Spectre Composer Is Thomas Newman

Comments

• HASEROT wrote:
    Skyfail wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

hell, the one part of his score damn near is identical the batman theme used in Nolan's films.. i mean, note by note, it was the same..

I got the same feeling ,while hearing one of the tracks , I can't remember which one it was , the one in Shanghai ?

I'm pretty sure it's the moment when M and Kincade duck into the priest-hole. When the music kicked in, I was expecting a slew of bats to burst out of the tunnel a la Batman Begins.

no... it's the part in the film where Bond is hanging onto the elevator that Patrice is in....

the long tilt shot up showing the elevator on it's ascent up the building is where we hear it..

That's "Jellyfish" and one of the relatively few standout tracks for me, I really like the very suspenseful feel of it and it excellently captures the feel of Bond silently stalking a fellow assassin.
    W_PPK wrote:
    David Arnold`s music has that Bondish feeling which Newmans`s hasn`t. Bad Bondish music is better for 007 than good not Bondish.
    But Arnold`s soundtracks were brilliant. Especially TND. CR and QOS.

The people who appreciate Arnold and his devotion to both his mentor and keeping Bondian music alive totally get this. This is why you have to do more than write in a few well known cues and do your own thing. The best Bond composers other than the master in Martin and Arnold understood that their own creativity had to have the Barry spirit as part of the package. All of those you mention are Arnold's best Bond work in my opinion, and the latter showed Arnold was starting to mature as a composer. Holding him in low esteem because he doesn't conduct is kind of cheap to me, because I'm a composer and musician and I never conducted my band with sheet music and baton waving, that's OK if you like that of course. I told them what I wanted and they were musicians enough to do it within the parameters of my style.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'd love for Arnold to come back for Bond 24. I never agreed with the heat he took from many people butI like to think he'd really knock it out of the park. His last 2 efforts really impressed me and with him being absent for SF and Newman overratingly getting an Oscar nomination, I think Arnold could do something really amazing.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 1,310
    I would like to see someone who carries more of a classical style and does not use any sort of electronic underscore. (Arnold VERY OFTEN does this, and even some of Newman's score has this.) Call me old fashioned, but they should find someone a little closer to Barry's style.

I think Arnold is too techno to be close to Barry. (Although I will commend Arnold for starting to abandon the over reliance of techno cues in the CR and QOS soundtracks.)

I think Ludovic Bource (The Artist, OSS 117) would be an inspired choice. Michael Giacchino, too.
    I say give Newman another chance. I get what your criticisms are, but Arnold also needed some time to develop his more Bondian style.

Giacchino would be awesome, too, but with Star Wars on the horizon for 2015, I very much doubt it.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 498
    xolani wrote:

Arnold also needed some time to develop his more Bondian style.

I think you're confusing Arnold with Newman.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    xolani wrote:
    Giacchino would be awesome, too, but with Star Wars on the horizon for 2015, I very much doubt it.

I think John Williams has that one in the bag.
  • Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    Arnold's scores to CR & QOS were great and his return would of course not be something to cry about- but I have honestly heard enough of what he contributes to the series.

One thing I loved about Thomas Newman's score to SF was that it not only provided a wonderful atmosphere for the film but also sounded different than anything else we have heard in a Bond picture. For that reason alone I would rather the series move on to a new artist to place their musical mark on the 007 world. I would love to see Patrick Doyle do it.
    How about John Altman?

He infamously did the Tank Chase score for Goldeneye, but hasn't gone on to any other major project.

I personally like Serra's GE score, but the chase theme is one of the better parts of the score, and it's not by Serra.

Give this man a job, and this is why:
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Steven Price. English and only composed 3 movies include Gravity (from Alfonso Cuarón)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1888527/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr8#composer

He also be music editor work for some movies like Johny English Reborn, Batman Begins and Lord of the rings Trilogy or additional music.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I saw Gravity yesterday and Price's score was impressive.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Yes, Steven Price's score for GRAVITY is great...
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I'd like to hear a James Bond score by Grant Kirkhope.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited March 2014 Posts: 1,261
    The only thing bugging me with Price is, that he is part of the Hans Zimmer Medie Venture clan. I like Hans Zimmer's soundtracks (well, most of them), but I can't imagine a Zimmer-style Bond soundtrack. Just a feeling, can't explain...

And Grant Kirkhope? Not THIS Grant Kirkhope?

Donkey Kong? Super Mario Bros? Seriously? Then why not have Commodore C64 pecial effects?

• DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Arnold was great but newmans score gets better and better with age and as previously mentioned tells the story all on its own. Get Newman back for B24 he and Mendes work well together and the potential for greater things is definitely there. After all Mr Barry's best bond score wasn't his first was it? I suspect Newman will better his terrific skyfall score if he returns .
    The only thing bugging me with Price is, that he is part of the Hans Zimmer Medie Venture clan. I like Hans Zimmer's soundtracks (well, most of them), but I can't imagine a Zimmer-style Bond soundtrack. Just a feeling, can't explain...
    Grant Kirhope? Good God, no...

What the hell do you have against Kirkhope???
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Have someone mentioned Jonny Greenwood? The guitarist in the british band Radiohead and composer to the wonderful soundtracks to the equal as wonderful films "There Will Be Blood" and "The Master".
    His style is very classical and his use of stringinstruments are sublime, i would like to hear what he could do with Bondmovie!
    MrBond wrote:
    Have someone mentioned Jonny Greenwood?

I think he did a great job on There Will Be Blood but his style is way too avant-garde for a Bond movie. The producers would probably rather work with Eric Serra again than hire Greenwood. :)
  • Arnold is definitely past his sell by date. Bring back Newman. Skyfall was a great score. Hopefully, Mendes insisted on Newman when he signed on for Bond 24. If Newman doesn't want to do it, which is a possibility, them go for Alexandre Desplat or Nic Raine.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Desplat would definitely be awesome. Newman, just no. Once was enough.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 130
    Newman. Still my favourite.

If not him, then I wouldn't say no to:

Steven Price (Gravity)

Reinhold Heil & Johnny Klimek

Ryan Amon (Elysium)
    edited March 2014 Posts: 1,261
    Funny, Heil & Klimek actually are German composers collaborating with director Tom Tykwer (RUN LOA; RUN and THE PERFUME - STORY OF A MURDERER starring Ben Whishaw). I like their work.

Steven Price's GRAVITY score is quite good, but would like to hear some other stuff he did.
    Alexandre Desplat would be a good choice, liked his GHOST WRITER score.

I also think, that Mendes wants Newman back, so we have to wait for MGSW && BB's judgement. Six months form now on we might know more.
    I'd like to have David Arnold back myself.
    I could live with David Arnold either.
    I want Arnold back
    Funny, Heil & Klimek actually are German composers collaborating with director Tom Tykwer (RUN LOA; RUN and THE PERFUME - STORY OF A MURDERER starring Ben Whishaw). I like their work.
    Dont forget this awesome piece! I hated when that show was cancelled.

I loved The Skyfall soundtrack. Had more atmosphere and nuance than Arnold despite sounding less like John Barry
  • Clint Mansell would be an interesting choice. Granted he hasn't done anything particularly Bondian yet (but neither had Newman), but in my opinion he's one of the top 5 or so composers working today.

• It's so simple people..just a few chords is all you need. No schooling required...copy Hans Zimmer, look at him! He is my role model. I am Thomas Newman and remember: being friends with the director and busting a few dings makes music for a movie! Forget David Arnold, you don't need talent. Favors go a long way! Anchors Away!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    David Arnold had his run, and I'm fine if he never comes back to this franchise. He never really got the Bond sound. He may have imitated it, but he never understood it. Prime example is in CR where he suddenly has a bunch of horns blaring in so called Bondian fashion when the Skyfleet is being unveiled from the hangar. It's so over the top, too self-referential, and inappropriate that I'd be more convinced that it was supposed to be for a spoof film than a James Bond film.

Where Arnold actually got things right was in QOS, thanks to Marc Forster of all people, since he made Arnold work by what was on the script rather than what would be on the screen and it helped a lot. He even improves on the Vesper theme by making it more haunting when Bond is drinking those martinis, and that ending with the necklace in the ice. If Arnold is ever to leave on a high note after such a mediocre run, QOS should be the one.

I think EON has been way too generous to have him come back after his laughable TND score, especially after the three following scores that didn't add anything new. After Thomas Newman brought some class, I can't imagine ever returning to Arnold. When the Craig era rebooted the Bond series, it should have left Arnold behind in the Brosnan era, along with Vic Armstrong, John Cleese, ect.
    @MakeshiftPyton I apologise, but disagree with every single word of yours.