Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Resident Evil - Afterlife.... yeah, crap.
    Did you stay for the credits? ;;)

Nah. Didn't see the point to stay after another lacklustre movie in the Resident Evil (movie) franchise. Although Wesker was kind of bad mother in the film as he was in the games.
    You missed Miss Valentine!!!

Anyway, I watched The Exorcist - AGAIN. Still one of the most important horror films ever made.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited September 2011 Posts: 13,894
    That 35 seconds is all i've seen of RE: Afterlife. Now we know that Jill is in RE: Retribution and that the role is not being recast, I just hope she'll get more screentime. As much as Apocalypse (if not more) would be nice.

-----

After buying it on DVD a few weeks back, I watched (for the first time in a while)...

"Boo."

That was back when the mask looked creepy. Favourite scene? What else but...

@Major

A classic, a true classic, sir! My love for H is huge. Excellent taste. I'll be rewarding myself with my favourite H "trilogy" this Saturday:

H
    H2
    H H2O
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Ah the Laurie Strode trillogy. I wasn't keen on H20.

I'm still an F13 fan, first and foremost, but credit where credit is due, Halloween was damn good. I think it's now overtaken H6 in my Halloween ranking.

I'm still an F13 fan, first and foremost, but credit where credit is due, Halloween was damn good. I think it's now overtaken H6 in my Halloween ranking.
    Thank goodness for that, sir. Granted, H6 has a few interesting moments of raw violence but it makes mistakes similar to F13 Part 9. It tries to give the evil a new spin, thereby effectively abandoning or unnecessarily expanding the content of the original.

edited September 2011 Posts: 13,894

Thank goodness for that, sir. Granted, H6 has a few interesting moments of raw violence but it makes mistakes similar to F13 Part 9. It tries to give the evil a new spin, thereby effectively abandoning or unnecessarily expanding the content of the original.

Ah, but i'm one of the 4 or 5 people that appreciate what Marcus and co did with JGTH (despite the expansion of the Voorhees family tree). It would have been easy for them to do a typical F13 film (set in crytal lake with teenagers sex and drugs), but they set out give us something different.

However, if I could change something about JGTH, it's that I would not have had Jason kill Creighton Duke. Duke would have been a good attempt at giving Jason his own Dr Loomis*.

*And no, i'm not counting Tommy Jarvis. [-X
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    edited September 2011 Posts: 823
    The Recruit

what a piece of BEEP!!

2/5

p.s. the only Halloween movies worth watching are Halloween 1 and Halloween 2, everything else and especially the Rob Zombie's remakes, are just excuses for money grabbing
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 2,107
    Resident Evil - Afterlife.... yeah, crap.
    Did you stay for the credits? ;;)

Nah. Didn't see the point to stay after another lacklustre movie in the Resident Evil (movie) franchise. Although Wesker was kind of bad mother in the film as he was in the games.
    You missed Miss Valentine!!!

I youpooped the scene later.

Anyway.
    Today I finally managed to see Cowboys & Aliens after resisting the urge to stream a bad quality copy of the film online.

It started like any western, I mean it felt like a western. But here's the funny thing ; I still thought it felt like a western, when the extraterrestrial things started to happen. The aliens were just an added bonus. There were all your usual western cliché types ; silent stranger, evil (so it seems first) ranch owner, coward doctor , preacher , indians etc. With a characters and cast like this, you could've done a straight western. Ford and Craig played well together. There was at times this competition between them on who's the tougher guy. Olivia Wilde was as beautiful as always. The movie moved in pace that never let you get bored or fall asleep. There was also some humor in the movie. Which usually came from Craig's characters tough act actions. Very enjoyable popcorn flick. A little dark at times, but I would want it any lighter.

4/5

• Full Metal Jacket, one of Kubrick's better works, but after the first half things die a slow death and one can easily lose interest
    No way! One of my favorite movies I can watch over and over and over again... until I die (fast death hopefully or one that doesn't include year or months of pain).

But for me, the movie does not die a slow death.
    Carpenter admitted he was on auto pilot when he did H2 script......as far as sequels go Id say H4 is pretty good.

Curse of Werewolf 4.5/6......good but there shouldve been more ww scenes.
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 1,639
    Chow certainly feared hed loose Bruce Lee to Hollywood , Ponti or Shaw Bros......hed never be able to match them salary wise. GH studios were supposedly funded by mob money , not to mention Big Boss director Lo Wei had a run in with Lee 10 days before Lee died.
    Sherlock Holmes (2009) and The Wicker Man (2006 aka the emasculated version) the latter which was better remake to one of the most creepy (in a weird not so scary way) british horror films, than I expected.

And by emasculated version, I mean none of the village's men had a speaking role, and they were all bunch of mutes, who were subordinates of the women of the island. Bee kind of society it was with it's Queen bee. It got a pretty ridiculous later, when Cage started to point his gun at and punching some of the women. I condemn any violence against women in real life, but I must say I found it hilarious when he punched the innkeeper and then judo kicked the innkeepers help. Anyway, apart from comedic sequences like that, it was a pretty good american remake. For all the Cage haters, he had to sustain more pain coming to him than Woodward's policeman had to in the original Wicker Man, where he was simply... well, you know. Wont spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen this or the original.
    Conan the Barbarian (2011) - This is a reimagening of our favorite Cimmerian who get born on the battlefield, which we encountera little later as a very focused kid that sees his father die by the hands of a baddie. Years later when he more or less established as a warrior he finds a trail to the murderer of his dad and then mayhem commences. Beautiful wenches, some serious slaying and a convincing decor stes up a fairly decent Conan-tale.
    There is some critism about the lack of depth of the script, folks haven't read any Howard then or read the still popular "Savage Sword of Conan" comics. Conan is not about a real deep person but about a powerful warrior with a code that slays not because he wants to but because he gets thrown into situations where folks underestimate his will to survive.
    I had a good time, it is a visual very attractive movie that brings those who like Conan something to enjoy. Momoa is a very convincing Conan. Bring on nr. 2.
    edited September 2011 Posts: 23,550
    Friends With Benefits
    Not the type of films I normally attend but the girlfriend practically forced me to watch it in the theatre today. To be honest, I was amused by this film, despite its predictable plot. Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake are both fine actors and they can almost carry the film entirely by themselves. Furthermore, this film takes a pacing that keeps your eyes open even if, after a hard day at work, your body is drained from its last bit of energy (like mine was). This is light comedy of course - the mind doesn't need to labour through intricate plot twists and whatnot, but that's okay given the nature of the film.

I've grown rather fond of Timberlake as an actor. Loved him in The Social Network, enjoyed him in Bad Teacher and I was downright admiring him for his performance in this film. I pray that he gives up that boyish singing career right now and moves into professional acting at once. There's a Hollywood future for Britney's ex... (and Cameron's ex).

The only minor element in this film is Woody Harrelson throwing up the stereotypical portrayal of a viril gay superman. Luckily he appears only briefly in a small number of scenes but I simply think Harrelson is miscast. But then again, I almost never liked the man in anything besides A Scanner Darkly.

As for Friends With Benefits, a huge recommend as a date movie!
    I went back and re-watched all Resident Evil films, and I have to say the movies aren't that bad after all. Even though they do depart from the game franchise from the get-go , and are far more action packed. The first three are decent , with the first one still the best and the fourth one wasn't as good as the rest. Enjoyable movies, but still not the best zombie movies out there.

Harry Brown.

I wouldn't want to live in a place like that. This and Eden Lake has made me think "What's wrong with the english kids today?" The movie packed a punch. Sir Michael Caine's still a good "action star". Even in his late 70's.

Conan The Destroyer

Meh! Pretty bad. Worse than I remembered. The first one with Ahnuld was far better.
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 303
    Unknown
    - It is like Bourne with Liam neeson, in an Alfred hitchcock film world.
    It was a good movie i thought, not AS good as it could have been (Maybe shorten it, it seemed to just be pointlessly making itself longer than it should've been to make it a feature film), but overall it was fun, exciting, and something 'different' (Sorta).

4/5 - Very Good
    - So good that it's only Just missing a 5/5...

• St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited September 2011 Posts: 1,699
    Latest update, peeps...

Cowboys And Aliens (2011) - Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford and Olivia Wilde in a western-alien-invasion mash-up from the director of the golden Iron Man - what's not to like? Not bad at all, actually, but only fair to say the western side of things is better done than the alien invasion stuff
    (500) Days Of Summer (2009) - Joseph Gordon-Levitt and the delightful Zooey Deschanel headline this keenly observed and nicely executed anti-rom-com
    The Matador (2005) - wonderful off-kilter hitman-themed comedy with Pierce Brosnan deliciously sending-up his 007 persona in unquestionably his best ever performance
    No Country For Old Men (2007) - a belated first viewing of this Oscar-winner for me, but - as I rather expected it wouldn't - it didn't bowl me over. An admirable, fine looking, well acted slow burner of a thriller that's rather overrated in my book
    Ghostbusters (1984) - evergreen '80s blockbusting comedy classic, which (whether he likes it or not) rightly made Bill Murray's career and is an iconic document of its decade
    Tootsie (1982) - Dusting Hoffman's thesp (a role that sends up his own 'difficult' reputation of the time) goes transvestite to secure acting work in this broad, breezy but finely done comedy
    Syriana (2005) - epic and intricate geo-political and oil industry-focused drama from the writer of Traffic. Not as dramatic and cutting as the latter, but a worthy and worthwhile watch, even if it does get rather too complex for its own good
    The Draughtman's Contract (1982) - idiosyncratic, (maybe overly) complicated, yet beautiful looking period-drama-cum-murder-mystery from Peter Greenaway
    Panique Au Village (A Town Called Panic) (2009) - a wilfully weird but inspired stop-motion comedy about the adventures of three plastic toys: a cowboy, an indian and a horse
    Idiocracy (2006) - far from idiotic, but this what-if, futuristic, gross-out-esque comedy from the creator of Beavis & Butthead isn't quite as clever as its maker perhaps thinks it is

Movies viewed by yours truly this year...

CW = Cinema watch
    FW = First watch
    RW = Re-watch

5 out of 5 ~ *****
    Elizabeth (1998) RW
    The King's Speech (2010) CW/ FW
    Layer Cake (2004) FW
    Persona (1966) FW
    Raiders Of The Lost Ark (1981) RW
    They Shoot Horses, Don't They (1969) FW
    The Third Man (1949) FW
    Viskningar Och Rop (Cries And Whispers) (1972) FW
    WALL.E (2008) RW

4 out of 5 ~ ****
    Alpha Male (2006) RW
    Beverly Hills Cop (1984) RW
    Brazil (1985) RW
    Coming To America (1988) RW
    Los Cronocrímenes (Timecrimes) (2007) FW
    The Damned United (2009) FW
    The Darjeeling Limited (2007) FW
    The Departed (2006) RW
    The Draughtman's Contract (1982) FW
    An Education (2009) FW
    (500) Days Of Summer (2009) RW
    Ghostbusters (1984) RW
    Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom (1984) RW
    Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade (1989) RW
    Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull (2008) RW
    The Killing Fields (1984) FW
    The Last King Of Scotland (2006) FW
    The Matador (2005) RW
    No Country For Old Men (2007) FW
    Panique Au Village (A Town Called Panic) (2009) FW
    Scener ur ett äktenskap (Scenes From A Marriage) (1973) FW
    Det sjunde inseglet (The Seventh Seal) (1957) FW
    Syriana (2005) FW
    Tootsie (1982) RW
    2046 (2004) FW
    X-Men: First Class (2011) CW/ FW

3 out of 5 ~ ***
    Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999) RW
    The Bank Job (2008) FW
    Barbarella (1968) RW
    Birthday Girl (2001) FW
    Brideshead Revisited (2008) FW
    Cote d'Azur (Cockles And Mussels) (2005) FW
    Cowboys And Aliens (2011) CW/ FW
    Dear Frankie (2004) RW
    Escape To Victory (1981) RW
    Female Agents (2008) FW
    Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008) FW
    Genova (2008) FW
    The Ghost Writer (2010) FW
    Girl With A Pearl Earring (2003) RW
    Hallam Foe (2007) FW
    The Hole (2001) FW
    Hope Springs (2003) FW
    The Man With One Red Shoe (1985) RW
    Marley & Me (2008) FW
    Monkey Business (1952) RW
    Octopussy (1983) RW
    Proof (2005) FW
    Quantum Of Solace (2008) RW
    Les Rivières Pourpres (The Crimson Rivers) (2000) FW
    Sweet Charity (1969) FW
    Trust The Man (2005) FW

2 out of 5 ~ **
    Cocktail (1988) RW
    Déficit (2007) FW
    Idiocracy (2006) FW
    Lesbian Vampire Killers (2009) FW
    Night Watch (1995) RW
    Salt (2010) FW
    Tango And Cash (1989) FW
    What Just Happened (2008) FW

1 out of 5 ~ *

• edited September 2011 Posts: 2,107
    Friday the 13th movies from part II to Jason X.

50/50, mediocre... decent... watchable... now I've finally seen every Friday movie there is. Took some time.

Had previously only seen the first, Jason X, Freddy Vs Jason and the reboot. Or I don't at least remember ever seeing parts 2 to 9 before.
    I actually don't mind Jason X. Ok, it's got patches of cheese ("maybe you should go out and take a peek."), but I like the look of Jason (pre-uber upgrade), and it's got some of the best kills in the series (cryogenic face smash, the slow/silent kneck snap & down the drill bit).
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 303
    Gladiator
    This must have been my 3rd/4th viewing, since i first watched it around only a year ago...
    It starts off decent, gets a bit slow, but you forgive that because it perfectly sets up everything for later on, which makes everything easily forgivable, because the movie is just soo touching, loving and exciting. The ending is great and you get a 'sad'/'happy' feeling (Both at the same time).
    Ridley Scott (Who grew up in the same area as i do ;o) shows his master-full powers in this amazing film.

5/5 - Brilliant.
    - A true masterpiece.

• PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur

The western Sean Connery and Brigitte Bardot chose to make instead of OHMSS. Bond veteran Bob Simmons did the stuntwork while Honor Blackman appeared as the ill-fated Lady Daggett. I believe Charles Gray dubbed the voice of Jack Hawkins, reunited with fellow "Ben-Hur" veteran Stephen Boyd. One critic called it "Bond in Buckskin" and that's a pretty accurate description of it. Connery and western veteran Woody Strode have a good battle at the end.

Mitch goes against his tough guy persona in this initially charming, though ultimately bittersweet comedy.

5. Robert Mitchum
    1. The Big Sleep (1978)
    2. The Red Pony (1949)
    3. The Yakuza (1974)
    4. Rampage (1963)
    **5. Two For The See Saw (1962) NE**
    6. The Amsterdam Kill (1977)
    7. Ryan's Daughter (1970)
    8. Cape Fear (1962)
    9. The Enemy Below (1957)
    10. Nightkill (1980)
    11. El Dorado (1966)
    12. Angel Face (1952)
    13. Five Card Stud (1968)
    14. Track Of The Cat (1954)
    15. Anzio (1968)
    16. Agency (1980)
  • edited October 2011 Posts: 303
    Hanna
    - Very strangely made film, it's an artsy-action-spy-type film...
    It was very good in my opinion, the character Hanna was played great, though the movie does move at a strange pace, it's not slow, but it's not fast-paced either.
    I don't think i've ever watched a film in this style before, i liked it.
    It's not an instant-rewatchable film, but i would certainly watch it again in a few months.

4/5 - Very Good
    - I think it just made a 4, it's better than a 3, though the pace is odd.

• edited October 2011 Posts: 303
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
    - I have been wanting to watch this film for a few weeks now, and i finally got the chance last night. From reviews, and even the trailer, i knew it was going to be a slow film. And oh yes. It is a slow film. It's got a very stylish tone to it, the cast is great, along with the acting. I wouldn't say that the film is 'boring', it IS slow (And there's NO way of getting around that), but i guess it was pretty good, not Brilliant, because i was not fully entertained, nor thrilled, even by the end. And it was oddly edited (Strange hard-cuts). And i was confused quite alot to what i was supposed to be following in plot/storyline quite often....

I don't quite know what to rate this.
    It was good, i wouldn't say Brilliant...
    I'm just gonna say:

3/5 - Good

Ghost's Film Review scores:

5/5 (Brilliant):
    The Bourne Ultimatum (11/8/11)
    Enemy at the Gates (12/8/11)
    Tron legacy (12/8/11)
    Super 8 (13/8/11) [Cinema x2]
    Source Code (15/8/11)
    The Adjustment Bureau (16/8/11)
    Back to the Future: Part 2 (21/8/11)
    Terminator 2: Judgement Day (23/811)
    The Dark Knight (23/8/11)
    Back to the Future (24/8/11)
    Inception (27/8/11)
    Spider-Man 2 (5/9/11)
    Gladiator (22/9/11)

4/5 (Very Good):
    Unbreakable (8/8/11)
    Lucky Number Slevin (10/8/11)
    The Bourne Identity (11/8/11)
    The Bourne Supremacy (11/8/11)
    Hot Fuzz (14/8/11)
    Top Gun (25/8/11)
    Cloverfield (28/8/11)
    Spider-Man (5/9/11)
    Unknown (17/9/11)
    Hanna (26/9/11)

3/5 (Good):
    The Talented Mr. Ripley (10/8/11)
    The Truman Show (9/8/11)
    Scott Pilgram vs. the world (12/8/11)
    Back to the Future: Part 3 (24/8/11)
    Beverly Hills Cop (25/8/11)
    The Simpsons Movie (2/9/11)
    Chicken Run (3/9/11)
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (30/9/11) [Cinema]

2/5 (Average):
    Signs (26/8/11)

1/5 (Rubbish):

• Can't be on long but watched Midnight Express a few hours ago

This has one of the best opening 15 minutes ever seen on screen, even though the score and overall feel of the movie feels thoroughly outdated from it's original release in 1978. Based on a true story but screenwriter Oliver Stone and director Alan Parker went way over the top in depicting on film the true events of what actually happened.

Not a nice two and a bit hours to sit through but if you can stomach it well worth a watch if you get hold of a copy. Because a large extent of the movie is in Turkish (most of the time), without subtitles, it's almost impossible to hear what is being said but on this occasion, actions speak louder than words. I recommend this picture to anyone who hasn't seen it, but caution recommended, it's not for kids

(actually did this a few nights ago but couldn't submit at the time, well done for saved drafts) [-O<

Seriously, grab a copy of this movie if you can find it
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited October 2011 Posts: 40,473
    Inception:

Watched it again last night. I've seen it nearly ten times now, and I love it. Amazing cast, beautiful work by Nolan, great pace, excellent action...and yet, no matter how many times I see the film, I still feel like my mind was sexually assaulted after the credits roll. No matter how much I spend on message boards reading other views and answers to FAQs, I just cannot wrap my mind around the film fully enough to totally explain it to someone who has those questions. Still, a very good film.

5/5
  • Inception:

Watched it again last night. I've seen it nearly ten times now, and I love it. Amazing cast, beautiful work by Nolan, great pace, excellent action...and yet, no matter how many times I see the film, I still feel like my mind was sexually assaulted after the credits roll. No matter how much I spend on message boards reading other views and answers to FAQs, I just cannot wrap my mind around the film fully enough to totally explain it to someone who has those questions. Still, a very good film.

5/5
    I agree, it's a rare film in which i can watch time-and-time again, over-and-over, without becoming bored, because i always find something that i didn't notice before.
    - Although i don't think i've ever found it confusing, not as much as people claim it to be...
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2011 Posts: 13,350
    I managed to see Johnny English Reborn and quite liked it actually. In a strange sort of way, on par with the first as it feels so different.
    Aliens the directors cut - Still one of the best actioners ever made, hae seen that movie fairly often but it never fails to thrill me.

Alien resurrection - Like all previous episodes it has its own atmosphere, and the return of Ripley is still amazing especially with her new talents which makes her somewhat of an Alien herself. The direction chosen with the Aliens is brave one too bad that the human/alien is a somewhat botched attempt, they should have asked the original artist to create that creature, it would have been more effective I think. Still an impressive part of the series.