Sam Mendes to direct Bond 24?

Comments

^^ I don't think grains of salt are even needed ;) - it's just an article written around a vague quote. Nobody here is claiming it's more than that, merely discussing the possibility like with other directors. As long as there is no official confirmation who'll direct, we'll get these stories with little concrete substance.
    Danny Boyle would be a dream. He's made some of my favourite films. It'd be the first director I was really excited about since Campbell came back.
    I will post this article in all 3 of the main bond 24 threads as I'm unsure which one it actually belongs in

http://metro.co.uk/2013/03/26/danny-boyle-says-no-to-bond-24-im-not-that-kind-of-director-3560833/

now before people say "what's the big deal we know Boyle doesn't want to do that" that isn't why I am posting the article

Boyle did hint that Bond bosses had been in touch to check if he was available.

He said: ‘They make enquires if you’re available and stuff like that, but I will be there when the next one opens.’

THAT is why I'm posting this EON is looking at directors and already making enquries as to wether they are available lending creadence to the fall 2014 release date
    Matthew Vaughn commits to "The Secret Service"
    With a release date set for Nov 14th 2014.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Matthew-Vaughn-Commits-Secret-Service-Production-Start-August-36632.html

This puts him out of the running for Bond.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Interesting release date. It's going to have to move if Bond 24 comes out next year, unless it wants to be destroyed by Jimmy.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I'd be happy with Boyle, yes I would. I hope that works out. I'm not counting on anything; this is all happy speculation. Hope we do know by this summer, though.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    doubleoego wrote:
    Interesting release date. It's going to have to move if Bond 24 comes out next year, unless it wants to be destroyed by Jimmy.

My first thought too. Only the 28th is free in November now.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

My first thought too. Only the 28th is free in November now.

The plot thickens ladies and gentleman?!!! :-? B-)
    All the more reason EON will want to set a release date soon. But I'm still betting on a March 2015 date
    Danny Boyle would be a dream. He's made some of my favourite films. It'd be the first director I was really excited about since Campbell came back.

Campbell's name does keep coming up on forums and blogs.

But when you think about it his films have rarely been critically or financial successes. However, when he makes a Bond film he knocks it out of the park. It seems he can only makes mediocre to poor non-Bond movies otherwise.

I was looking at the reviews for Beyond Borders and scathing doesn't quite sum it up. I think Campbell was hired for CR off the goodwill from GE not the four films he did inbetween. The question is will the good will from CR beckon his re-appointment?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    A heart surgeon can be a crappy brain surgeon or know nothing about the brain completely but put him OR her in an operating room to work on the heart and he/she is a bloody wizard. When it comes to Bond, Campbell is a heart surgeon.
    doubleoego wrote:
    A heart surgeon can be a crappy brain surgeon or know nothing about the brain completely but put him OR her in an operating room to work on the heart and he/she is a bloody wizard. When it comes to Bond, Campbell is a heart surgeon.

Good analogy. Now my doubt about Campbell is that he may be getting old and I think he will want to leave on a high note rather than risk it.
    Ludovico wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

Good analogy. Now my doubt about Campbell is that he may be getting old and I think he will want to leave on a high note rather than risk it.

Wow. That was well put. Campbell's still working, so I imagine if he wants to come back EON will likely talk to him.

I'd like Campbell back. Think I'd prefer Boyle though.
  • doubleoego wrote:

Well put!

To continue with SF success I would suggest EON consider Kathryn Bigelow or Nicolas Winding Refn.
  • scouse007 wrote:
    To continue with SF success I would suggest EON consider Kathryn Bigelow or Nicolas Winding Refn.

Bigelow would be a pretty good choice, Refn might be a little too violent and hyperstylized for Bond though.
    I'd like Campbell back. Think I'd prefer Boyle though.

I recently watched Campbell's 'Beyond Borders', far from a brilliant film but I think the critics were a little unfair on it when it came out. It's not so bad. It's heart was in the right place even if it was a little heavy-handed and unabashed in the way it dealt with its subject matter. The stuff that really works in the film are of course Clive Owen's character (god he would have made a good Bond; evidence if you need it is in this film) and the whole ethical compromise he strikes with the seedy CIA agent. Campbell handles all this underhand espionage with ease, its just the rest of the film which isn't 100% on the money.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    With Mendes out of the question for 'Bond 24' and a lot of other big names essentially being denied thanks to other projects, I'd love for Campbell to return.

Or, Michael Mann. I know many people would hate it, but man, would that be one unique Bond film.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    With Mendes out of the question for 'Bond 24' and a lot of other big names essentially being denied thanks to other projects, I'd love for Campbell to return.

Or, Michael Mann. I know many people would hate it, but man, would that be one unique Bond film.

Wyatt
    Gilroy
    Morrel

Just named 3 big names that could work well.

• Now that PR time is a bit over, journalists are quoting "off" remarks. I read in SFX that Mendes allegedly said to them :

"When I said 'yes' to a Bond movie, I pictured South America, the Andes, a tropical island. And what was I given ? F**king London Underground..."
  • Risico007 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Wyatt
    Gilroy
    Morrel

Just named 3 big names that could work well.
    Wyatt is the only one of the three that I wouldn't mind doing it.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Risico007, I didn't say that there were absolutely no possibilities now, just naming directors I'd enjoy seeing either return or helm (for the first time) the next film.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Now that PR time is a bit over, journalists are quoting "off" remarks. I read in SFX that Mendes allegedly said to them :

"When I said 'yes' to a Bond movie, I pictured South America, the Andes, a tropical island. And what was I given ? F**king London Underground..."

That sure is an "off" remark, considering it sounds fabricated. Since Mendes was involved with Skyfall even during the crisis at the very beginning of its post-production, he okayed /agreed/gave input on the decisions during the scripting to set a lot of the film in London and more. Therefore it makes no sense that he would say something like that since he had the position to question the decision. Just another tabloid quote twisted to sell issues.
  • RC7RC7
    Now that PR time is a bit over, journalists are quoting "off" remarks. I read in SFX that Mendes allegedly said to them :

If you appropriate this at face value then it sounds bitter. It's clearly sarcasm on the part of Mendes and quite amusing.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 2,081
    RC7 wrote:

If you appropriate this at face value then it sounds bitter. It's clearly sarcasm on the part of Mendes and quite amusing.

Exactly. I've seen it before somewhere and I think it's funny. Certainly made me smile. I can totally see him saying that. :P

I think that comment is pretty similar to Daniel's comments about desperately trying to get out of doing Bond ever since he got in, but the mean producers not letting him. Of course, it was reported as a serious comment all over the media 8-| and many who read it deemed him an ungrateful sod.
    Hopefully next week we will have a big Bond rumor
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Risico007 wrote:

What makes you say that? Are you just being hopeful @Risico007?

We should know who the director is around June. That's something.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 9,770
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:

What makes you say that? Are you just being hopeful @Risico007?

We should know who the director is around June. That's something.

being hopefull honestly.

As Batman on film is stagnant

Yes on Record... well apparently they are getting the producer of their lowest selling album for the follow up to Fly from here which was their best selling album in 2 decades (hitting number 36 on the US billboard charts)

so yeah a bit of bond rumor would make me quite happy preferably if its something I would want or could be interested in.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 2,015
    That sure is an "off" remark, considering it sounds fabricated.

It's rather a half-joke. Don't forget Boyle has been quoted as saying Mendes told him foreign locations had to be scrapped because of budget constraints. Silva's island was supposed to feature far more in the original script, and should have probably been a real location instead of a CG mix in a handful of shots...
    Since Mendes was involved with Skyfall even during the crisis at the very beginning of its post-production, he okayed /agreed/gave input on the decisions during the scripting to set a lot of the film in London and more.

If you think movie making is immune to the global funding crisis that's still ongoing today, I'm afraid you're wrong...
    Therefore it makes no sense that he would say something like that since he had the position to question the decision. Just another tabloid quote twisted to sell issues.

Well here it seems many think that the Bond team is a bunch of geniuses with unlimited powers + Purvis & Wade as the ones it's okay to hate since they allegedly do nothing but having their names on the credits (they're one of the few common points between CR and SF ironically ;) ). But the truth is surely a bit more complicated :)