Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

Just bought Days of future past, enjoyed it more second time round. Fassbender is very good, again before its too late would make s great Bond. Film looks great in HD though still prefer First Class just!

I think both are great movies I personally can't decide which one is better :)

giphy.gif
  • Dalton12 wrote: »
    Just bought Days of future past, enjoyed it more second time round. Fassbender is very good, again before its too late would make s great Bond. Film looks great in HD though still prefer First Class just!

I think both are great movies I personally can't decide which one is better :)

giphy.gif
    I think Days does not have Vaughn's invention, excuse bad spelling.

• edited November 2014 Posts: 2,081
    Fight Club (1999), directed by David Fincher, starring Edward Norton, Brad Pitt, Helena Bonham Carter, Meat Loaf, Jared Leto.
    I think my appreciation of this movie has only grown the more I've seen it. And I have seen it many times. And loved it every time. Entertaining, smart, thought provoking, funny, beautifully made, full of details, suitable for repeated viewing, and generally awesome.
    (I still haven't read the book though, which is sorta embarrassing. I definitely need to read it.)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The Bag Man (2014) I liked it. What did you think of this film, @MajorDSmythe?
    The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013)
    Puncture (2011)
    Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011)
    The Lincoln Lawyer (2011)
    Trouble With the Curve (2012)
    Tears of the Sun (2003) Waited a while to watch this one because of the bad comments i saw about it, but it was a fun way to spend 2 hours.
    Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003)

Past few days did a bit of a Johnny Depp marathon:
    Ed Wood (1994)
    Sleepy Hollow (1999)
    Corpse Bride (2005)
    Sweeney Todd (2007)
    The Rum Diary (2011)
    Dark Shadows (2012)
    Donnie Brasco (1997)
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

I haven't seen it. I have not seen much mention of it around, but what I have seen has been mostly negative. I like Cusack, so I intend on seeing it regardless of it's reviews. I'm glad you liked it, @DaltonCraig007.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    X-Men: Days of Future Past

I was quite surprised with this! I've wanted to see it but I didn't think that I would enjoy it much because I haven't followed the X-Men storyline in quite some time. The film did a good job of filling me in and helping me understand the events that were unfolding. The action was great, acting was wonderful, and it had a lot of memorable and entertaining scenes. Well done.

Edge of Tomorrow

A bit upset with this one. Honestly, most of the action was in the trailers, so it was very easy to tell what was going to happen next (including the ending). Was overhyped about this, for sure. Also, I need to start steering clear from films like this because this 'reset' that continually occurs gets old very fast. Ending was a bit of a let down, as well. Shame.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,616
    Leprechaun 4: In Space (1997)

leprechaun-4-in-space-829-16x9-large.jpg

Oh boy. /:) I was somewhat fine with Jason in space. I could stomach Pinhead in space. But this fourth Lep film is utter garbage! I know some folks out there actually find this one camp fun but I fail to see the so-bad-it's-actually-good value of Lep in space. Seriously, the only thing that's even mildly interesting is Warwick himself. Other than him though, there's nothing. Bad acting, even poorer screenwriting, terrible effects, obnoxious space visuals and a story that's overall insulting.

After the entertaining Lep III, this fourth film is simply abysmal. I know where we go next: to da hood. There's light at the end of the tunnel then: at least we're not stuck with Lep in space.

Leprechaun III (1995): 4/5
    Leprechaun II (1994): 3.5/5
    Leprechaun (1993): 2/5
    Leprechaun 4: In Space (1997): 1/5
    [/quote]

Leprechaun: In the Hood (2000)

giphy.gif

The idea is simple enough: take the Lep, drop him in the most unlikely place and hope that it'll generate good laughs. We went from Vegas to space and now we're in Da Hood! We follow three rappers who, against stereotype, like to rap about positive things. Meanwhile, an evil Ice-T gets involved with yet another reincarnated version of Warwick Davis' Leprechaun.

Sound kinda good, right? Apparently many folks consider this one of their favourite Leprechaun films. I guess I'm going to be difficult then because I loath it. First of all, why did we get to the hood in order to meet Postmaster D and his posse rapping about nice things? This is a Lep film: characters are supposed to be vicious and situations are supposed to be raunchy, scary or naughty. These lead characters are totally out of place, not just in a Leprechaun movie but also in the hood itself. Second, we have terrible plot ideas about magic flutes inspiring silly rhymes and whatnot. Meanwhile, there's no horror or even comedy: the way the film is shot and the way the story is told, I'm never quite sure what mood I'm supposed to get from this film. It doesn't know what it wants to be so it keeps bouncing back and forth between Z-level slasher and stupid humour. The acting is terrible and so is the choice of shots. There are times when the film feels like a messy amateur job.

I don't like going all hateful on one of the more beloved films in the series but that's the way it is. I've watched this film twice by now and both times I've wrestled with my otherwise almost limitless patience. Going to the hood is a great idea but at least do something with it! I guess next time things will be a little better, when we go back to da hood...

Leprechaun: In The Hood (2000): 1,5/5
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

I haven't seen it. I have not seen much mention of it around, but what I have seen has been mostly negative. I like Cusack, so I intend on seeing it regardless of it's reviews. I'm glad you liked it, @DaltonCraig007.

@MajorDSmythe it's not a masterpiece but I thought it was pretty cool. Nice opressing atmosphere, night only setting and Cusack was badass in this. :)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DUMB AND DUMBER TO

It certainly made me laugh. Mission accomplished.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @MajorDSmythe it's not a masterpiece but I thought it was pretty cool. Nice opressing atmosphere, night only setting and Cusack was badass in this. :)

Sounds like The Numbers Station, which despite not making my Cusack top 10, I enjoyed for it's claustrophobic feel.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)
    CatchingFireJohannaPoster.jpg

I held off watching this until now, because I didn't know if it would be worth me buying a copy of the DVD. You see, the reason I wanted to watch the film, was because of Jena Malone's casting. I didn't know how big a role Malone had in the film, so I wasn't sure if I should just wait for it to screen on one of the sky movies channels. I found a copy which I thought was cheap enough, and snapped it up.
    Despite waiting almost an hour into the film for Johanna to show up, followed by sporadic screen time, I didn't feel disappointed. A Johanna Mason spin-off would be most welcome.
    Jena Malone ranking: 12/28

----

The Big Sleep (1978)
    The%2BBig%2BSleep%2B(1978.jpg

My favourite Robert Mitchum film. I have not read the book, nor have I seen the Bogie original, I just enjoy this film for it's own existence.
    Mitchum, despite being age 60 during production, was still able to carry off that kind of role in his own laconic inimitable way.
    Robert Mitchum ranking: 1/28
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited November 2014 Posts: 17,695
    We just watched John Carter (Blu Ray) and I have to say it was mostly brilliant. And I also just noticed a thematic connection to Somewhere In Time:
    Carter gets sent back to his former existence, just like Collier, and both have to die figuratively/literally die to get back to their loves...
    American Psycho (2010) 10/10
    The Killing Fields (1984)
    Carlito's Way (1993)
    Che Part One & Two (2008)
    Air Force One (1997) Very fun action flick.
    The People vs Larry Flynt (1996)
    The Crying Game (1992)
    Godzilla (2014)
    Grand Piano (2013) Fun little film, not as good as Phone Booth, but it was ok.
    Drive Hard (2014) Very low budget film, but it did pass 90 minutes quickly.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 4,813
    Sabotage (2014)

120sabotage-poster01.jpg

Much better than Last Stand and (IMO) Escape Plan, Sabotage makes good use of Arnold and is an enjoyable action flick. It's no 'Tue Lies' or 'Terminator', but it's fun.

The best part is this interrogation scene though:

Going Places (1974)

1337405657_l.jpg

I've always been a fan of Gérard Depardieu and I noticed this old movie on Netflix and decided the check it out. Holy crap, was this movie weird. Depardieu and his friend are two young crooks and the story revolves around them stealing a car and getting involved in different encounters with various women. There's really no plot beside that!! They steal the car and drive around France and get into trouble. Oh yeah, when they steal the car they also meet a prostitute that keeps popping up who has never had an orgasm. By the end of the movie she does! So there's that too I guess, lol
    Such a mix of genres to-- their antics felt like 'Dumb and Dumber' at times and quickly goes full-on creepy and uncomfortable. One example: while on a train they act immature around a woman breastfeeding her baby and then all of a sudden they bribe her into letting them drink it!! I can't make this up!! I was so unprepared because Netflix labels this as a COMEDY.

Long story short, I am left with only one conclusion: French movies are weird.

Air Force One (1997) Very fun action flick.
    One of the greats! Harrison Ford and Gary Oldman make what would have just been 'Die Hard on the Presidents Plane' into a classic!
    This is when Indiana Jones 4 SHOULD HAVE been made
    Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood (2003)

leprechaun_6_back_2_tha_hood_poster.jpg

Despite my best intentions, I failed to appreciate Lep's visit to the hood. Yet somehow that film managed to secure enough fan love to inspire an in-series sequel. But with none of the characters of the previous film returning, it's actually questionable that this sixth film is even a sequel.

Some local kids become amazingly affluent after finding Lep's gold. Naturally spending said gold will not remain without consequences. Another killing spree in the hood ensues... Fancy this, I actually like what I see. The comedy is pretty satisfying, as is the story and even the acting. Warwick Davis has a great moment getting stoned as the Lep.

Obviously this isn't a high quality film but after space and the first hood, I'm pretty fine with what I'm getting here.

Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood (2003): 3.5/5
    Leprechaun: In The Hood (2000): 1.5/5

Just watched Iron Man 3 for the first time. Fairly awesome. Way better than 2/not as simply cool as 1. Shane Black is a GREAT writer IMO.
    For me, I didn't really enjoy Iron Man 2 or 3 all that much; 1 is the only one I'll rewatch and enjoy.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    For me, I didn't really enjoy Iron Man 2 or 3 all that much; 1 is the only one I'll rewatch and enjoy.
    The first IS the greatest.
    chrisisall wrote: »

My biggest gripes with the sequels are:

#1. Rather than naturally become a changed man like expected from the end of IM 1, Tony reverts to being a jerk again (and arguably even worse) in both 2 and 3, instead of undergoing any actual character change from the events of the first film.
    #2. All the S.H.I.E.L.D./Avengers stuff; seriously, I wish the movies were just allowed to stand on their own - at least a little more than what we got. Like having the New York incident from Avengers repeatedly addressed in IM 3 was unnecessary, and just constantly trying to tie it into the Avengers movies. I just didn't like it...

'Robocop 2'

Thoroughly enjoyed the first, yet this was the complete opposite: horrible stop motion work (I forgave it in the first because the storyline and action was so good), terrible acting, the action fell flat, the entirety of the movie didn't really do anything for me. Oh well, at least I'm cutting my Netflix Library down slightly.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @Creasy47 sadly the Original Robocop film is the only good one in the series. 3 is even worse and toned down to PG-13 not to mention that Peter Weller isn't even in it. Also don't waste your time with the Reboot. It's bad too.
  • Inferior to the first movie, make no mistake. But 'RoboCain' gave me nightmares as a kid!
    RoboCop 2 is good though I think. Simply changing the soundtrack would help it tons
    I didn't care for the remake at all. The third film was suggested when the second finished, but when I saw the low rating, the PG-13 rating given to it, and the lack of Peter Weller, I gladly passed. I thought someone was playing a cruel joke on me with that sequel.
    @DarthDimi 6 down, one more to go. ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote: »

My biggest gripes with the sequels are:

#1. Rather than naturally become a changed man like expected from the end of IM 1, Tony reverts to being a jerk again (and arguably even worse) in both 2 and 3, instead of undergoing any actual character change from the events of the first film.
    #2. All the S.H.I.E.L.D./Avengers stuff; seriously, I wish the movies were just allowed to stand on their own - at least a little more than what we got. Like having the New York incident from Avengers repeatedly addressed in IM 3 was unnecessary, and just constantly trying to tie it into the Avengers movies. I just didn't like it...

I'm with you on some of this. Iron Man numero uno was the best Marvel film since Spider-Man 2 for me, and really delivered. Downey is perfect casting for the arrogant Stark, and lights up the screen every time he's playing out a scene. Terence Howard was an infinitely superior Rhodey (sorry Cheadle), Jeff Bridges was great as the sharply slimy Obadiah Stane, and the action and comedy balance was perfection.

Iron Man 2 was a "meh" film for me, largely because of how much Mickey Rourke was wasted in it. They just made the guy mutter broken English the entire film, not giving him any real layers that would makes us connect to him or sympathize with his cause. After The Dark Knight gave us the Joker, who you couldn't help but root for, films can't slide by with dimensionless villains any more. This one isn't a bad film (not as much as some make out), but a lot of potential was squandered.

Iron Man 3 was a return to form in many ways, bringing back some excitement and tension to the films. You felt the risk and knew things were at stake in this one, and for a lot of the film the ride is a wild one. Some complain about Tony not being in the suit as much as usual, but I love seeing him on his own with no tech to help him out, forcing him to really get creative and get by on his wits. That is the entire message of the film, after all: he IS Iron Man, armor or no armor. The villain of the film was a bit more developed than 2 (thankfully), the action was back on form and the comedy had returned to the first film's level. All in all, not the greatness of No. 1, but not the disappointment of 2 either. Pretty good, I'd say.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The third film was suggested when the second finished, but when I saw the low rating, the PG-13 rating given to it, and the lack of Peter Weller, I gladly passed.
    Weller was in the second, and it was still pretty questionable. I had more fun with Robocop 3 than ANYONE ELSE here, I guess!
    \m/
    @chrisisall, what did you like about the third? Maybe I'll give it a shot. Maybe...
    @Creasy47, I just thought it was a great comic book movie. No, it's nothing compared to the first caustic, biting satire, but it has heart, and by the end you don't feel bad about being human. Cons: okay, Robert Burke is no Weller, the climactic fight was never finished, so it looks rather crude. Pros: Poledouris music, generally good clean fun.
    @DarthDimi 6 down, one more to go. ;)

@MajorDSmythe
    And I'm in the middle of it. ;-) Perhaps this evening you can read my thoughts. :)
    edited November 2014 Posts: 17,695
    Watching Iron Man now- the second best superhero movie ever made.
    On second thought, the co-best.