SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

Sorry for the double posts. The forum obviously can not cope with Internet signal loss due to a metro tube, as it keeps automatically saving every time. Making it a messy experience to post via smartphone
    I think Elba is too much of a screen presence to be a henchman. he would have to be the main villain.
    We've had some strong henchmen in the past( Odd job, Tee Hee) but they should never overshadow the main villain.
    Where did this idea come from that Christoph Waltz is typecast for playing villains? As far as I'm aware he only played a major villain in Inglorious Basterds. How is that any different than Javier Bardem having previously played a major villain in No Country for Old Men? Maybe Waltz has played other villainous parts as well, but surely those parts have not been so frequent or so famous as to preclude him from playing a Bond villain one day. Whether or not Bond 24 is the film for him, I'd love to see Waltz join the franchise as a main baddie.

As I already tried to say. Thanks man :-).
  • RC7RC7
    I admire the fact that you have been following this actor, because he came from the same neighborhood as you came from. But really....if that was an argument to give Elba the job, Ithen I would be worried.

That isn't what he said. He was explaining that he has a vested interest in Elba's work and thus understands that he has the tools needed to deliver as a Bond villain.
  • I hope Elba isn't the villain mainly because I think he'd make a good Bond one day. I couldn't care less that he's black, he's a good actor and has the look.

idris_elba_05.jpg
    0601ielba2.jpg

As far as a black actor goes for Bond 24, could Denzel be in the running? He has nothing lined up currently according to IMDB. He looked an awful lot like Blofeld in The Equaliser.

denzel_washington_67118.jpg
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Idris Elba would be a brilliant James Bond but I don't think that'll happen now (he'll be too old once Craig leaves). Him playing a villain would be awesome.

@Guatav You say Elba wouldn't make a good Bond villain because he's done too many "nice" roles but then you just list some recent blockbuster movies you've seen him in as evidence of this. His most famous role, and I think his best performance, was Stinger Bell in The Wire. And he was not a nice guy.

Elba could play a great villain. He's a brilliant actor with lots of intensity and charisma who would play off Craig well. In fact I think the only problem with casting him is that he might actually end up outshining Craig.

Also, who says villains have to look ugly? It helps sure but it's not a requirement and I think it's stupid to write off Efijor and now Elba because of this.

Take Leonardo Dicaprio in Django. He's good looking, he's a pretty boy even. But he was a brilliant twisted, psychotic villain.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited October 2014 Posts: 11,139
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading. Elba too soft and not mean - looking enough??? OK so it's clear many people haven't seen much of his work. Period. Dude can be a beast but some of the criteria I'm hearing in general to cast a villain just sounds a bit wish-washy.

Okay, here we go:

"Thor": An understated performance of Elba as Heimdall the Guard to put it very positively. In any other way, quite a forgettable performance.
    "Prometheus": Part of an ensemble cast. Nice role as helmsman, but not impressive.
    "RocknRolla": Now in that movie I liked him :-). But it's from 2008.
    "Pacific Rim": Nice popcorn blockbuster...and I liked Elba in this one. Again, he played a good guy, but with lots of charisma (for a good-y).
    "No Good Deed": Downloaded this movie, as the reviews were rather bad. Kind of cliché revenche movie, though I liked Elba as the baddie. But just "liked". Never as impressive as, let's say, Waltz in "Inglorious Basterds" or Bardem in "NCFOM".
    "Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom": Nice but IMO slightly unoriginal biopic. I liked Elba as Mandela. Perfectly cast here.
    "Obsessed": Well, I couldn't be bothered to watch this one. Starring opposite Beyoncé Knowles...how lovely. But the above films I all saw.

So please don't say I haven't seen his movies :-). Nice filmography Elba has, but I'm by far not impressed. Too many "nice" roles, not any outstanding lead so far. If Debbie McWilliams invites him for a casting session, I would be very surprised. Especially after the success of Mads Mikkelsen and Javier Bardem.

OK let me explain, listing a few movies he's been in serves my point that you haven't seen much of his work. I say this based on what you've said compared to the fact that I've followed his career since the 90s as he's someone I'm vested in because he was quite well known in where I used to live growing which is where he also lived; Hackney and i've seen him perform live in the flesh and to say he's soft or cant be mean or tough is a bit of a joke, especially when you consider where he grew up; in this regard he's more qualified than you think.

Wow, I don't know what to say. So you say that listing these movies that I've seen is pointless in giving some arguments on why I want to see or not to see Elba as Bond villain?

That's not what I said or am saying. You said he doesn't look like villain - material as he looks too handsome and soft and you backed up your opinions by listing a few movies he's done that hardly champions his diversity and full body of work where he's proven contrary to your assumptions.
    I have great respect for you, and I admire the fact that you have been following this actor, because he came from the same neighborhood as you came from. But really....if that was an argument to give Elba the job, Ithen I would be worried. Also, I'd love my fellow countrywoman Carice van Houten to play the leading Bond girl. But I still think there are better possibilities. So I won't let certain pride I have for the marvellous van Houten interfer with that.

It was an argument to dispute your assumptions that you drew from a lack of exposure to his personal and professional experiences as a whole. Him being from the same place I grew up as a kid has nothing to do with him being applicable to be a villain in a Bond film; that would just be silly no? I have more of an interest to follow his career than some so I'm a bit more privy to what he's able to demonstrate compared to someone who hasn't seen that much of his work comparatively speaking.
    In all honesty, I have only seen the first season of HBO's "The Wire" so far. That was two years ago. I was terribly busy with a lot of other stuff. But I do need to catch up with Obama's favourite television series.

You should it was/is a great show.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    RC7 wrote: »
    I admire the fact that you have been following this actor, because he came from the same neighborhood as you came from. But really....if that was an argument to give Elba the job, Ithen I would be worried.

That isn't what he said. He was explaining that he has a vested interest in Elba's work and thus understands that he has the tools needed to deliver as a Bond villain.

Precisely and thank you.
    Idris Elba would be a brilliant James Bond but I don't think that'll happen now (he'll be too old once Craig leaves). Him playing a villain would be awesome.

@Guatav You say Elba wouldn't make a good Bond villain because he's done too many "nice" roles but then you just list some recent blockbuster movies you've seen him in as evidence of this. His most famous role, and I think his best performance, was Stinger Bell in The Wire. And he was not a nice guy.

Elba could play a great villain. He's a brilliant actor with lots of intensity and charisma who would play off Craig well. In fact I think the only problem with casting him is that he might actually end up outshining Craig.

Also, who says villains have to look ugly? It helps sure but it's not a requirement and I think it's stupid to write off Efijor and now Elba because of this.

Take Leonardo Dicaprio in Django. He's good looking, he's a pretty boy even. But he was a brilliant twisted, psychotic villain.

Two points to add up here: Idris Elba could and di play villainous roles in the past. If only for Stringer Bell, he certainly qualifies for Bond villain potential.

As for his beauty, I guess he is handsome, but in a virile way. He does look imposing and menacing. Bell had charisma and was certainly depicted as an attractive man able to charm the ladies, but he was also menacing and had an imposing presence. That said, just like Javier Bardem, another handsome man, Elba could easily be "uglified". And as I said, he looks far more threatening than Ejiofor from the get go.

And just for kicks and for all the people skeptical about Elba playing a villain, here is a clip from The Wire taken what? ten years ago? When he did not have the maturity he has now:
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    OK, all I'll say now is that I am hoping Idris Elba is cast as the main villain. I enjoy him as an actor very much and have no doubt he would be great.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I just thought of another black British actor, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, who is more than qualified for the villain role. He's not as popular as the above mentioned, but has appeared in movies such as The Bourne Identity .
    Danny Sapani who played Jason in the last production of Medea would be great too, although I think if it is going to be a British black actor, it will more likely be Idris Elba.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    What prompted all this? Any news? "I just want a name... just a name"
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited October 2014 Posts: 10,588
    Speaking of news, is it just me or does Daniel Craig seem to be balding? Apparently many doctors are recommending a hair transplant.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    What prompted all this?

Well, if you won't bother going back a couple of pages, you will never find out.

Precisely and thank you.

"Vested interest". It still is a certain interest. I don't have any "vested interest" in Christoph Waltz or Helen Mirren. Experience in someone's actor's work is not good enough for me. For my part you can write a thesis about Idris Elba. And I'm always interested to read that.

But.....that's not how it works I think. In the end it's about the acting skills in a film. And moreover, if a lot of people are thoroughly entertained by an actor. It's what "Cubby" once said to Lazenby: "You're not a star because you say you're a star, you're not a star because I say you're a star. You're a star when the big audience accepts you as a star. And that's something we still have to see!".

With this line in mind I can not help but saying that an actor like Waltz thoroughly entertained audiences with his roles.....on numerous occadions. With Elba that's the case too. Just, for me personally, not to an extent that Waltz has already shown.

I can only talk about movies I have seen. And even if my expertise about a certain actor extends to more than just a thoroughly entertaining performance, I will not let that prevail my arguments on why a certain actor should be chosen to be the next Bond villain. For me personally, Elba just doesn't do it for me yet.

Idris Elba as the villain? I am ok with that, going on his work schedule. Would prefer Ejifor though to be honest.

Really shocked that we have no further news to discuss still, but in having said that? After the farce of the film title being blown last time around? I am not surprised that EON are keeping tight lipped for now.

Have said before and I will say it again! Lets hope for something new tomorrow? ;) :))
  • RC7RC7

Precisely and thank you.

"Vested interest". It still is a certain interest. I don't have any "vested interest" in Christoph Waltz or Helen Mirren. Experience in someone's actor's work is not good enough for me. For my part you can write a thesis about Idris Elba. And I'm always interested to read that.

But.....that's not how it works I think. In the end it's about the acting skills in a film. And moreover, if a lot of people are thoroughly entertained by an actor. It's what "Cubby" once said to Lazenby: "You're not a star because you say you're a star, you're not a star because I say you're a star. You're a star when the big audience accepts you as a star. And that's something we still have to see!".

With this line in mind I can not help but saying that an actor like Waltz thoroughly entertained audiences with his roles.....on numerous occadions. With Elba that's the case too. Just, for me personally, not to an extent that Waltz has already shown.

I can only talk about movies I have seen. And even if my expertise about a certain actor extends to more than just a thoroughly entertaining performance, I will not let that prevail my arguments on why a certain actor should be chosen to be the next Bond villain. For me personally, Elba just doesn't do it for me yet.

You've a real skill for saying a lot while saying not very much at all.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 4,619
    Ok, we have talked a lot about the main villain but I am sure we all agree that the only thing that really matters is that they cast the magnificent EMILY BLUNT to play the main Bond girl. :bz

Precisely and thank you.

You've a real skill for saying a lot while saying not very much at all.

Well, that's why I told you before....let's chat on Skype one of these days. I told you before that sometimes it works better to make a point when seeing each/hearing each other. Forum sometimes becomes too much a matter of acting/reacting.

But then....I didn't have a response via PM yet from you. I guess you prefer let me "struggle" this way, so you can reduce my contributions to complete "nothing-ness".

So all I can say.....try harder to get my point.
    I still can't get pass the fact that you took the actor who played Stringer Bell looks too much like a nice guy... especially compared to Ejiofor. And especially since Elba played Stringer Bell.
  • RC7RC7

I get your point and it is largely pointless. Hence the idea of saying a lot, yet nothing at all.

I get your point and it is largely pointless. Hence the idea of saying a lot, yet nothing at all.

Finish your Felix Leiter TV series soon?
  • RC7RC7

Have you been drinking Gustav? You need some sleep.

I just came back from the cinema watching "A Most Wanted Man", which I thoroughly enjoyed.
  • RC7RC7

I just came back from the cinema watching "A Most Wanted Man", which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Good stuff, let's knock this on the head then, for the good of everyone.

Good stuff, let's knock this on the head then, for the good of everyone.

What do you mean by that...
    I have been thinking and now I believe it would be extremely disappointing if Emily Blunt only played the Bond girl. They should really consider dumping Sam Mendes and letting her direct the movie! Ok, she has never directed a movie in her life but after starring in movies like The Devil Wears Prada and Edge of Tomorrow I am sure she knows how to put a movie together. 8->

Ok, time to sleep I-)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    What prompted all this?

Well, if you won't bother going back a couple of pages, you will never find out.

I had already.
  • More Bond unrelated stuff. Idris Elba was also part of the UltraViolet 6 episodes show, one of the best TV show (story-wise, I mean) that I've ever seen (but I must admit I don't watch many of them, in particular when they're very "long"). An original background in a gritty London created in just a few episodes, and very mature themes in the mix. The production values and the direction are not as high as they are now in such shows, and the show may look dated to some, but I think it's still ace material nevertheless. But don't read too much about it beforehand or you'll be spoiled.

Here's an excerpt (the title says Stringer Bell, but it's not from the Wire at all, it's from Ultraviolet).