Spectre Composer Is Thomas Newman

Comments

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    But I really don't think you had to got into specifics, "This was part of the 'dial back' of the cliches that surrounded the Brosnan tenure (badly written one liners, overuse of Bond theme for any action sequence, gadgets galore from the Omega, Bond James Bond used to death, Shaken not Stirred etc. etc.).".
    It's what we hear time and time again and it induces eye-rolling.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Point taken again, and you're probably right. I do believe it to be true though. I think the producers know it and that's why they took such a 'u turn' with Craig in almost every way possible and went for subtle nuance rather than overt obviousness (if that's a word).

Did not realize it had been beaten to death here as I've not been posting for long.

Anyway,
    But I really don't think you had to got into specifics, "This was part of the 'dial back' of the cliches that surrounded the Brosnan tenure (badly written one liners, overuse of Bond theme for any action sequence, gadgets galore from the Omega, Bond James Bond used to death, Shaken not Stirred etc. etc.).".
    It's what we hear time and time again and it induces eye-rolling.

Hopefully we should soon get an announcement on this?!!!
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    From memory Newman was announced January 2012, so I wouldn't expect an announcement until, at the earliest, Jan 2015.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
  • Samuel001 wrote: »
    It will never happen but I would love to see what Canadian composer Trevor Morris could do with a bigger film like Bond. Up until now he's mainly stuck to TV with the exception of Olympus Has Fallen.

Morris also did Immortals in 2011. He's got some great musical ideas in that head of his.
    I really really think Howard Shore would be quite the grab to do some Bond soundtrack work in the future. He's done all of the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit pictures. His scores are very theme-based and melodic, something Barry brought to the series, and left with. Give the guy a go.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Samuel001 wrote: »
    It will never happen but I would love to see what Canadian composer Trevor Morris could do with a bigger film like Bond. Up until now he's mainly stuck to TV with the exception of Olympus Has Fallen.

Morris also did Immortals in 2011. He's got some great musical ideas in that head of his.

His television music too is far more cinematic than the majority of Hollywood scores these days. He'd certainly be an interesting choice.
    I can't wait for the composer to be announced. For me it's as important as the cast.

I am hoping for a new man, failing which I'll take Newman.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Please Hans Zimmer: just saw Interstellar, and the score is absolutely phenomenal, better than anything Thomas Newman could ever dream of. Anyone who disagrees, you need to listen to the soundtrack, there is no question he is much more talented and better in every single way.
  • Please Hans Zimmer: just saw Interstellar, and the score is absolutely phenomenal, better than anything Thomas Newman could ever dream of. Anyone who disagrees, you need to listen to the soundtrack, there is no question he is much more talented and better in every single way.

Zimmer's score for Interstellar was quite fantastic. A real departure from his typical Nolan sound. He certainly can still surprise. I know before I've said I really would not like to see a James Bond score by Hans Zimmer, but if he's in the right kind of mode, I suppose Zimmer probably could work wonders on a Bond film.
    Yes, the Interstellar score was very good - dramatic - and matched the scenes perfectly. Just very loud though.

Reminded me of Moonraker mixed with DAF's Slumber Inc. track (with all the organs blaring)
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    bondjames wrote: »
    Yes, the Interstellar score was very good - dramatic - and matched the scenes perfectly. Just very loud though.

Speaking of loudness, anyone find that Adele's Skyfall wasnt loud enough in the theatre?

• MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    bondjames wrote: »

Speaking of loudness, anyone find that Adele's Skyfall wasnt loud enough in the theatre?

Yes! I had the same feeling as well as Adele's performance at the Academy Awards. The song is so powerful but needs that high volume for the key notes.

I'd be just fine with Thomas Newman again. Looking forward to hearing Zimmer's Interstellar score this weekend.
    The great thing about John Barry's soundtracks were the variations of the main theme used throughout. Newman's SF was practically devoid of references to Adele's song.
    I hope the SPECTRE soundtrack will include more cues from the title song as well as include the title song on the soundtrack itself.
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    Nothing to worry about here folks.

Newman was nominated for an Oscar for Skyfall. He has been given the privelege of returning to one of the most storied franchises (music wise) of all time. He is only the 3rd composer, after Barry and Arnold, to be asked back.

He will 'up' his game. I have no doubt he has the talent. If he paid the franchise lip service in SF, he won't do it this time.

The score will be epic. He will use the title theme in it too. I'm certain of it. SF was such a success that everyone has to step it up a notch, especially the composer, given the importance of music to the movie.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    edited December 2014 Posts: 2,252
    Even Arnold used the theme in his films (the ones he had control over)...and at those moments the score, and film, is richer for it
  • Mi6LisbonBranchMi6LisbonBranch Lisbon, Portugal
    I'm a bit dissapointed that Newman returns, but he is very talented and if he is "told" to get back more to the 007 music formula maybe it will be great. I did like the Skyfall OST but it lacked more Bondian moments.
    I don't mind Newman returning to be honest! I am more curious about who is going to perform the song?
    This shouldn't have come to a surprise to anyone. Once Mendes was announced to direct this movie I/we knew Newman would be back and Im actually looking forward to what he can bring to the table a 2nd time.

Was there any other Bond composer that was nominated for an Oscar other than Newman?
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Was there any other Bond composer that was nominated for an Oscar other than Newman?

You mean nominated for an Oscar for a Bond film, right? Marvin Hamlish got a nomination for the score of The Spy Who Loved Me. Spectre will be the first Bond movie to have a score written by a composer who has already received an Oscar nomination for a James Bond score before.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'm a D Arnold fan but I thought T Newman did a great job. So
    I'm hoping he'll do even better second time around. :)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I think SF was kind of a learning experience for scoring that type of film. Ditto even for Mendes directing. So even though I'm curious about other composers I'll welcome back Newman.

Sorry just thought if Seinfeld .."hello Newman..." =))
  • DrGorner wrote: »
    I'm a D Arnold fan but I thought T Newman did a great job. So
    I'm hoping he'll do even better second time around. :)

Yes, Yes and Yes.
    :-bd
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I really wanted Arnold to return but I'm not mad a Newman coming back. I just hope with the criticisms and whatever issues plagued his work for SF can humble him and everyone involved know and understand what the achievement is. The title theme needs to be part of the score's overall fabric and the use of the Bond theme needs to be fair and generous. Overall, it needs to be epic, grand and Bondian.
    fjdinardo wrote: »

You mean nominated for an Oscar for a Bond film, right? Marvin Hamlish got a nomination for the score of The Spy Who Loved Me. Spectre will be the first Bond movie to have a score written by a composer who has already received an Oscar nomination for a James Bond score before.

Yes and Oh yes I remember he did
  • Can we please continue is this topic? http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/7089/spectre-thomas-newman-is-back-appreciation-topic#latest

It's the larger one, and most up-to-date one.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Can we please continue is this topic? http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/7089/spectre-thomas-newman-is-back-appreciation-topic#latest

It might be better to use this thread to critique Newman since the other thread is an appreciation thread.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    We do need to keep an appreciation thread separate and as appreciation, hard as they is to do at times. So I think we can keep this thread. :)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Murdock wrote: »
    Can we please continue is this topic? http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/7089/spectre-thomas-newman-is-back-appreciation-topic#latest

It might be better to use this thread to critique Newman since the other thread is an appreciation thread.

Good idea, Murdock. You can keep it here.