The thread of Bond lists - LIST 157 - Evaluate the FRWL Opening Titles. (see criteria)

Comments

• edited August 2013 Posts: 6,396
    1. Bond bungee jumps hundreads of feet off a damn on to the roof of the Archangel facility only for said facility to be on top of a mountain. Sorry, what??

2. The unconvincing special effects of Bond freefalling to catch the plane. After a brilliant stunt involving Wayne Michaels, we get this 'special effects cop out'!

3. Eric Serra. I applaud EON for their brave choice to try and go in a new direction but it just simply doesn't work. No wonder Altman was brought in to re-score the tank chase.

4. "Kirovs Funeral Parlour 4 O' Clock this afternoon". What? Because the previous set-up scene with Wade was omitted from the final cut, the scene with Bond and Zukovsky makes absolutely no sense.

5. Brosnan's acting. It's a retrospective negative here given how much better he is in TND and TWINE. Here, in GE, he plays it way too safe and looks almost out of his depth at times.
    5 - "Jerry Was a Racecar Driver"... I mean... Serra's score... during the DB5/Ferrari chase scene.

4 - Brosnan's overall performance. I've said it before, no movie so good has had a performance from its' lead actor be so terrible.

3 - "The things I do for frequent flyer miles." If there was ever a single line that summed up how terrible P&W are, this is it.

2 - "Beg your pardon, forgot to knock." That'd be tasteless in a Roger Moore film, for god's sake.

1 - Xenia kills Chuck Farrell... in bed... with her thighs... using S&M. Most uncomfortable scene in the entire series. Possibly the worst, even.

3 - "The things I do for frequent flyer miles." If there was ever a single line that summed up how terrible P&W are, this is it.

P&W didn't write GE!

P&W didn't write GE!

My mistake, I picked that up from someone else's comment on the line then. Well, whoever wrote it, it's a terrible line and is certainly about the quality of what P&W usually write.

P&W didn't write GE!

My mistake, I picked that up from someone else's comment on the line then. Well, whoever wrote it, it's a terrible line and is certainly about the quality of what P&W usually write.

I dislike P&W as much as the next man but even I think it's harsh blaming them for work they haven't been invloved in ;-)

P&W didn't write GE!

I dislike P&W as much as the next man but even I think it's harsh blaming them for work they haven't been invloved in ;-)

P&W went back in time to ruin the Bond films before the ones they did. I'm telling you, time travel exists. #ConspiracyTheory

P&W didn't write GE!

P&W went back in time to ruin the Bond films before the ones they did. I'm telling you, time travel exists. #ConspiracyTheory

Damn it! You're right. They're using their invention for pure evil.
  • LATEENTRYREFUSETOFOLLOWTHESCRIPT

Best in Licence to Kill:

5. Krest's decompression

4. The scene at the Hemingway House. Probably Robert Brown's finest hour.

3. Q showing up to do fieldwork. Always nice seeing Bond and Q being more friendly.

2. Tanker chase preceding...

1. "Don't you want to know why?"

Worst in GoldenEye

5. I have a love-hate relationship with Jack Wade. So I guess he goes here.

4. The lack of a proper Bond theme during the gun barrel. I like the idea, and it would be cool somewhere else, but it doesn't work here at all.

3. Architectural wackiness during the PTS, along with blatant back projection.

2. Boris's antics in Severnaya. Probably intentional given his status as a villain.

1. Stand by your man, for no reason.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    Worst in GoldenEye :

5. Cyclists exagerated still funny fall meanwhile the chase.

4. Nataliya scream and fear while the explode of Severnaya, when she dodges the falling screens (useless suspense) ; -but it can show how a disaster it was, keeping it realistic.

3. Caroline's screams during the chase between the Aston Martin and the Ferrari

2. Plane scene in PTS -during the escape from Arkhangelsk (useless suspense and unrealistic)

1. "Stand by your man" song (who strangles the cat)
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    5) Bond free falling to catch the plane - I can remember very clearly this old man in the theater shouting, "Yeah right!" during this sequence.

4) American silence is golden - The Americans have been there all along and were just waiting to see how Bond handled things. "Yeah right" indeed.

3) Wade shows Bond his "rose" - This made me way more uncomfortable then the Xenia scene.

2) Bond kills Xenia - I withstood the nonsense of Xenia's thighs throughout the whole movie but this was the straw that broke the camel's back.

1) Forever frozen - A poor man's T2 ending for this character.
    Oh I forgot one. Extremely bad sound effects when Bond shoots down the helicopter in the jungle, and when the pen explodes in the control room.
    1. The psychologist in the car at the beginning of the movie. :-S
    2. Wade's marine corps at the end of the movie, made 007's actions a bit redundant if they had done their job.
    3. STrong dislike towards the BMW car.
    4. Very recognisable re-use of traintunnel set from Octopussy.
    5. 007 hanging upside down in a toilet when the action begins, a bit sh&tty after the great jump from the dam.
  • ^ Please tell me the pun was intentional.
    #1 The Xenia Onatopp character

#2 Brosnan's Bonds 'proper' introduction in the toilet cubicle

#3 The Jack Wade character or return of Joe Don Baker

#4 Ridiculous salvage of plane from nosedive in the pre titles sequence

#5 Izabella Scorupco's often irritating character
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    LIST 1: The 007 most intelligent Bond girls
    LIST 2: Your 007 favourite OT sequences by Maurice Binder
    LIST 3: Your 007 most annoying moments in a Bond film
    LIST 4: Rank the Aston Martin cars from the Bonds
    LIST 5: 007's 007 coolest moments
    LIST 6: Rank the non-Barry/Arnold scores
    LIST 7: Your 007 most sexy moments in the Bonds
    LIST 8: The 6 best moments of Bond in London
    LIST 9: The 007 best uses of the Bond Theme
    LIST 10: The 5 worst faces made by the Bonds
    LIST 11: Your top 10 PTS
    LIST 12: The 6 best scenes in OHMSS
    LIST 13: David Arnold's 6 finest moments in the Bonds
    LIST 14: The five nicest folks who ever played a part in a Bond film.
    LIST 15: Ranking the Glen directed Bonds.
    LIST 16: Rank the Blofelds (including NSNA and FYEO)
    LIST 17-52: The 5 worst moments in DN - The 5 worst moments in GE.[size]

<font color=orange size=5><b>LIST 53</b></font>

<font color=green size=6> <b>The 5 best moments in GE.</b></font>
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    5 - I had to ventilate someone. Wow. :o This girl means business.

4 - The opening titles. To this day, it's my favourite Kleinman work.

3 - Bond shooting himself a way out of the prison cell. Rather violent scene this one.

2 - Dropping Alec from the antenna.

1 - The Bond - M conversation. Absolutely wonderful!
    1. Daniel Kleinman's revamped Gunbarrel and Title Sequence.

2. The bungee jump off the dam. 'Nuff said.

3. The moment the tank crashes through the wall to the triumphant sound of the Bond theme. Bond was most certainly back!

4. Judi Dench. Started as she meant to carry on over the next 17 years. Her dressing down of Bond is great.

5. Bond and Trevelyan come face to face in the statue park. Fleming would be proud.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited August 2013 Posts: 16,330
    5. The Pre Title Sequence.

4. Battle in the Archives.

3. Battle at Janus's Cuban Complex/ Ending Battle. (Also gotta love that nonchalant tilt of Bond's head when he's arming mines and being shot at. )

2. The fist fight on the Cradle. Best brawl since Bond vs Grant.

1. The Tank Chase. One of the best Bond action set pieces of all time.
    5. Xenia's shooting spree at Severnaya

4. M cutting Bond short - "I prefer Bourbon!"

3. The bungee jump at the beginning..

2. Bond and Natalya getting shot down while flying over the Cuban jungle

1. Bond and Trevalyan's fight at the end..
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited August 2013 Posts: 7,314
    5) You were supposed to die for me - Bond discovering Alec's betrayal was both memorable and haunting. I love the imagery and the darkness of this scene.

4) No discipline, 007 - The Bond and Xenia car chase is kind of a fascinating "what if" Connery's Bond had decided not to discipline himself in GF. Anyway, great scene and I love the playful banter between the characters.

3) Meet the new boss - Dench hit it out of the park in her first at bat. A stroke of genius adding her to the cast. The scene in her office is unforgettable.

2) The tank chase sequence - Perhaps went a little too far in a couple of places but overall just a fantastic time to be had.

1) Spy vs. Spy - The ending fight between Bond and Trevelyan was not only physically impressive but emotionally engaging as well because of the history between the two. One of the best fight scenes in the entire series.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    edited September 2013 Posts: 523
    5) The PTS plus the song and Kleinman's job (TS)

4) Xenia Onatopp and Ourumov characters

3) Dialogues with new M and Q scene

2) The tank chase ! So epic !

1) 007 (Pierce Brosnan's perf) vs ex-006 (Sean Bean's perf) : " No...for me !"
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2013 Posts: 12,459
    I do love Goldeneye; this won't be easy. :)

5 - Jack Wade in general; I could have done without this buffoon
    4 - the theme song; I just don't like it much
    3 - the insipid and rather too silly/obvious tone of the first part, the ride with the female "evaluator" from MI6 (well played by the actress, but I find this part too much of a true bimbo, annoying)
    2 - the bike riders' bikes all falling like dominoes in the same scene (now that could have been in any Moore film; maybe I was ready for things to be a little different from that ...)
    1 - the rest of the soundtrack ... quite lacking for me in feeling, lack of Bond theme!!!!!, lack of theme song in it, lack of bringing some punch or emphasis in scenes, lack of melody, lack of pretty darn near everything I like in a Bond soundtrack. :-& (I LOVED Goldeneye, yet I still remember clearly being disappointed in the whole soundtrack, even as I was dicussing the movie with friends right afterwards.)
    I do love Goldeneye; this won't be easy. :)

5 - Jack Wade in general; I could have done without this buffoon
    4 - the theme song; I just don't like it much
    3 - the insipid and rather too silly/obvious tone of the first part, the ride with the female "evaluator" from MI6 (well played by the actress, but I find this part too much of a true bimbo, annoying)
    2 - the bike riders' bikes all falling like dominoes in the same scene (now that could have been in any Moore film; maybe I was ready for things to be a little different from that ...)
    1 - the rest of the soundtrack ... quite lacking for me in feeling, lack of Bond theme!!!!!, lack of theme song in it, lack of bringing some punch or emphasis in scenes, lack of melody, lack of pretty darn near everything I like in a Bond soundtrack. :-& (I LOVED Goldeneye, yet I still remember clearly being disappointed in the whole soundtrack, even as I was dicussing the movie with friends right afterwards.)

It's supposed to be the five BEST moments.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I didn't catch that because I came back to the thread late and didn't read the latest page. I thought we were on the worst still. Oops!

Here are the five BEST moments:

5) The PTS and titles - all superb!
    4) Sean Bean - a memorable and believable villain, especially the graveyard and final fight on the satellite dish, but then he is Sean Bean so for me, memorable throughout
    3) Xenia - a really great and OTT female henchwoman, superbly played by Famke
    2) Judi Dench's M and the whole first meeting with Bond; just really shone!
    1) Pierce Brosnan! A wonderful performance, a new Bond, and he stepped up to the plate. I feel that he did even better in TND, but here in Goldeneye he is my top choice, for sure. After all if Bond wasn't good, the film would not have been great. He was and it was. A lovely, memorable start as Bond.

Strong Honorable Mention: the story of Goldeneye. Thank you, Michael France, RIP. I do not know how much of the story they kept in the screenplay; but I love Goldeneye, I think it is well written, and Michael was from my hometown in Florida, so I am also a bit nostalgic regarding his fine contribution.

• 5. Title song & sequence
    4. Pretitle scene, especially the bungee jump
    3. Tank chase!
    2. Bond and M scene. Quite possibly the best in the series.
    1. Fight atop the antenna

Gotta love GoldenEye.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'll chime in on the previous list, as well:

List 52: Five Worst Moments of GE

1.) Caroline.
    2.) Introducing the BMW, and then Bond merely drives it through Cuba and that's it.
    3.) The marines in the end.
    4.) Boris' death. It's so cheesy.
    5.) The confusion that plays in with the location of the facility. It's just so backwards, I can never understand it. Also - merely a plot hole - the fact that the runway is entirely evacuated once the facility explodes, as if Ourumov and his men never existed.

List 53: Five Best Moments of GE

1.) The PTS/that beautiful dam jump.
    2.) The finale.
    3.) The battle in the archives, and the subsequent tank chase.
    4.) Xenia and Natalya. I love these ladies.
    5.) The banter between Bond and Q.

The latter list is just off the top of my head. If you know me, you know there really isn't much I hate about the film, and I love nearly every second of it.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,933
    GoldenFive:

1. The PTS- mainly the bungee jump and bottling room scenes, although Bond on the Cagiva is cool.
    2. The scenes at Statue Park. Great interaction, excellent eerie environment, too.
    3. The tank chase, including Trevelyan's converted missile train.
    4. Bond watching Boris twirl the grenade pen in his fingertips. Great tension here.
    5. 007 vs. 006. A fair match, but you know there can only be one winner.

Honourable mentions:

Natalya tastes likes strawberries? Tell me something I don't know. ;)

Q's healthy food choices (see my avatar)

Sean 'Walking Spoiler' Bean. He may have missed out on the Bond role, but he more than makes up for it as Alec. And even though it's the law that Bean's characters must die, I'm glad this one sticks around to the very end.
    Worst of GE
    5. The mystery of 006 getting shot
    4. Bond speaking French. I didn't sound natural in Brosnan's Bond
    3. Bond looks up and waits until Xenia hits him (why?)
    2. The confusing geography at the PTS
    1. Jumping to catch the plane

Best of GE
    5. Counting the clicks for the exploiding pen
    4. Bond talking with Zuckovsky "I've heard the new M is a lady!"
    3. The hot tub scene "That depends on your definition of safe sex"
    2. Bond at Q branch
    1. Bond meeting Xenia at Monte Carlo

Honorable mention:
    Bond and M's "sexist, misogynist dinosaur" dialogue

This one has too many great moments...
    Right, well, I'm back after a day and a bit. I think perhaps I just need to cool off after all the spam and trolls. Nonetheless, apologies for walking out like I did.

Anyway, the five best moments in GoldenEye? Tough one, this film is made out of great scenes.

5 - The whole supporting cast. GoldenEye probably has the best cast of any Bond film ever, with Dench, Bond, Bean, Cumming, Scorupco, Janssen, John, Kitchen, and Coltrane all giving extremely memorable performances and ones I always enjoy returning to. "Do you have any idea how long the winter lasts in this country? TELL HIM DIMITIRI!" "W-well it depends-" "SILENCE!" Brilliant stuff.
    4 - The showdown on the Cradle. I love the bit of score that accompanies this fight, the piece can also be heard in the Archives shootout. Not to mention the fight scene in the ladder room. As someone said before, this is easily the best brawl in the series up to this point.
    3 - The scenes at MI6. One of my favourite Moneypenny scenes, perhaps the best M scene in the entire series, and Tanner is played just so brilliantly by Kitchen. "Good. Because if I wanted sarcasm, I'd speak to my children." Dench doesn't miss a beat.
    2 - The statue park and archives shootout. Amazing back-to-back scenes, from Bond discovering Alec as the traitor to the interrogation scene, to Bond's escape through the window.
    1- The PTS. Lovely, perfect, brilliant in every way. Everything that needed to be said, has already been said.

Honourable Mentions:

The control room sequence.
    The tank chase.
    The train sequence.
    #1 The pre titles sequence. The plane dive escape is absurd, but that aside, it's one of the very best (openings) the franchise has to offer

#2 The meeting with Janus. "Closing time James - last call" etc

#3 The discussion on the Soviet missile train with Bond / Simonova / Trevelyan / Ourumov

#4 When Simonova attacks Grishenko at the Cuban center and Trevelyan smiles

#5 The meeting with Valentin Zukovsky. "Very talented singer" etc