SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

If Waltz plays a character who seems to be an ally at the beginning but turns out to be a villain later on than they still need a main villain or at least someone who seems to be the main villain at the beginning.

If Waltz plays Blofeld and Sam and the producers don't want to announce that than they will need someone to announce as the main villain. I'm pretty sure there will be a third important bad guy in the movie (and I'm also pretty sure there will be a Bond girl other than Lea, but that's another story).
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    if they are adding another actress - they either have her already contracted up, or they are in the final negotiating stages with her as we speak... waiting this long - i wonder just how big of a role this girl will have, or if she'll be the sacrificial lamb type (ie: Severine) as many other have speculated.. thus meaning this might be more of a Bond solo adventure... who knows, maybe Lea Seydoux will end up being the main Bond girl....

christ - i am getting myself dizzy with all this assumption and speculation..... there are still what, 2 weeks before the presser?.. supposedly?... i'm sure more will come out between now and then.
    I just read this somewhere else and I could not agree with it more:

"It could well have gone like this. One bit of information says - At the press conference, Christoph Waltz will be unveiled as a character called Franz Oberhauser. Where as info from a different source says - The main villain in Bond 24 turns out to be Blofeld, who has been reimagined for the new films in a non-camp form. All you have to do is assume that Waltz is playing the main villain and you get the Mail's story. I believe that there is a serious possibility that these are actually unrelated bits of news."
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---

"It could well have gone like this. One bit of information says - At the press conference, Christoph Waltz will be unveiled as a character called Franz Oberhauser. Where as info from a different source says - The main villain in Bond 24 turns out to be Blofeld, who has been reimagined for the new films in a non-camp form. All you have to do is assume that Waltz is playing the main villain and you get the Mail's story. I believe that there is a serious possibility that these are actually unrelated bits of news."

so, more or less that the Mail is just taking 2 different rumors and combining them into their own new rumor?.... i could see that.
    If these Blofeld reports are true I couldn't be happier! In fact i might start queuing for tickets now and try and and set a Guiness world record for longest ever advanced queing stint!
  • I just read this somewhere else and I could not agree with it more:

I said exactly the same @PanchitoPistoles, and you debunked that completely.
  • Not necessarily @PanchitoPistoles.
    Bond's father Andrew Bond could be the best friend of this Hans Oberhauser. The ski-link is there anyway. Hence Hans Oberhauser being some kind of "Godfather" to Bond. That doesn't make Franz Oberhauser a genetic blood brother of Bond.

I think, this Franz Oberhauser is slowly lured into villainous plots. But at the start of the film he will very well be Bond's best friend from childhood times. I think at the end he could be the mastermind, briefing to Blofeld? We'll see.....
    Of course they wouldn't be real brothers. I meant that they would treat each other as brothers having grown up together. And what do you mean by "briefing to Blofeld"? The article states that he IS Blofeld. Are you going to say that you treat half of the article as true and half of it as made up?

I meant the above quote @PanchitoPistoles ;-)
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    HASEROT wrote: »

so, more or less that the Mail is just taking 2 different rumors and combining them into their own new rumor?.... i could see that.

Wouldn't be the first time they'd do something like that. After ask this is the Daily Fail, the only reliable person they have is Baz.
    Not necessarily @PanchitoPistoles.
    Bond's father Andrew Bond could be the best friend of this Hans Oberhauser. The ski-link is there anyway. Hence Hans Oberhauser being some kind of "Godfather" to Bond. That doesn't make Franz Oberhauser a genetic blood brother of Bond.

I think, this Franz Oberhauser is slowly lured into villainous plots. But at the start of the film he will very well be Bond's best friend from childhood times. I think at the end he could be the mastermind, briefing to Blofeld? We'll see.....
    Of course they wouldn't be real brothers. I meant that they would treat each other as brothers having grown up together. And what do you mean by "briefing to Blofeld"? The article states that he IS Blofeld. Are you going to say that you treat half of the article as true and half of it as made up?

Ok, I wrote that because the way you wrote that Waltz may not be Blofeld sounded like you thinking that the writers of the article simply made up that he IS Blofeld. The columnists mixing two insider infos together would explain Waltz not playing Blofeld without them lying.
  • Not necessarily @PanchitoPistoles.

Ok, I wrote that because the way you wrote that Waltz may not be Blofeld sounded like you thinking that the writers of the article simply made up that he IS Blofeld. The columnists mixing two insider infos together would explain Waltz not playing Blofeld without them lying.

Let's see how it goes buddy. But if Blofeld returns, I'm confident he will be revealed-introduced with great care and attention to detail. This will not be a "Star Trek: Into Darkness"-affair. That movie really disappointed me, because I expect.....EXPLORATION in a Trek-film. Like with "Interstellar". No, with Blofeld in Bond 24 we're in for a wunderful piece of nuanced storytelling, spread out over perhaps two films. And with drama-director Sam Mendes the character will come across multi-layered, with gravita and complexity.
    Let's see how it goes buddy. But if Blofeld returns, I'm confident he will be revealed-introduced with great care and attention to detail. This will not be a "Star Trek: Into Darkness"-affair. That movie really disappointed me, because I expect.....EXPLORATION in a Trek-film. Like with "Interstellar". No, with Blofeld in Bond 24 we're in for a wunderful piece of nuanced storytelling, spread out over perhaps two films. And with drama-director Sam Mendes the character will come across multi-layered, with gravita and complexity.

If they really end up using Blofeld I think the key is to pretend Blofeld never existed before on the silver screen or at least to assume that the vast majority of the moviegoers toda have NO IDEA who Blofeld is. Star Trek: Into Darkness failed because the filmmakers assumed the moviegoers knew or cared who Khan was, while the reality was that most people (including me) had no idea who this character was or why he was supposed to be so significant and dangerous. In other words, instead of building the character up from 0 in the new movie they relied on the character's past history within the franchise.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Just because it's personal, doesn't mean it's about revenge. Tbh I like it when it gets personal, especially with Bond, because he's a fantastic character. I'd find it boring if he just did an objective mission.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    HASEROT wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm more convinced now that we have our major cast announced, and that the British lead (if there is one) may be a relative debutante...god help us if it is in fact MP, as has been speculated on here.

i would be a little miffed by that as well... as it makes her whole transformation from field agent to secretary at the end of SF redundant... she admits that field work isn't for her, only to go right back out in the field in next film?..... what utter horse hockey..

I understand and agree but I really don't think that is the case.

I still suspect a traditional and henchman and a femme fatal as the rumors suggest.

Unsure on the Blofeld angle unless result if rewrite. The legal battle ended well into the script.

Happy if Blofeld though but seems rumors run rampant.

Waiting for press conference...

They might have written first a villain who did not have Blofeld's name, but could become Blofeld if they had got the rights in time, which they did.
    Just because it's personal, doesn't mean it's about revenge. Tbh I like it when it gets personal, especially with Bond, because he's a fantastic character. I'd find it boring if he just did an objective mission.

It's possible to write a great Bond screenplay with gravitas and lots of drama without the mission being personal for Bond.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 267
    This is totally off subject, but I really want Lea to play a henchwoman and yes, I know it could be mirroring her role in Mission: Impossible 4 but I genuinely think that in the hands of Mendes and the writers a classic henchwoman could be done in a very good way that doesn't mirror M:I4 at all.

*Plus, Lea would look epic alongside Waltz and Bautista, if Waltz turns out to be a villain of course and would love to see a Bond girl vs Bond girl fight sequence coordinated by Gary Powell.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Fantastic news, loved it. Here's a little glimpse of a Bond reunion. :D

X2FGfyU.jpg
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited November 2014 Posts: 10,588
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited November 2014 Posts: 3,157

I have to agree with this. Most, if not all, Fleming books relied upon personal.
  • In 2 weeks time, we should have seen the press conference and some of our questions should be answered.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 14,864

If they really end up using Blofeld I think the key is to pretend Blofeld never existed before on the silver screen or at least to assume that the vast majority of the moviegoers toda have NO IDEA who Blofeld is. Star Trek: Into Darkness failed because the filmmakers assumed the moviegoers knew or cared who Khan was, while the reality was that most people (including me) had no idea who this character was or why he was supposed to be so significant and dangerous. In other words, instead of building the character up from 0 in the new movie they relied on the character's past history within the franchise.

Outside the fan community, I doubt that anyone truly knows who Blofeld is. Same about Khan in Star Trek, actually: for trekkers, he was Kirk's nemesis. For others, Kirk's nemesis was that guy from the second Star Trek movie. IF Waltz is Blofeld, at least they got the casting right, which was not the case with Khan in the last Star Trek movie (too young, too British, too whitewashed). Now IF the rumors are correct about Blofeld being only revealed as Blofeld throughout the movie, after being introduced first as an ally, then we can safely assume that he will not have the appearance that has been spoofed by Mike Myers and others. Which is maybe the only thing people remember of Blofeld outside the fan community (IMO and from what I observed anyway).

Now the question is: IF Waltz is Blofeld, how will his antagonism with Bond develop? Holmes considered Moriarty his nemesis as he had a brilliant intellect, matching his own. We don't have this with Blofeld: like many Bond villains he is smarter than Bond. So how will the personal dislike develop?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
  • Let's see how it goes buddy. But if Blofeld returns, I'm confident he will be revealed-introduced with great care and attention to detail. This will not be a "Star Trek: Into Darkness"-affair. That movie really disappointed me, because I expect.....EXPLORATION in a Trek-film. Like with "Interstellar". No, with Blofeld in Bond 24 we're in for a wunderful piece of nuanced storytelling, spread out over perhaps two films. And with drama-director Sam Mendes the character will come across multi-layered, with gravita and complexity.

The problem with Khan IMO was that it was a shamelessly executed copy-pasted-work. That movie came very close to be actually a remake instead of a reboot. And that shows there's a complete lack of creativity in rebooting. That's something I'm afraid of also. BUT, I think Sam Mendes and his writers are way more intelligent with the concept of re-inventing, re-booting, than J.J. Abrahms. J.J. for me is nothing more than a slick marketeer that preys on the "pop corn audience". I don't like that.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    If they are going to reinterpret, they will go to the Nolan playbook most likely (i.e. Bane) especially given Mendes' stated appreciation for his work on the Bat franchise.

I watched TDKR last week and felt it generally gets a bad rap. I thought it did a pretty good job of introducing Bane and incorporating the Bat folklore (broken back etc). It was a very ambitious plot (much more so than SF) and executed quite well given that.
  • jake24 wrote: »

As there's no spoiler in this article -it's mainly about behind-the-scenes work and setting up trailers/tents for the production crew-, this image won't hurt:

mebond2_1416757927668974_v0_l.jpg
    mebond_1416757453795629_v0_h.jpg

But by jolly, this production will be big man :-P.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,119
    Fantastic news, loved it. Here's a little glimpse of a Bond reunion. :D

X2FGfyU.jpg

Are we excited? Or are we EXCITED :D ??? I fucking love Bond hehe :-P. Ever since I saw my first Bond film in 1989....I truly believe with the Craig-era we live in a new Golden Era of Bond. Wun-der-ful actors by the way. Don't forget that Ralph Fiennes could probably get an Oscar nomination for his wunderful role in "The Grand Budapest Hotel".

By the way, this news is truly getting viral now hehe. Even Dutch state broadcaster NOS (Dutch BBC so to say) had this article about the man:
    http://nos.nl/artikel/2005293-blofeld-keert-terug-in-nieuwe-bondfilm.html
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Nice to know they're actually setting up where there's a beautiful and scenic backdrop. This film already looks more "authentic" than SF but we'll see.
    Has anyone other than me started to re-watch the Skyfall press conference?
    I hope Blofeld doesnt come back.

Let the new reboot breathe some fresh air.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    jake24 wrote: »

Me! I watched it yesterday... always love the pressconferences. I hope there will be a live video stream...
    JWPepper wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »

Me! I watched it yesterday... always love the pressconferences. I hope there will be a live video stream...
    If I remember correctly, there was a live stream on Mi6-hq. But it's hard for me to watch the live stream if the press conference takes place in the morning on London time, as I'm around six hours behind in Canada.