SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

May seems a great month to get them out. Look at Iron man and now Star Trek is coming. So, IF not 14, May 15 would be great and I have NOT given up on 14 entirely. We all know, they could be further then we know and I am pretty sure, film mags are just doing the same guessing game like we do. EON will lie through their teeth until they have something to tell.
    So, don't put the nail in the coffin of 14 yet.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    I don't know what the hell Babs and MGW are doing. Logan should be near to completing a script and finding a proper director shouldn't take six months. They can start shooting early 2014, then release the film in November 2014. Easy!
    Seriously, this sort of attitude, @Aziz_Fekkesh, is why I sometimes despair of Fandom.
    The only problem with a three year wait is that it doesn't guarantee results. TWINE-DAD is a three year wait and that hot mess is the worst film out of the 23. I think it's unfair to compare that to CR-QOS where we had a writer's strike as well as a director who thought he could reinvent the franchise.
    Well, I don't think you can ever guarantee results but you can improve your odds. It's a very fair point about the writers strike (also a problem for LTK) and I'd agree with you about DAD which is bottom of my list too. But GE, CR and SF are the three other films that benefitted from prolonged development periods and I don't think I'm unusual in rating them amongst the very best of the modern films.

And as the two-year turnaround has been a complaint from every single director who's had to face it since 1981, I think there's probably something in it.
    There's nothing we can do if new films are going to be every 3 years except to accept it. And so I will. But I think they could still do one every 2 and be successful, it just sounds like neither Barb nor Mike have their Dad's energy and drive.
    Well, Cubby was an incredible man. But I think criticism about the energy and drive of his successors is pretty harsh. On Wilson, especially. He's produced 10 massively successful films in 27 years. Most producers would kill for a record like that. On top of that, he exec'd three films beforehand, wrote all 5 of the 80s films, developed the James Bond Jnr cartoon, expanded Bond into the video game market, and fought a huge legal case against Sony and McClory in his capacity as Chairman of Danjaq. And he's just produced the most successful Bond film of all time. He's 71 years old. Maybe Cubby would win out in the energy and drive stakes. But you certainly can't accuse the man of being lazy.
    I don't know what the hell Babs and MGW are doing. Logan should be near to completing a script and finding a proper director shouldn't take six months. They can start shooting early 2014, then release the film in November 2014. Easy!

Right. It's REAL easy making an 007 movie. Snerk.
    Forester was announced I think in July 2007 so I think we have some time before we put the nail in the coffin
  • Do they give any further details, @Suivez_ce_parachute, or do you think that is based on the MGM statement.
    I don't know much about UK media, but in France they wrote 10% of what they know. In this movie business, secrets are virtually non-existent (amongts themselves I mean). Then they're wrong, it's rather than an actual project has been cancelled, and not that it never existed :)

• edited May 2013 Posts: 6,601
    Do they give any further details, @Suivez_ce_parachute, or do you think that is based on the MGM statement.
    I don't know much about UK media, but in France they wrote 10% of what they know. In this movie business, secrets are virtually non-existent (amongts themselves I mean). Then they're wrong, it's rather than an actual project has been cancelled, and not that it never existed :)

I have read too much nonsense in so called movie mags to believe, they know anything more then the rest of us at this point, UNLESS its been confirmed. THEN they will get the informaton maybe earlier, but that's about it. I think, Empire wrote about 2016 months ago and they just picked it up.

I believe, they will try absolutely everything to get this out as early as possible. Of course, we have seen, this is not always enough, but in this case we are not facing bankruptsy, so the problem should be solvable.

So - unless we don't hear anything until the end of July, I keep the 14 option open.
    Now that the Cannes film festival is starting maybe we'll get an announcement there.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 2,015
    Germanlady wrote:
    I have read too much nonsense in so called movie mags to believe, they know anything more then the rest of us at this point, UNLESS its been confirmed.

I've experienced first hand "big secrets" being leaked to me incredibly easily (like seeing the earliest Iron Man FX tests months before anyone talking about Marvel Phase 1 projects). Just because I was in the office for some unrelated stuff. But it was clear to everyone that talking about it would put you on a black list forever. Movie business is a business where many, if not all, people accept incredible unfair conditions to keep working on it, and to avoid having to work instead for the military business for instance. Agents of the actors are more paid than the stunt team actually taking care of the actor's life, you know :)

"Gossip mags" are full of invention yes, but the parts of movie mags that actually deals with movie business is not so full of nonsense as one thinks (in France at least and I can imagine it's the same everywhere - web sites are another matter...). Projects come and go very fast though now (with the credit crunch, many projects are killed at the last minute).
    Germanlady wrote:
    Of course, we have seen, this is not always enough, but in this case we are not facing bankruptsy, so the problem should be solvable.

Yearly speaking, Sony's stock is at an all time low, they had to sell their HQ in USA, etc. Monthly speaking Sony, they're at an all year best, but because rumors has it that hedge funds will force Sony to separate/sell/stop/whatever the movie business from the rest to focus on the core business. All this cannot have no impact on the schedule of the movies with labs full of Vaio computers, bus in the street with Vista adds, BluRay demos by the hero, etc, if you see what I mean :)

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    We see Ben Wishaw, but we heard Timothy Dalton ;)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Nice to see he's up for playing Q for life!
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 5,745
    Samuel001 wrote:

And he actually seems genuinely happy and excited to be a part of the series. That's so good to see.
  • Strelik wrote:
    my number 1 choice to helm Bond 24 is being hotly tipped to direct that Fifty Shades Of Grey film...

Maybe Babs and Michael can convince him otherwise and get Bond 24 on track for a Nov 2014 release.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/joe-wright-joins-fifty-shades-520289
    Today, several websites revealed Joe Wright will not be directing "Fifty Shades of Grey" due to scheduling issues. As such, he -might- still be in the running for Bond 24:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/joe-wright-drops-out-of-the-race-to-direct-fifty-shades-of-grey-20130513

This is good news. Have not read the book but have only heard terrible things about it! Glad Joe Wright won't be wasting his talent on that.
    Still looking forward to hearing his name announced as the Bond 24 director and a Nov 2014 release!

Not good nor understandable. But why would Pinewood not be good enough anymore?
    I don't see it threatening 24 though. Its just making waves about Bond leaving the UK.

Bond threat as UK studio bid snubbed
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/400018/Bond-threat-as-UK-studio-bid-snubbed
  • Germanlady wrote:
    Not good nor understandable. But why would Pinewood not be good enough anymore?
    I don't see it threatening 24 though. Its just making waves about Bond leaving the UK.

Bond threat as UK studio bid snubbed
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/400018/Bond-threat-as-UK-studio-bid-snubbed

Definitely. It's a key part of Pinewood's PR campaign - aimed at demonstrating the expansion plan is vital to the continued success of the British film industry. Their reasoning is very solid but fairly opaque to the general public. So it's easier to say that "Bond might leave the UK" as this will prompt an emotional response.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I don't think you can even assume that bastions like Empire are not guilty of posting speculation, a good bit of jounalism especially on the net is copy and paste. I mean why bother to research when you can steal someone elses.

I can imagine quite a few stories that are just rumours have spread on world wide web as fact.

Shardlake wrote:
    I don't think you can even assume that bastions like Empire are not guilty of posting speculation, a good bit of jounalism especially on the net is copy and paste. I mean why bother to research when you can steal someone elses.

I can imagine quite a few stories that are just rumours have spread on world wide web as fact.

Exactly. And not only those. I have found it in more serious papers as well. Lazy journalism is more common then the opposite. I am quite sure, at this point, nobody knows exactly and EON will lie through their teeth until D-Day.
  • Shardlake wrote:
    I don't think you can even assume that bastions like Empire are not guilty of posting speculation, a good bit of jounalism especially on the net
    That's why I reported it because it's in the printed issue about future releases, not in a news tidbit on the web.
    I also think that 200+ persons will be aware directly or indirectly of the date of Bond 24 well before the "D-Day". If you want to have Ben Wishaw on your next project to convince producers to back you, you'd better be sure about when he'll really be available, etc...
    The current battle between Sony and his biggest stockholder (about the fate of the movie department in particular) cannot not have any impact IMO, no one knows the result yet, and no one will stay still just waiting for this to be resolved. It involve funds that are bigger than the whole box office of the whole EON films for 50 years... Announcing an Angry Birds movie for 2016 should not be enough to calm down all this !

Sorry, but can you be more explicit.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

And he actually seems genuinely happy and excited to be a part of the series. That's so good to see.

Yes, Whishaw seems like a genuinely nice guy who is very keen on what's he doing. I would certainly like if he carried on with playing Q for many more years!

• edited May 2013 Posts: 3,494
    For the record, I never meant to imply that Barb or Mike were "lazy". It's more Mike's comment about how "tired" he was after filming QOS two years after CR. To me, that demonstrates he doesn't want or isn't in shape to do a new movie every 2 years. He wants some down time in between films. And at age 71, with as much effort as everyone at EON puts into each new entry, I can respect his sentiment. However, Cubby managed it throughout the 80's and he was 80 when LTK debuted, hence my statement about lack of drive. Cubby made sure that we got our fix every 2 years and that's part of what I expect from his successors unless a reasonable excuse such as the MGM issues occur. Thus, there is no good reason yet that I can see why we have to wait longer than 2014, and I'm sure a competent director that they would approve of can be found, if they haven't done so already.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 388
    For the record, I never meant to imply that Barb or Mike were "lazy". It's more Mike's comment about how "tired" he was after filming QOS two years after CR. To me, that demonstrates he doesn't want or isn't in shape to do a new movie every 2 years. He wants some down time in between films. And at age 71, with as much effort as everyone at EON puts into each new entry, I can respect his sentiment. However, Cubby managed it throughout the 80's and he was 80 when LTK debuted, hence my statement about lack of drive.

All very fair points @SirHenry. Although, to look at it another way, Cubby produced Bond films for 27 years. MGW has now been producing the films for 28 years. And he exec'd for 5 years prior to that and, of course, wrote for 8 years too. Also worth pointing out that whilst Cubby was 80 when LTK debuted, he had to miss most of the shoot because the heat + altitude + his age was a bit too much for him.

Not trying to turn this into Cubby v MGW. As I said earlier, I think the primary reason behind the longer gaps is that they just need more development time now.
  • Germanlady wrote:

Explicit about what ? The hedge fund has stated a few days ago it would start putting pressure on separating Sony Entertainment from the rest, so that it becomes a company that should earn money by itself etc, and now the news is all over the place, and no one knows what will happen (since the stock has climbed, it's a good news according to many investors, that's all that can be said now).

http://wap.nytimes.com/blogs/dealbook/2013/05/14/hedge-fund-manager-daniel-loeb-targets-sony-for-a-breakup/

Baz is saying Nolan is being talked to
    Germanlady wrote:

Explicit about what ? The hedge fund has stated a few days ago it would start putting pressure on separating Sony Entertainment from the rest, so that it becomes a company that should earn money by itself etc, and now the news is all over the place, and no one knows what will happen (since the stock has climbed, it's a good news according to many investors, that's all that can be said now).

http://wap.nytimes.com/blogs/dealbook/2013/05/14/hedge-fund-manager-daniel-loeb-targets-sony-for-a-breakup/

You are such a number person, but not everybody is. You can't expect everybody being able to "read" stock markets and the likes. So, what does that mean for Bond? Do they have to settle whatever before they can start shooting or what?
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 388
    @Suivez_ce_parachute, what impact do you expect the Sony situation to have? My understanding is that they're operating as normal. Even if Sony Entertainment is spun off as a separate company (and it's a huge "if" - Loeb's hedge fund only owns about 5% of the company and the company has repeatedly stated Sony Ent. is not for sale), Sony would want it to be operating fully in order to maximise its stock prices.

In other news, it was announced yesterday in Cannes that Wilson and Broccoli are financing and exec'ing The Silent Storm, a drama to be released next year. This makes me suspect that 2014 is looking increasingly unlikely for Bond 24 (and, as you know, I wasn't holding out a great deal of hope for it anyway.)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2325894/Dark-Knight-rise-James-Bond-Christopher-Nolan-approached-direct-007-film.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Big Bond 24 development today guys.

Christopher Nolan has been approuched to direct Bond 24. Personally i think he's a great choice albeit a bit obvious. Mendes was an offbeat choice and really payed off dividents and I thought the prods would have continued in that vein, especailly when considering the appointment of Marc Forster prior.

The fact Nolan has met with the producers is encouraging but it may just be a courtesy on his behalf. But Nolan is a huge Bond fan and has often paid homage to them in is films.
    Morgan Freeman's character in the Batman films is clearly a homage to Q
    Nolan's big trademark openings are clearly tributes to the classic Bond pre-titles.
    The Joker's knife in shoe is reminiesnt of Rosa Klebb's similar device.
    Nolan has openly admitted that the ending of Inception was inspired by OHMSS.

Nolan would own Bond, I was just hoping for someone a little more exciting and odd. Another Sam Mendes really.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2325894/Dark-Knight-rise-James-Bond-Christopher-Nolan-approached-direct-007-film.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Big Bond 24 development today guys.

Christopher Nolan has been approuched to direct Bond 24. Personally i think he's a great choice albeit a bit obvious. Mendes was an offbeat choice and really payed off dividents and I thought the prods would have continued in that vein, especailly when considering the appointment of Marc Forster prior.

The fact Nolan has met with the producers is encouraging but it may just be a courtesy on his behalf. But Nolan is a huge Bond fan and has often paid homage to them in is films.
    Morgan Freeman's character in the Batman films is clearly a homage to Q
    Nolan's big trademark openings are clearly tributes to the classic Bond pre-titles.
    The Joker's knife in shoe is reminiesnt of Rosa Klebb's similar device.
    Nolan has openly admitted that the ending of Inception was inspired by OHMSS.

Nolan would own Bond, I was just hoping for someone a little more exciting and odd. Another Sam Mendes really.

I can agree or see your reasoning behind some of your comments on Nolan's Bond influences, but Mr. Freeman's character Lucius Fox first appeared in the late seventies, so he isn't Nolan's nod to Q to be fair.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 2,015
    @Suivez_ce_parachute, what impact do you expect the Sony situation to have?
    I think it means complete uncertainty over how to secure a significant part of the budget. CR is so full of Sony advertisement it would have been a major criticism if the film had been so-so overall. Sony's product placement is not as cringeworthy as the 15 seconds of the Ford ad, but it was all over the place as soon as anything electronic was involved (notice that Malaka's phone looks cheap and has no brand though :) ). QoS was a bit more about cars, but SF was also back to a lot of electronics placement, but a bit more subtle, the alleged massive Heineken deal may have helped that, it's hard to tell.

Another distributor (and that includes Sony Entertainment as a separate company if that happens) wouldn't be able to do so much movie placements, and would on the contrary ask for its share of the "benefit" instead of "giving" some this way in exchange for ads, etc.

And having 6.5% of the stock is huge, he would be #1 or #2 according to last year's info, the last one publicly available :

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/stock/information.html

it means when he says his plan would make stockholders 30% richer, he's putting his mouth where "his" money is, it's not some consultant paid to give external advice... - or some CEO getting very well paid whatever the results. Stockholders usually like that :) But here many observers wonder what will be the result of Japanese' patriotic feelings vs Money talking, as it's the first time it happens it seems.

Germanlady wrote:
    You can't expect everybody being able to "read" stock markets and the likes.

No one can ! (or he would be the richest person in the world in the nick of time). But everyone having to secure a budget doesn't like uncertainty, so it's hard to imagine it has no impact on the schedule.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-19/james-bond-can-t-fix-sony-as-japan-electronics-scrape-lows-tech.html
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    Cubby managed a film every two years. I just want as many films with Craig before he gets too old to play the role. I haven't heard anything on the new film in a couple of months and I'm wondering where they are in production. And not sure summer 2015 would work...Bond hasn't been released in summer since LTK and it'd be going up against Avengers 2 and some other big films...