SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    bondjames wrote: »
    If I'm being honest, the good Brozz never convinced me in the seduction dept. I always got the impression he was the one being seduced and I found that troubling for a man who's supposed to have his character's background.

Craig did more with that one look in the shower scene before he approaches sitting Vesper (admittedly beautifully filmed and set up) in CR than Brozz or Dalton did in all their movies combined, imho. He too can come across a little forced at times, but that's more how it's written than any problem with him, in my eyes anyway. His seduction of Solange is a classic in the series.....probably as cool as it gets.

Brosnan was good in certain areas, but his seductive abilities always seemed a little strained, but then I'm speaking as a man.

You're absolutely right. The only time Brosnan seduced anyone was that nobody-chick sent out to evaluate him after GE's PTS. Natalya was also the one calling the shots and instigating a bit of rumpy-pumpy. Wow, this is actually quite an interesting development.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    doubleoego wrote: »
    If I'm being honest, the good Brozz never convinced me in the seduction dept. I always got the impression he was the one being seduced and I found that troubling for a man who's supposed to have his character's background.

Craig did more with that one look in the shower scene before he approaches sitting Vesper (admittedly beautifully filmed and set up) in CR than Brozz or Dalton did in all their movies combined, imho. He too can come across a little forced at times, but that's more how it's written than any problem with him, in my eyes anyway. His seduction of Solange is a classic in the series.....probably as cool as it gets.

Brosnan was good in certain areas, but his seductive abilities always seemed a little strained, but then I'm speaking as a man.

You're absolutely right. The only time Brosnan seduced anyone was that nobody-chick sent out to evaluate him after GE's PTS. Natalya was also the one calling the shots and instigating a bit of rumpy-pumpy. Wow, this is actually quite an interesting development.

It really was a credibility gap he failed to fill for me and had a negative effect on his tenure in my eyes, as this is a major part of the James Bond mystique, as far as I'm concerned.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The shower scene in CR is one of the very few absolutely great and stunning Craig moments.
    But then, again, this scene without Eva Green would fall apart too.

Naturally. It would seem very bizarre had Craig been doing that by himself.
    The point is, Craig is an infinitely better actor than Brosnan and brings credibility to the role. As such, as crippled a movie as QoS was, Craig was the best thing about it. He brings more to the screen than just action in his Bond movies. If Brosnan was put in any of the 3 Craig movies he would have ended up making Lazenby look like Marlon freaking Brando by comparison. If I want to watch a spy movie about "Mr.Funny man" then I'll watch the hijinks of Johnny English. Based on some of your posts in assessing certain scenes, amongst other things, you've also displayed your all too apparent inability to acknowledge subtlety and nuances when they've been presented.

I agree, if you simply would replace Craig with Brosnan, Brosnan would fail, respectively the movies wouldn't work.
    But it works the other way around too.
    Craig in Brosnan movies or even Moore movies would fail miserably as well.

No argument from me here; which is why Craig was begged to take the role. He didn't want to seriously take on the role because the series had become a joke and descended into a severe case of parody. Craig wasn't getting involved with Bond if it meant having to work with the same conditions Brosnan did. Craig never and doesn't covet the role like Brosnan did.
    Why do I fail to acknowledge subtlety and nuances?
    Do any of the Craig defenders (I don't mean that term negatively) acknowledge the great acting of Brosnan in TWINE??

Are you being serious? Great acting in TWINE?
    ...wow...well...erm...

200w.gif
    Was there no subtlety in Brosnan's acting in the Elektra sequence where he finally shoots her and then mourns her?

It was a good scene but to be honest, any decent drama student could have pulled tgat scene off. Looking angry and threatening to shoot an unarmed woman in the face isn't exactly stretching one's acting talents.
    The tenor is always, Brosnan was bad, Craig is great. (I don't mean necessarily you).
    That's one reason I will always defend Brosnan when he gets compared to Craig.

Brosnan wasn't terrible and he had some good moments but overall he was a subpar Bond at best. Looking at his filmography his work on Bond was some of his weaker output. He's done much better outside of Bond and ironically enough it's mostly his post Bond work.
    Funny he never gets compared to Moore, Dalton or Connery. Speaks volumes if you ask me.

Yeah, he does.

It really was a credibility gap he failed to fill for me and had a negative effect on his tenure in my eyes, as this is a major part of the James Bond mystique, as far as I'm concerned.

I suspect the scriptwriters relied too much on Brosnan's good look. I don't think he was bad as a seducer per se, but the seduction scenes were badly written and developed.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    please no flame wars. Better to stay on topic.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Lol, we all have our favorite bonds...and our least favorite
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited August 2015 Posts: 15,423
    Too much criticism and negativity towards something here... And too much 'reasoning' given by everyone like they all know how to handle the respectable duties established actors like Brosnan and Craig have gone through their careers. Perhaps you all should be picked up to work on the next film and perfect everyone who came before. Remarkable remarkable. Yes, sir. Carry on.
    Too much criticism and negativity towards something here... And too much 'reasoning' given by everyone like they all know how to handle the respectable duties established actors like Brosnan and Craig have gone through their careers. Perhaps you all should be picked up to work on the next film and perfect everyone who came before. Remarkable remarkable. Yes, sir. Carry on.

Armchair critics you say.......on an internet forum.......say it isn't so.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited August 2015 Posts: 15,423

On the internet, everyone knows everything and everyone is better than everyone else on too many grounds. What can I say? Some sort of an 'escapism' from real-life.

On the internet, everyone knows everything and everyone is better than everyone on too many grounds. What can I say? Some sort of an 'escapism' from real-life.

True enough. Wrong thread for all this back and forth anyway. We've got the threads for it and should take it there.
    Andrew Scott talks "Spectre"

20150623_hb_red_andrewscott_0264__portrait.jpg

‘I was at home when I got the call and rang my parents right away,’ he laughs. ‘They were delighted. I’ve done a lot of experimental theatre, so I say I’m doing a play at the Royal Court and they’re like, “Oh…” [does a look of feigned interest]. But everybody has at least heard about Bond.’ He pauses, perhaps feeling he hasn’t credited his parents with much theatrical nous, before adding, ‘Although my mum does like a bit of experimental theatre…’

Alas, he can’t say much about Spectre, nor the new series of Sherlock. (Believe me, I tried…) ‘I seem to be in the habit of doing projects that I can’t talk about because there’s a lot of secrecy attached to them,’ he sighs. ‘Plot is everything in Bond. You don’t want to give the fun away.’ Can he at least tell me about his character? ‘I play the head of an organisation called the Centre for National Security. It’s about ethics and how the new world of surveillance compares with the old world of surveillance, and the tension between them.’ He pauses: ‘And that is officially all I can say.’ I joke that he’s reading from the Bond Official Line Handbook and he affects a robot voice, complete with robot arm movements: ‘This. Is. The. Official. Line.’ He laughs. ‘Although I can tell you that I get to have lovely suits and a nice desk.’

Look's like the Snowden situation will figure heavily in the film. Which really isn't surprising at all.
    Cheers for the article
    RC7 wrote: »
    trevanian wrote: »
    I don't know if this has been mentioned or discussed already...

...looking at the production photographs and the trailers I wonder if it could be that SPECTRE will have kind of a retro look resembling/homaging the 60's.

The clothes, the sets and the sound indicate that this could be the case.

And the far more important question...if that's really the case wouldn't that be bloody marvelous?

Yes darling Swiss boy, it would :-P.

I'd rather a modern look. The 60's happened.

Precisely. Let's keep things moving forward.

Anybody who thinks today's airports are gorgeous and high-tech looking is crazy; look at Saarinen's TWA terminal NY from the 60s, now that is awesome. Even that french one that looks like hamster habitrails from the late 70s has some style.

Modern doesn't constitute progress, at least not in a lot of design.

Nobody is saying you can't lens architecture from the 60's, 70's, 80's and so on, but the overall aesthetic should feel current. The amazingly brutalist, Barbican, looks great in QoS, but the film doesn't have to evoke the late 70's early 80's with the rest of its design. Bond films of the 60's didn't look like 40's films, they looked like 60's films. Bond films of the 2010's should be just that, like with all Bond films - a time capsule, covering areas as diverse as aesthetics to social commentary.

And yet Forster and his DP told me they and Gassner were all very mindful of Adam and the look and high styling of 60s films, and Forster's tastes are very much part of the film (even if you have to freezeframe to be able to appreciate same.)

As for social commentary, we don't have too many examples that come to my mind as far as 'real' world and Bondfilm: you have the 'friends in low places' reference to the CIA in MR, you have the 9/11 references and you have the sociopolitical issues of QoS.

And I'd argue that the first two Young films DID look like 50s films in a lot of ways, but they were cut differently.

edited August 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Certainly I think it's preferable if there's a timeless style to a Bond film. I prefer if it's not caught in the look of the era so much, but tries to transcend it as much as it possibly can, since these films live on and are rewatched forever.

The style/glamour/locations,and the way they are filmed are critical to capturing the essence of Bond. I think CR did it very well. SF was amazing to look at, but I wonder if it will necessarily date as well......the saturated digital camera look may be viewed differently as years pass. SP certainly looks more classic from the trailers, but I wouldn't call it retro or evoking the 60's......it just seems quite grand, in a good way.
  • RC7RC7
    I don't know if this has been mentioned or discussed already...

...looking at the production photographs and the trailers I wonder if it could be that SPECTRE will have kind of a retro look resembling/homaging the 60's.

The clothes, the sets and the sound indicate that this could be the case.

And the far more important question...if that's really the case wouldn't that be bloody marvelous?

Yes darling Swiss boy, it would :-P.

I'd rather a modern look. The 60's happened.

Precisely. Let's keep things moving forward.

Anybody who thinks today's airports are gorgeous and high-tech looking is crazy; look at Saarinen's TWA terminal NY from the 60s, now that is awesome. Even that french one that looks like hamster habitrails from the late 70s has some style.

Modern doesn't constitute progress, at least not in a lot of design.

Nobody is saying you can't lens architecture from the 60's, 70's, 80's and so on, but the overall aesthetic should feel current. The amazingly brutalist, Barbican, looks great in QoS, but the film doesn't have to evoke the late 70's early 80's with the rest of its design. Bond films of the 60's didn't look like 40's films, they looked like 60's films. Bond films of the 2010's should be just that, like with all Bond films - a time capsule, covering areas as diverse as aesthetics to social commentary.

And yet Forster and his DP told me they and Gassner were all very mindful of Adam and the look and high styling of 60s films, and Forster's tastes are very much part of the film (even if you have to freezeframe to be able to appreciate same.)

As for social commentary, we don't have too many examples that come to my mind as far as 'real' world and Bondfilm: you have the 'friends in low places' reference to the CIA in MR, you have the 9/11 references and you have the sociopolitical issues of QoS.

And I'd argue that the first two Young films DID look like 50s films in a lot of ways, but they were cut differently.

And yet I still don't see what your point is? Other than to be a contrarian. Which is fine.
    I am expecting a feast of info throughout September but obviously spoiler free!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I am expecting a feast of info throughout September but obviously spoiler free!

Yeah, new vlog for sure, final poster, hopefully some character posters too (they are def overdue), theme song announcement and a final trailer at the end of the month to boot, I hope...

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    You know its a great time to be a Bond fan. New movie, new novel with great early buzz, and new comics by a great writer.

• marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Something's coming on Wednesday. ;)
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,119

You naughty naughty little Brazilian BOY :D :-O :)) !

--> Do we get the title song artist and title song reveal PLUS a 6th videoblog about the Bond music ??

--> Or will we get another theatrical trailer (the 4th official trailer, after one teaser trailer, one TV trailer and one 1st full theatrical trailer) ??
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Can you give us a hint? :D
  • leas_moleleas_mole love is the promise of suffering
    oooh exciting!
    What about:
    ...one thing is for sure. There will be another Bond, Craig's fifth of his contract. (From Total Film)

Dunno how reliable such a statement is from them, but...
    Hey @marketto007, you always know stuff. Is it a big deal "something's coming" or not so much? I know you have to protect your sources, but we will sure try to get more hints from you.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    It's a big deal for us, but no, it's not the title artist announcement yet.
    Is it a big "positive" deal? Like it's not an announcement that Craig isn't doing B25. Maybe a major interview. We're gonna drive you nuts with questions.
  • walter1985walter1985 Rotterdam
    Germanlady wrote: »
    What about:
    ...one thing is for sure. There will be another Bond, Craig's fifth of his contract. (From Total Film)

Dunno how reliable such a statement is from them, but...

let's hope it's not a sad anouncement...
    edited August 2015 Posts: 10,588
    My guess is another poster, probably character ones. We should get an official confirmation if that's the case.
    The music/theme song blog is penciled in for October if that schedule is to go by....with a stunts one this month.