Who will become the Bond heir after Broccoli and Wilson leave?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I have a feeling that Commander Bond is one of the aspects of 007 that's been long gone since the reboot, with no plans on returning.
    bondsum wrote: »
    I have no actual idea of the exact number, without watching the entire series from beginning to end, but it's quite frequent. The times he's seen in a Royal Navy uniform, I can think of YOLT (Connery), TSWLM (Moore) and TND (Brosnan).

Though, I now think we've wandered off topic, when my initial point was BB had taken certain liberties with Fleming's template.

What liberties has BB taken?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I have a feeling that Commander Bond is one of the aspects of 007 that's been long gone since the reboot, with no plans on returning.
    Hasn't it been present, or at least touched on since 06?

Skyfall was released after 2006
    jake24 wrote: »
    Hasn't it been present, or at least touched on since 06?

Yes, in Skyfall which came out in 2012
    Not the underhanded, subtle way they do it in SF. Has he been referred to as Commander Bond or seen in his naval uniform from CR on, sans the obituary moment in SF?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Not the underhanded, subtle way they do it in SF. Has he been referred to as Commander Bond or seen in his naval uniform from CR on, sans the obituary moment in SF?

No, never, sadly.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Only in the video game Blood Stone that was released in 2010. Does that count?
    I'm talking about the Craig era, so in all of his films thus far, he has been acknowledged as 'Commander' via computer and that was it.

To be fair he's only been in naval uniform in 3/24 films and has been referred to as 'Commander' in a handful of films.
    tanaka123 wrote: »

To be fair he's only been in naval uniform in 3/24 films and has been referred to as 'Commander' in a handful of films.

You sure?

Moore and Brosnan at least once each.
    Connery I think more than once.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Yea, I think only Laz and Craig didn't suit up. They also didn't wear any scuba gear.

Must prefer a "dry death".
    I don't ever remember Dalton in Naval gear either.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 4,116
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I don't ever remember Dalton in Naval gear either.

Ooops you're right. Sorry Mr. Dalton.

Dalton did wear scuba though.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE, THE SPY WHO LOVED ME and TOMORROW NEVER DIES. That's it. More than just the uniform, it hasn't been since 1977 that we've seen 007 acting as a military commander, i.e.' commanding troops in battle. Actually that was the only time. In the novel THUNDERBALL he served that role, but not in the film, the underwater assault team seems to work independent of Bond in that instance.

Isn't that funny. I could have sworn I've seen Bond more in that naval uniform.
    A shame that neither Dalton nor Craig ever wore it. It sure would have looked good on them!
    I'm talking about the Craig era, so in all of his films thus far, he has been acknowledged as 'Commander' via computer and that was it.
    But, Blood Stone is Craig era, Creasy. Just not a film. That's all. He was referred to as "Commander Bond" by Colonel Ping.
    Connery, Dalton, and Craig (to date) never skied.

Almost every other Bond actor.

Connery, Moore, Dalton (I think.), Bronson, and Craig have all piloted a speedboat.
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    People seem to automatically think that the series will carry on with the next generation of family. Maybe the family won't want to carry it on and could decide to sell Bond to the highest bidder. Or BB could lose interest in producing Bond and just call time on the series. Cubby had a passion for Bond until his dying day but I just don't see that same passion in Babs.
    Certainly not the ambition to carry on like Cubby had. In 27 years he produced 16 films. In 21 years she produced 8.

ToTheRight wrote: »
    People seem to automatically think that the series will carry on with the next generation of family. Maybe the family won't want to carry it on and could decide to sell Bond to the highest bidder. Or BB could lose interest in producing Bond and just call time on the series. Cubby had a passion for Bond until his dying day but I just don't see that same passion in Babs.
    Certainly not the ambition to carry on like Cubby had. In 27 years he produced 16 films. In 21 years she produced 8.

Yes, but factor in longer production schedules and delays between some films too. BB and MGW deserve credit for what they've done.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited April 2016 Posts: 10,588

But that was very different. The landscape of the film industry has changed significantly since then.

Yes, but factor in longer production schedules and delays between some films too. BB and MGW deserve credit for what they've done.

Absolutely. Had there not been the MGM situation post QoS we would certainly have had SF sooner. Also, they could have just called it a day then, but stuck it out. I hope Gregg carries the torch once Barbara and Micheal leave and it remains a family business.
    @ClarkDevlin, I'm not saying the games are bad, I grew up loving them and I still do, but I don't count them as part of any continuity in regards to the character or the universe.
    Not surprised, mate. They themselves are unsure whether it's part of canonicity or just a one-off unrelated stuff. All of them were. So, I see your point very well.
    I have no actual idea of the exact number, without watching the entire series from beginning to end, but it's quite frequent. The times he's seen in a Royal Navy uniform, I can think of YOLT (Connery), TSWLM (Moore) and TND (Brosnan).

Though, I now think we've wandered off topic, when my initial point was BB had taken certain liberties with Fleming's template.

What I meant to imply by taking "certain liberties" was the reimagining of Bond's past, demonstrated in SF and to a lesser degree in SP, that were not part of Fleming's background story on a young Bond and his adversaries. Such as Bond not having a family estate called Skyfall, nor a gamekeeper called Kincade, with the omission that Fleming wrote that Master Bond in fact went to live with his aunt, Miss Charmian Bond somewhere in Kent. Poor Charmian Bond was completely airbrushed out of his backstory because it didn't fit in with the "damaged orphan" shtick they were trying to tell. Not that I want to hear about Bond's childhood, mind, but if you're going to include it, why not do Fleming justice and include what he wrote? OK, not huge liberties, but liberties all the same considering none of the previous movies touched on his past.

Also, there's the childhood connection to Blofeld via Hannes Oberhauser mentioned in SP. Again, not exactly sticking to Fleming's template here are we? If we factor in Moneypenny having changed her background from Lieutenant RN to a cackhanded Field Agent who mistakingly shoots Bond out in the field, then I think it's fair to say, we've wandered off somewhat from the Fleming template. None of which was done on Cubby's watch. Only saying, like.

What I meant to imply by taking "certain liberties" was the reimagining of Bond's past, demonstrated in SF and to a lesser degree in SP, that were not part of Fleming's background story on a young Bond and his adversaries. Such as Bond not having a family estate called Skyfall, nor a gamekeeper called Kincade, with the omission that Fleming wrote that Master Bond in fact went to live with his aunt, Miss Charmian Bond somewhere in Kent. Poor Charmian Bond was completely airbrushed out of his backstory because it didn't fit in with the "damaged orphan" shtick they were trying to tell. Not that I want to hear about Bond's childhood, mind, but if you're going to include it, why not do Fleming justice and include what he wrote? OK, not huge liberties, but liberties all the same considering none of the previous movies touched on his past.

Also, there's the childhood connection to Blofeld via Hannes Oberhauser mentioned in SP. Again, not exactly sticking to Fleming's template here are we? If we factor in Moneypenny having changed her background from Lieutenant RN to a cackhanded Field Agent who mistakingly shoots Bond out in the field, then I think it's fair to say, we've wandered off somewhat from the Fleming template. None of which was done on Cubby's watch. Only saying, like.

Bond was only a foster child for a short while before going to live with his aunt is the way I took it.

The short while with Pappa Opie apparently was traumatic on the older son Hans.

That young Hans I guess could be argued followed close to Fleming's history of Blofeld ..or could follow close to Fleming's Blofeld history.

Of course the novels never featured that ...nor Madeleine.

Still no clue how they will handle Tracy.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Charmian Bond was actually mentioned as young Master Bond's guardian in Spectre. Her name is visible on the paper when Bond is checking his personal effects.
  • mcdonbb wrote: »
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I reckon a studio like Warner Bros will make EON/Danjaq an offer they can't refuse. At some point the owners of EON (the future relatives of Broccoli/Wilson) will say "this studio is offering us an insane amount of money for our 50 percent share in Bond. We'd be crazy to turn it down."

And MGM isn't much of a studio these days. Hardly makes many films. I can see MGM's share in Bond being sold to another studio.

I don't see MGM wanting to sell their half. Bond is the only thing they make money for them. Well not the only but you get the point.

Troubles me that MGM is not viable still. I don't want Bond going down with them.

MGM are in better financial shape now than they have been for years, with $252m in profits last year.

Charmian Bond was actually mentioned as young Master Bond's guardian in Spectre. Her name is visible on the paper when Bond is checking his personal effects.
    Thank you for pointing that out, @ClarkDevlin. Though this might have more to do with the props people looking at making any personal effects look authentic without having to justify their existence rather than the writers. I mean there was a safe house called 'Hildebrand' which was only there as a wink and nod to a Fleming short story, serving no other purpose to SP. What I'm getting at is these names are only used as props, nothing more.

On a side note, I was always led to believe the only reason Fleming gave Bond a history was to say sorry to Connery for doubting him as Bond in Dr No. Hence the Scottish connection. It was never intended to be used as the basis for a story, as Fleming belived it was better that Bond remain an enigma.
    Thank you for pointing that out, @ClarkDevlin. Though this might have more to do with the props people looking at making any personal effects look authentic without having to justify their existence rather than the writers. I mean there was a safe house called 'Hildebrand' which was only there as a wink and nod to a Fleming short story, serving no other purpose to SP. What I'm getting at is these names are only used as props, nothing more.

On a side note, I was always led to believe the only reason Fleming gave Bond a history was to say sorry to Connery for doubting him as Bond in Dr No. Hence the Scottish connection. It was never intended to be used as the basis for a story, as Fleming belived it was better that Bond remain an enigma.
    Trust me, mate. My thoughts are exactly the same as yours.
    Brilliant, @ClarkDevlin. That's good to know, mate. :)>-