Sean Connery set to join fellow James Bond actors at the Oscars

Comments

• edited January 2013 Posts: 6,601
    Thanks. What you basically say is, that he was/is a man, who could take care of himself in real life and this is what I am talking about. He is not a sissy in real life either. he comes across as a man and this is what made his Bond quintessential and successful. Of course, you can PLAY cool, you don't have to be a great actor to do this. We all do it in every day life. But exuding the "man" vibe is nothing you can do, if you are not one. (You get, what I mean) Having a penis doesn't make you a mans man. So I am still convinced that what we liked about his Bond is mainly Conery.

Anyway, I like his portayals, because these raw men are rare. Too many wanabees around, who never quite hit the ball out of the parc.
  • Germanlady wrote:
    Of course, you can PLAY cool, you don't have to be a great actor to do this.
    I strongly disagree, I think it's easier to play a maniac or any character with strong characteristics. When you're playing cool, you're always on the line. Compare his performance in Goldfinger and in Diamonds Are Forever for instance. On the latter, he IS on autopilot, ok, but you clearly feel it ! He's supposed to have just lost his beloved wife and is searching for her killer, and he feels like looking for a lost umbrella...

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Germanlady wrote:
    Since he detests the Bond part in his life so much (his problem), why would he want to present himself, have people cheer at him for exactly this role? Doesn't make sense from his point of view, no? To be honest (and get a heavy beating for it as usual) what did he do that was so extraordinary? He did, what most actors do - he gave his best and did a good job. From what I saw of him and that's a lot, he was mostly himself and was lucky enough to perfectly fit what was required of Bond. He ain't that great an actor really.

I think Sean loves the role. He just got angry because of both the series fall into over the top action and also the lack of money he was being given to play Bond. And, Sean can't act?! Have you seen The Hill or The Untouchables?
    Coming to think of it, Name of the Rose was good. Didn't say, he is bad - not at all, just not a heavyweight. For me, he is just fine, when he is his manly self. Maybe its a girly thing.
    I have seen many films over the years, just don't know the english names of them to compare, what you mean.

I think, he sees Bond as a hinderniss to greater roles (some of which he got in the end) and blames the part for that. No, I don't think, he loves the role.

I think Sean loves the role. He just got angry because of both the series fall into over the top action and also the lack of money he was being given to play Bond. And, Sean can't act?! Have you seen The Hill or The Untouchables?

He got angry that his performance made for an iconic character and that Harry & Cubby reaped large profits of which he saw very little untill DAF. I do not believe he had any problem with the direction the movies went that is a modern excuse for folks who want that as an excuse for the modern direction which would not have done very well in the seventies/eighties.
    Had Harry or Cubby made Connery the partnership offer he was seeking we would have had a few more 007 movies by Connery himself.

If you consider how much the later 007 performers did get for playing the part SC did indeed get a small salary. And what he did get as salary for DAF he gave to charity, so calling him a tight and cheap Scotsman is also not right.

If EON want SC at the Oscars they should make him an offer he cannot refuse. Otherwise I do not mind if he does not show his face. If however he does come out of some sort of loyalty I would be over the moon, and I am sure the audience would go nuts. He is after all the moviestar of all the 007 performers.

Maybe, just maybe - all of those, who think, they will go nuts for him, might wish afterwards, he hadn't shown up. What if all that's left is a weak old man? Do you really wanna see that? Why not keep him in mind as he was. Maybe that would honour him more.
  • SaintMark wrote:
    I do not believe he had any problem with the direction the movies went that is a modern excuse for folks
    As early as 1965, he was saying (on that very same French TV interview for The Hill I talked before), that Bond was now too big, too heavily promoted, that it would saturate the audiences. The opportunity to star in The Hill thanks to his Bond role was for him a way to "compensate for these movies" (his exact words).

SaintMark wrote:
    I do not believe he had any problem with the direction the movies went that is a modern excuse for folks
    As early as 1965, he was saying (on that very same French TV interview for The Hill I talked before), that Bond was now too big, too heavily promoted, that it would saturate the audiences. The opportunity to star in The Hill thanks to his Bond role was for him a way to "compensate for these movies" (his exact words).

Which says little about his personal likes, I think he was then under stress for losing so much of his privacy due to his popularity.

And yes I think that if Connery shows his face at the oscars to honour 007, he will be the one they are most impressed with. After all he is a Hollywood legend...........And rightly so.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Germanlady wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    Huh? Connery had nothing. Terrence Young had to nurture him into a gentleman. So many people assume it's easy to be Bond and I suppose it could be seen as a compliment because Sean made it look easy but that was down to skill abd hard work on his part.

Do you have any source material? If that was so, I would be fine with it. I know, he was working different jobs and was at the marine for a short time and then the body bulding. But honestly, I believe, that what made his Bond good was something, you can not learn. You either have it or not.

It's been largely documented how Connery always had a presence but in terms of pulling off the suave, sophistication and gentleman qualities, Terrence Young had to "school" and nurture Connery. In fact, cinematic Bond is really Terrence Young's creation. Look to the dvd extras of the early Connery movies. Young even made Connery go to sleep in his Saville Row suits. Connery may not have been the best actor in the world but he was still a fine actor in general and an incredible Bond who made the role look naturally easy and that there is a testament to the dedication and skill he applied to making the role so iconic.
    cwl007 wrote:
    Dalton would show up,as would sir Roger as there is a lot of goodwill there,both have gone on record in praise of Skyfall etc. Mr lazenby would turn up for anything Bond related quite honestly. I think Pierce would too, BECAUSE HE CAN PUT THE PAST BEHIND HIM, unlike Connery who is still bitter. Having said that does anyone remember Connery taking part in an ITV 30 year Bond special in 1992, I' m not aware anything else has happened since then to upset him, it was all before '92. Also if I was him I would go to the Oscars, because if he did he would steal the show. So just go Sean, stop being miserable.

Sean's been participating in Bond interviews all the way up to 2008! He did the interviews for the Special Editions - that was probably around 2000, maybe? He also voiced FRWL the game in 2006. So it seems strange that now he would be "snubbing" EON.

My theory is that Sean is NOT snubbing EON, contrary to the tabloids. He is simply in retirement and hasn't made ANY public appearances for the past 2 years, except for one Stock Exchange ceremony, so why would he make an exception for Bond? The press likes to blow these things up, but have we had any evidence that Sean is in fact still holding a grudge? It's all speculation. The only official word from his press agent is that he is retired and not doing and public events. End of story.

So it behooves me to think he's in any mood to come out of retirement for the Academy Awards. But you never know...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Germanlady wrote:
    Maybe, just maybe - all of those, who think, they will go nuts for him, might wish afterwards, he hadn't shown up. What if all that's left is a weak old man? Do you really wanna see that? Why not keep him in mind as he was. Maybe that would honour him more.

I don't care. People that think even legends don't age are sadly mistaken. But also, Sean may be getting up there, but he is still the mesmerizing and intimidating presence he has always been. I remember when he was immaculately honored by AFI a few years ago, and as he made his way on stage he danced to the sound of Scottish bagpipes. He still has the mobility, but anyone who expects a man of his age to be youthful needs to look at reality.

If by some miracle this Bond get together does happen, I will be so overwhelmed I won't know what to do with myself. As it has been said: This is likely, so very sadly the last occasion we could finally get all 6 Bond actors together on one stage. To think about Sean, George, Roger, Tim, Pierce and Dan all side by side on stage as the Bond theme plays is the very definition of legendary spectacle.
    JBFan626 wrote:
    cwl007 wrote:
    Dalton would show up,as would sir Roger as there is a lot of goodwill there,both have gone on record in praise of Skyfall etc. Mr lazenby would turn up for anything Bond related quite honestly. I think Pierce would too, BECAUSE HE CAN PUT THE PAST BEHIND HIM, unlike Connery who is still bitter. Having said that does anyone remember Connery taking part in an ITV 30 year Bond special in 1992, I' m not aware anything else has happened since then to upset him, it was all before '92. Also if I was him I would go to the Oscars, because if he did he would steal the show. So just go Sean, stop being miserable.

Sean's been participating in Bond interviews all the way up to 2008! He did the interviews for the Special Editions - that was probably around 2000, maybe? He also voiced FRWL the game in 2006. So it seems strange that now he would be "snubbing" EON.

My theory is that Sean is NOT snubbing EON, contrary to the tabloids. He is simply in retirement and hasn't made ANY public appearances for the past 2 years, except for one Stock Exchange ceremony, so why would he make an exception for Bond? The press likes to blow these things up, but have we had any evidence that Sean is in fact still holding a grudge? It's all speculation. The only official word from his press agent is that he is retired and not doing and public events. End of story.

So it behooves me to think he's in any mood to come out of retirement for the Academy Awards. But you never know...

Sean never did interviews for the Special Edition DVDs. One of my film school professors produced the "Inside" documentaries for the DVDs. All of Sean's interviews are taken from a 1992 interview or a couple earlier ones. They BEGGED him to do a new interview but he refused. Then when the FRWL game came up, my professor said what they SHOULD have done was include a clause to do a new interview in addition to voicing the game. Would have been nice to have new interviews on the Ultimate Editions a year later
    Thanks for the correction on the SE's. He did do the Southbank show though in '08, I believe is when it aired.

But again, it's still speculation that he is still holding a grudge. On the E.o.N. documentary, Barbara says Sean and Cubby had a phonecall before Cubby's passing.

Even with that said, he still did interviews in 92, so why would he all of sudden have a grudge post '92? Reminds me of the Nikki Van der Zyl issue.
    Sean did the very recent South Bank interviews, and talked about being Bond and praised Dan.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    They had to see him for that though, Connery didn't travel.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    They had to see him for that though, Connery didn't travel.

I was just making the case that Sean is open to Bond interviews and can look back at the role fondly.
  • Not to be rude, but what real benefit is there to seeing all the actors together on stage? Rarely do reunions work out to audience satisfaction in terms of quality, letting alone the nice sentimental value. Will it be for charity or a good cause like human rights as a sort of tribute to the Bond girl from SF? That'd be kinda cool but instead it's for an event whose members in the Academy voted against SF for best supporting actress. Let DC run the show and give us more of is own take on the character since we had to wait 4 yrs for SF.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 2,081
    ^^ Nice to know I'm not the only one not exactly excited by the idea. I'm more worried about the possibility (if it exists) of a forced, awkward "reunion" (wrong word, actually, since some of them have never even met each other) than about it not happening. I suppose it might work, but I'm not at all sure about it. Sounds like a weird catwalk parade to me - and not in a good way.
  • Yeah, quality always first! DC shouldn't be treated like he hasn't passed the connery litmus test...he did that in CR.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I just think it would be wonderful to see all of the Bond actors, Connery to Craig, on stage at one time. Fifty years of 007 culminating into one event, with each and every man being brought together for the first time ever to finally meet. It doesn't have to be much, it would just be great to see them up there together during the James Bond tribute.
    Sean did the very recent South Bank interviews, and talked about being Bond and praised Dan.

Watching him in this hurt me, because he was really weak (his voice and all). He was seen last year at a tournament or something like that and appeared to be better, but its known, that he has health problems for some time now. If I like somebody and obviously many here dolike him, I don't have fun watching that person being a shadow of his former self - even though this is what age does to us. But why would be put himself up to that? Let people remember him the weay he was.

@Brady - there was not much presence left in that South Bank interview.
    Some people really astound me. SEAN IS OLD. He is obviously not going to be a huge machine gun totting hero storming an enemy compound, shooting shells at enemies while dishing out direct hits to sentry towers with a grenade launcher.

Why is it so hard for some to believe that Sean could... *gasp* AGE?! Unbelievable, I know, but if I can accept it, everybody bloody well can too.

Remember him as he was? His former self? What is all this? Sean is and always has been Sean. He hasn't changed aside from his physical looks, something that we will all experience an aging of as our lives go on. And how can you ever be a former part of your own self when you are in fact, always you? This crap makes no sense to me, but if you want to go along with that ticket, so be it.
    Brady, you made it your goal to absolutely negate everything I say. By now, I have the impression, it doesn't matter WHAT I say anymore. Let it go - just a bit.
    I stand by what I said and it makes perfect sense to me. It nothing against aging though. If you want to understand it that way, so be it.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Germanlady wrote:
    Brady, you made it your goal to absolutely negate everything I say. By now, I have the impression, it doesn't matter WHAT I say anymore. Let it go - just a bit.
    I stand by what I said and it makes perfect sense to me. It nothing against aging though. If you want to understand it that way, so be it.

You said your main problems were that you want to know him as he was, and you couldn't do that because he looks weaker, how he was a "shadow of his former self". How doesn't that have something to do with aging? I am just trying to make sense of whatever you are saying, but it is labyrinthine.
    I think, what I mean is very easy to understand. Not agreeing is something else and you are welcome to do that.
    Germanlady wrote:
    I think, what I mean is very easy to understand. Not agreeing is something else and you are welcome to do that.
    Please explain then, because all I see are comments revolving around Sean aging, something you say you aren't reflecting in those statements. I'm only trying to understand.
    Sorry Brady, but there is nothing to add. Lets just leave it at that. I could only repeat myself.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I'm with @Brady here. Yes he's old, sorry to upset you but he's not going to look like Bond forever. I'd still really like him to show up if he can and when I think of him I'll still think of him smoking at the card table in DN, not him being in his 80s at the Oscars.

Not sure why seeing somebody aged would ruin your image of him forever.
    Let DC run the show and give us more of is own take on the character since we had to wait 4 yrs for SF.

So basically you don't want any of the others to show up incase they steal your precious Daniel Craigs spotlight? This is basically the last chance for this to happen, stop being so selfish :P

And how can he give it his own take on the character? It's not a film, he's attending an awards ceremony ffs.
  • Imagine what it would be like at 80yrs old to be aaked to do this. RM is a good sport but he would probably hopae this to be a
    Germanlady wrote:
    A shadow of himself. It's true... I know fans this hurts but let's honor SC by
    Watching him in this hurt me, because he was really weak (his voice and all). He was seen last year at a tournament or something like that and appeared to be better, but its known, that he has health problems for some time now. If I like somebody and obviously many here dolike him, I don't have fun watching that person being a shadow of his former self - even though this is what age does to us. But why would be put himself up to that? Let people remember him the weay he was.

@Brady - there was not much presence left in that South Bank interview.

I'm not taking sides here but I'd like to comvey that it's true: SC is a shadow of hiself but we learn as we age that happier poeple don't focus on their bodies bei g bent. At the same rate, if SC is resigned and retired as he has been, let's honor him by remembering his Bond days instead of dragging tge ill guy out like this. I kno it's hard for many to see the aging even for the self. Lets respect.
    Germanlady wrote:

That's how I will remember Sean too, @thelivingroyale.

Just because he inevitably is this:
    o-SEAN-CONNERY-570.jpg?4

Doesn't change the fact that he was and always will be THIS to millions:
    Dr+No+James+Bond+Sean+Connery.jpg

But, enough on the subject.