SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

I know, I am up against everybody, but Bernhard Lee was always rather boring to me. I would like this role to become a bit more interesting.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Now that this has been all but confirmed, at least people now know this is how the role of M will work. I hope it's minimal outside the office scenes though and those we have are needed within the story. Not having cutting back to MI6 should be improvement enough. All I really want is the MI6 staff to be great secondary characters again, not main stars in the film.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Totally agree with @Samuel001 ;)
    Guess the die hard Bondfans hve a different view. OK then :)

Maybe they find a version, that everybody can agree with.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    There's a different in being out in the field and popping off shots alongside Bond, so everyone can calm down. M has been out in the field his entire cinematic history, meeting Bond and other agents of the British government countless times in various locations and to varying degrees of screen-time, so this is hardly anything new. I can understand why everyone would be opposed to Mallory joining a fire-fight, but don't jump to those kinds of conclusions just yet. If that is how it's played though, he is a man of action and I don't see that from being too surprising if we get it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited February 2014 Posts: 40,474
    Plus, if I was Craig's Bond, I would want Fiennes' M out in the field with me at some point: not saying that's what I want at all, but in the courthouse scene, Mallory gets popped and still manages to save everyone and take out one of Silva's guards.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Plus, if I was Craig's Bond, I would want Fiennes' M out in the field with me at some point: not saying that's what I want at all, but in the courthouse scene, Mallory gets popped and still manages to save everyone and take out one of Silva's guards.
    He's the one that saves M in the first place. Way to go, Tanner. [-X
    Creasy47 wrote:

Tanner was only thinking about #1: himself. Then he says "Oh, maybe I should do something about my boss. Let's go, M!"
    I tend to believe, they will hit some middle ground on this. Nothing too over the adge.
    Germanlady wrote:
    I tend to believe, they will hit some middle ground on this. Nothing too over the adge.

Let's hope so. Give those who don't want M out in the field fighting and those who do a bit of middle ground to agree over so everyone wins.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Tanner was only thinking about #1: himself. Then he says "Oh, maybe I should do something about my boss. Let's go, M!"

After that showing of unprofessionalism I'm shocked he didn't get canned. Afterwards, Bond would pass Tanner every day while on his way to the office where he'd be sitting on a crate, clinking around a tin cup for the spare change of passersby and a box for canned foods at his feet.
  • He's the one that saves M in the first place. Way to go, Tanner. [-X

In defense of ol' Bill, he DID try to get M to leave and she for reasons I will never understand refused, so he's probably thinking "nope, lady, i'm not dying because you had to read your damned poetry"

In defense of ol' Bill, he DID try to get M to leave and she for reasons I will never understand refused, so he's probably thinking "nope, lady, i'm not dying because you had to read your damned poetry"

And it's the greatest moment of the franchise, so Tanner can pipe down and be a man about it. ;)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    And because they had to put it in the script so Mallory could show us what he is made of, being the hero and brave and saving M, therby forcing Tanner to not do his job this one time. I wonder if Rory read the script and said, "But ...! " I would have.
  • Assuming that filming starts this fall, shouldn't we be hearing casting rumors by now? I'm guessing that if Blofeld is in the film, they won't say it, i.e., Harris was cast as Moneypenny and no one knew.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    That will come frm April most likely, when work on the film really starts.
    God I hope Blofield is not in the film...

In two months (according to a quote from Sam Mendes) bond 24 begins pre production. So my guess is that this spring/summer is gonna be very interesting regarding bond. (On a side note it should be interesting for my top franchises as besides macgyver and highlander they are all doing something even my favorite band has a new album coming out in July)
  • Assuming that filming starts this fall, shouldn't we be hearing casting rumors by now? I'm guessing that if Blofeld is in the film, they won't say it, i.e., Harris was cast as Moneypenny and no one knew.

I think a Blofeld return is more likely now than ever before.

What would a Blofeld return look like now, given that he and SPECTRE are two of the biggest symbols of early Bond and the series is now going out of its way to play with the Bond structure and cliches?
    Assuming that filming starts this fall, shouldn't we be hearing casting rumors by now? I'm guessing that if Blofeld is in the film, they won't say it, i.e., Harris was cast as Moneypenny and no one knew.

What would a Blofeld return look like now, given that he and SPECTRE are two of the biggest symbols of early Bond and the series is now going out of its way to play with the Bond structure and cliches?

My bet: should they decide to bring back Blofeld, he will be much, much closer to the novels' Blofeld, so no bald man, no cat, no Nehru/Mao suit.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Ludovico wrote:
    Assuming that filming starts this fall, shouldn't we be hearing casting rumors by now? I'm guessing that if Blofeld is in the film, they won't say it, i.e., Harris was cast as Moneypenny and no one knew.

My bet: should they decide to bring back Blofeld, he will be much, much closer to the novels' Blofeld, so no bald man, no cat, no Nehru/Mao suit.

I agree. If they ever bring back Blofeld they should follow that route. However, I hope they bring some other villain.
  • Ludovico wrote:

Thing is, Fleming's Blofield varies quite a bit from TB to OHMSS to YOLT.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    That could be quite a good arc for the character though if they bring him back. Show his downfall from the menacing SPECTRE leader in TB to the gold toothed samurai obsessed nutcase we see in YOLT.

This is how I'd do it: for Bond 24 have a traditional big Bond adventure. The villains (Quantum or SPECTRE, led by Blofeld) want world domination, the tone is less serious and Bond gets the girl at the end.

Then for Bond 25 it's a more serious film that uses bits of YOLT. Blofeld has gone insane after the destruction of his organisation and now he's up to something in Japan where he lives in a castle with his garden of death. Bond kills Blofeld at the end and he loses his memory.

Bond 26, Craig's last, do the whole brainwashing/killing M plot.
    Ludovico wrote:

Thing is, Fleming's Blofield varies quite a bit from TB to OHMSS to YOLT.

That's why I said novels. But that also means they have a lot of material to renew the character: Moriarty-like evil genius in TB and OHMSS and downright devilish madman in YOLT. Same goes with his appearance: they can cast a large framed actor (my favourite approach, because very different from what we saw on films) or someone with a Draculesque look akin to OHMSS Blofeld, or go full diabolical gargoyle with the YOLT Blofeld look.
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    If they would bring Blofeld back. At least let him keep the cat.
    Has it been confirmed if Rory Kinnear will return as Tanner?
  • I also wonder if Jeffery Wright will be back.
    I think the addition Felix Leiter was the only thing missing from SF. Since it now was the 50th celebration it could have been nice to see an appearance.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Pajan005 wrote:
    I think the addition Felix Leiter was the only thing missing from SF. Since it now was the 50th celebration it could have been nice to see an appearance.
    They wouldn't add Leiter just for the sake of it. If he fits the story, get Leiter, if not let him be quiet.

Pajan005 wrote:
    If they would bring Blofeld back. At least let him keep the cat.

Why? The cat was s visual trick in FRWL used so people could focus on Blofeld without actually seeing him. It has been spoofed to death and would have no use whatsoever in a new approach of the character.