Who will become the Bond heir after Broccoli and Wilson leave?

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited April 2016 Posts: 9,020
    @DarthDimi @Benny @Creasy47 @NicNac @themodsingeneral

Not wanting to be nitpicking, but can the title be corrected?
    After all Barbara's name is Broccoli and not Brocolli :)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2016 Posts: 9,117
    @DarthDimi @Benny @Creasy47 @NicNac @themodsingeneral

Not wanting to be nitpicking, but can the title be corrected?
    After all Barbara's name is Broccoli and not Brocolli :)

Good point. And while we're at it can we correct the baffling 'who will pick up the Bond heir' to something that makes sense like 'who will become the Bond heir'.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Regarding the SF liberties, including mansion/damaged orphan emphasis etc., I can't help but wonder how much of an influence Wayne has had. The Bat certainly seems to have impressed/influenced Mendes, with Kincaide standing in for Alfred etc. They even added that bit about Bond hiding in the tunnel after his parents died and not coming out for days (shades of Wayne down the well).

Regarding the SP scenario with jealous/vengeful Franz, I don't know what motivated this Kane and Abel like detour, except perhaps the fact that it's been a well used trope throughout movie history, including in Winter Soldier (past friends now enemies), Dallas (Bobbie/JR) etc. etc.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited April 2016 Posts: 15,423
    I don't know why would a child ever want to lock himself in a tunnel for three days just because his parents died. That bit, to this day, I still don't understand. When I first have seen Skyfall, I thought they altered the death of Bond's parents from a climbing accident to an ambushed gundown at the Skyfall lodge, so a young Bond was hidden from the enemy. At least, that's what I understood despite no such fact taking existence. And yet in Spectre, Bond still claims his parents died in a climbing accident.
    I don't know why would a child ever want to lock himself in a tunnel for three days just because his parents died. That bit, to this day, I still don't understand. When I first have seen Skyfall, I thought they altered the death of Bond's parents from a climbing accident to an ambushed gundown at the Skyfall lodge, so a young Bond was hidden from the enemy. At least, that's what I understood despite no such fact taking existence. And yet in Spectre, Bond still claims his parents died in a climbing accident.

Kincaide says in Skyfall that Bond went down the tunnel after hearing the news of his parents' deaths from him - was a child when he went in and was an adult when coming out.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2016 Posts: 9,117
    tanaka123 wrote: »

Kincaide says in Skyfall that Bond went down the tunnel after hearing the news of his parents' deaths from him - was a child when he went in and was an adult when coming out.

So therefore, given his parents died when he was 12 and the age at which you are regarded to be an adult is 18, are we to infer he stayed down there 6 years?

Sounds a credible theory given there's nothing to contradict it.

What do you say @Mendes4lyfe?

I call it the 'Kincaide used to leave pot noodles and packets of hob nobs outside the tunnel door' theory.

I know he says that. But, that still doesn't answer my question.

So therefore, given his parents died when he was 12 and the age at which you are regarded to be an adult is 18, are we to infer he stayed down there 6 years?

Sounds a credible theory given there's nothing to contradict it.

What do you say @Mendes4lyfe?

I call it the 'Kincaide used to leave pot noodles and packets of hob nobs outside the tunnel door' theory.

I think he didn't mean it literally.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Bond will be around as long as Star Trek or Star Wars will be, in other words, as long as movies will get made.
    I consider it one of three indestructible franchises. (outside the superheroes)

As for BB's successor, it doesn't really matter which company will own the James Bond franchise, it's more a question of the person/people in charge, who will be the creative force behind Bond in 20 years?

Warner/DC is really trying to destroy the Superman and Batman franchise, but even a creative failure like MoS and BvS still makes money. The show will go on.

It's entirely possible, a James Bond movie will one day end up doing considerably less than its predecessor, but that would never put the franchise in jeopardy.
    Up to now, not one JB movie failed at the BO. The last 8 movies were even huge successes and critically liked or even celebrated.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's entirely possible, a James Bond movie will one day end up doing considerably less than its predecessor

You mean just like the SF to SP jump? Both had great returns, with SP making a few hundred million less than SF.

• edited April 2016 Posts: 3,333
    bondjames wrote: »
    Regarding the SF liberties, including mansion/damaged orphan emphasis etc., I can't help but wonder how much of an influence Wayne has had. The Bat certainly seems to have impressed/influenced Mendes, with Kincaide standing in for Alfred etc. They even added that bit about Bond hiding in the tunnel after his parents died and not coming out for days (shades of Wayne down the well).

Regarding the SP scenario with jealous/vengeful Franz, I don't know what motivated this Kane and Abel like detour, except perhaps the fact that it's been a well used trope throughout movie history, including in Winter Soldier (past friends now enemies), Dallas (Bobbie/JR) etc. etc.

Yes, I agree. I remember pointing out the similarity just after the release of SF on here and was shot down by a certain clique that insisted James Bond did not have a Batcave nor did he have a butler called Alfred in SF, so I was wrong to draw any comparisons to Nolan's Dark Knight. Yes, I know. How can you reason with that kind of logic?

I'll admit that I enjoyed SP far more than I did SF, but I do still feel that the Blofeld via Hannes Oberhauser childhood connection was an unnecessary one, especially as I felt it was a repeat gimmick of Benedict Cumberbatch's Harrison revealing his true identity as Khan in Star Trek Into Darkness. I do feel that Eon should be above these current movie trends and create their own. I just hope they don't start drawing their ideas from these dreadful YA sci-fi movies currently doing the rounds. If they do, then we're all in trouble.

PS. @BondJasonBond006, I think it's easy to forget that Star Trek was originally in a 10 year hiatus between the end of the original TV show and first movie, and that it almost didn't happen at all.
  • //but even a creative failure like MoS and BvS still makes money. The show will go on.
    //

The way things are shaping up, BvS is losing money on it theatrical run because it was so expensive to make and market. The show is going on, i.e. The Justice League, but this isn't what Warners was expecting.
    Going back a few pages Brosnan was referred to as Commander Bond in Die Another Day when he receives the key to the abandoned underground station from M.
    Gregg Wilson is already starting to posistion himself much like Michael did in the 80's I wonder if he has his fathers knack for writing... I would be fine with a Wilson/Butterworth set of scripts (similar to Wilson and Mailbaum)
    To be honest, I haven't seen anything in Butterworth's talents or at least his colours weren't visible in the efforts he put himself through. So, I don't know why should they keep him... The leaked scripts for Spectre didn't have his name on it, yet the final film was pretty much the same, except for the torture scene, which I figure was his addition (?). Anyways, the Skyfall team did what they had to do, and it's time to come up with a full new crew. Talent. Not a friend of a friend of the producers.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Gregg Wilson is already starting to posistion himself much like Michael did in the 80's I wonder if he has his fathers knack for writing... I would be fine with a Wilson/Butterworth set of scripts (similar to Wilson and Mailbaum)

Wow, that sounds amazing, actually.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Fascinating to think Bond will be passed on to a third generation of producers ! =D>
  • RC7RC7
    I wouldn't get carried away. Gregg conducts himself a very 'different' manner to his father.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Isn't it the same that MGW and BB are very different from Cubby? I mean, that's natural, isn't it?
  • RC7RC7
    Isn't it the same that MGW and BB are very different from Cubby? I mean, that's natural, isn't it?

Not quite what I mean.
    RC7 wrote: »

Not quite what I mean.
    I know what you meant, actually. And I have doubts about it.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited May 2016 Posts: 1,689
    I'm not sure who I'd want to take over for BB and MGW. But I do think things have been a bit weird for a while. I love all four Craig films (they're all in my top ten), but taken together, it's a weird era. They reboot with CR, then decided to reboot a bit longer with QOS, then have a movie about Bond suddenly being too old, and then set up what should be a little Blofeld trilogy, but at a time when the future of the actor is in question. There seems to be a bit of vision lacking.

And furthermore, hearing that they considered killing Blofeld in Spectre, and that Skyfall didn't have a gun barrel sequence just because Sam Mendes thought it would clash with his opening shot...I feel the directors have taken a mite too much control in a series that has been more producer's films. Can you imagine John Glen telling Cubby he's gonna drop the gun barrel from The Living Daylights because he has a great helicopter shot over Gibraltar? No way.

But that said, again, I've loved the movies of the Craig era, so I'm not down about the current situation at all. But we may be seeing the current producer team cool a bit on their control of Bond already.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    I'm not sure who I'd want to take over for BB and MGW. But I do think things have been a bit weird for a while. I love all four Craig films (they're all in my top ten), but taken together, it's a weird era. They reboot with CR, then decided to reboot a bit longer with QOS, then have a movie about Bond suddenly being too old, and then set up what should be a little Blofeld trilogy, but at a time when the future of the actor is in question. There seems to be a bit of vision lacking.

And furthermore, hearing that they considered Blofeld in Spectre, and that Skyfall didn't have a gun barrel sequence just because Sam Mendes thought it would clash with his opening shot...I feel the directors have taken a mite too much control in a series that has been more producer's films. Can you imagine John Glen telling Cubby he's gonna drop the gun barrel from The Living Daylights because he has a great helicopter shot over Gibraltar? No way.

But that said, again, I've loved the movies of the Craig era, so I'm not down about the current situation at all. But we may be seeing the current producer team cool a bit on their control of Bond already.

This is a most astute post. Welcome, ProfJoeButcher!

I'm not sure exactly *why* QoS had to be a direct sequel. CR was a complete evolution of the character. Sure, there was a bit of ambiguity about Vesper's motives but I'd rather have ambiguity than the eventual world-creation overkill that burdened SP.

Part of the problem is that MGW and BB gave Craig a lot of power in hiring Mendes, and they didn't bring him in line regarding the character development (it was too early for Bond to be "old"), the reintroduction of Moneypenny (unnecessary and aping Bond's final scene in CR), the lack of the gunbarrel and Bond theme (copying CR? But why?), and the fixation on LALD which led to the weird shifting tone of SP.

They really need to focus on the novels and the script again, like they did with Haggis not long ago. Bring back Haggis, I say.
    And yet, @echo, it was Haggis that originally wanted to have the story of QOS revolve around Vesper having a kid with Bond tracking down the little orphan. Fortunately Eon didn't like the idea. But I agree, good comments from @ProfJoeButcher.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux

Don't be obtuse.

ProfJoeButcher is on point and I agree with him. I've loved what Mendes has added to the lore but it's time for fresh blood. There comes a time where auteur aspirations conflict with what people (including me) love about this series and how wanting to shake up the system becomes complacency in a way in trying to copy what other successful franchises/studios have done. If Mendes just wants to be personal all the time, he can do so with his own projects. I'll tell ya, it's an interesting time to be Bond fan at the moment which is why I'm interested in what the future holds.
  • tqbtqb
    If anyone here knows how I could be groomed for their producing position, please let me know! thanks
    I think the next one is going to delve even further into Bonds past, maybe perhaps during his training.
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    I think the next one is going to delve even further into Bonds past, maybe perhaps during his training.

During his conception. The adventures of Ma and Pa Bond.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Chica bow wow
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I would think that nothing Mendes or any scriptwriter wants would ever be put on screen without Babs and Michael giving it a thumbs up. Period. The buck stops with them--and thus, the blame starts with them on anything you might not like.