Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• edited October 2011 Posts: 303
    Kick-Ass
    - Far better than i had expected, infact one of my favourite movies.
    I thought it'd be in a similar style to Scott Pilgrim (Which bored me), but i was hugely suprised and entertained.

5/5 - Brilliant

Ghost's Film Review scores:

5/5 (Brilliant):
    The Bourne Ultimatum (11/8/11)
    Enemy at the Gates (12/8/11)
    Tron legacy (12/8/11)
    Super 8 (13/8/11) [Cinema x2]
    Source Code (15/8/11)
    The Adjustment Bureau (16/8/11)
    Back to the Future: Part 2 (21/8/11)
    Terminator 2: Judgement Day (23/811)
    The Dark Knight (23/8/11)
    Back to the Future (24/8/11)
    Inception (27/8/11)
    Spider-Man 2 (5/9/11)
    Gladiator (22/9/11)
    Kick-Ass (11/10/11)

4/5 (Very Good):
    Unbreakable (8/8/11)
    Lucky Number Slevin (10/8/11)
    The Bourne Identity (11/8/11)
    The Bourne Supremacy (11/8/11)
    Hot Fuzz (14/8/11)
    Top Gun (25/8/11)
    Cloverfield (28/8/11)
    Spider-Man (5/9/11)
    Unknown (17/9/11)
    Hanna (26/9/11)
    Shaun of the Dead (1/10/11)

3/5 (Good):
    The Talented Mr. Ripley (10/8/11)
    The Truman Show (9/8/11)
    Scott Pilgram vs. the world (12/8/11)
    Back to the Future: Part 3 (24/8/11)
    Beverly Hills Cop (25/8/11)
    The Simpsons Movie (2/9/11)
    Chicken Run (3/9/11)
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (30/9/11) [Cinema]

2/5 (Average):
    Signs (26/8/11)

1/5 (Rubbish):

Halloween movies from 1 to the first Rob Zombie version.
    Manhunter (aka Red Dragon by Michael Mann)
    The Tree of Life

Beautifully confounding.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2011 Posts: 15,690
    'Le Mans' (1971)

Very good film - I am a fan of motorsports. I am amazed McQueen didn't have much trouble remembering his lines ! He says like 20 words in the entire film. Not much dialogue from other characters as well... Mostly about cars. But still entertaining. 7.5/10

'Tambien La Lluvia' (Even The Rain) (2011)

Amazing. Very high in my all time favorite movies. Beautifully shot, well acted, great emotional story. Shame this wasn't nominated as Foreign Film as the Oscars. 10/10
    ^ Uhhhh if its a film from this year it couldn't have won an oscar as the 2011 films are in 2012. Also the nominations aren't out yet...
    The Constant Gardner to remind myself what a great actor Ralph Fiennes is before his role in Skyfall. Speaking of Steve McQueen does anyone else think that Daniel Craig would be awesome in a biopic of him?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    ^ Uhhhh if its a film from this year it couldn't have won an oscar as the 2011 films are in 2012. Also the nominations aren't out yet...
    The film was released in early 2011 and was nominated at the Oscars earlier this year.

The Constant Gardner to remind myself what a great actor Ralph Fiennes is before his role in Skyfall. Speaking of Steve McQueen does anyone else think that Daniel Craig would be awesome in a biopic of him?
    Steves widow wanted DC to play him in the biopic, IF that ever comes out. Have heard nothing about it for ages...
    apparently Damien Lewis is being talked about for it.Good actor but not as suitable as Dan.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The film was released in early 2011 and was nominated at the Oscars earlier this year.

Despite not being released around the world until this year, it was shown at TIFF in September 2010. That's why it was at this year's Oscars.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Re-watched 'The Tailor of Panama' earlier today for the, I don't know, 600th time or so. Can't get enough of that movie. Great casting all around, interesting plot, and now knowing that it was based on a novel by John Le Carre, I'm even more excited to see 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy'.
  • edited October 2011 Posts: 152
    I just watched "The Road To Perdition" for the first time and I really enjoyed it. That's the first Sam Mendes film I've seen as well, but just judging him by that film alone, I'm even more excited to see what he has in store for Skyfall.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I just rewatched Transformers and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

2 movies filled with action, human drama, humour, heart warming and tear jerking stories!

Michael Bay is a Movie Making God!!
    Not sure if serious...
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    Mulholland Drive
    interesting film

watching it last night I thought it was developing into an excellent suspense thriller until the third act (about the time the two women went to the night club) when it ceased to make much sense to me and by the end I was very disappointed
    Lynch's trademark atmospheric technique was there and lots of intriguing threads and situations were introduced but in the end many were left unresolved from my perspective, which I found frustrating and disappointing
    it reminded me of Twin Peaks by the same director where much the same thing happened
    what looked like it would become a rich carpet ended up as only an interesting coil of rope

however by morning, after sleeping on it the situation had become clearer and I at least understood the main thrust of the film (at least I think I do)
    the perky blond in the first half of the movie is a figment of the dark haired ones imagination, traumatised as she was by the attempted hit followed by the car accident, accompanying her on her journey toward the truth and recovery of her senses and memory
    the same blond in the second half of the movie was the girl the dark haired one had a relationship with, the jilted lesbian lover who had tried to have her killed and the committed suicide
    finding her body was the trigger for the dark haired girl to adopt a blond disguise and go to the nightclub to collect the blue box, although how she knew to do this not clear to me
    scenes in the first half of the movie featuring the perky blond on her own, are actual scenes from the life of the blond in the second half of the movie, before she met the dark haired girl
    that's my theory anyway…
    which is a kind of a dirty trick played by the director on the audience purely to mislead them
    and the dissatisfaction with the unresolved threads still holds
    for example the two guys in the diner who went out back, what was that about? we never found out

A Very Private Gentleman (aka The American)
    George Clooney gives us his version of Charles Bronson's "The Mechanic"
    it's the self loathing side of the James Bond story played out to a "tragic" conclusion
    the slow realisation of a false freedom that has resulted in an empty life, or at least a feeling of being trapped in a lifestyle that has now lost it's appeal
    tired of running, tired of lying, tired of being alone even in the company of others (but not really tired of killing?)
    Clooney is very excellent, the films technique is very good, however the plot is one cliché piled on top of another with nothing new to offer, which is dissapointing
    the priest, the supermodel whore with the heart of gold, the endless empty cobbled alleys (so colourfully lit!) the untrustworthy boss etc
    Bronson's often misunderstood take on the same underlying character, although not always able to fully realise it's ambition, has far more to offer
    (I haven't seen either Dolf Lundgren or Jason Statham's films of the same name to comment on their respective merits)

the book is about a gunmaker but the film turns him into a Bourne-like assassin who also makes guns on the side ("this time you don't even have to pull the trigger")
    and the love interest in the book is more like the girl that Clooney kills to cover his tracks at the beginning of the movie, the naive, unspoiled student cliche instead of the Whore cliche
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    The Bank Job. Again. Love it. :X
  • It was Marathon Man a few hours ago

One of the greatest movie releases of the 1970s even though Hoffman spends half the time running around looking scared

The Dentist's chair sequence still has the power to shock and Laurence Olivier actually does well as a former Nazi general coming to New York to grab some diamonds and who gets caught out by the local jewish community/Holocaust survivors years later after his war crimes and things get interesting

This is a must see for anyone who has yet to see it, - 'It is Safe'

even one of our friends from former Bond movies even gets to have a few scenes, I don't know his name, he was in Diamonds and TMWTGG teaser

• edited October 2011 Posts: 2,107

A happy family film called The Omen and the original Richard Donner film of course. Still gives me that warm happy family film feeling every time I see it. And like every happy family film it begins with a birth of a new born baby destined for great things. We have a film filled with joy and warmth.

5/5

The other film I resently watched was family oriented too.

It's all about family sticking together. Brother looking after his baby sister, happy childhood memories et cetera. Better than the first Zombie re-imagination, which followed the original movie too closely. This one, thank hebus, didn't follow the plot of the original H2.

3/5

Then I watched some film about sex and thievery, starring some smooth operator called Pierce Brosnan, whoever that is. After years, it's still not the best. But it gets you through two hours it takes for the movie to finish. The movie was called The Thomas Crown Affair.... yep, another re-make.

3/5

Edito Mr. Osato ; Oh, and I watched "I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer"

No score from me.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Gunn (1967)

I finally managed to see this film. 6 years after the original series ended, Blake Edwards brings his small screen private eye to the big screen. Reprising the title role of the impossibly suave is the equaly impossibly suave Craig Stevens. Sadly, Stevens isn't joined by his original co stars, with the roles of Eddie, Lt Jacoby and Mother being recast. And the tone just couldn't decide whether it wanted to remain faithful to the series, or to go down the Point Blank route. As an example of the latter, Gunn's fight with the transvestite just felt add odds with the series' tone.

And my Maximum Van Dammage season continues with his latest film:

Assassination Games (2011)

Despite looking every bit his 51 years, it's good to see (in a world where those Twilight kids are invading action films), Van Damme can still kick behind. Easily one of my favourite Van Damme films.

Maximum Van Dammage Season Ranking:
    1. Nowhere To Run (1993)
    2. Hard Target (1993)
    3. Sudden Death (1995)
    4. Assassination Games (2011)
    5. Maximum Risk (1996)
    6. Universal Soldier (1992)
    7. Double Team (1997)
    Damien - Omen II 5/5
    Omen III - The Final Conflict 5/5

All in all, pretty solid trilogy in my book. Though the final confrontation felt a bit anticlimactic. Well, anticlimax for the antichrist.

• edited October 2011 Posts: 5,745
    " I Saw the Devil " (2010) ahem, Korean.

Brilliant. Sheer brilliant. 11/10 if I could.

Watch it, you wont regret it.

" He isn't getting even.
    He's just getting started. "
    @JWESTBROOK it's a korean film, not japanese ;-) Saw it in theaters this summer... definatly in my top 10 all time favorite films.
  • Shaun of the Dead
    - (Fourth viewing ((Recently))) I originally gave it 4/5,but after tonights viewing, i just cannot find any reason to why i didn't give it 5/5, it's pure brilliance.
    The adventures of Tintin (2011) an excellent movie that is very familyfriendly too.
  • Paranormal Activity
    - Since it's halloween, i decided to finally watch the first of the Paranormal Activity films on DVD for my first time, as i thought it might be a littl scare for the night. Wactched it, it's a good film, with some neat event, but in no way did i find it at all scary, and yes i watched it in a room, by myself, with the curtains closed and the loghts off. There was only the very last scene that did anything, and it was 'tense', not scary. Still it was a good film.

4/5 - Very Good

Paul
    - It's funny, it's enjoyable, it's got two of my favourite film stars in it, with an alien.
    -- It's brilliant! I enjoyed it a lot more than i expected.

5/5 - Brilliant

Ghost's Film Review scores:

5/5 (Brilliant):
    The Bourne Ultimatum (11/8/11)
    Enemy at the Gates (12/8/11)
    Tron legacy (12/8/11)
    Super 8 (13/8/11) [Cinema x2]
    Source Code (15/8/11)
    The Adjustment Bureau (16/8/11)
    Back to the Future: Part 2 (21/8/11)
    Terminator 2: Judgement Day (23/811)
    The Dark Knight (23/8/11)
    Back to the Future (24/8/11)
    Inception (27/8/11)
    Spider-Man 2 (5/9/11)
    Gladiator (22/9/11)
    Kick-Ass (11/10/11)
    Shaun of the Dead (30/10/11)
    Paul (31/10/11)

4/5 (Very Good):
    Unbreakable (8/8/11)
    Lucky Number Slevin (10/8/11)
    The Bourne Identity (11/8/11)
    The Bourne Supremacy (11/8/11)
    Hot Fuzz (14/8/11)
    Top Gun (25/8/11)
    Cloverfield (28/8/11)
    Spider-Man (5/9/11)
    Unknown (17/9/11)
    Hanna (26/9/11)
    Paranormal Activity (31/10/11)

3/5 (Good):
    The Talented Mr. Ripley (10/8/11)
    The Truman Show (9/8/11)
    Scott Pilgram vs. the world (12/8/11)
    Back to the Future: Part 3 (24/8/11)
    Beverly Hills Cop (25/8/11)
    The Simpsons Movie (2/9/11)
    Chicken Run (3/9/11)
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (30/9/11) [Cinema]
    Blade Runner: The Final Cut (17/10/11)

2/5 (Average):
    Signs (26/8/11)
    Inglorious Basterds (12/10/11)
    Mad Max (15/10/11)

1/5 (Rubbish):

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The Thing (2011)

I'm a huge fan of Carpenter's original and I take nostalgic pleasure in watching The Thing From Another World. One can understand I was very excited to learn that they were doing a Thing prequel. So, here's one of my more anticipated films of the year.

Watching it yesterday, I noticed how similar it feels (and looks) to the Carpenter film. They added relatively nothing new to the formula, however they took the existing formula and used it to maximum potential. I for one happen to like this film, its spirit and authenticity in the Thing legacy. I also see some potential for a sequel to both this film and Carpenter's The Thing. It's got a couple of scares and jump-up moments, good looking visuals and more than satisfying acting performances. I most of all appreciate the boldness to make a prequel to a box office bomb (although The Thing '82 gained a lot of favouritism as cult classic).

If you're a fan of Carpenter's The Thing, I recommend you see it. If you like horror-monster films in general, I recommend it as well. But for those who believe that only Saw and Paranormal Activity constitute good horror, this may not be your type of entertainment, unless of course you want to expand your horizon.

One more thing: I'm a continuity junk. It helps that they closely examined the original film and decided to connect them tightly.

Apollo 18

A very atmospheric 'found footage' film for sure, but not overwhelming. It misses a lot of what made Blair Witch and Rec superb - especially the latter one - but it's still infinitely better than the dull, over-hyped Paranormal Activity. Once this film reveals its major antagonistic thread, I am suddenly much less engaged. It started of nicely yet couldn't keep me engaged throughout the entire picture. There's one major conceit which they ask me to indulge and I simply fail to comply. That way, Apollo 18 is a good film in my book, but not great.

• edited November 2011 Posts: 303
    Taken
    - Very, Very entertaining, and exciting. Liam Neeson shows true brutality and pure acting ability in this adrenaline-fueled action epic! Though while feeling 'five-star' worthy, i thought that the ending was insanely rushed and at some points during the film, the scripting just was 'odd'.

4/5 - Very Good

No Country For Old Men
    - Actually watched this a few nights back, then watched it again, but only now have had time to write aboiut it. Absolutely brilliant! Javier Bardem portrayed the villain so visiously, i honestly believe that one role is the best villain ever shown on cinema from what i've seen, if i had to chose of a selection of villains to meet (Ie. Voldermort, Terminator, Jigsaw etc. I'd definately chose one of them over him!)
    The Coen brothers directed the film beautifully, and it even had some amazing action sequences and the tension of the film was stunning! The only issue was the ending, i found it a bit 'strange', but it has settled on me. One of my 'all-time favourite' films.

5/5 - Brilliant
    Paranormal Activity 3.
    -Meh!

I will never willingly watch another Paranormal Activity movie. It was just a one trick pony. I almost fell asleep while watching this predictable garbage. Three times was enough for me, that much I can say.

1/5
    Currently watching:
    Love Story

The first film I walked out of. It was just really hard to understand, so I got it was about a love story in new York, but then they would break the fourth wall and ask people what would happen next?

1/5
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Dances With Wolves for the first time. What can I say, I loved it, really good storytelling and Barry's score was the icing on the cake.