

I hope this is the last we got to see in this 'franchise'. It's been a pretty daunting task sitting through all of them. With the exception of 2 and 3, I don't really want to revisit these films again. I can rank Origins somewhere in the middle, but that's not exactly saying much. And I certainly don't think this film needs a sequel.

Leprechaun III (1995): 4/5
    Leprechaun II (1994): 3.5/5
    Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood (2003): 3.5/5
    Leprechaun: Origins (2014): 3/5
    Leprechaun (1993): 2/5
    Leprechaun: In The Hood (2000): 1.5/5
    Leprechaun 4: In Space (1997): 1/5
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Just watched Guardians of the Galaxy bought the Bluray tonight after work, had no idea what to expect. I love this film, this film had heart and was blown away by how good it was. Did not want the film to end, the characters are brilliant. This for me is surprisingly the deepest and most emotional Marvel film to date. Disney Marvel literally rules the Galaxy in this genre of film. ^:)^
    Blue Thunder on Bluray... wow, it never looked so good.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    That is a great movie, my mate has it on Bluray, the aerial work at the end of the film looks amazing. Schneider and McDowell both excellent as always.
    That is a great movie, my mate has it on Bluray, the aerial work at the end of the film looks amazing. Schneider and McDowell both excellent as always.
    You couldn't make that movie today, politically or FX-wise.
    :-O
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited November 2014 Posts: 40,490
    'Hercules' (2014)

I was really surprised by this: great cast and an all-around fun film. The CGI wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, either. Really good finale, too. Recommended if you're looking for some entertaining action in a film that doesn't last for too long.
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    It's been called the boldest and riskiest move yet by Marvel Studios, with some eagerly anticipating theatrical failure...

But after sitting through 2hrs of awesomeness I can honestly and safely say that Guardians of the Galaxy is a treat for the senses with a brilliant foot-tapping, head-bopping soundtrack and great humour with lots of one-liners.

With a great cast and a wisecracking performance from Chris Pratt as Peter Quill/Star Lord who is clearly equal parts Han Solo and Mal Reynolds. Among other characters in the film there's Rocket played by Bradley Cooper who is positively brilliant and (dare I say it) probably one of my favourite characters in the movie.

I have to agree with some critics who are calling Guardians of the Galaxy "possibly the best Marvel movie yet".

Personally, I thought the movie was terrific. It's funny, it's sweet, it's exciting, it feels fresh and familiar all at once. it wears its heart on its sleeve, places tongue firmly in cheek, and never once gives up trying to impress us. It's bold to compare this to Star Wars, but the comparison is there.

I won't spoil the plot or tell you what characters from the Marvel-U appear in the movie but what I will say is that it's not a superhero movie. In fact, this is a different type of movie from the Marvel studios, and that's a good thing!

Many reviews are saying this is "Star Wars for a new generation" and I'll be honest, I have to agree! I enjoyed every minute of Guardians and I'm sure will too!
    Maniac (1980)

539w.jpg

Exploitation films were pretty common around '80. Apart from the Italian classics by Bava, Fulci, Argento and others, some noteworthy genre films were produced in America as well. Maniac is definitely one of the better ones. The enigmatic Joe Spinell plays Frank Zito, a man whose every move seems dictated by voices in his head. A little bit of Norman Bates certainly helps to bring out the maniacal in all of us.

There's some pretty gory knifing, strangling, shooting, ... involved too. Given the extremely small budget, one would expect little to no impressive effects work, yet with none other than maestro Tom Savini behind the blood and gore, we simply know we're in very good hands. Savini even plays a small but quite unforgettable part in Maniac.

Who else is here? Caroline Munro, best known to us as Naomi in The Spy Who Loved Me. She's great as an art photographer who bonds with Spinell's Zito.

Maniac became a cult favourite pretty fast and it even inspired a recent remake starring a certain hobbit as the titular character. I for one still like the 1980 film. It's filthy and amoral but very effective and flawlessly carried by Spinell. Though not quite as shocking as Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer, which was released a few years later, it covers pretty much the same central topic of a man with an absurd taste for killing, enraged by a dysfunctional mind. Not entirely harmless, even by modern standards, Maniac can still crawl under your skin. I'm actually surprised this didn't become a multi-sequel film series with Zito as some kind of Michael Myers or Jason Vorhees.

Recommended to those who can appreciate the shock exploitation genre.

Maniac (1980): 4/5
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    NationalLampoonsChristmasVacationPoster_zps11b63e85.jpg

now that Thanksgiving has passed over here stateside, I am starting to get into the Christmas swing of things... just yesterday we put out our tree, and then last night i settled down for my first Christmas movie of the season - the classic Christmas Vacation.... I loved this movie since I first saw it as a small boy, and I have never stopped loving it.. the one thing that has changed, is that as a child i was more a fan of the slapstick comedy in this movie - but now being an adult, i am more a fan of Clark's comedic slide into misery as he realizes he may have bitten off more than he could chew with inviting the whole family to spend christmas together - but he tries to make it work... and as always in these films, Chevy Chase is at his best when he starts to lose his mind and go crazy..
    edited November 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Murdock wrote: »

The November Man (2014)
    This movie was....Amazing! It was everything I wanted in a movie. Good action, story and even some good one liners. Of course as I watched it I pretended Brosnan was Bond and it added to the fun. It felt like a nice blend between For Your Eyes Only, OHMSS and Quantum of Solace. Not a bad combination of Bond films if you ask me.

Brosnan was great. Really got to act. I recommend it to anyone on this forum who likes a good spy movie as I dare say it was up to par with Craig's movies. Brosnan was brutal. I'd say one of his finest performances. There was a couple of pain faces. ;) but all good fun.

For me. this is hand's down my favorite movie of 2014. The November Man did his job and delivered. It really makes me wish Brosnan had a better Bond film to end on as he can do a hard edged role with ease. I hope to see a sequel to this because even at 61, Brosnan can still do action movies of this calibre.

10/10
    @Murdock, wow, I totally agree here. THIS was the Bond movie Pierce never got to make. Well, an "R" rated version, at any rate. Holly effin' crap did I love this film, well written, and Donaldson directed excellently.
    @4EverBonded, please watch it with the idea that Murdock & I were shocked at how cool it was, but it was pretty violent & sexually abusive (as in realistic).
    It kind of makes QOS look tame by comparison.....

The November Man (2014)

For me. this is hand's down my favorite movie of 2014. The November Man did his job and delivered. It really makes me wish Brosnan had a better Bond film to end on as he can do a hard edged role with ease. I hope to see a sequel to this because even at 61, Brosnan can still do action movies of this calibre.

10/10
    @Murdock, wow, I totally agree here. THIS was the Bond movie Pierce never got to make. Well, an "R" rated version, at any rate. Holly effin' crap did I love this film, well written, and Donaldson directed excellently.
    @4EverBonded, please watch it with the idea that Murdock & I were shocked at how cool it was, but it was pretty violent & sexually abusive (as in realistic).
    It kind of makes QOS look tame by comparison.....

That it does @chrisisall. It's amazing how much effort and love went into this film. And you can tell Pierce is serious about the role and character and brings it to life. It's not impossible to see Pierce doing all three of Craig's films. Also Pierce has aged very well. He didn't look his age at all. He looked like he was in his 40's. Of all the Bond's, he's aged the best. I wish Pierce the best and can't wait to see the Sequel. :)
    can't wait to see the Sequel. :)
    I read it's in the works. I can't wait already.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2014 Posts: 28,694
    I'm elated that you all loved November Man. I definitely have to see it, and might even end up blind buying it on Blu-ray if I ever see it around.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, not sure if you still aren't one for online shopping, but Amazon had it on sale for $15 the other day on blu-ray. I waited too long and it bumped back to $19.99.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, not sure if you still aren't one for online shopping, but Amazon had it on sale for $15 the other day on blu-ray. I waited too long and it bumped back to $19.99.

I saw it the other day advertised in Wal-Mart or something, so that's where I'll have to look the next time I head out shopping.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, it's funny that you mention that, because I got a text from my friend a few minutes ago telling me he saw it there, too. So nice to see that this film most certainly got a wider release than I initially expected, especially on the home video front.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, it's funny that you mention that, because I got a text from my friend a few minutes ago telling me he saw it there, too. So nice to see that this film most certainly got a wider release than I initially expected, especially on the home video front.

I'm pretty sure it was never shown around my area's theaters, but I think it'll have a lot of life in disc release. I'm just happy to hear so many people are positive about it. I wanted it to be stellar, and since it seems to deliver on everything I was hoping for, I might just blind buy it during the holiday season. After all, I can't resist Brosnan sinking his teeth into a truly gritty Bondian role.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I can safely say it was really gritty and dare I say Flemingesque. ;)
    I'm in the middle of watching "The Desolation of Smaug" (extended edition, natch). Will watch the second part later this week (right now, I'm tired, and I have to raise up early tomorrow for work).

And at the end of the week, I'll probably go and see "Paddington".
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I can safely say it was really gritty and dare I say Flemingesque. ;)
    I just hope it's not too gritty for @4EverBonded.....
    :-?