SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

We have our first explosion:
    2r23qmt.jpg

Generally speaking, what happens if Sony executives hate a Bond script? Can they force EON to change it? I really don't understand the relationship of Sony, MGM and EON regarding creative decisions. What control do Sony and MGM have over the creative aspects of a Bond movie?

@ColonelSun ? (Sorry to bother you again. :) )

Eon, as the production company, hold the underlying rights to Bond (so they have very strong creative control) with MGM. And Sony are their partners for world-wide distribution, which is absolutely central to financing the film, so like all co-productions, Eon have to run everything (all key decisions etc.) through both MGM and Sony, and those "men in suits" have a huge responsibility towards their own business and shareholders because the deals on Bond are HUGE in terms of production budget, cash-flow, international marketing, and, hopefully, profits for all parties. So there's a lot at stake and so Sony are all over Bond, watching the creative process - story and script - like hawks - and maintaining a firm grip during production. They clearly deeply respect and trust Eon and Mendes - but obviously, just like members here on these forums, everyone has an opinion. And the more at stake - the more opinions there are. Eon, like all strong production companies and producers, essentially deal with all this and try to protect their director and writers as much as possible from the back room politics and keep the film on track.

These Sony leaks are awful - I for one am avoiding reading them.

• Mi6LisbonBranchMi6LisbonBranch Lisbon, Portugal
    The Sony leak has caught up with 'Spectre'! A number of emails have leaked between Barbara Broccoli and Amy Pascal revealing how the film is grossly over-budget.

HEALTH WARNING: The last sentence includes potentially huge spoilers for 'Spectre'

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/10/technology/security/bond-movie-budget/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+rss/money_latest+(Latest+News)

Well .. this really spoils a bit some of the surprises SP can bring.
    I would suggest that those who dont really want to know much about the film, dont read it. (for me it's OK because i want to know).
    But what really annoys me is how an established/huge media such as CNN would do a piece based on information leaked through piracy.
    I supose it's legal but imorall as well, at least it's what i think.
  • Mi6LisbonBranchMi6LisbonBranch Lisbon, Portugal
    jake24 wrote: »

Spoilers are OK for me, but only if we fans do it via trusted and ethically entrusted sources.....not from sources from criminals.

Yep, I agree whole-heartedly with this.
    Agreed.
    Agreed as well!!

• Can I say something? After a few days of disappointments regarding the SonyLeaks, I have officially found my inner geek mojo back :-P. I'm excited for SPECTRE! My boyfriend must face some difficult times upcoming months :-P. How about your inner geekiness??
  • 00Ralf00Ralf Germany
    Zekidk wrote: »
    We have our first explosion:
    2r23qmt.jpg

The news anchor says it's just a trial explosion, without cameras filming it. They're just testing how things would look. ;) Nevertheless, it's great to finally see some action on the set!
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil

B4fIZo6CYAEKkRs.jpg
    Picture posted on Twitter, apparently from a Bond set in Camden Lock, outside the Holiday Inn hotel.

New photos confirming this as a location.

http://www.theestablishingshot.com/2014/12/first-look-bond-24-spectre-film.html
    Thank you, ColonelSun!
  • SPECTRE Rome car chase scenes to take place in Piazza Navona and other various places :)

http://t.co/YDrbCfKxJX

• leas_moleleas_mole love is the promise of suffering
    I am really saddened the the gutter press here in the UK are pitting the two Bond Girls against each other and indicating that Léa caused the split of Monica and Vincent. They only starred in a film together. If they bothered to do their research (Ha! yeah right...) there is no sex scene in La Belle et la Bête (Beauty and the Beast) - it's a family film. The 'sexy' promotional stills were for a photoshoot with Premiere Magazine and are not in the film!

In the Austrian press too

Oh dear, this is the price of fame I guess and a sign of more things to come :(
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited December 2014 Posts: 2,138
    Sony leak is fake. It was North Korea who alleged the hack on Sony's servers. So far most of what they alleged they hacked and released has been shown to be inaccruate. They are upset at a new film produced by Sony which is about their country and leader. This is all just made up propaganda and probably explains the poor language. No Entertainment executive would dare send an email with that many spelling errors, and none would dare be so brash to when addressing the writter or Director.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland

B4fIZo6CYAEKkRs.jpg
    Picture posted on Twitter, apparently from a Bond set in Camden Lock, outside the Holiday Inn hotel.

New photos confirming this as a location.

http://www.theestablishingshot.com/2014/12/first-look-bond-24-spectre-film.html

Well of course it faces on to Bond street station. LOL!
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    I think we should forget these Sony leaks and focus on the Bond Production here.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yeah good idea. I also find it interesting that if the huge budget was such an issue, would Mendes really make a joke about it as part of his opening line at the press event?

Anyway, moving on...
    Sony leak is fake.

Are you for real? Have you read the leaks? It is completely obvious that they are real as they contains specific story details and names. Not just the Bond leaks but also everything else is so specific that only someone who knows just about everything about the enterntainment industry and is a hard core Bond fan could fake all this stuff.

Having said that, all the notes that have leaked so far refer to earlier versions of the screenplay, so nobody knows what they have changed and what they haven't.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Sony leak is fake.

Are you for real? Have you read the leaks? It is completely obvious that they are real as they contains specific story details and names. Not just the Bond leaks but also everything else is so specific that only someone who knows just about everything about the enterntainment industry and is a hard core Bond fan could fake all this stuff.

Having said that, all the notes that have leaked so far refer to earlier versions of the screenplay, so nobody knows what they have changed and what they haven't.

Even more considering 3 more writers worked on the script this year.
    I think we should forget these Sony leaks and focus on the Bond Production here.

Absolutely agree! There is enough to discuss, new photos, the information about filming in Rome, the explosion rehearsal in Austria :)
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 3,169
    SPECTRE Rome car chase scenes to take place in Piazza Navona and other various places :)
    http://t.co/YDrbCfKxJX
    "destined to end with the fall of a car in the river and its rescue of James Bond with a helicopter."
    Kind of a downer that the whole thing will be during the night, IMO.
    These locations are mentioned in the article, in reference to the car chase:
    Porte Pia
    porta-pia(18).jpg

Via Barberinu
    barberini2.jpg

Milvan bridge
    Roma+Day+1+18.jpg
    Sony leak is fake.

I have avoided reading the actual leaked documents, but from what others have described in terms of the badly written script notes from someone within Sony, I can say, as a screenwriter myself, that I have frequently received very badly written - often incoherent - script notes, and sometimes the author/s can be disrespectful and show little understanding of the actual script (the draft) and the screenwriting process. But this, of course, is not always the case because some producers/script editors/execs etc. give excellent and very insightful script notes or comments.

• edited December 2014 Posts: 4,619
    Spectre is really shaping up to be one of the most ambtitious Bond film yet, if not THE most ambitious one. I'm really happy that they are taking risks, I just hope that the movie won't crumble under its own weight.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    It definitely sounds more exciting and thrilling than SF and you can almost feel how different it is. This is going to be HUGE.
    I think the obvious thing to do is not to read these alleged leaks. I have not and therefore I look forward to Spectre immensely. It is no use complaining to others if you decided to read them and have inadvertently ruined a part of the new film for yourselves.
    The Golden Globe nominations were announced today and two Spectre cast members received nominations this year. Ralph Fiennes for The Grand Budapest Hotel and Christoph Waltz for Big Eyes, both in the category called Best Performance By an Actor in a Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical.
  • RogueAgent wrote: »
    I think the obvious thing to do is not to read these alleged leaks. I have not and therefore I look forward to Spectre immensely. It is no use complaining to others if you decided to read them and have inadvertently ruined a part of the new film for yourselves.

Fully agreed, which is why I have not and will not read them, regardless of their veracity. But already within the past day I've been finding bits and details I didn't know and don't necessarily want to know popping up in various threads. I don't know if all of these have come from the leaks or from other news sources I just haven't seen yet. There's no way I'm leaving the board for the next year, so I guess I'll just live with it and in the meantime simply ask those with knowledge of SPECTRE details to use spoiler tags judiciously.
  • Some perspective about a $300 million production budget historically, not adjusted for inflation. (no spoilers in post)

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2014/12/11/spectre-may-be-one-of-most-expensive-movies-ever-made/
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    When are we going to find out who's singing the title song? Both Mendes and Whishaw know, but aren't saying. Hope its someone good.
  • 0101000101010001 Classified
    It was very difficult for me to avoid the leak-spoilers as various 'normal' news Media in The Netherlands reported it, so sadly I was not able to avoid to be 'spoilered' by them. However, I am very happy with the timeline in the original post, since I had not heard that Bond 24 and 25 would be connected, yet. This gives me hope for that what I hope the story will turn to, but of course, we won't know that until seeing SPECTRE!

I am so excited about the filming locations in Rome, though. I have been there recently.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    Some perspective about a $300 million production budget historically, not adjusted for inflation. (no spoilers in post)

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2014/12/11/spectre-may-be-one-of-most-expensive-movies-ever-made/

EON always 'scaled up' the budget when the immediately preceding movie was a commercial and critical success. So they were definitely going to do it this time. The only time they scaled down in budget was when the immediately preceding movie was a financial success but critically panned or not up to snuff...i.e. MR & DAD

Having said that, they have a lot of experience with this, so I'm sure they are not going to overbudget or overspend. They know what is expected from the fans and what SP can reasonably expect to make in the box office. 50+ experience with this is huge....

The bottom line is they will be hard pressed to net as money in pocket as they did with SF. The US $ is not cooperating (which will hurt overall worldwide gross unless ticket prices increase or audience numbers go up) and they got major savings with filming a lot of SF in Scotland and England the last time around.
  • 0101000101010001 Classified
    bondjames wrote: »
    Some perspective about a $300 million production budget historically, not adjusted for inflation. (no spoilers in post)

EON always 'scaled up' the budget when the immediately preceding movie was a commercial and critical success. So they were definitely going to do it this time. The only time they scaled down in budget was when the immediately preceding movie was a financial success but critically panned or not up to snuff...i.e. MR & DAD

Having said that, they have a lot of experience with this, so I'm sure they are not going to overbudget or overspend. They know what is expected from the fans and what SP can reasonably expect to make in the box office. 50+ experience with this is huge....

The bottom line is they will be hard pressed to net as money in pocket as they did with SF. The US $ is not cooperating (which will hurt overall worldwide gross unless ticket prices increase or audience numbers go up) and they got major savings with filming a lot of SF in Scotland and England the last time around.

They do of course get payment for filming in Mexico (or so I have heard from someone. Was this confirmed? I know it happens occasionally) but yeah, Rome, in particular, seems really expensive. However, I don't expect them to cut on critical things. If they have to convert the budget to euros with the US dollar like this they may have less budget than SF eventually. It happens, although I did not check the state of the US dollar lately.

[/quote]

another excellent piece @waverly.
    I think the Sony leaks really just gave some insight into the budget wrangling that goes on, on any big budget production. The stuff that eventually comes out in someone's book someday.
    As the mi6 homepage article here notes, the budget revelations, give Mendes press-gathering remarks some context.

first of all what did Mendes say about the budget at the press conference? i watched the videos but did not hear anything about the budget.

secondly, i thought sony would leave EON alone with this one considering their track record. i hope sony doesn't meddle too much considering the shit they produce on their own like Amazin spiderman 2.

thirdly, why would this leak be different that other leaks of information? are we trying to be self-rightious about this? the studio source that leaks information (bond 24 name, chris waltz info, etc info we got before Dec 4th) is the same as this. whoever leaked the information was breaching a confidentiality contact and would be the same thing. what am i missing here?