Sam Mendes to direct Bond 24?

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I would'nt be disappointed with Affleck, Argo was quality and he shows a real talent for suspense, the opening of Argo is particularly tense.

I still see it being a Brit if I know Eon with Oscar in the equation but who knows.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Realistically, Affleck has no chance of directing a Bond film.
    doubleoego wrote:

definitely , Its just not going to happen.
  • RC7RC7
    Skyfail wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

definitely , Its just not going to happen.

Aside from EON's non-US policy, which will someday wane, why would Affleck be unrealistic?
    RC7 wrote:
    Aside from EON's non-US policy

This would be the exact reason ^

• RC7RC7
    Skyfail wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Well, I'm sure the time will come when the best director on offer is American. They've mixed things up before, I'm sure they will again. I'm a Brit so I enjoy it when I get to see a Brit direct, but I don't see how a european like Forster is any more appropriate than an American.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    RC7 wrote:
    Skyfail wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Well, I'm sure the time will come when the best director on offer is American. They've mixed things up before, I'm sure they will again. I'm a Brit so I enjoy it when I get to see a Brit direct, but I don't see how a european like Forster is any more appropriate than an American.

Exactly, you hit the nail in the head. I think currently it is not far fetched to think an American could direct a Bond film. Nationality is no longer an issue in my opinion. If the best option available is not British I'm not seeing Wilson and Broccoli making a fuss about it.
    RC7 wrote:
    Skyfail wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

That rule is a bit ridiculous.
    Modern racism if you ask me. :)
    But we are talking about Bond 24, I don't things will shake before then.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Some people are afraid that if a yank helms a Bond film, we'll go from Suave English gent to something like this...

2d2.jpg
    Skyfail wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Skyfail wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Then how do you explain Forster, a German-Swiss? The rule of getting only British or Commonwealth directors is long gone.
    Sandy wrote:
    Skyfail wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Skyfail wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Then how do you explain Forster, a German-Swiss? The rule of getting only British or Commonwealth directors is long gone.

He's still European , which is a feel they try to obtain in Craig's movies.

But I do agree with doubleoego's humorous take on the situation :))

Fincher nailed the European vibe in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Proving that really shouldn't be the problem.
    I just don't want Ang Lee after the Hulk the man shouldn't direct traffic let alone a bond film.

If Ang Lee is announced I want to say publically I will not make any negative posts about him but will become EXTREMLY WORRIED but won't voice that till we get a screen shot of Bond 24 at the very least.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    edited March 2013 Posts: 512
    Skyfail wrote:
    Sandy wrote:
    Skyfail wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Skyfail wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

He's still European , which is a feel they try to obtain in Craig's movies.

But I do agree with doubleoego's humorous take on the situation :))

Fincher nailed the European vibe in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Proving that really shouldn't be the problem.

Sam Mendes made American Beauty(a Brit directing an American dream film in the suburbs) why is the opposite not possible?

Besides John Logan is also American.
    JWPepper wrote:

Sam Mendes made American Beauty, why is the opposite not possible?
    Whaaa...??

As an American, I firmly believe that there is no longer a biased against American directors as there obviously was in the early days (that Cubby and Speilberg story will never make sense to me). EON will hire the best person for the job in their minds and it is just a matter of time before that person is a talented American director.

And yes as mentioned above the British Sam Mendes directed American Beauty and I don't believe anyone could have done better
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Fincher or Affleck would have no problem delivering a great Bond film, I'd love to see Fincher but it's most unlikely I would have thought Ben is more likely, mostly because I don't think DF would want to do it but he might who knows, whereas Affleck is earlier in his career and making the kind of films Fincher used to make, whereas DF is looking to upgrade into the blockbuster arena making the likes of 20,000 Leagues with 3D more's the pity.
  • There are many talented American directors out there who grew up with Bond films and understand the precepts. We have many American fans here who know Fleming and the Bond films and legacy inside and out as well as any British fan. The question is, are these possible directors fans of the gritty, classic kind of Bond or the popcorn variety?

The latter need not apply IMHO. I'm still trying to recover from the prior era :)
    Its not a question of American's incapable of doing the job.
    Its about MGW or Babs wanting one.
    We should not forget that both producers are American and they have a very talented American screenwriter doing the next two films. Also remember they offered Paul Haggis the directors chair for QOS and he is from Canada. So it's not about wanting or not wanting us Americans, it's about the best person for the job
    So what do you people think of Tom Tykwer? He's directed big-budget (Cloud Atlas) and made a very good thriller with "The International", IMO. And he might have that "European vibe" (whatever that is!).
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I don't really care who directs or writes. For all I care, a band of highly evolved chimps could get the gig as long as they can make an awesome Bond film.
    xolani wrote:
    So what do you people think of Tom Tykwer? He's directed big-budget (Cloud Atlas) and made a very good thriller with "The International", IMO. And he might have that "European vibe" (whatever that is!).

The International was amazing, I wasn't able to watch Cloud Atlas though.
    Sandy wrote:
    xolani wrote:

The International was amazing, I wasn't able to watch Cloud Atlas though.

Yep!
    International had a modern feel that James Bond also has.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Barbara Broccoli says, "We will get him back".

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/175753-sam-mendes-will-return-says-james-bond-producer-barbara-broccoli

Earlier this month, it was revealed that Sam Mendes had declined to return as director for the next James Bond film. Speaking with Getty Images Entertainment today, however, producer Barbara Broccoli said that she and fellow producer Michael G. Wilson aren't going to let the Skyfall director leave the franchise that easily.

“We will get him back," she says. "We haven’t given up hope... Maybe not for the next one… but we will get him back again.”

“We are working on him," Wilson adds. "We hope that maybe he will have gotten inspired to come back.”

Mendes himself admits that, while he's unlikely to helm the 24th EON Production, he's tentatively interested in a future franchise entry.

“Bond movies, they need someone working on it now," Mendes himself explains. "...I’m doing my theatre projects and then I’ll work out... I’ve definitely left the door open though... I’ve never really repeated myself, done the same type of movie one after the other, so just give me a chance to think about what I actually want to say."

Skyfall earned an impressive $1.108 billion at the worldwide box office, of which $304.4 million came from domestic theaters and $804 million from overseas.
    this is all conjecture for a future bond film NOT bond 24
  • I really hope Barbara and Michael have already started speaking with directors, but usually when that happens doesn't the media always find out?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Normally we don't hear until a deal is almost done.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Normally we don't hear until a deal is almost done.

And then everyone rumored to be directing denies everything. :P
    With Forster and Mendes, the first time we heard their name mentioned as possibilites, they were basically on board already to direct. As we've discovered with Skyfall, EON is not bad at keeping secrets when they want to.