The thread of Bond lists - LIST 157 - Evaluate the FRWL Opening Titles. (see criteria)

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    LIST 1: The 007 most intelligent Bond girls
    LIST 2: Your 007 favourite OT sequences by Maurice Binder
    LIST 3: Your 007 most annoying moments in a Bond film
    LIST 4: Rank the Aston Martin cars from the Bonds
    LIST 5: 007's 007 coolest moments
    LIST 6: Rank the non-Barry/Arnold scores
    LIST 7: Your 007 most sexy moments in the Bonds
    LIST 8: The 6 best moments of Bond in London
    LIST 9: The 007 best uses of the Bond Theme
    LIST 10: The 5 worst faces made by the Bonds
    LIST 11: Your top 10 PTS
    LIST 12: The 6 best scenes in OHMSS
    LIST 13: David Arnold's 6 finest moments in the Bonds
    LIST 14: The five nicest folks who ever played a part in a Bond film.
    LIST 15: Ranking the Glen directed Bonds.
    LIST 16: Rank the Blofelds (including NSNA and FYEO)
    LIST 17-53: The 5 worst moments in DN - The 5 best moments in GE.[size]

<font color=orange size=5><b>LIST 54</b></font>

<font color=green size=6> <b>The 5 worst moments in TND.</b></font>
    5 - I hate the drill. Far too cartoonish for a Bond film.

4 - Carver's mock kung-fu was downright embarrassing.

3 - Bond shooting up the stealth boat like a mad Rambo.

2 - You forgot the number one rule of mass media! GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT! Ugh.

1 - Why does Bond upset Carver at the party? Shouldn't he keep below radar and then go sneaking around?
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 6,396
    1. The theme song. Why oh why did the bright people at MGM/UA or EON or whoever the hell it was choose that bloody awful Sheryl Crow offering over the vastly superior Arnold/Lang's 'Surrender'?

2. Teri Hatcher. The poor casting of leading ladies in the Brosnan era started here. Alas, they did not end here (wait till we get to TWINE and DAD).

3. The climax on the stealth boat. I do not want to see Bond going all "John Woo" on us with twin guns. Plus the direction and editing are truly hideous.

4. The use of Americanisms in the dialogue: "Time for a station break", "My cellphone unlocks the door" etc.

5. The sequence in which Bond throws the washing line into the tail rotor of the helicopter only for it to take an eternity to make the chopper crash. The special effects (and I use this term loosely) are awful. It is so clearly a miniature with a dummy inside.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    1. Sheryl Crow's horrid song. Should have made it Surrender instead.

2. Teri Hatcher. Terrible Bond Girl.

3. The old henchmen beating up on Brosnan. Come on. Moore's not Bond anymore, the henchmen don't need to be old anymore.

4. Ricky Jay not being used enough! I wanted to see him use his card tricks of doom.

5. Carver wearing a Black Blofeld suit. (Not original enough guys?)
    1: Title song. Should have been Surrender.
    2: I have some breaking news for you, Elliot!
    3: Teri Hatcher
    4: The whole fight in the soundproof room.
    5: The fan line.

I still love this movie, though!
    TheBondFan wrote:
    1: Title song. Should have been Surrender.
    2: I have some breaking news for you, Elliot!
    3: Teri Hatcher
    4: The whole fight in the soundproof room.
    5: The fan line.

I still love this movie, though!

I rather like that scene, @TheBondFan. It starts with that cool line, "this is a soundproof room, mister Bond..." and I think Brosnan performs rather well in the fight. I also love how they got on his nerves enough to where he just stops caring, pulls the plug on Carver's show and returns to his hotel room for a much deserved drink. :D

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Oh I like the fight in the soundproof room, too.

OK, and this is my fav Brosnan film ... 5 worst
    TND

5) Gunning people down like crazy at the end on the stealth boat (this is Bond, not Rambo for Fleming's sake)
    4) A stealth boat (yawn)
    3) The rather awful theme song by Crow; annoying and cloying
    2) Terri Hatcher as Paris (not believable-should have had a really great Bond girl here)
    1) Elliott's kung fu antics and overall attitude (I try just to laugh at him, but he is annoying and disappointing as a villain for me)
    1) Terri hatcher as Paris (Monica Bellucci would have been a far better choice)
    2) Sherryl Crows' song id easily one of the worst titletracks of the series.
    3) Wade again and once more not funny but wasted time
    4) That Chinese shop with wall to wall hidden technology
    5) how easily do they enter the stealthboat, what a lousy defenses
    Teri Hatcher and Sheryl Crow getting a bashing so far. And deservedly so! :-)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Oooh yes, Jack Wade. Not one of my favorite characters.
    Teri Hatcher, Carver's kung fu, every frame of the movie featuring Stamper in it, Bond throws a cello at a guy in the soundproof room, and Jack Wade returns with what is easily the worst performance ever of a recurring actor in the series. Honestly, why is he even in this film? So unnecessary. That's my top five, and I hate the film so much I didn't even bother to put it into list format. I could make a top fifty for the worst of TND. I can't believe I watched it so often as a kid.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    5) The missile from the rocket launcher goes through the windshield and back window of Bond's car only to hit and explode the car behind it. 8-|

4) The Chinese version of Q's workshop - Wai Lin's little shop of gadgets complete with a full arsenal was pretty tacky.

3) We have no interest in World War 3 unless we start it - As an American, I find Jack Wade to be offensive. We don't all think like this you know.

2) The shootout in the stealth boat - It goes on for far too long and it looks like any other generic action movie.

1) The lack of Chinese characters besides Wai Lin - The story does a poor job of telling us the Chinese side of things. Why don't we see Wai Lin's superiors? What are they thinking and what are they doing about the information that Wai Lin has given them about Carver being behind it all? Also, they show us General Chang for two seconds in the hallway and that's it! They keep mentioning him throughout the rest of the film and apparently he has played a major role in helping Carver. It just makes things very confusing to the viewer.
    #1 An actor the caliber of Johnathan Pryce, in a poor character role, that was one of the biggest disappointents, at least for main James Bond adversaries - and he wants to start a world war simply to increase his media ratings..

#2 The last twenty minutes / half hour, on the Stealth boat. Just goes on far too long and it's easy to lose concentration or get bored quickly. In fact, as soon as Bond leaves Europe for Asia, it's downhill all the way

#3 Carver getting killed by the drill at the end. Just appeared absurd

#4 Stamper being yet another clone of Donald Grant from From Russia With Love

#5 The "pump her for information" quote in the car ride with M / Moneypenny, and if allowed, the awful scene with Bond and the Danish student in bed. "How do you say, I'm not here in Danish" Just seemed stupid looking back now

I had to add, when Wai Lin and Bond jump from the Carver building in Saigon, shackled together, down the giant Carver poster, and culminates in Bond saying "Next time I'll take the elevator". Embarrassing
    #1 An actor the caliber of Johnathan Pryce, in a poor character role, that was one of the biggest disappointents, at least for main James Bond adversaries - and he wants to start a world war simply to increase his media ratings..

#2 The last twenty minutes / half hour, on the Stealth boat. Just goes on far too long and it's easy to lose concentration or get bored quickly. In fact, as soon as Bond leaves Europe for Asia, it's downhill all the way

#3 Carver getting killed by the drill at the end. Just appeared absurd

#4 Stamper being yet another clone of Donald Grant from From Russia With Love

#5 The "pump her for information" quote in the car ride with M / Moneypenny, and if allowed, the awful scene with Bond and the Danish student in bed. "How do you say, I'm not here in Danish" Just seemed stupid looking back now

I had to add, when Wai Lin and Bond jump from the Carver building in Saigon, shackled together, down the giant Carver poster, and culminates in Bond saying "Next time I'll take the elevator". Embarrassing

The editing in this scene is also horrendous.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 418
    5 - The stealth boat shoot out at the end..

4 - The fight in the soundproof room..

3 - Carver's mock kung-fu. I like Jonathan Pryce as an actor, and he's done some really good films, but he very much plays his role of Carver as 'the pantomime villain' here - and its a tad too OTT for me..

2 - Teri Hatcher. I'm not sure if her part as Paris was changed when she found out that she was pregnant or not, but she wasnt very good in what screen time she had, and in her 'Did i get too close, too close for comfort" routine, she was totally unconvincing..maybe it would have worked with a different actress with a bigger part..

1. Sheryl Crow's theme song. I dont like her mumbly voice and the song itself for me is one of the weakest and one of my least favourite Bond songs. I would have much prefered the more Bondish sounding 'Surrender'..

• 5. Pumping for information

4. Teri Hatcher as Paris

3. Wai Lin's utter lack of characterization

2. James Rambo on the stealth boat

1. The theme song
    5. "Filthy habit" Unless it's sarcasm, what a way to destroy a legendary attribute of Fleming's Bond.
    4. The drill that unexplained moves out of the water...
    3. The helicopter standing still.
    2. The stealth boat being bigger in the inside than it appears from the outside.
    1. Carver's final end. Why the hell he didn't move while the drill was approaching?
    LIST 1: The 007 most intelligent Bond girls
    LIST 2: Your 007 favourite OT sequences by Maurice Binder
    LIST 3: Your 007 most annoying moments in a Bond film
    LIST 4: Rank the Aston Martin cars from the Bonds
    LIST 5: 007's 007 coolest moments
    LIST 6: Rank the non-Barry/Arnold scores
    LIST 7: Your 007 most sexy moments in the Bonds
    LIST 8: The 6 best moments of Bond in London
    LIST 9: The 007 best uses of the Bond Theme
    LIST 10: The 5 worst faces made by the Bonds
    LIST 11: Your top 10 PTS
    LIST 12: The 6 best scenes in OHMSS
    LIST 13: David Arnold's 6 finest moments in the Bonds
    LIST 14: The five nicest folks who ever played a part in a Bond film.
    LIST 15: Ranking the Glen directed Bonds.
    LIST 16: Rank the Blofelds (including NSNA and FYEO)
    LIST 17-54: The 5 worst moments in DN - The 5 worst moments in TLD.[size]

<font color=orange size=5><b>LIST 55</b></font>

<font color=green size=6> <b>The 5 best moments in TND.</b></font>
    5 - The parking lot car chase. Brosnan's enjoying every second of it, and I like that.

4 - Drive testing the BMW with Q. "I think we've met."

3 - M's fantastic balls line.

2 - Carver's amusing 'evil' lines. "He's my new anchor man."

1 - The hotel room scene: the vodka, the gun, the girl.
    1: Garage chase
    2: Q at Avis. Actually the entire Q scene.
    3: Infiltrating Carver's building.
    4: Dr. Kauffman
    5: PTS
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    1. Bond Killing Dr. Kaufman and Carver. (Some dark and brutal moments from Brosnan very inspired by Dalton. I love it!)

2. David Arnold's Score (After the interesting Experimental music Serra provided us EON went back to basics and hired the greatest Bond composer since John Barry.)

3. The Car Park chase. Excellent driving scene.

4. The Fight at Carver's Newspaper in Hamburg.

5. Pre-Title Sequence.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    5) Bond enjoying a bit of vodka while waiting for his "guest".

4) The Halo Jump.

3) Bond smashing the glass over the head of Carver's man and then proceeds to shut the power down on his big speech. I love all of Brosnan's facial expressions during this scene.

2) Parking Garage Chase - It may go a little too far in some spots but overall just a great sequence.

1) Killing Dr. Kaufman - Brosnan's finest moment as Bond.
    5. Q taking the car's insurance
    4. Bond at Oxford
    3. M's moving briefing
    2. Waiting with Walther and Smirnoff
    1. Bond vs. Dr Kaufman "I could shoot you from Stuttgart and still create the proper effect"
  • 5. Carver's kung-fu antics

4. parking garage chase

3. PTS

2. Hotel scene I-waiting for Paris

1. Hotel scene II-Doctor Kaufman
    #1 The pre titles sequence at the Russian arms fair. "Ask the Admiral where he'd like his bombs delivered". Probably one of the few exciting sequences of that years movie release

#2 Dr Kaufman and Bond in the Hamburg hotel room. "I could shoot you from Stuttgart and still create the desired effect". RIP to the late Vincent Schiavelli

#3 The fight with Bond and the Carver heavies at the Hamburg media conference

#4 Sheryl Crow theme intro. Could well deserve to be placed a number or two higher

#5 The awful Jack Wade character, thankfully only given a few minutes this time, to menace the screen once again
    1. M putting Admiral Roebuck in his place.

2. Bond kills Dr Kaufman.

3. David Arnold's score and especially his collaboration with The Propellerheads for "Backseat Driver".

4. The chase in the car park (except for the guy with the rocket launcher, who when he takes aim, has the most mincing stance you'll ever see).

5. Q's cover as the Avis care rental dealer. Funniest scenes in the film.
    The garage chase and the pleasure on Brosnans face

Dr Kaufman vs 007

The scene in the soundproof booth were 007 gets a workout

the roofchase while handcuffed on a motorcycle (fun and original Bondfranchise worthy)

The PTS
  • 1. Bond awaiting a visitor to his hotel suite. As previously mentioned by @DarthDimi, "the vodka, the gun, the girl" = Bond perfection.

2. Everything Elliott Carver. Jonathan Pryce hams it up beautifully as the media mogul and he's having fun with it. "Delicious"

3. The PTS

4. The bike jump over the chopper

5. Dr Kaufman vs Bond leading into the parking garage chase (technically two, but I'm amalgamating the entire sequence!)
    1. Q laughing when he says his "and the rest of him" line...

2. The Pre title sequence

3. M's reply to Admiral Roebuck when he tells her that she doesnt have the balls for the job..

4. The car park chase..

5. Bond's scenes with Dr Kaufman
    Zorin61 wrote:
    1. Q laughing when he says his "and the rest of him" line...

Isn't that from GE? :)