SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,416
    I prefer Chiwetel Eijofor to see in Bond movie. Idris Elba i have seen in Luther where he play a kind of Bond/Harry Brown and i also don't whant. Denzel is to fames and producers said no to Tony Scott as directer, the directer made end of his life. Denzel whas big fan of him, Scott asking him in a lot of movies he directed. If you have seen Man On Fire i understand there whant him for QOS. Thing is that i have seen Man On Fire later then QOS, but i have liked to see the writer work on Bond movie but not sjure about Scott too. Inspecialy because of Spy Game, has to much negatief remembers to Die Another Day having the same editor.
  • can't find the interview on youtube where Denzel gets asked about playing James Bond (but may have mentioned being interested in playing the villain)...but here is another recent one where he once again gets asked about playing Bond.

I don't see Washington as a Bond villain. Not at all. I would far more easily see Idris Elba, who actually looks threatening.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    edited November 2014 Posts: 512
    Hoyte van Hoytema is confirmed!

He says in a Dutch newspaper-interview:

"(...) Meanwhile I am busy working on the new James Bond-film. I have conversations on daily basis about the film. Hopefully we start filming this year. But I am not allowed to say anything about it."

Van Hoytema did not accept the job because it is James Bond. "No, I always look first to the director. I did that with Interstellar too. In this case, it is Sam Mendes whom I greatly admire and with whom I wanted to work. The fact that I am involved in the James Bond franchise is really great. If you want to make a film series it better be James Bond. "

translated from:http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1023/Film/article/detail/3781973/2014/11/04/Nederlandse-cameraman-lonkt-naar-Oscar-filmprijs.dhtml
  • JWPepper wrote: »

"(...) Meanwhile I am busy working on the new James Bond-film. I have conversations on daily basis about the film. Hopefully we start filming this year. But I am not allowed to say anything about it."

Van Hoytema not accept the job necessarily because James Bond. "No, I always look first to the director. I did that with Interstellar too. In this case, it is Sam Mendes whom I greatly admire and with whom I wanted to work. The fact that I am involved in the James Bond franchise is really great. If you want to make a film series it better be James Bond. "

translated from:http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1023/Film/article/detail/3781973/2014/11/04/Nederlandse-cameraman-lonkt-naar-Oscar-filmprijs.dhtml

Great article @JWPepper. And it confirms everything what I've been saying for a long time. Just read the interview. Now the forum members see how important high profile/Hollywood cast&crew names are to lure other big names into a production:
    DUTCH: Van Hoytema accepteerde de klus niet per se vanwege James Bond. "Nee! Ik kijk altijd eerst naar de regisseur. Dat deed ik met 'Interstellar' ook. In dit geval was het Sam Mendes die ik enorm bewonder en met wie ik graag wilde werken. Dat ik nu bij de franchise van James Bond ben betrokken is prachtig. Als je toch aan een filmserie moet meerwerken, dan maar James Bond."
    ENGLISH TRANSLATION: Van Hoytema accepted the job not just because it's James Bond. "No! I first always look to the director. That's what I also did with 'Interstellar'. And in this case it was Sam Mendes, who I admire a lot and with whom I really wanted to work with. The fact that I'm now part of the James Bond franchise is a lovely thing. If you have to work on a film franchise, then why not James Bond.

Here you have it. We probably would not have had Hoyte van Hoytema, if Sam Mendes wasn't directing. And I remember very well how delighted all forum members in here were, when van Hoytema was announced as cinematographer. Please give Mendes' fame also some credit for that ;-).
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    JWPepper wrote: »

Van Hoytema did not accept the job because it is James Bond. "No, I always look first to the director. I did that with Interstellar too. In this case, it is Sam Mendes whom I greatly admire and with whom I wanted to work. The fact that I am involved in the James Bond franchise is really great. If you want to make a film series it better be James Bond. "

;) Yes, indeed!
    Hopefully we start filming this year.

I thought the shooting begin on the 6th Dez

Bernie99 wrote: »

Yeah that quote from Hoytema is a little bit worrisome. Hopefully it's just a misunderstanding.
  • RC7 wrote: »
    The other end of the spectrum was :

746392deakins.jpg

I really didn't like this shot!

Oh yes! Ridiculous to anyone,who has ever been to a subway station and done a 1000 times before as well. The artistically bankrupt combination.
  • Bernie99 wrote: »

Yeah that quote from Hoytema is a little bit worrisome. Hopefully it's just a misunderstanding.

I think this is more interesting:

from:http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1023/Film/article/detail/3781973/2014/11/04/Nederlandse-cameraman-lonkt-naar-Oscar-filmprijs.dhtml

Great article @JWPepper. And it confirms everything what I've been saying for a long time. Just read the interview. Now the forum members see how important high profile/Hollywood cast&crew names are to lure other big names into a production:
    DUTCH: Van Hoytema accepteerde de klus niet per se vanwege James Bond. "Nee! Ik kijk altijd eerst naar de regisseur. Dat deed ik met 'Interstellar' ook. In dit geval was het Sam Mendes die ik enorm bewonder en met wie ik graag wilde werken. Dat ik nu bij de franchise van James Bond ben betrokken is prachtig. Als je toch aan een filmserie moet meerwerken, dan maar James Bond."
    ENGLISH TRANSLATION: Van Hoytema accepted the job not just because it's James Bond. "No! I first always look to the director. That's what I also did with 'Interstellar'. And in this case it was Sam Mendes, who I admire a lot and with whom I really wanted to work with. The fact that I'm now part of the James Bond franchise is a lovely thing. If you have to work on a film franchise, then why not James Bond.

Here you have it. We probably would not have had Hoyte van Hoytema, if Sam Mendes wasn't directing. And I remember very well how delighted all forum members in here were, when van Hoytema was announced as cinematographer. Please give Mendes' fame also some credit for that ;-).
  • RC7 wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    Bardem was a coup for SF. But was he at the end of a good run or is SF the start of a new career trajectory for him? Only time will tell, but the truth is that Bond actors have tended to be unknowns who have not achieved much afterwards, or older guys with not much to prove and up for a laugh. Despite the critical accolades that SF got, I'm still not sure it's all that attractive to serious and career conscious actors. No matter how good the films, they're still looked down on I think within the industry.

He's being lined up as the villain in POTC:5 so I would probably go with 'new career trajectory'. I agree that it's potentially not that attractive to serious and career conscious actors, but I think there may be a slight change in the tide, particularly if someone of his calibre is featured in B24. It seems to me that it really depends on the actors mindset and where they feel they are career wise, not necessarily that they've little left to prove, but that they feel like they have a body of work decent enough to allow them to step away momentarily. Bardem spoke of watching Bond films as a kid, the idea of joining that pantheon of greats, and if I remember rightly Amalric spoke of his kids' influence on his decision. I do think it's a nostalgia thing with some of these guys, but if the films continue along the path they are there's nothing to say that decisions won't be made from an artistic view. That said, I still prefer the idea of a decent actor saying 'yes' purely because they want to let rip and have a riotous time.

Since we are living in a time where huge piles of money have replaced creativity and audacity I would suggest that earnings might have something to do with it as well.
  • RC7RC7
    Matt_Helm wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Bardem was a coup for SF. But was he at the end of a good run or is SF the start of a new career trajectory for him? Only time will tell, but the truth is that Bond actors have tended to be unknowns who have not achieved much afterwards, or older guys with not much to prove and up for a laugh. Despite the critical accolades that SF got, I'm still not sure it's all that attractive to serious and career conscious actors. No matter how good the films, they're still looked down on I think within the industry.

He's being lined up as the villain in POTC:5 so I would probably go with 'new career trajectory'. I agree that it's potentially not that attractive to serious and career conscious actors, but I think there may be a slight change in the tide, particularly if someone of his calibre is featured in B24. It seems to me that it really depends on the actors mindset and where they feel they are career wise, not necessarily that they've little left to prove, but that they feel like they have a body of work decent enough to allow them to step away momentarily. Bardem spoke of watching Bond films as a kid, the idea of joining that pantheon of greats, and if I remember rightly Amalric spoke of his kids' influence on his decision. I do think it's a nostalgia thing with some of these guys, but if the films continue along the path they are there's nothing to say that decisions won't be made from an artistic view. That said, I still prefer the idea of a decent actor saying 'yes' purely because they want to let rip and have a riotous time.

Since we are living in a time where huge piles of money have replaced creativity and audacity I would suggest that earnings might have something to do with it as well.

Certainly a factor.
    When did this interview with Hoytema take place? If it took place recently, then that "Hopefully we start filming this year." line could indicate a further delay... Hopefullly not.
  • RC7RC7
    When did this interview with Hoytema take place? If it took place recently, then that "Hopefully we start filming this year." line could indicate a further delay... Hopefullly not.

I wouldn't read too much into it, if they don't start until January there's still ample time. Mendes will have streamlined his approach since SF.

• To be honest I'm not bothered if we don't get an A list star to be the villain or the main Bond girl. The most important thing is an actor/actress with presence and chemistry with Bond. I can understand for commercial reasons why getting a "name" would be important but lets be honest here. The names Bond, James Bond is the star of these films.

I even see it as counterproductive, since the amount of money these A stars suck up inevitably is missed in production value. SF is a prime example for this.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited November 2014 Posts: 10,586
    The article was written 3 days ago.
    :(
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I don't see Washington as a Bond villain.

Me neither, but I could see him playing a Bond ally.
  • Obviously something somewhere is not ticking well all along (considering that sixth of December is not even a month away).
  • Matt_Helm wrote: »
    Obviously something somewhere is not ticking well all along (considering that sixth of December is not even a month away).

Yes, and december equals "probably this year" IMO. I think van Hoytema was just a bit careless, bit liberal in his answer. Don't worry.
    jake24 wrote: »

Ok but the interview could have taken place months ago for all we know.
  • jake24 wrote: »

Ok but the interview could have taken place months ago for all we know.

And you too buddy! Don't worry man ;-)
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Denzel had never occurred to me before. Great screen presence and he actually does 'gone bad' very well. Unlikely but that could actually be interesting. I've always preferred villains who are clearly older than Bond as well.

Seeing the photo of Bardem at the SF press conference made we wish he hadn't gone blonde. He looks much more formidable as his normal self.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,416
    Intresting interview, much more intresting things to read there and inspecialy if you have idea what producers planning. Lived In Netherlands, Germany, Poland, Switzerland and now in VS. Also the guy look like he is fan to film close as possible, that's what he did with Interseller. Whyle i haven't seen that movie yet, i can imagine that Eon mabey whant to try again after QOS to make it bit umcomfortible i think. Something there be succes with Tosca and less with Car Chase in some people's opnion. Whyle iam also not fan of the last part of car chase, boat chase an dogfight. I am more umcomfortible with CR. Not real a nice feeling for somebody who prefer more distence moost of the time and inspecialy with action scene's.
  • RC7RC7
    edited November 2014 Posts: 10,512
    Denzel had never occurred to me before. Great screen presence and he actually does 'gone bad' very well. Unlikely but that could actually be interesting.

I would be tremendously underwhelmed if he was cast in a Bond. He doesn't feel right to me at all.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'd love to see Denzel as a villain, he's a superb actor and can be a real
    Vicious, hard nut when needed, as in Training day etc.
    I think Denzel could be interesting. I could actually really see him going up against DC and that working. It would need to be the right story and script and I'd want Denzel to play it absolutely straight.

I see Denzel more easily than Chiwetol, who doesn't seem villain material to me. Happy to be disproved though. He is also a good actor. I see Chiwetol more in the tslightly campy tradition of villains.

The age difference between Denzel and DC would be better. I like my Bond-villain relationships to be a little Oedipal.
    Yep, I like the villain to be older than Bond. Although isn't Idris Elba supposed to
    Be the next villain ?
    ( sorry if I've missed some earlier posts)
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Yep, I like the villain to be older than Bond. Although isn't Idris Elba supposed to
    Be the next villain ?
    ( sorry if I've missed some earlier posts)

I hadn't picked up on that rumour. Not sure about Idris. Loved him in the Wire but sort of underwhelmed since then. Although Luther was entertaining enough.
    Perhaps Hoytema's work load doesn't begin until January, while the second unit starts in December.
    It's just a rumour like almost everyone's been mentioned for it, but he did have a few meetings with the Producers, way back and has been very quiet since. ;)
    Loved him in Luther, if he was to be the villain I'd be very happy.