Calling All True MI6 Members- *Evacuation Protocol*

Comments

Just bumping this again, since our good friend samainsy makes so much effort to get this thread down.
  • Bumping this thread again so people can see why I'm leaving.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I think that we need to stand together and see the plan through by removing all trolling members and using the IFM procedure. I am happy to leave all of these problems MI6 has been facing in the hands of the mods and admin. Members leaving and general discord is just what these trolls want most - so don't give them the pleasure. All true members of MI6 need now to stand their ground and close ranks until the troll threat has melted away.
  • If I may, what does IFM stand for? I've seen it a lot, but I haven't been able to figure it out.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    If I may, what does IFM stand for? I've seen it a lot, but I haven't been able to figure it out.

It stands for IGNORE FLAG MOVE ON. It's MI6 procedure for dealing with posts by trolling members. Some others have called it the IAN FLEMING MANOEUVRE!
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 4,813
    Dragonpol wrote:
    All true members of MI6 need now to stand their ground and close ranks until the troll threat has melted away.

I'm not going anywhere
    Dragonpol wrote:
    All true members of MI6 need now to stand their ground and close ranks until the troll threat has melted away.

I'm not going anywhere

Why would you? You are not a troll.

The IMF doesn't work and being forced to continue with it, isn't the way out of this. More action, no FASTER action has to be taken by mods/admins, so the endless flagging comes to an end. I doubt, its more work, I say, its less work for them, if they deal fast and ban them after the first warning. If they are not smart enough or willing enough to change their attitude ater 1 warning, 2 more won't do the trick. That's not a guess, tfat's been proven over and over in those last weeks.

To make this clear, its not a dictating what to do, but it seems like the logical consequence.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Bumping this thread again so people can see why I'm leaving.

Please - and I mean this so sincerely - do not leave this forum,@thelordflasheart. You are a valued member. I am trying to hang in here and would sorely miss your posts.

I spent 45 minutes on this forum, just reading a bit here and there, last evening - and I did not see three of our usual trolls. They just were not active. It was a pleasant surprise. I know we have had wave after wave of trolls and the boards have been filled with stupidity, garbage, and worse. But please stay. The heart and foundation of this forum is really excellent and worthwhile. You are a big part of that.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited April 2013 Posts: 23,553
    Germanlady wrote:
    The IMF doesn't work and being forced to continue with it, isn't the way out of this. More action, no FASTER action has to be taken by mods/admins, so the endless flagging comes to an end.

That is not true, @Germanlady. It does work. The engines are running red hot behind the scenes and it helps tremendously when we come in and immediately check the flag list. Many flags lead to direct deletion of awful posts and sending out warnings. Some flags, however, and I must stress: some, are a trifle too impulsive. We never begrudge a flagger of course but not all flags are considered justified. You'd be amazed to read why people flag sometimes. Either way, it saddens me that people are suddenly discouraged to flag; we have never had such an effective means for removing objectionable content before! So to all out there, please keep flagging when you feel you must.

As for 'more' or 'faster' action from mods/admins, that comment saddens me even more. I won't elaborate here but truly, when one spends every single spare moment of the day checking the flagged content and keeping the wheels behind the scenes greased and spinning, this is rather an insult if nothing else.
    Germanlady wrote:
    I doubt, its more work, I say, its less work for them, if they deal fast and ban them after the first warning. If they are not smart enough or willing enough to change their attitude ater 1 warning, 2 more won't do the trick. That's not a guess, tfat's been proven over and over in those last weeks.

Yet some here who are veteran members and have earned much respect in recent times, members whom we're proud to call our own, once a long time ago earned themselves two warnings as well.

Guys, the annoyances and irritations are understood and, indeed, shared by all the mods and the admins. But to be fair, we seem to be talking about them more than the perps take action themselves. Ignore, just ignore. They may reply to a post of yours, but you still ignore. Flag the content and we remove it. And move on. Show you don't care. Show they need to bring bigger guns to draw our attention. And when the guns get big enough, they get banned. It's simple playground logic. So IFM absolutely works, but the 'I' is what some still struggle with and the 'F' is what helps us to keep the place clean.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @DarthDimi, that's how I feel. A lot of blame is thrown at the mods, but all I see anymore are these 'DO NOT FEED THE TROLL' pictures, which, in turn, actually acknowledges their existence. You can't preach IFM and then engage a troll every single time one pops up. Just ignore them. It's literally that simple. Ignore them - don't reply to anything they say, flag, and repeat.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited April 2013 Posts: 13,350
    I believe one trusted member (I forget who) said it gets so annoying, they feel they have to reply. I mean, my God, that's exactly the problem!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @DarthDimi, that's how I feel. A lot of blame is thrown at the mods, but all I see anymore are these 'DO NOT FEED THE TROLL' pictures, which, in turn, actually acknowledges their existence. You can't preach IFM and then engage a troll every single time one pops up. Just ignore them. It's literally that simple. Ignore them - don't reply to anything they say, flag, and repeat.

Thanks for the support, @Creasy47. :-)

I know many of us want trolls warned more quickly so that they get their official "3 strikes you're out" status and banned more quickly. Of course we want that! However, I do hear you, DarthDimi. And I believe our mods are working hard to help clean up our forum.

I want to mention something I have been mulling over the last three days. Would others please give me their opinion on this in particular: Personally, I have felt that every time I read someone saying on a thread something about "He's a troll." or "We know it's you, Buttons." etc. (just paraphrasing here ...) - I think, well, the greedy narcissistic troll is probably happy to read that, too. Every little comment - even if we are just telling other members a warning about the poster - feeds the insatiable troll. I am considering doing my warning and comments like that, "So and so seems to be a troll ..." in private messages only, to members I am regularly in touch with. Rather than comment on line.

I know that is really difficult to do, to not comment at all.
    I think it would help if we could consistently. Man, there are times I just want to write two or three words in a response and I have to pretty much force myself to remember to not respond or comment at all. I type really fast; it's kind of like a quick draw of a gun. So I need to restrain myself. It's not easy.

By the way, I thought I could check a poster's profile and see if there was a warning there; but I have learned that the warnings simply cannot be posted on profiled anymore - indeed that stopped a while ago (too time consuming). I understand that and that is okay with me. I am trusting that you and other mods are warning trolls even though I cannot see a warning on their profile.

I am staying because the core of this forum is worthwhile, I have made online friends here, I love James Bond and the quality of this forum in general (it is outstanding); this is one of the very best Bond sites. Obviously, it has over the past 2 years become my favorite.

Flagging and ignoring are the weapons we have as members. I value this forum and I am asking sincerely all genuinely decent members to stick together.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Great post, idea and the perfect way to deal with this situation @4EverBonded.
    Expect a PM ;)
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 6,601
    DarthDimi wrote:

That is not true, @Germanlady. It does work. The engines are running red hot behind the scenes and it helps tremendously when we come in and immediately check the flag list. Many flags lead to direct deletion of awful posts and sending out warnings. Some flags, however, and I must stress: some, are a trifle too impulsive. We never begrudge a flagger of course but not all flags are considered justified. You'd be amazed to read why people flag sometimes. Either way, it saddens me that people are suddenly discouraged to flag; we have never had such an effective means for removing objectionable content before! So to all out there, please keep flagging when you feel you must.

I believe and agree on this. But this is NOT what i am trying to say.

As for 'more' or 'faster' action from mods/admins, that comment saddens me even more. I won't elaborate here but truly, when one spends every single spare moment of the day checking the flagged content and keeping the wheels behind the scenes greased and spinning, this is rather an insult if nothing else.

It would be an insult allright, IF that was, what I meant. I am not.

I say: STOP the 3 times warning system,. Warn them once and ban them for the next trolling post. If we had 10 members and couldn't afford to loose any, maybe,. But here we have many, many more and its a bit of an insult to us members, if WE are supposed to read through flaggeable posts so often, because you stick to your 3 times warning system. Can't you understand, that this makes it a lauging stock for those, who want to bring mischief? This system gives them enough time to REALLY annoy the hell out of the decent members, who hopefully count for more.

Yet some here who are veteran members and have earned much respect in recent times, members whom we're proud to call our own, once a long time ago earned themselves two warnings as well.

To find out, who is worthy of your patience, you thrust these people upon the members of whom most are proven to not belong to those, who will change? I say, that is unfair in the current situation and not worth the effort. Maybe you will ban one, who COULD better himself, but for that, we have to endure all the others for weeks.

Guys, the annoyances and irritations are understood and, indeed, shared by all the mods and the admins. But to be fair, we seem to be talking about them more than the perps take action themselves. Ignore, just ignore. They may reply to a post of yours, but you still ignore. Flag the content and we remove it. And move on. Show you don't care. Show they need to bring bigger guns to draw our attention. And when the guns get big enough, they get banned. It's simple playground logic. So IFM absolutely works, but the 'I' is what some still struggle with and the 'F' is what helps us to keep the place clean.

How I read this is, In order for you to finally ban them, we have to get through the "not so bad" posts and hope for those, who will get REALLY awful? REALLY? I like you, Dimi, but this is ridiculous.

• DeLancieFan96DeLancieFan96 Banned
    Very good options fora troll defense. Kudos.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Great post @4EverBonded. I also felt tired of the constant fighting going on in some threads, trolls trolling and others responding sometimes in a childish way. Answering trolls is like scratching an itch, if you start you cannot stop. A work trip followed by food poisoning kept me less active than usual lately and also with a lower patience threshold. I simply preferred to stay out of it and for the most part ignore. I hope everything will get back to normal now.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    One thing that's really annoying and potentially attack provoking is when trolls do come up, almost everyone (I've been guilty of it too and I regret it.) accuses the troll of being @TouchMyButtons. I think when a troll is compared to or accused of being a past troll, they take more intensive measures to separate themselves from and do elaborate trolling. But when it comes down to it, Buttons mainly posted conspiracy theories and negative opinions about Skyfall and antagonized everyone who liked it. Secondary trolls like @Pierceuhhh just posted annoying and sometimes offensive "fan arts" And now this new troll who I call the "picture poster", posts tons of offensive and disgusting images. The previous two don't share anything in common with Buttons. I think it's best if we don't compare or accuse new trolls of being @TouchMyButtons. So from now on, when trolls do appear I'm just going to flag and move on and bite into something soft to contain my urge to reply.
    So you don*t agree, that a 1 warning system would be better? IMO that would rid us immediately of all the trouble we have.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Germanlady wrote:
    So you don*t agree, that a 1 warning system would be better? IMO that would rid us immediately of all the trouble we have.

No I do agree that a 1 warning system would be better, but it doesn't help that some of us accuse new trolls of being Buttons.
    "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

a_107MichaelBiehn.jpg
    Murdock wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

No I do agree that a 1 warning system would be better, but it doesn't help that some of us accuse new trolls of being Buttons.

Thank you.
    About the other. Sometimes I really don't get it. trolls are trolls. If we identify someone as a troll, IMO it doesn't matter, if we call him whaever. He is a troll. Right? That should be enough to give him his 1st warning and be done with it.
    I think one warning may not be sufficient. It depends upon the severity of the action/posting, surely. I would probably be happier with two warnings.
    I believe, we can easily find out, what the people here want.

Can a mod please make a poll, where we can choose between 1, 2 or 3 warnings
    One thing for sure. I put my head on the block and just said, what i know, many are thinking. The response, the open response is so so. If this is over and nothing has changed, nobody has ever again a reason to complain. They have had their chances to speak out and change the rules and some did, but not all, who have been complaining. Too bad.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I think if we have a one warning system then a warning would really have to be justified.

I've been told before that my account had been warned for swearing, and I don't think dropping F bombs a few too many times should be a reason for banning.

Another example is @DaltonCraig007, it says he's been warned twice but he wasn't a troll.

I think if a one warning system was put in place then we'd have to make sure it was only real trolls being warned.
    Murdock wrote:
    One thing that's really annoying and potentially attack provoking is when trolls do come up, almost everyone (I've been guilty of it too and I regret it.) accuses the troll of being @TouchMyButtons.

To be fair he's made so many accounts it's hard not to be paranoid. We didn't have any real trolls I can think of before him (although I joined a few months after this forum started).
    edited April 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Well, this isn't a democracy, though. It won't be up to us how many warnings there will be as a policy. I'm going to re-read the terms and conditions later today (no time now; I've got to go to work). We can vote on it, but then everyone who votes should re-read the current terms so we can keep that in mind before voting.

Surely we can agree there are different levels of what should be a warning. Us voting in a poll will be a rather fruitless, though perhaps interesting for us, exercise. I do not mind having 3 warnings as the policy - as long as warnings happen quickly and move to bans.

@thelivingroyale, I also think the huge popularity of SF has brought new trolls here for sure.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Bond has taught you nothing I see. Simply shameful.
    'Thelordflasheart will return'

'Thelordflasheart will return'

Woof! ;)