Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited November 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Thanks for the warning, @chrisisall. I actually sincerely appreciate that. I should be fine. I have read a little about the film, and I did read about a few scenes, especially one, that is "beyond gritty" - but I'm okay with that. If it serves the story, that is. I hope the sequel has Pierce's character really firmly developed. Honestly, I don't want him doing heinous stuff unless somehow really warranted ('cause I like to root for the protagonist in a film). But I'll go in expecting a variety of scenes. I get to see it in about 6 weeks! (I think!!) I am expecting a different character than Bond, more complex, darker and probably not so smoothly charming. I've now read one of the books, which I enjoyed.

Anyway, here's hoping all concerned take the best of this film and do even better with the sequel. I am strongly hoping for at least a 3 film series with this character. Very cool for Pierce to come back in the lead in a spy story and do well with it, as this stage of his career. I'm quite pleased with his career. The man makes creative choices and does try different characters, for sure. So even with the inevitable comparison to Bond, I'm certain he wanted this one to be different ... and edgier.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited November 2014 Posts: 17,691
    I was actually surprised by the movie- not for its gritty-ness, but for what it looks like. 15 mill isn't a big budget, but it looks as good as any big budget movie out there IMO...
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Happy to hear that, too. :) Hoping money is well spent on the second one; surely they have the sequel mapped out already.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    FUTURAMA_BENDER S BIG SCORE

First half was a big laugh. Second half not equally so. Still wonderful to have some more Futurama, and especially Bender. He is the greatest, and he knows how to party.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Transcendence (2014) Quite bad.
    Two Faces of January (2014) Passable, expertly filmed in beautiful greek settings, Viggo Mortenssen is very classy. But quite forgettable.
    Out of Africa (1985)
    Kramer vs. Kramer (1979)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The Raid 2

the-raid-21-fight.jpg

I couldn't wait to see this film. The Raid is one of my favourite action films ever made and I had already heard amazing things about its sequel. Well, I'm not the least bit disappointed; instead, I'm in utter awe. Take the same elements that made The Raid so good, multiply them by a hundred, throw a little Michael Mann in the mix, and you have a martial arts epic that's thrilling, well acted, incredibly well photographed and edited and so much more. This film just blew my mind. If Gareth Evans ever considers making a third film in this series, nothing will stop me from seeing the fruits of his incredible talents in the theatre. Excellent movie!
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Watched "Lucy" last night with Morgan Freeman and Scarlett Johansson, and it was a waste of time, sadly.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @DarthDimi, I'm happy you liked it! It blew me away and it most certainly stands with the greatest in the martial arts film department. I've seen it so many times since I picked it up on blu-ray.

@marketto007, that's how 'Lucy' seemed to be: a waste of time. I'm glad I haven't bothered with it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2014 Posts: 15,690
    @DarthDimi and @Creasy47 The Raid 2 is an absolutly epic movie. Could have been 5 hours long, and I would not have been able to pause to go the bathroom before the end!
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Watched "Lucy" last night with Morgan Freeman and Scarlett Johansson, and it was a waste of time, sadly.

i got that without having to see it.... the preview alone was enough to tell me "dont bother" lol..... and typically, i am not like that with films like "Lucy", i try to give them a shot before making a decision - but when it crosses similar paths with a movie that isn't even that old - that is when i tap out..

Lucy (2014) I must agree that it was pretty meh 5/10
    10 Things i hate about you (1999) Liked it 8/10
    Mean girls (2004) Ok 6/10
    Wait until dark (1967) A bit boring, but alright 6,5/10
    Since i hear so much good about "the raid" movies i quess i could watch them next =) or pretty soon at least.
  • Was toying with idea of buying Lucy, though think I'll give it a miss based on opinion here ;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @DaltonCraig007, indeed, The Raid 2 is simply awesome. 5 hours of it would still have been over before my second breath.

@Crazysoul95, Arkin, Crenna and Hepburn are good in it, aren't they? I never thought of it as boring. In fact, I quite like the climax. But yes, it was Young on a less day. Still, because I'm a huge Audrey fan, I continuously watch Wait Until Dark. :)
    @Darthdimi Yes, there is nothing wrong with the performances. Arkin did a good job on playing a pretty creepy character. And for the climax, that jump! If you know what i mean.
    Just rented and finished watching "Godzilla".
    Damn, I had trouble staying awake. zzzzzzzzz
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

I really liked Rise of the Planet of the Apes and I liked it's sequel even more. I highly recommend it. I hear there are two or three more planned sequels and I can't wait.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    Just rented and finished watching "Godzilla".
    Damn, I had trouble staying awake. zzzzzzzzz

So basically, it was more like Godzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzilla for you?
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    my problems with Godzilla...

1.) Michael Cranston should've been the main character throughout the story - it should've been him and Ken Wantanabe - his son should've been secondary..

2.) If you're not going to focus on the big monster battle until the end - and instead focus more on the human aspect of what is going on, make sure your lead actor can act... he was so damn wooden that i couldn't give a crap about him.. the girl who played his gf/wife - she was great... but good god, that boy couldn't play dead..

3.) the constant cut aways every time it looked like a monster throw down was going to happen - EVERY TIME.... that got annoying really quick..

but on the whole, i didn't think the film was that bad - looking forward to how they handle Mothra in the sequel.
    The Railway Man

I was surprised when I read the fairly ho-hum reviews after watching this as I felt it was excellent. Really well acted by all the cast, especially Colin Firth and Jeremy Irvine.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

I really liked Rise of the Planet of the Apes and I liked it's sequel even more. I highly recommend it. I hear there are two or three more planned sequels and I can't wait.

The sequel is definitely better, some scenes are just amazing.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yeah, Koba is definitely villain of the year for me.
  • Sharknado God this film is terrible, though could not stop laughing! One of the worst films I have seen. Highly recommend it. :))
  • Watched Magic in the Moonlight in the cinema today. Great movie!!! Very very funny, great actors and a really cute story. Love it!!!
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Back to the Future Not many films are more fun and as inventive as this classic, looks great on Bluray. Lea Thompson :x one of my childhood crushes, wonder what ever happened to her?

Just watched Back to the Future Part II and III back to back, not many more complete trilogies than this. Thoroughly enjoyed watching these films again, they are timeless. There are some great retrospective documentary's on the Bluray box set with cast and crew.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

Going Places (1974)

1337405657_l.jpg

I've always been a fan of Gérard Depardieu and I noticed this old movie on Netflix and decided the check it out. Holy crap, was this movie weird. Depardieu and his friend are two young crooks and the story revolves around them stealing a car and getting involved in different encounters with various women. There's really no plot beside that!! They steal the car and drive around France and get into trouble. Oh yeah, when they steal the car they also meet a prostitute that keeps popping up who has never had an orgasm. By the end of the movie she does! So there's that too I guess, lol
    Such a mix of genres to-- their antics felt like 'Dumb and Dumber' at times and quickly goes full-on creepy and uncomfortable. One example: while on a train they act immature around a woman breastfeeding her baby and then all of a sudden they bribe her into letting them drink it!! I can't make this up!! I was so unprepared because Netflix labels this as a COMEDY.

Long story short, I am left with only one conclusion: French movies are weird.

Have to say I LOVE this movie - although I've only ever known it by it French title - Les Valseuses, a true classic of French 70s cinema. But comedy? no, a drama with sex, violence and humour, although I would say it's almost impossible to pigeon-hole, but if you've not seen it people check it out.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The+Squeeze+(1977).jpg

Equal parts character study and british crime drama/thriller. This is cut from the same cloth as Get Carter & The Sweeney (the 70's versions of both). Only available on the Warner Archive burn to order system, which insn't available outside the uk (but I acquired my copy from Ebay), this slice of 70's british cinema deserves a wider audience.

I won't post my keach ranking (The Squeeze is #1), as this is a re-watch).

And yes, the poster does say 'Directed By MICHAEL APTED' as in TWINE's Michael Apted. Though you won't belive it, given how terse The Squeeze is.
    Just seen the wonderful "The Assassination Bureau", by Basil Dearden, with Oliver Reed, Diana Reed, Telly Savalas, Curd Jurgens and Philippe Noiret. Here's a clip :

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets BluRay
    Didn't update since early last week... So here's what I've seen since then

Good Will Hunting (1997)
    Face/Off (1997)
    Wag the Dog (1997)
    Walk the Line (2005)
    The Baader Meinhof Complex (2008)
    The Last Emperor (1987)
    Shakespeare in Love (1998)
    Chicago (2002)
    Seven Years in Tibet (1997)
    The Hurricane (1999)
    The Color of Money (1986)