Sam Mendes to direct Bond 24?

Comments

Films are different in terms of rumors in Quantum of solace's case Mitchell was confirmed then left the project and we got this nice rumor

http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=5032

with Skyfall it was

Boyle rumored in febuary denied by march

Gilroy rumored around May 2009

Mendes came on board in 2010

So who knows we may get a few rumored directors we may just get the director when its confirmed
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 1,215
    I know it's been largely thought of as impossible, but I hope the producers contact Steven Spielberg. I know there was the whole situation with Cubby rejecting him, and then Spielberg claiming that Bond can't afford him, but Cubby is dead, the franchise has gone in a completely different direction, and judging by Skyfall's profits, I don't think there is a single director that they can't afford. Also, after watching Munich and Lincoln, I think where the franchise is at and where Spielberg is at in his career mesh quite well. He has worked with Daniel Craig on multiple occasions, Bond gives him the opportunity to showcase his signature fun and action while also giving him the ability to spread his wings dramatically, especially given John Logan's comments about continuing to explore Bond's human side. Not to mention having Spielberg and Bond together will guarantee you 1 billion dollars right off the bat.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Can they afford Speilberg, really? I doubt it. And I just don't feel he would be the best choice; hard to say why. If I could have another top tier famous director, my choice would be Martin Scorsese.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I know it's been largely thought of as impossible, but I hope the producers contact Steven Spielberg. I know there was the whole situation with Cubby rejecting him, and then Spielberg claiming that Bond can't afford him, but Cubby is dead, the franchise has gone in a completely different direction, and judging by Skyfall's profits, I don't think there is a single director that they can't afford. Also, after watching Munich and Lincoln, I think where the franchise is at and where Spielberg is at in his career mesh quite well. He has worked with Daniel Craig on multiple occasions, Bond gives him the opportunity to showcase his signature fun and action while also giving him the ability to spread his wings dramatically, especially given John Logan's comments about continuing to explore Bond's human side. Not to mention having Spielberg and Bond together will guarantee you 1 billion dollars right off the bat.

I would at least float it past him. There is no doubt that he is an extraordinary filmmaker; no doubt he would bring John Williams aboard. I know Williams is in his 80's but he is still vital and his creativity has not waned.
    My reservation concerning Spielberg is that It's been a while since he made a smart, entertaining, fun, escapist movie. Has he passed that stage in his career? He is at a point where he has all the money he needs, has won almost every award there is to win. Who knows the little boy in him just might say ,'that would be fun'; why not? Peter Jackson just said that he wants to direct a Doctor Who, so never say never.

Well if 2014 is the case I think we will hear very soon.

Here's a little history on the timeframe for director hiring to give us an idea what to expect:

TWINE - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/1792
    Apted was hired in Summer, around 6 months before filming.
    DAD - http://uk.ign.com/articles/2001/07/31/tamahori-forges-direct-bond-with-007
    Tamahori was hired around a similar time.
    CR - http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond_21_announced.php3
    Campbell's hiring broke the pattern as he officially boarded the film over a year before filming commenced; but CR was delayed a year remember so the prods had plenty of time to find a helmer.
    QOS - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6220890.stm
    Forster's appointment went back to a similar pre-CR schedule.
    SF - http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=26631
    Mendes was hired almost 2 whole years before cameras rolled on SF. But once again the film was severely delayed.

Looking at the above it seems that the unanimously-agreed best Bond films come when the direct is hired early having had around 1-2 years to develop the thing.

For these reasons I think it integral that EON hire a director now, Mendes-or-no-Mendes; they need to get the ball rolling.

well MGM did say an announcement was coming soon...
  • Risico007 wrote:
    well MGM did say an announcement was coming soon...
    Depends on what "soon" means...
    talos7 wrote:
    ---
    My reservation concerning Spielberg is that It's been a while since he made a smart, entertaining, fun, escapist movie. Has he passed that stage in his career? ---

Tintin? :D

• edited March 2013 Posts: 498
    Well if 2014 is the case I think we will hear very soon.

Here's a little history on the timeframe for director hiring to give us an idea what to expect:

TWINE - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/1792
    Apted was hired in Summer, around 6 months before filming.
    DAD - http://uk.ign.com/articles/2001/07/31/tamahori-forges-direct-bond-with-007
    Tamahori was hired around a similar time.
    CR - http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond_21_announced.php3
    Campbell's hiring broke the pattern as he officially boarded the film over a year before filming commenced; but CR was delayed a year remember so the prods had plenty of time to find a helmer.
    QOS - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6220890.stm
    Forster's appointment went back to a similar pre-CR schedule.
    SF - http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=26631
    Mendes was hired almost 2 whole years before cameras rolled on SF. But once again the film was severely delayed.

Looking at the above it seems that the unanimously-agreed best Bond films come when the direct is hired early having had around 1-2 years to develop the thing.

For these reasons I think it integral that EON hire a director now, Mendes-or-no-Mendes; they need to get the ball rolling.

Woah!
    We appreciate the effort @Pierce2Daniel :)

I think that would mean around July as an announce date ?
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 11,119
    First of all, I said on numerous occasions that I am convinced EON will choose another Oscar heavy director for a future Bond film. Now this news came in. It seems Oscar winning director Danny Boyle has been talking extensively to Barbara Broccoli during yesterday's Empire Awards Gala. Producer Michael Wilson yesterday said: "He [Danny Boyle]certainly could be a Bond director!" :)>- :

http://www.nu.nl/film/3380471/danny-boyle-regisseert-volgende-bond-film.html
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/film/4859864/danny-boyle-to-direct-james-bond-movie.html

So, perhaps we can say that Danny Boyle can't be ruled out completely ;-)?
    Can this be believed !?
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    First of all, I said on numerous occasions that I am convinced EON will choose another Oscar heavy director for a future Bond film. Now this news came in. It seems Oscar winning director Danny Boyle has been talking extensively to Barbara Broccoli during yesterday's Empire Awards Gala. Producer Michael Wilson yesterday said: "He [Danny Boyle]certainly could be a Bond director!" :)>- :

http://www.nu.nl/film/3380471/danny-boyle-regisseert-volgende-bond-film.html
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/film/4859864/danny-boyle-to-direct-james-bond-movie.html

So, perhaps we can say that Danny Boyle can't be ruled out completely ;-)?

Good job @Gustav_Graves. Where is a rubbing hands emoticon when I need one? Now seriously, he's an amazing director but if he gets the job I hope he leaves out his usual quick cuts which I usually love but don't fit much into Bond.
    Sandy wrote:
    quick cuts

? :-$
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 2,081
    Well... just because Danny Boyle ruled himself out, doesn't mean he definitely wouldn't do it. He said it's too big a production for him, but he did do the Olympics ceremony thing, which was hardly small. The producers can also be very persuasive - just think of Daniel Craig, he said no, and look how that turned out. ;) Boyle likes Bond, and liked Skyfall, and has talked to Sam Mendes about it, so knows the experience was positive and creative for him. Many people - and as far as I understood also Danny Boyle - are suspicious of doing Bond because they think they will be badly limited creatively in a big production. Then you get people like Sam and Javier agree to it after being told that they will get to be creative, and come on the other side saying it was so much better than they initially dared expect.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I don't remember lots of quick cuts in Slumdog Millionaire ... trying to think what else I have seen he has done ...
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 1,215
    I think people are reading too far into it. He's said multiple times he's not interested, I think Barbara just meant that he has the ability to do a Bond film IF he wanted to do one. I'd be a VERY happy fan if he chose to accept though.
    I think people are reading too far into it. He's said multiple times he's not interested, I think Barbara just meant that he has the ability to do a Bond film IF he wanted to do one. I'd be a VERY happy fan if he chose to accept though.

I remember how Sam Mendes got the director's chair for Bond 23. He and Daniel Craig were just having a coffee somewhere in NYC, when Daniel popped this up: "Hey Sam, do you wanna be a Bond director??". Everything that followed speaks for itself no :-)?
  • I think people are reading too far into it. He's said multiple times he's not interested, I think Barbara just meant that he has the ability to do a Bond film IF he wanted to do one. I'd be a VERY happy fan if he chose to accept though.

I remember how Sam Mendes got the director's chair for Bond 23. He and Daniel Craig were just having a coffee somewhere in NYC, when Daniel popped this up: "Hey Sam, do you wanna be a Bond director??". Everything that followed speaks for itself no :-)?

But Sam hadn't repeatedly stated that he didn't want to do one. In fact, Sam stated that a big budget actioner was the kind of thing he needed at the time to wake himself up. Boyle said that's exactly the thing he DIDN'T want. Regardless I'd be really careful about signing someone who has claimed to have no interest in directing Bond. They've really got to be all in, because it's a big committment.

But Sam hadn't repeatedly stated that he didn't want to do one. In fact, Sam stated that a big budget actioner was the kind of thing he needed at the time to wake himself up. Boyle said that's exactly the thing he DIDN'T want. Regardless I'd be really careful about signing someone who has claimed to have no interest in directing Bond. They've really got to be all in, because it's a big committment.

You underestimate the power of conversation :-). Perhaps Barbara set some things straight with Danny Boyle :-).
    Gustav, it was Hugh Jackman's birthday party, and I very much doubt anyone was drinking coffee. ;)

Anyway, we'll see... I do hope the "soon" will be very soon. Not that I'm impatient or anything... :D
  • I think people are reading too far into it. He's said multiple times he's not interested, I think Barbara just meant that he has the ability to do a Bond film IF he wanted to do one. I'd be a VERY happy fan if he chose to accept though.

You underestimate the power of conversation :-). Perhaps Barbara set some things straight with Danny Boyle :-).

Maybe, maybe not. I'm just saying that I'm not that convinced because it seems like they're blowing up a small comment Barbara made. It's the media and it's their job to make a story out of everything, so I'm taking it with a very large grain of salt.
    ^^ Certainly. There's no reason to take that story too seriously. But I already thought earlier what I said above.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I don't remember lots of quick cuts in Slumdog Millionaire ... trying to think what else I have seen he has done ...

I didn't explain myself correctly, low frame-rate editing would be a more suitable description but I couldn't for the life of me remember it when I wrote the comment.
  • RC7RC7

Regards Boyle, there are two ways of looking at it. What he said was a statement of fact, or he realised that flagging up even a slight bit of interest would snowball into a media onslaught about how he 'is' the next Bond director. Boyle doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who'd want to be caught in a media circus, particularly while he has other commitments.

I imagine Boyle as a Brit has been to that place many a time, the place where you remember Bond as an intrinsic part of your childhood. I think 99% of Brit directors would find that sentimentality hard to resist. It's your chance to be part of 'that'. That cultural behemoth you watched in awe as a kid.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Isn't there a video where Boyle talks about not liking having millions of pounds to spend when directing films and so he wants to stick to smaller budget films? ...
    for some reason i'd have a bad feeling if Boyle were to get the nod but id get behind him all the same.
    Here a video from happy chaps Michael and Babs :-D. So wunderful to see them in such a cheerful mood. Michael's favourite cult film: 'Night Of The Living Dead'. Barbara's favourite cult film: 'Pulp Fiction' :-D

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Like I said in the Craig appreciation thread a couple of days ago, after seeing that video where the interviewer asks Craig about Bond, Craig's response stating that they're just rumours and coupling that with how many figures in the industry deny any involvement with projects only to later find out that they were; Boyle being announced as the director wouldn't surprise me. I was just recounting his body of work and his resume is extremely versatile and I think a Bond film under his belt and what he can deliver could be amazing. I'll be checking out Trance tomorrow, it looks pretty damn good.
  • A c/c from a post I wrote last week about Boyle, still from the last issue of Empire :

"Boyle is surprised how much he liked Skyfall. He's such a traditionalist when it comes to Bond - Sean Connery's his man. (...) "I really enjoyed it". [About the Olympics bit] : "We did them a favour, but they did us a favour as well. It was mutual. Barbara Broccoli was very good to us, because they were right in the middle of it. In fact they were behind. It looks easy now it is such a success, but they needed money". Mendes admitted to Boyle that the budget was tight. Foreign locations had to be scrapped, limitations were being enforced on 007's new director. Boyle could sympathise, but he needs restrictions. "You do better work, and he did a really good job of it. I was really proud, because Naomie Harris was in it. He rang me up about Naomie and asked about her (...) The most wonderful thing for me is that Craig is such a good actor" Boyle gives the words a trademark intensity, speaking in italic."

So since his most widely publicized reason not do Bond is that the budget are too large, you could image a promise the budget will be even more scaled down than for SF + lots of creative control + working with actors he knows and likes, could be enough to change his mind.
    ^^ That's how I see it, too. If lots of money is what he's worried about, well... just limit the budget, and he'll be fine. ;)
    He likes Bond, as well as Craig, and obviously Harris (at least), he already did a bit with the producers and was happy with them, and he has done big production before, and has been chatting with Mendes about the whole thing.
    i will take this with a huge grain of salt till otherwise proven I don't mind Boyle but he isn't my top choice