Sean Connery set to join fellow James Bond actors at the Oscars

Comments

• AliAli
    Quantum07 wrote:
    I didn't know he only made 2million for his entire career as bond. Dang... that seems like nothing compared to todays standards.

On the other hand, how many lucrative film roles was he offered on the back of his fame as Bond? I reckon the other 5 should do it anyway and it will be very obvious who the party pooper is....
  • Do you know that as soon as May 1965 Connery gave a TV interview in France in which it was clear Bond was already more a job to do "every 14 months" than a real pleasure. He said that shooting "The Hill" was a way to compensate for "these films".

It was a very sincere interview, but with still the 60s "values" (he said he was a violent guy, that he already took part in some fight, that women should not try be like men etc).
    Ali wrote:
    Quantum07 wrote:
    I didn't know he only made 2million for his entire career as bond. Dang... that seems like nothing compared to todays standards.

On the other hand, how many lucrative film roles was he offered on the back of his fame as Bond? I reckon the other 5 should do it anyway and it will be very obvious who the party pooper is....

But on the other hand he created Bond, James Bond due to his rugged looks and catlike movements. The franchise does own him a huge debt as well, a lot more than he owns the folks from EON. imho

Samuel001 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I'll believe it when I see it.

Same. Until then, fingers crossed for something.

I agree wholeheartily. You both are spot on.
  • SaintMark wrote:
    Ali wrote:
    Quantum07 wrote:

But on the other hand he created Bond, James Bond due to his rugged looks and catlike movements. The franchise does own him a huge debt as well, a lot more than he owns the folks from EON. imho

I think it's balanced out.

It would be nice for Connery to show up and do events, etc, but he doesn't owe EON anything because he starred in what are still overall thought of as the best in the series and without him Bond might not be around today, so he can do what he wants.

He should've been paid more but I think EON don't owe him anything because without Bond he wouldn't have a film career.
  • AliAli
    His reluctance is very similar to Harrison Ford trying to avoid anything to do with Star Wars despite it being the series that turned him from a bit part actor to a star.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Dalton would show up,as would sir Roger as there is a lot of goodwill there,both have gone on record in praise of Skyfall etc. Mr lazenby would turn up for anything Bond related quite honestly. I think Pierce would too, BECAUSE HE CAN PUT THE PAST BEHIND HIM, unlike Connery who is still bitter. Having said that does anyone remember Connery taking part in an ITV 30 year Bond special in 1992, I' m not aware anything else has happened since then to upset him, it was all before '92. Also if I was him I would go to the Oscars, because if he did he would steal the show. So just go Sean, stop being miserable.
    "In other words not gonna happen"

Nobody believed in Rocky Balboa either , said he was just a bum and never had a shot in hell......well , never say never :D
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Tracy wrote:
    "In other words not gonna happen"

Nobody believed in Rocky Balboa either , said he was just a bum and never had a shot in hell......well , never say never :D

That's also a movie and nowhere close to reality.
  • AliAli
    cwl007 wrote:
    So just go Sean, stop being miserable.

He's from Edinburgh. The east coasters are genetically miserable (from a Glaswegian viewpoint...).
    :D
  • That's also a movie

The greatest movie of all time (*)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    That's also a movie

Oh, is that a track for Good Will Hunting or Casablanca? I hadn't noticed.
  • That's also a movie

I said best film of all time, not predictable, boring Matt Damon flick and.... Well I haven't seen Casablanca so I can't describe what I think of that.

Anyway my point is, Rocky is bloody awesome.
    That's also a movie

I said best film of all time, not predictable, boring Matt Damon flick and.... Well I haven't seen Casablanca so I can't describe what I think of that.

We obviously didn't see the same film, but I know you aren't one for deeply moving and emotive character studies with a high calibre cast of actors to fill out the powerful message of a young man who is haunted by his past and unsure of his place in the future. Of course there aren't any explosions to keep your interested, but your loss. I can imagine your tastes have been dulled after Rocky and Rambo with Stallone.

By the way...You haven't seen Casablanca?!

Tell me, how have you survived on Mars?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Going off topic here peeps.
    Let's get back on track here.

As much as he likes to distance himself from Bond, Connery would not be the actor he became without Bond. Despite his long runnning feud with Broccoli and Saltzman (both of whom are deceased), he should at least (imo) aknowledge the series for helping build his career.
    As a member of the Academy I think he will make an appearance at the Oscar tribute to 50 years of Bond.
    I'd lose a little respect for him if he turned his nose up yet again. This is not going to happen again.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    That's also a movie

We obviously didn't see the same film, but I know you aren't one for deeply moving and emotive character studies with a high calibre cast of actors to fill out the powerful message of a young man who is haunted by his past and unsure of his place in the future. Of course there aren't any explosions to keep your interested, but your loss. I can imagine your tastes have been dulled after Rocky and Rambo with Stallone.

By the way...You haven't seen Casablanca?!

Tell me, how have you survived on Mars?

I didn't like Good Will Hunting, no need to have a go at me for it. You've made it clear that you haven't seen Rocky (absoloutely nothing like Rambo in any way, shape or form).

I don't need explosions to keep me entertained and I thought that Good Will Hunting had some great performances (especially from Williams), but I thought it was very predictable and boring.

I'm all for moving films and character studies as long as they can entertain me and Good Will Hunting doesn't do that.

EDIT- Sorry for going off topic again Benny, missed your post.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    They wouldn't tell us even if it was!

quote]

That's right,why spoil a surprise.
    Samuel001 wrote:

I think they would, for the sake of ratings.
    You know, he appeared at the Oscars the year after he got his Oscar. He appeared at that time on stage with Michael Caine. Suddenly, out comes Roger Moore, and the audience became giddy with glee to see the 2 longest serving Bonds on stage together. Rog had a beard and Michael asked him, "who are you?" Rog looked and smiled at Sean; then looked back at Michael and said, "My name is Bond". Michael responded, "You can't be Bond; he's (pointing to Sean) Bond".

The point is that if Sean was willing to play along, then, about his Bond roots, why wouldn't he go to the Oscars for a once in a lifetime get together with the other Bonds? I'd like to see it happen, but won't get my hopes up.
    Ellis wrote:
    You know, he appeared at the Oscars the year after he got his Oscar. He appeared at that time on stage with Michael Caine. Suddenly, out comes Roger Moore, and the audience became giddy with glee to see the 2 longest serving Bonds on stage together. Rog had a beard and Michael asked him, "who are you?" Rog looked and smiled at Sean; then looked back at Michael and said, "My name is Bond". Michael responded, "You can't be Bond; he's (pointing to Sean) Bond".

The point is that if Sean was willing to play along, then, about his Bond roots, why wouldn't he go to the Oscars for a once in a lifetime get together with the other Bonds? I'd like to see it happen, but won't get my hopes up.

Considering that was over 20 years ago, things change.
  • Connery still had his grudge with EON 20 years ago.
    How frail is Sean Connery now? I know he has stopped playing golf. Does he leave his maximum security twilight home in The Bahamas?
    actonsteve wrote:
    How frail is Sean Connery now? I know he has stopped playing golf. Does he leave his maximum security twilight home in The Bahamas?

He looked fine at the us open and when he went to the stock exchange last year.

• edited January 2013 Posts: 2,015
    Benny wrote:
    As much as he likes to distance himself from Bond, Connery would not be the actor he became without Bond.
    The guy has allegedly seen a child in tears because he signed his autograph "Sean Connery", he has all his immediate after-Bond career being overshadowed by what he did in the 60s, as soon as early 65 he clearly was saying Bond movies fortunately were compensated by the possibility of making more serious movies that did not rely on the star system, etc. He spent almost 20 years before being cast regularly again in very successful and good quality movies... I think it's impossible for us to be in his head, frankly.

Even on this forum, who has seen Connery in "The Offence", for instance ? I'm sure it's the minority. I think on the other hand a majority has seen him playing "Bond" again in "The Rock" :) I'm sure he's happy with the financial result, but I'm pretty sure he had more ambition on the artistic level during his 40 years after Bond. When one think his last movie is a IMO bad CGI fest produced in large part on his "Bond" persona...

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Connery trying to shed his Bond image wasn't helped one bit by coming back - twice on film plus the video game.
    MrBrown wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

I think they would, for the sake of ratings.

They didn't with the Olympics opening.
  • As a huge James Bond fan, it would be great to see all the Bond actors together for the first time. I hope Sean Connery does accept.
    Ellis wrote:

Both Caine & Moore are great friends of his, that is a rather different kettle of fish than stepping out there in order to celebrate EON who he felt shortchanged him a wee bit.

• edited January 2013 Posts: 2,015
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Connery trying to shed his Bond image wasn't helped one bit by coming back - twice on film plus the video game.

I don't think he would deny making it for the money only.

As for the famous deal he was given to come back in DAF, don't forget he was simply scammed : of the two movies he was supposed to do to compensate for DAF, only one was made, and it was not distributed fairly or even not at all... because United Artists did not want Connery's 007 image to be shattered by a darker role. In France it was released only 40 years later, from an unique print that needed a lot of digital restore.
    I will believe it when i see it! And if it does happen i will record it for prosperity sake! [-O<
    HTF did SF not get nominated for Best Picture? So lame.