The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited July 2013 Posts: 11,139
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I assume in January Craig will move on to working on Bond 24 for filming as soon as possible? He has nothing else planned?

I don't get that impression. Mendes coming on board meant that he had time to complete other commitments and take a little break before principle photography commences on Bond 24. I'm guessing and to also allow for a healthier post production schedule, that Bond 24 may start shooting around the summer of next year.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 6,601
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I assume in January Craig will move on to working on Bond 24 for filming as soon as possible? He has nothing else planned?

I don't think, they will start any earlier then Oct. at the most.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2013 Posts: 13,350
    doubleoego wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

I don't get that impression. Mendes coming on board meant that he had time to complete other commitments and take a little break before principle photography commences on Bond 24. I'm guessing and to also allow for a healthier post production schedule, that Bond 24 may start shooting around the summer of next year.

But it will be straight on to the film? There isn't another project Craig will undertake between the play and start of filming? It seems like the time would be best spent working on Bond, is all I'm trying to say.

To clarify, after The Betrayal what is Craig's next project? Is it Bond 24 or something else?
    Samuel001 wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

But it will be straight on to the film? There isn't another project Craig will undertake between the play and start of filming? It seems like the time would be best spent working on Bond, is all I'm trying to say.

To clarify, after The Betrayal what is Craig's next project? Is it Bond 24 or something else?

We don't know that yet, Sam. He probably was waiting it out until he knew, WHEN 24 would start filming. One of the lesser aspects of being Bond.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

But it will be straight on to the film? There isn't another project Craig will undertake between the play and start of filming? It seems like the time would be best spent working on Bond, is all I'm trying to say

Oh for sure. If Craig has no other commitments then i agree his efforts will be geared towards Bond 24 i.e. hitting the gym, tweaking the script, design fittings with Tom Ford and essentially getting involved with all the behind the scenes stuff to have everything ready once the cameras eventually roll.
    OK, thanks for the answers all. I'll keep my eyes peeled. Depending on what he does next may give us an idea of when filming starts, likely November again. Hopefully earlier. Who knows?
    He has a gap between January (when the play ends) and Oct. IMO. I hope and think, he will do a film, as he presented himself with a break of almost a year, when he dropped out of Monuments Men.
    I'd assume with all the talk Bond directors make regarding post production that filming would begin before October, probably August/September. Just have to wait and see.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    It's nice when people you admire share a taste with yourself, Craig being a Radiohead fan and also maybe a Pink Floyd one as well, that man certainly has taste.
    Looks good!

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/theater/bond_market_shows_good_return_YpaMMusAKtEwXDuFxiCNMN

Bond market shows good return

It’s only summer, but we can already crown this season’s box- office champ.

Cue the gun barrel and the surf-rock guitar riff: 007’s the man with the golden box office.

Tickets for the upcoming Broadway revival of “Betrayal,” starring Daniel Craig and his wife, Rachel Weisz, have been on sale for just two weeks, and the take is reaching $5 million.

No other new show is even close. Sources say the Harold Pinter play will likely be sold out by the time it plays its first performance Oct. 1.

Directed by Mike Nichols, “Betrayal” opens Nov. 3 at Nichols’ favorite Broadway theater, the Barrymore, and will run just 14 weeks.

This is Craig’s second go-around as a box-office dynamo. When he teamed with Hugh Jackman in “A Steady Rain,” they grossed more than $1 million every week. The cop drama was pretty dreary, but that didn’t dent the profits: It recouped its $2.5 million costs in a little over a month and went on to make another $2 million or so in profits.

“Betrayal” appears to be on track to make even more.

One of Pinter’s best-known — and most accessible — plays, it’s about a couple whose marriage comes apart when she has an affair with her husband’s best friend. The brilliant gimmick is that story is told in reverse chronological order, a sort of “Merrily We Roll Along” for the brainy set.

In this production, the best friend will be played by Rafe Spall, an up-and-coming British actor making his Broadway debut.

“Betrayal” is almost always a hit. The first production, in 1978, opened at the National Theatre and was a sellout for months. It starred Michael Gambon, Daniel Massey and Penelope Wilton.

On Broadway, the play ran nearly 200 performances in 1980 and helped launch Raul Julia’s career. His co-stars were Blythe Danner and Roy Scheider.

There was a fine revival at the Roundabout in 2000 starring Juliette Binoche (gorgeous), Liev Schreiber (intense) and John Slattery (silver-haired and “Mad Man”-ish).

“Betrayal” is autobiographical. As Pinter admitted to critic Michael Billington, he based it on his seven-year affair with Joan Bakewell, a popular TV personality in England. She was married, at the time, to Pinter’s friend, producer Michael Bakewell.

Pinter was married to actress Vivien Merchant. She, too, was having an affair. What a randy set of Brits!

Nichols, who won a Tony last year for his revival of “Death of a Salesman,” led the actors in a workshop earlier this summer. He likes to go through the play and analyze the scenes with the actors, so that everybody’s on the same page when actual rehearsals begin.

I heard the workshop went extremely well, and Nichols may be on track to pick up yet another Tony — his 10th.

“Betrayal,” by the way, will go head-to-head with another Pinter play this fall — “No Man’s Land,” starring Patrick Stewart and Ian McKel len. It’s a lot murkier than “Betrayal,” but it casts a creepy spell.

A Pinter feast in the fall: Serious-minded theatergoers have a lot to look forward to.

My show-queen credentials have been revoked.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Great news for Daniel, Rachel and all involved. It sounds like it will be a great critical and financial success.
    Exclusive: Andrew Kevin Walker Rewriting ‘Dragon Tattoo’ Sequel; David Fincher's ‘20,000 Leagues’ Is Dead

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/exclusive-andrew-kevin-walker-rewriting-dragon-tattoo-sequel-david-finchers-20-000-leagues-is-dead-

Interesting that Pitt, Craig and Damon were approached for Sea and that none agreed to do it.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, I am happy the Dragon Tattoo sequel is moving forward. Do we know if they are keeping the same title as the book, "The Girl Who Played With Fire" ?
    Nice to have an update but the news that Kevin is rewriting is over a month old.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/rooney-mara-signs-with-management-360/#more-514989

Not a good move on Indiewire's part as presenting this as new. Personally though, I think this film's time has passed. It wouldn't be out until 2016 at the earliest, for too long of a gap.

20,000 Leagues will never get going, it is stuck in development hell.

Let's hope Craig only has a small window to shoot the film in, that should mean a lot of 2014 in spent on Bond 24, which is hopefully starting in the Summer.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I can't see the sequel to Dragon Tattoo being that close to the book at this point. Why rewrites? I mean, they already spoiled one of the biggest twists to the second book in the first film anyway.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Nice to have an update but the news that Kevin is rewriting is over a month old.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/rooney-mara-signs-with-management-360/#more-514989

Not a good move on Indiewire's part as presenting this as new. Personally though, I think this film's time has passed. It wouldn't be out until 2016 at the earliest, for too long of a gap.

20,000 Leagues will never get going, it is stuck in development hell.

Let's hope Craig only has a small window to shoot the film in, that should mean a lot of 2014 in spent on Bond 24, which is hopefully starting in the Summer.

Yes, you are right, its not new. Why do you want them to start shooting next summer already? That doesn't bring the film to us any earlier? I hope, they won't start until "normal" November. I want DC to be able to make another film in between.

But IF they shoot it early next year and its NOT Fincher, they will be able to meet a November or so release schedule. The momentum of the film has passed, yes, but I am sure, with some decent marketing, they can bring back the interest.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Exclusive: Andrew Kevin Walker Rewriting ‘Dragon Tattoo’ Sequel; David Fincher's ‘20,000 Leagues’ Is Dead

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/exclusive-andrew-kevin-walker-rewriting-dragon-tattoo-sequel-david-finchers-20-000-leagues-is-dead-

Interesting that Pitt, Craig and Damon were approached for Sea and that none agreed to do it.
    Shame about the scrapping of 20.000 Leagues. I´d have payed to watch that.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Real shame that TGWPWF isn't moving along with Fincher and the cast. It's one of those things where it's best to get out a sequel sooner rather than later if they plan on doing it, but even now, the possibility of it is a long way out.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Real shame that TGWPWF isn't moving along with Fincher and the cast. It's one of those things where it's best to get out a sequel sooner rather than later if they plan on doing it, but even now, the possibility of it is a long way out.

Where did you hear that? As far as I know, Dan, Rooney and David aren't out of the picture yet, unless I missed something in the news.
    The "facts" on it seem to be, that they are rewriting the script and that it is unsure, if they are waiting for Fincher. Reports of DC not being in the sequel were dismissed by Rooney some time ago. So, for the sequel its Daniel and Rooney and ?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, the opening of the 2nd book is kickass and made for the cinematic experience. They could easily do it as a PTS even, just showcasing Salander. I'd love that. Hopefully the rewrite is a good thing. I am still interested for sure.
    Germanlady wrote:
    The "facts" on it seem to be, that they are rewriting the script and that it is unsure, if they are waiting for Fincher. Reports of DC not being in the sequel were dismissed by Rooney some time ago. So, for the sequel its Daniel and Rooney and ?
    It's the Hollywood Reporter that's reporting that Fincher's connection to the Dragon Tattoo sequel is all but dead. Fincher is planning to shoot Gone Girl this fall, Craig is going to be on Broadway from October to January in the play Betrayal, so that leaves only a short amount of time in early 2014 for the two to get together, and this is assuming the director isn’t bogged down on post-production for Gone Girl. If they can’t come together in that time frame, then Craig is off to do Bond 24, and Sony has to consider if they want to hold off on Girl Who Played with Fire until 2015 with a possible 2016 release date.

But the Fincher Bond connection is still there as Rosamund Pike is said to be the latest contender for Gone Girl.
    But there WILL be post production and the slow mo way, in which Fincher is doing everything, he will need more then half of the year. I doubt, they will wait for him, even tough, they have to pay him never mind what. Wait even longer, will be more costly.

Its not an all consuming role, where he is in every frame. He could easily film Tattoo until July, have some time off and start Bond. With all the rest he has had now, he will probably be eager to do some work and won't mind.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Why do you want them to start shooting next summer already? That doesn't bring the film to us any earlier? I hope, they won't start until "normal" November. I want DC to be able to make another film in between.

They'll likely be ready to start earlier than we think and the sooner filming begins, the greater chance of another film only two years later. I don't think a film before Bond 24 is on the cards for Craig. I think this time will be spent shaping the script and other aspects of the production.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    Why do you want them to start shooting next summer already? That doesn't bring the film to us any earlier? I hope, they won't start until "normal" November. I want DC to be able to make another film in between.

They'll likely be ready to start earlier than we think and the sooner filming begins, the greater chance of another film only two years later. I don't think a film before Bond 24 is on the cards for Craig. I think this time will be spent shaping the script and other aspects of the production.

Well, I disagree. I THINK and HOPE its very likely, he will do another film in between. Also Sam, he is NOT needed for all the pre-production stuff. We know, he hangs in there a lot, but many of these discussions and suggestions can be had on the phone. Like he was shaping up costumes etc for Tattoo whilst in the middle of the desert filming (unfortunatelly) C&A. I assume, same will be the case here - most likely.But I don*t have a crystal ball either, so time will tell.
    I can't see Dan finding any time to shoot TGWPWF between the play and Bond 24. Blomkvist is a huge part of the second book, while Lisbeth takes a back seat for most of the action, so his presence would need to be much longer than a few weeks on set. There are also tons of new characters to cast which will require a lot of time by itself. I just can't see it happening.
    Why on earth? He could start end of January way into June. What's the problem?
    Germanlady wrote:
    Why on earth? He could start end of January way into June. What's the problem?

I believe it is going to be a more extensive process than you think. Filming may not even start until months after Dan is freed from the play and judging by the script rewrites going on and then the added pre-production time that Fincher is going to need before cameras roll, I don't think Dan will be able to squeeze it in before his commitments for Bond 24 begin. Dan may get involved the moment he leaves the play in January, dealing with the scripting and casting with Sam and Co. clear up until they begin shooting.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 6,601
    Oh, if Fincher were on board, you are right, but with a "normal" director things will go the normal way of 4 or so months of shooting time. Like I said, you can shoot a movie and still be involved with another. I doubt, Daniel - after 11/2 year of off time from filming would NOT want to do something in between. And there is lots of time. But however that will be, 1 year from now, l we will be know for sure.