Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I thought Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows was good but not great. The first was far better in my opinion. The new one, in many way felt like a retread to me, sadly.
    Have you read the Conan Doyle short stories and novels? Specifically "The Final Problem", which is the short story featuring Sherlock and Moriarty.

Yes, and the end of the film was the saving grace and best part, it's the rest I have trouble with.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Transformers: Dark Of The Moon

Someone owes me two and a half hours. I'm talking to you, Mr. Bay!
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,350
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Transformers: Dark Of The Moon

Someone owes me two and a half hours. I'm talking to you, Mr. Bay!

Can't believe you fell for it Dimi! Especially, after the second - which I didn't even see!

I'm warning you now, don't watch the fourth, even worse is, Bay looks to be coming back.
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    Saw 'The Goonies' today for the first time ever. It was also the last time ever. Nuff said.
    Just watched "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" for the first time in years. A fantastic film
  • Mission impossible: ghost protocol. Awesome. I can honestly say I think its one of the best spy films of all time, I liked it alot better than QOS and a tiny bit better than CR.
    Calendar Girls. Awesome. Why was Dame Helen never a Bond girl? Surely not too late. May be Dame Judy's replacement.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Mission impossible: ghost protocol. Awesome. I can honestly say I think its one of the best spy films of all time, I liked it alot better than QOS and a tiny bit better than CR.

Better than CR! WHAAAA?!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    A tripple-bill of Frankie Howard style innuendo with...

Up Pompeii (1971)
    Up The Chastity Belt (1971)
    Up The Front (1972)

I'd also rate them in that order, with POMPEII being the better one of the three.
  • Star Trek II (1982) and the next one Part III The Voyage Home (1986)

Star Trek goes from the original cast playing it straight and probably the best film in the series and an outstanding villain in Ricardo Montalban to an embarrassing nonsense of 'save the whales' and nothing at all to do with the series at all, this is what happens when you put amateur directors in charge :-L
    Star Trek II (1982) and the next one Part III The Voyage Home (1986)

Star Trek goes from the original cast playing it straight and probably the best film in the series and an outstanding villain in Ricardo Montalban to an embarrassing nonsense of 'save the whales' and nothing at all to do with the series at all, this is what happens when you put amateur directors in charge :-L

Actually, The Voyage Home would be Part IV. Part III is The Search For Spock.
    Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978)

invasion-of-the-body-snatchers-collectors-edition.jpg

Here's one of those rare occasions where I hold a remake in higher esteem than the original. While Don Siegel's film stands out as one of the better and more convincing paranoia themed horror / sci-fi flicks of the 1950s, it isn't half as strong as Philip Kaufman's 1978 reworking of Jack Finney's book, The Body Snatchers.

Before you disagree with me, allow me to confess that I'm a sucker for the aesthetics and mood building of 70s horror flicks, IOTBS being no exception to the various preconceived notions I bring to each new exploration into the darker fears that dominated the grey decade. And so when I first saw the film, many years ago, I knew what I hoped it would be and as it turned out, IOTBS was exactly that film. Since then I've revisited this superbly made piece of sci-fi horror countless times and I never seem to grow tired of it.

Is it really that great, then? Well, it depends. If you are into 70s horror like I am and you can stomach the slow pace of its first act, then yes. If you like heart-pounding paranoia, presented as if it were very real, with only a glimmer of hope for salvation amidst the overall dark tone of the film, then you most certainly need to see this film. Also, there's Donald Sutherland, Brooke Adams, Veronica Cartwright, Leonard Nimoy and a young Jeff Goldblum. A strong cast like this may by itself offer enough of an incentive to watch the film, if you haven't already. And Denny Zeitlin's weird, uneasy score certainly adds to the film's creepy vibes. The pulsating sound effects created by Ben Burtt never fail to enhance the weary sensations that I happily endure when watching IOTBS.

Of all four adaptations of The Body Snatchers, this one I prefer most, with Don Siegel's original in a firm second place and both 1993's Body Snatchers and 2007's The Invasion finishing last. To anyone who enjoys intelligent horror, presented in the spirit of the golden decade of horror, I recommend IOTBS. Don't be fooled by the apparently silly title. There's serious content underneath with tremendous social and political subtext.

A five star film for me.
    edited January 2012 Posts: 23,561
    Rocky Balboa (2006)

ROCKY+6.2.jpg

So, I finally went the distance with this sixth film in the Rocky series. I liked it. Stallone pulled off both returns to his old successes as both Rocky Balboa and John Rambo are great films in my book.

Here's my Rocky ranking:

1) Rocky 2
    2) Rocky
    3) Rocky 3
    4) Rocky Balboa
    5) Rocky 4
    6) Rocky 5
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 1,894
    Limitless

A good bit of fun. Bradley Cooper discovers a wonder drug that unlocks his untapped potential. Naturally, it comes with some nasty side effects. He begins experiencing blackouts, all while trying to fend off Russian loan sharks, solve a murder that he may have committed, and work out who else is on the drug and using it to their advantage. Unfortunately, it just kind of ends - it doesn't really tie off all its plot threads. But it's still a neat piece of work.

The Ghost Writer

Ewan McGregor is a ghost writer who gets a job writing the memoirs of former prime minister Pierce Brosnan when the previous ghost writer died. As McGregor gets to know the Brozzer, he begins to suspect his predecessor's death was no accident, and everything unravels from there. It's a neat little thriller.
  • Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
    - (Second viewing) Even after a second viewing, i still absolutely love this film!
    Espionage is my favourtie type of film, and this just has Everything i would want in a great spy film. It's brilliant!

9/10

Phone Booth
    - My friend recomended i watch this, so i did.
    It was pretty decent, i enjoyed it. It's sort of what you would get if you mixed: 'Speed', a bit of 'Following' and the Jigsaw killer from 'Saw', but still turn out good enough to enjoy.

6/10
    Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1956)

invasion-of-the-body-snatchers.jpg

Having been brought in the right mood by yesterday's viewing of the 1978 Philip Kaufman version, mentioned a few posts back, I decided to rewatch the Don Siegel original this evening. While not quite as mesmerising as the second adaptation, this film nevertheless marks one of the highlights of 1950s horror / Sci-Fi cinema, along with other notable genre films like Village Of The Damned, The Thing From Another World and The Quatermass Xperiment films for the Hammer Studios. It oozes red fear but for those who prefer to watch this film from a purely Sci-Fi perspective, it's a source of entertainment. Yes, no need to be able to sit through a black-and-white film without the greatest of special effects, but it's definitely worth a try. For a fan of good horror / Sci-Fi fusions, like myself, it brings enough to the table for a great viewing.

4/5
  • Just watched SALT. Loved it. Glad Cruise didn't do it. It was supposed to have a few plot holes. Anyone know of any? And I can't wait for SALT 2. Forget Bourne I need more SALT.
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    Just came back from Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. And I have to admit, I absolutely loved it. It's mind-blowing, over-the-top, full of action, has fun moments, class, an excellent score. Basicly everything that Skyfall should be.
    Clue which was of course Brilliant Tim curry's best perfoamnce

"Like the mounties we always get our man" wadsworth
    "Mrs Peacock was a man" mr green
    wadsworth slaps him.

lol
  • Something called The Descent about a group of woman adventurers who go underground and come face to face with all manner of weird and bizarre monster types. I couldn't even work out what was going on half the time such was it so dark on screen. Safe to say it was a rather gory and bloody two hours spent and I kind of enjoyed it but such as it was filmed in such confined spaces there wasn't really a scope of adventure but for grisly fun, this would be right up some people's alley.
    Something called The Descent about a group of woman adventurers who go underground and come face to face with all manner of weird and bizarre monster types. I couldn't even work out what was going on half the time such was it so dark on screen. Safe to say it was a rather gory and bloody two hours spent and I kind of enjoyed it but such as it was filmed in such confined spaces there wasn't really a scope of adventure but for grisly fun, this would be right up some people's alley.

Well all I can say is that this is one of my top ten horror flicks of the '00s and believe me when I say I've seen a lot of horror. ;-)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Something called The Descent about a group of woman adventurers who go underground and come face to face with all manner of weird and bizarre monster types. I couldn't even work out what was going on half the time such was it so dark on screen. Safe to say it was a rather gory and bloody two hours spent and I kind of enjoyed it but such as it was filmed in such confined spaces there wasn't really a scope of adventure but for grisly fun, this would be right up some people's alley.

Well all I can say is that this is one of my top ten horror flicks of the '00s and believe me when I say I've seen a lot of horror. ;-)

I'll second that, The Descent is on my list of favourite horror films of the decate 2000 - 2009.

http://www.listal.com/list/horror-films-2000-2009

:-\"

That top 3 is a pleasure to gaze upon, Major. ;-)

Personally, I hold House Of The Devil in the highest esteem possible. Any modern filmmaker who tries to deliver the typical aesthetics and pacing of '70s horror is my best friend, my hero. Ti West, you're the man!
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,894
    DarthDimi wrote:

That top 3 is a pleasure to gaze upon, Major. ;-)

Personally, I hold House Of The Devil in the highest esteem possible. Any modern filmmaker who tries to deliver the typical aesthetics and pacing of '70s horror is my best friend, my hero. Ti West, you're the man!

So you are not interested in The Inkeepers even in the slightest, then? ;)
  • I saw something similar about the same time of release called Silent Hill that was miles better. It wasn't underground but a type of Resident Evil type zombie mash in some derelict premises, it was far nastier and brutal and frightening even.

Not really one for monster movies but I've seen some interesting releases in any event
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,350
    I'm sure there's a second Silent Hill currently being filmed.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Hill:_Revelation_3D

Yeah, coming at least six years after the last.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I'm sure there's a second Silent Hill currently being filmed.

There is, Silent Hill: Relevations 3D. It's not one that I can say i'm excited for, I wasn't a fan of the games or the first film.
    So you are not interested in The Inkeepers even in the slightest, then? ;)

Let's say I'm a trifle impatient to see that film... ;-)

ABDUCTION - Starring Taylor Lautner

Abduction is an insult to film. One of the worst films I have seen in a long, long time. I will have to pray to God from now on that my brain will not have any sort of long term defects. Ugh.
  • while we're in Horror Film territory I'd like to add the worst I ever saw of this genre was something in the late 1960s with Frankie Avalon called 'Haunted House of Horror' or something, it was a shambles. I actually had some high hopes for this release, but it was so lame I have trouble even typing about it. Some kids of the time (psychedelic, LSD movement) get bored and decide to visit a haunted house, needless to say they get picked off one by one, with disastrous effects.

One to avoid.