Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    edited August 2011 Posts: 357

Unbreakable
    - Another clever idea, though the tone of the film seemed strange to what the film was all about. The film was about a guy (Bruce Willis), who cannot be harmed or become ill, and has not been able to for his entire life, but he does not realise this until he meets the completely oppossite peson to him (Samuel L. Jackson), who is extremly vunerable to breaking a bone, because he has a problem that makes his bones weaker than other people's, and these two meet, and the bone-breaking guy tries throughout the whole movie to convince Willis' character that he is the 'hero' that only seems to exist in comic book and such. The movie is a whole lot better than how i described it, it is a realistic film, with the 'super hero' touch to it, but it never goes 'over the top' on anything, instead keeps it believable and real (ish).

4/5 (Very Good)
    - Reminds me of other 'super hero' movies, but towards the end, the film becomes something different, with a likeable ending.!
    it is an interesting concept and builds a strong ambiance, however, in the end, it is just so painfully slow...
    and as for the stupid tacked on "what happened afterwards" narrative at the end... IMO a movie like this should leave unanswered questions, not try to wrap it all up in a neat little parcel
    in other words, an architypal MNS movie
    The Talented Mr. Ripley
    - The film starts off slow, and not very interesting, gets better towards the middle, then is pretty suspenseful, but somehow fails to have a quick pace, i had nothing wrong with this film up to this point, it was clever, and pretty entertaining.
    I was not really happy with the ending though.

3/5 (Good)
    - Slow, not perfect, and not exactly a 'cheery' film, but still clever and suspenseful!
    try the French version, "Purple Noon" with Alan Delon, it's much better
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    Super (2010)

4/5

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1512235/

if you enjoyed the 2010 film, Kick Ass, you will enjoy this one too

p.s. is it just me? Everytime I see Ellen Page, I feel like she looks 12 years old and not 24?!?
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 303

it is an interesting concept and builds a strong ambiance, however, in the end, it is just so painfully slow...
    and as for the stupid tacked on "what happened afterwards" narrative at the end... IMO a movie like this should leave unanswered questions, not try to wrap it all up in a neat little parcel
    in other words, an architypal MNS movie
    Still i enjoyed it, and that's a good point

try the French version, "Purple Noon" with Alan Delon, it's much better
    Might do sometime, i enjoyed this version, so if it is better, then thanks for the recommendation

Source Code (Rewatch)
    - I absolutely loved it when i saw it at the cinemas, it is very interesting, and highly clever, i'd recommend it to round about anyone.

5/5 (Brilliant)
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 2,107
    Lezzee...

Re-animator
    Zombi 2

And, uh, the rest I forgot.

Zombie, was made before Dawn of the Dead, and was re-named Zombi 2 , in Italy because Dawn, I believe, was named Zombi, when released in Italy.
    I liked it. I'm not sure if I've seen this one before. Technically it was better made than Romero's"Dawn". But lacked the message. Although it was great to see a zombie trying to eat a shark. From my username, anyone should guess that I like when anyone's in odds with a shark. But this battle of two beasts was really well done for an european movie made in -79.
    If you like zombie movies, and haven't seen this one, you really should.
    I mean zombie vs a shark. How kewl is that?
    The Adjustment Bureau (Rewatch)
    - Now i know many dislike the film for 'flaws' and stuff, but while watching this film i never spot them, i just go along with the beautifulness and amazement of this wonderful film, and every time i enjoy it. It's not a film about violence, action, gun fights etc. just a really good storyteller with some amazing sequences that kep you entertained and excited, this is one of my all-time favourite movies, and nobody can make me think different.

5/5 (Brilliant)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Lezzee...

Re-animator
    Stone. Cold. Classic. I'm still waiting for 'House..', though it'll probably never happen.

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    The rise of the planet of the apes;

entertaining and intelligent.

I especially loved the references to the original planet of the apes.

10/10
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 23,530
    Children Of The Corn II

:-(
    watch 3 instead, Charlize Theron first ever screen appearance is in there
    Planning on doing that, sir. I've got the DVD right here. :)
    Halloween 2 (2009)

Not a patch on the original H2. Ok, this isn't my favourite horror series, but i'd still like to know what Rob Zombie is thinking. What's the deal with HoboMyers and why is Loomis acting now like such a ... well, let's be nice and say... moron.

1. Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers (1995)
    2. Halloween (1978)
    3. Halloween II (1981)
    4. Halloween 4: The Return Of Michael Myers (1988)
    -----
    5. Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998)
    6. Halloween 5 (1989)
    -----
    7. Halloween: Resurrection (2002)
    8. Halloween (2007)
    9. Halloween II (2009)
    10. Halloween III: Season Of The Witch (1982)
    I hear ya, @Major. I don't think Zombie was thinking. Now, we know that H'07 wasn't the Halloween film he wanted to make. If H2 is what he DID want to make, however, then I've lost a bit of respect for the man. Huge fan of House of 1000 Corpses, Devil's Rejects and even El Superbeasto, but I'm an even bigger fan of the H series and H2 felt like swearing in church. It's blasphemous. In the same way, I lost respect for Toby Hooper when he confessed that Texas 2 was more like the type of film he had originally intended for the first Texas.

Just wondering, when you put Curse in the number 1 spot, are you referring to the theatrical film or the infamous producer's cut?

Here's my list, by the way:

1. H '78 (One of my favourite all time horror films)
    2. H2 '81
    3. H2O

4. H '07

5. H5
    6. H4

7. Curse - producer's cut
    8. Curse - theatrical cut

9. HIII

10. Resurrection
    11. H2 '09

And now two films I saw today:

Herbie goes to Monte Carlo

Pure youth sentiment. ;;)

Metropolis

Fritz Lang's masterpiece. While I still prefer M over this one, I love it nonetheless.

Truly one of the most remarkable achievements in film history.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 13,894
    I hear ya, @Major. I don't think Zombie was thinking. Now, we know that H'07 wasn't the Halloween film he wanted to make. If H2 is what he DID want to make, however, then I've lost a bit of respect for the man. Huge fan of House of 1000 Corpses, Devil's Rejects and even El Superbeasto, but I'm an even bigger fan of the H series and H2 felt like swearing in church. It's blasphemous. In the same way, I lost respect for Toby Hooper when he confessed that Texas 2 was more like the type of film he had originally intended for the first Texas.

Just wondering, when you put Curse in the number 1 spot, are you referring to the theatrical film or the infamous producer's cut?

Here's my list, by the way:

1. H '78 (One of my favourite all time horror films)
    2. H2 '81
    3. H2O

4. H '07

5. H5
    6. H4

7. Curse - producer's cut
    8. Curse - theatrical cut

9. HIII

10. Resurrection
    11. H2 '09

Actually, I was ranking the Theatrical Cut. I have seen only bits of the Producers Cut on youtube, and i'd really like to get my hands on a copy of the DVD. I've only ever seen 1 copy pop up on ebay, and I regret not buying it then. I'm surprised to see you rank the remake that high Dimi. Did you like it that much, or do you just prefer it to the films below. Don't get me wrong, Hodder is my favourite Jason, and with more films under his belt, Mears too may become a favourite, but I think Tyler Mane could make one seriously wicked Jason. I've though that since I say How To Make A Monster.

I hope that one day, it get;s an official release.

Last Film I watched...

30 Days Of Night (2007)

Triangle got me interested in seeing more of George's films, 30 Days has only furthered my interest. And I was surprised with Hartnett, I had always put him down as the lightweight type.

1. Triangle (2009)
    2. 30 Days Of Night (2007)
    3. Paradise Lost (2007)
    4. Second Chances (2010
    Friday the 13th Part II
    Friday the 13th Part III
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Major I really like the remake, TBH. It's got lovely Danielle Harris in it. ;;) Malcolm Mcdowell does surprisingly well as Loomis in this film. Mane is a fine Michael. The story is good as well. Half the film is Zombie telling us more about the nature of Michael's evil and the second half is a condensed retelling of the original. Bates' score works fine. And William Forsythe is simply enjoyable as white trailer trash. :) It's kind of strange though that only Sheri Moon, besides Scout Taylor-Compton, keeps her clothes on in this film, while she is playing a stripper. :P It pays to be Zombie's wife, I suppose. ;;) I love to see, even in small parts, the likes of Sid Haig, Danny Trejo and Ken Foree. Too bad that Zombie wasted it all in the sequel.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Last film I saw:

PLANET OF THE APES

This is a film everyone should watch these days. It talks about evolution, about stubborn refusal to accept scientific evidence and about the dangers of religious doctrines. But there's more. I'm still charmed by the costumed apes, especially Roddy McDowall. Goldsmith's score is pure gold. Franklin James Schaffner had a great eye for enormous scopes, which helps to be shocked and amazed by the famous final shot in the film. This is my third favourite Sci-Fi film ever.

• j7wildj7wild Suspended
    The Good The Bad and The Weird

I know it's loosely based on The Good The Bad and The Ugly but this movie from Korea is fun

5/5

I watched a movie called Silent Hill recently, it was one of the most bizarre, confusing, and disgusting pieces of film I've ever seen, but it was entertaining, It came to an end and I wondered what exactly is was that had been on screen for the last two and a half hours, anyone gets a chance to see it, I do urge them to have a go but some people will need strong stomachs and definitely not for kids
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    edited August 2011 Posts: 823
    Silent Hill is based on a video game series and there is a sequel coming!!

I just watched Hostage with Bruce Willis

4.5/5

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0340163/

by Florent Emilio Siri, the director of L'ennemi intime (Intimate Enemies) and Nid de guêpes (The Nest)

this guy needs to make more movies!!
    Star Trek

I watched it because it was on. And I'm glad I did - because it perfectly encapsulates exactly what I dislike about the Abrams/Orci/Kurtzmann line-up. I've never quite been able to quantify it before; I've played a few different arguments, but I've never really been able to provide a clear and cohesive argument until now.

This has a film that has absolutely everything in it that it should have: it adds toa franchise with a rich and complex history without disrupting it, it has characters with actual motivations, it has action sequences that (usually) fit the plot, and Leonard Nimoy as Spock. And yet, it's completely hollow and empty.

Take one of the action scenes, for example: the space jump. A group of characters must perform a twenty-kilometre freefall through enemy-controlled space, into the atmosphere to land on a small drilling platform to destroy it before it destroys a planet. This should be a very exciting sequence: physically-vulnerable characters on a time-sensitive, high-stakes mission. And yet, it's just ... boring. This really sums up the film: in two hours, planets are destroyed, armadas attacked, mutinies take place, and missions to save the world are staged. And nothing elicits any kind of emotional response from me. I'm not curious as to what happens next, or how events will affect things.
    it's boring. so much for a clear and cohesive argument huh?

TWINE
    Back to the Future: Part 2
    - I had a friend round, and we decided to watch this, seen it many times before, and it may not be as clever as the first, but it doesn't mean it isn't clever, it's hugely complex with special effects which to this day don't bother me. I love this film, just as the first, and is definately one of the greatest films of all time, along with the first.

5/5 (Brilliant)
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    I just watched Win Win, good one.
    it's boring. so much for a clear and cohesive argument huh?
    Yes, it is. Despite everything in the film that should draw an emotional response - be it adrenaline, fear, happiness, distress; whatever - the film consistnently fails to do so. It's just a hollow, soulless film.
    Cowboys and Aliens

Cowboys and Aliens has to be the most self-explanatory title since Snakes on a Plane in 2006. With high-profile movie makers such as John Faverau, Steven Spielberg and Ron Howard involved Cowboys and Aliens was certainly going to be hyped up to the roof. One would have to have been living in the desert to not have seen the countless posters on buses or billboards.
    Unfortunately while the film provides a few entertaining moments it falls rather flat as a whole. For a film entitled Cowboys and Aliens it’s around 70% the former and 30% the latter. The aliens are absent through fairly large chunks of the film while many standard cowboy characters seem to come and go, and as a result spoil the metaphorical broth. It does not help that none of these supporting characters are particularly memorable either. Genres have been mixed before in movies such as the war/science fiction adventure Predator, however in that case, the characters were fewer in numbers and far more entertaining.
    Daniel Craig does a decent Clint Eastwood impression and definitely looks the part but occasionally sounds monotone. Harrison Ford however really chews the scenery as the ultra-grumpy Civil War veteran and is quite possibly the most enjoyable aspect of the film. He certainly looks like he is having the most fun.
    This being a part western C&A does contain some impressive long shots of grand landscapes as well as moments where the cavalry comes charging in. However for a film with a promising B-movie idea, Cowboys falls short. Other reviews have claimed that it simply is not fun enough – a criticism that is certainly justified.

5/10
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)

Team event this afternoon, this was the selection, I did not approve. Well I didn't really care, there was little that interested me. Having seen a trailer, I had very little hope for this movie. For once, this remake wasn't just about re-making the exact same movie 10-20 years later with better CGI, this was a different story with a different goal. The apes are basically only trying to escape imprisonment in this one, not really trying to kill off humans or dominate the planet, which I thought was interesting. The CGI was fine, I didn't cringe seeing any of the apes, and most of the shots of Cesar, the main ape were nice. It does have a family-like theme, the scientist adopts the baby ape and brings him home to raise him. Seeing him grow and show signs of intelligence, it was clear that the injections his mother received were successfully transmitted. The ape grows up and most of the movie is about the interactions with the main character, which again, is a drastic difference to all previous planet of the apes flicks. Eventually Cesar attacks the mean neighbour and is taken away to an ape rescue center where the poor apes are mistreated and neglected. Cesar breaks out, finds the medication to get his fellow apes smarter and all escape for the final battle which is all about freedom.

I was expecting a catastrophe, and ended up slightly surprised. The movie isn't very good, and contains a lot of cheese, but is somewhat enjoyable. I'm feeling generous today, rounding up a 6.5 into a 7/10
    Bullet To Beijing
    the direction is uninspired, the dialogue is often inadequate and the supporting acting is generally deficient
    on the other hand, once you manage to swallow Harry Palmer's initial involvement in the whole scheme of things, the complex plot hangs together pretty well, the story moves along and avoids getting bogged down, and there is plenty of off hand humour and crash bang shoot'em up action
    Michael Caine is reliably Michael Caine-esque, Jason Connery and Mia Sara are pretty but rather ineffectual actors, Michael Gambon is underused as the mastermind
    good value for a TV movie
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    Hostage with Bruce Willis

it was alright - could had been so much better - a bit too predictable and clichey

3.5/5
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Hostage with Bruce Willis

it was alright - could had been so much better - a bit too predictable and clichey

3.5/5
    So why did you wrote this a few days ago ?

I just watched Hostage with Bruce Willis

4.5/5

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0340163/

by Florent Emilio Siri, the director of L'ennemi intime (Intimate Enemies) and Nid de guêpes (The Nest)

this guy needs to make more movies!!
    Another French comic strip legend gone......RIP Tabary , creator of Iznogoud.
    Harry Brown
    Michael Caine in a vigilante movie which, after recent events in Britain, is looking more prophetic and relevant than ever
    Michael Caine does "Gran Torino"? yes, as the success of Eastwoods movie certainly inaugurated the latest fad for aged heros kicking ass
    however plot wise this is more like a revamp of "Death Wish", where the expectations of the audiences "inner vigilante" are gratified, rather than disillusioned, as in "Torino"
    so it's gritty and realistic in it's depiction, except that Harry walks away scott free and victorious in the end
    which is highly unlikely and part of the reason "liberal" thinking reviewers directed so much vitriol toward it
    and which is where Eastwoods movie moves above it on the moral plain, by trying to illustrate the cyclic futility of violence and revenge
    however if you are a fan of the genre, Harry Brown won't let you down

M
    from the golden age of German movie making, the film that launched Peter Lorre's career
    Meister director Fritz Lang brings his then revolutionary long tracking shots, but this is more restrained than his usual expressionism
    very much grounded in the real world and considered by many a precursor to film noir
    the film really comes to life once Lorre's serial child killer has been identified and is on the run
    Lorre's performance is electric, for much of the movie he hardly speaks, apart from a few banalities, everything is communicated by his facial expressions alone
    the violence is always implied, but when he starts whistling "In The Hall Of The Mountain King" you'll feel a chill down your spine
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 103
    Star Wars Episode VI, for the first time.

How the hell does Hayden Christensen appear at the end? Have I missed something?
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 1,856
    CGI,@thegaintcookie,CGI
    Star Wars Episode VI, for the first time.

How the hell does Hayden Christensen appear at the end? Have I missed something?
    You were watching the DVD release, which have one disk with altered scenes, and a second disk with the original ;)

(Update)

Ghost's Film Review scores:

5/5 (Brilliant):
    The Bourne Ultimatum (11/8/11)
    Enemy at the Gates (12/8/11)
    Tron legacy (12/8/11)
    Super 8 (13/8/11) [Cinema]
    Source Code (15/8/11)
    The Adjustment Bureau (16/8/11)
    Back to the Future: Part 2 (21/8/11)
    Terminator 2: Judgement Day (23/811)
    The Dark Knight (23/8/11)
    Back to the Future (24/8/11)
    Inception (27/8/11)

4/5 (Very Good):
    Unbreakable (8/8/11)
    Lucky Number Slevin (10/8/11)
    The Bourne Identity (11/8/11)
    The Bourne Supremacy (11/8/11)
    Hot Fuzz (14/8/11)
    Top Gun (25/8/11)

3/5 (Good):
    The Talented Mr. Ripley (10/8/11)
    The Truman Show (9/8/11)
    Scott Pilgram vs. the world (12/8/11)
    Back to the Future: Part 3 (24/8/11)
    Beverly Hills Cop (25/8/11)

2/5 (Average):
    Signs (26/8/11)

1/5 (Rubbish):

Westworld (1973)

I gave this film another watch after remembering liking it when I was only 12 or 13. The film is not without its flaws, but I must say, I enjoyed it about as much as I thought I did...and with movies from my childhood, that usually doesn't happen.

Yul Brynner, despite only having a couple lines, gives a brilliant performance as the Gunslinger...he was truly the terminator before 'The Terminator'...John Carpenter even said Brynner's character in Westworld was inspiration for Halloween's Michael Meyers.

Either way, a good robot vs. man film.

I would pay to see the rumored remake.

8/10