Calling All True MI6 Members- *Evacuation Protocol*

1235»

Comments

• doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    Every member ( despite the fact that some are obvious trolls and we'd like to istaban them) gets the same treatment and goes through the same process. This is the policy that we established at the beginning of this forum and it is one of its cornerstones. There is a process and everyone enjoys the benefit of that.

Trolls are a problem, yes. But they've only got to make 3 breaches of policy and then they can be banned.
    You can help by ignoring them, informing us of those breaches and then posting as normal, without reference to the trolls or our perceived lack of action.

With this policy, very soon we will be able to get the trolling under control.

Thanks.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Sandy wrote:
    I will be ignoring and flagging (a lot, I'm sorry for the extra work mods but something's got to change).
    I think some people simply do not deserve the benefit of the doubt (i.e. is this member a troll or just plain dumb/stupid?).

Agreed. If IFM is all we have then I guess we'll have to use it ad infinitum as once again I see the same names online and being allowed to post and its been how many weeks now that we've had to put up with them?

Not a criticism of the mods by the way - they have to go through the due process of law and are probably even more frustrated than the rest of us. Those of us complaining (myself included) have the mentality of the lynch mob without needing to worry about bothersome things like evidence.

We could abandon IFM and start arguing with them but then that would bring us down to their level and they would have won.

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Sandy wrote:
    I will be ignoring and flagging (a lot, I'm sorry for the extra work mods but something's got to change).
    I think some people simply do not deserve the benefit of the doubt (i.e. is this member a troll or just plain dumb/stupid?).

Agreed. If IFM is all we have then I guess we'll have to use it ad infinitum as once again I see the same names online and being allowed to post and its been how many weeks now that we've had to put up with them?

Not a criticism of the mods by the way - they have to go through the due process of law and are probably even more frustrated than the rest of us. Those of us complaining (myself included) have the mentality of the lynch mob without needing to worry about bothersome things like evidence.

We could abandon IFM and start arguing with them but then that would bring us down to their level and they would have won.

Damn, you just made me realise I lost the opportunity of a lifetime to sign something with "Yours truly, Angry Mob".
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Maybe 'a tanked up mob' would be appropriate? or not.
    DCisared wrote:
    Maybe 'a tanked up mob' would be appropriate? or not.

Lets get some pitchforks and set fire to Happiestinthesaddle and Judi's houses. Forget evidence - it's not like anyone needed any for Savile. Lets string them all up coming over here on our forum and taking out threads!

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'd like to point out, with some sense of happiness, that at least one troll has been thrown in the bin. Moving on to the rest.
    I notice one of the ruder posts has gone from the previous page...well done for getting rid
    Thanks.
    @RC7 Has left now too :(
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I'd like to point out, with some sense of happiness, that at least one troll has been thrown in the bin. Moving on to the rest.

Thank you.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    You flag, we warn.

Whilst we are not in the habit of talking about who we warn or ban, I would just like to say that several warnings have been issued, several troublesome members have been banned or are close to being banned, and several proxy servers are being crossed off our safe list.

What this translates as is that your flagging, ignoring and moving on is working and we are doing our best to control the problem.

I would urge all of you to stop the "angry mob" mentality as all it does is feed the trolls and creates more work for us.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    You flag, we warn.

Whilst we are not in the habit of talking about who we warn or ban, I would just like to say that several warnings have been issued, several troublesome members have been banned or are close to being banned, and several proxy servers are being crossed off our safe list.

What this translates as is that your flagging, ignoring and moving on is working and we are doing our best to control the problem.

I would urge all of you to stop the "angry mob" mentality as all it does is feed the trolls and creates more work for us.

I'd really have to agree with that wholeheartedly. No more angry mob, please. Leave all that to the Kaiser Chiefs.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Good to feel the air is suddenly fresher @doubleonothing, thank you very much.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    DarthDimi wrote:
    You flag, we warn.

"Gambatte, mods and admins!" - which, as some of you know, is Japanese for "Go for it!" This is the BEST news I've heard in a while. =D>

So now, the dawn is up here, birds are chirping, my tea has brewed, and it is the beginning of a lovely, happy day for me. Darkest before the dawn has passed. Thanks to all for keeping up your good work. I am going to go enjoy some threads now before heading off to teach. >:D<
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    MODERATORS!!! There the ones who keep the forum safe, from deadly trolls. (playing Goldfinger in the background.) ^:)^
  • Another example is @DaltonCraig007, it says he's been warned twice but he wasn't a troll.
    I've been warned several times, when I tried to gave many reasons why comparing "worldwide inflation ajusted" TB and SF box office was meaningless :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Suivez_ce_parachute, I hope those days are never brought up again. That entire box office thread was incredibly headache-inducing.
    Hello I would like to add to this thread by saying that sometimes newer members are tainted with a negative brush because other new members are trolling. I do not think that is fair and needs to be addressed. Thank you.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Hello I would like to add to this thread by saying that sometimes newer members are tainted with a negative brush because other new members are trolling. I do not think that is fair and needs to be addressed. Thank you.

Well if members used the forum as 99% of those who come here do, and didn't troll and cause problems for all, then it wouldn't be an issue.
    The issue arises when members new or old start bringing attention to themselves, be it by spamming, trolling, posting offensive material, derailing threads, flaming topics to cause an argument, pretending to be something they are not. Claiming to come from a part of the world there IP clearly does not match....generally making everyones time here less enjoyable. Then, that's when I start to lose my sense of humour and my tolerance for their behavior.
    What often surprises me, is we give everyone a fair chance, yet and it's hard to beleive, the troublemakers always end up losing in the end. They slip up, push it to far, never take the advice. It's crazy. C'est la vie.

I have already explained to you why IPs don't match and to air our dirty laundry is unbecoming of a mod! I do not spam I always follow Brady's lead (he is who I look up to on the boards - an experience trusted member) and my posts are low content sometimes but only for that reason! To give words of support. It is hard sometimes being blind to read strictly the terms and conditions.
    I do not spam I always follow Brady's lead (he is who I look up to on the boards - an experience trusted member) and my posts are low content sometimes but only for that reason!

How is that a reason? If you followed Bradys lead then your tiresome posts would be full of worthwhile content as he is a valued member.
    It is hard sometimes being blind to read strictly the terms and conditions.

Its even harder being fully sighted reading your s**t.

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1/community-terms-conditions-of-use

There you go and in the same sized font as the rest of the boards which you seem to manage to read pretty well.

All well and good saying IFM but how much longer do we have to put up with this? Judi has been proven to be a troll for well over a week now and still I wake up to see more inane posts. Due process is all well and good but isnt masquerading as being a blind Slovenian sufficient grounds for a ban?
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 2,015
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Suivez_ce_parachute, I hope those days are never brought up again. That entire box office thread was incredibly headache-inducing.

But copy/pasting lists of hundreds of figures several times a week, with sometimes up to 5 posts in a row, was ok here as long as you were part of the "SF is #1" crowd. It helped I guess the flaggers were only in one side :)

Personnally I can't wait for the next box office thread. Imagine the dollar gets weaker (and then SF's success will be reachable again, making it less "exceptional") - or stronger (and then the next Bond will seem to "fail" wrt to SF). In any cases, comparisons with SF will be all around the place - even though even with only a few years of distance, "worldwide inflation adjustment" will still be meaningless :)

As for the post above, well, once again a troll who singles out the same member as other trolls before... Hope it makes him think a bit...
    Creasy47 wrote:

But copy/pasting lists of hundreds of figures several times a week, with sometimes up to 5 posts in a row, was ok here as long as you were part of the "SF is #1" crowd. It helped I guess the flaggers were only in one side :)

Personnally I can't wait for the next box office thread. Imagine the dollar gets weaker (and then SF's success will be reachable again, making it less "exceptional") - or stronger (and then the next Bond will seem to "fail" wrt to SF). In any cases, comparisons with SF will be all around the place - even though even with only a few years of distance, "worldwide inflation adjustment" will still be meaningless :)

As for the post above, well, once again a troll who singles out the same member as other trolls before... Hope it makes him think a bit...

Spot on Suivez.

Cant believe people were flagging your SF box office stats which I found very infromative.

But then they were objective figures which didnt back up the hypothesis that SF was the biggest film in history so you were always going to annoy some people.

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I would just like to say an enormous "thank you" to our mod team, especially with recent, uhm, disturbance, should we say.

@Suivez_ce_parachute, just so we're clear on that, I never once flagged any of your posts. So what if you contended it? I couldn't have cared less if it was SF, TB, or DAD (okay, maybe that would have been upsetting) that contained the highest grossing box office. Fact is fact, and it was nice seeing people on both sides dispute it. It was merely headache-inducing because it was always a fight of numbers. One side was obviously right. I stopped following it and am still not sure as to which grossed more.

But, I do agree with you that I saw no need for you to be flagged over that.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 2,015
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Fact is fact, and it was nice seeing people on both sides dispute it. It was merely headache-inducing because it was always a fight of numbers. One side was obviously right. I stopped following it and am still not sure as to which grossed more.
    I never saw any figures but dollars in the "other side" :)

My computation is really just two lines long : "Count in pounds instead of dollars for instance. In 1965 TB did about 50 M£. Pounds inflation calculator gives then 830 M£ for 2013. SF did 725 M£."

And my conclusion is "With such meaningless computation, TB is slightly below SF in $, and significantly above in £. Well, IMO it means what you're really looking at is the strength of currencies over time". "Worldwide inflation corrected box office" is a joke - a site like BoxOfficeMojo which is a reference for many here simply do NOT make such lists. Stick to the US market if you want to use dollar inflation (and then there SF is half of TB !)
    So in short, SF is higher in dollars, but lower in pounds? I realize that any article I see on the Internet now states that SF is the highest-grossing Bond film of all time, so if that's the case and I'm correct in assuming what you just typed, they're either going off of the $ figures, or they're just assuming this because it popped up somewhere else. Either way, SF and TB performed wonderfully at the box office, and I'm glad they both reached such a milestone.