SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I would love for the films to get back on a two-year track, like they promised after SF.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2014 Posts: 13,352
    That's what I'm getting at. For all we know, they already have Bond 25 very much in mind for 2017 and have maybe even, discussed this with Mendes?...

Anyway, this early casting process is encouraging, if only for the current film and how on top of things people involved appear to be.

I'm happy. Now, just don't overuse the great, minor, MI6 characters. :)
    Agreed. If they're this far ahead, I'm sure this isn't the only thing they have going on. There has to be a great deal more that we aren't expecting.
    LeChiffre wrote:
    as long as Bond doesn't drive a Volvo, I'm happy with a Scandinavanian locale!

Over the last few years, Volvo have actually gotten their styling up to scratch. Not the same old boring box-mobiles they used to manufacture.

Creasy47 wrote:
    I would love for the films to get back on a two-year track, like they promised after SF.

Why? I think it's very clear they can produce much better movies with three year (or longer) gaps between them. Even if that wasn't the case, shorter gaps would still diminish the franchise. Hype is much more powerful if Bond films are released less frequently.

Creasy47 wrote:

Why? I think it's very clear they can produce much better movies with three year (or longer) gaps between them. Even if that wasn't the case, shorter gaps would still diminish the franchise. Hype is much more powerful if Bond films are released less frequently.

I still don't understand the whole "if the films are released in shorter gaps, the quality will be lesser" argument. When has that happened recently to prove it? DAD had a three year gap, and look how that turned out, and although I love QoS, I know I'm in the minority with that, but one of the reasons QoS turned out the way it did (for those who hated it) was due to the writer's strike, I would say.

When the franchise first started and was in its prime, the films were getting released in even shorter gaps, and those are still rated as some of the best Bond films. Granted, they were based off the novels, it was the 60's, it was Sean Connery, etc., but I really don't think the quality is going to be worse if they release them every two years than if they did every three or four.

Now, if it got to the point where it's the same old rehashed junk and they release a film every November, then it's a problem. A lot of work goes into the movies, but it's not something they absolutely need at least three or more years for. Two years seems ample enough to me to churn out one hell of a Bond adventure.
    LeChiffre wrote:
    as long as Bond doesn't drive a Volvo, I'm happy with a Scandinavanian locale!

Over the last few years, Volvo have actually gotten their styling up to scratch. Not the same old boring box-mobiles they used to manufacture.

They are also very reliable cars.
    With production on this film also starting around the same time, does it make it less likely that Ejiofor could squeeze in Bond?

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/cannes-chiwetel-ejiofor-gwyneth-paltrow-star-in-the-secret-in-their-eyes-billy-ray-directing-remake-for-bustling-im-global

In think it would be OK, as the bulk of his scenes could be shot later, near the end of the shoot, early next year.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    So, with the latest news, we can assume that this actresses had been tested?

Ida Engvoll
    Disa Östrand
    Synnøve Macody Lund
    Birgitte Hjort Sørensen
    Ingrid Bolsø Berdal
    Yeah, so only three more to go. Or could it be someone else entirely?
    @Samuel001, it could happen. Like we were talking about, they might already have a big idea of when he will film now that he's taking on another project, but we'll see. Nothing has been confirmed, so someone else entirely could play the B24 villain.
    With the comments Ejiofor has made, I can't see him saying no. At least, I'd like to think he won't.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I still don't understand the whole "if the films are released in shorter gaps, the quality will be lesser" argument. When has that happened recently to prove it? DAD had a three year gap, and look how that turned out, and although I love QoS, I know I'm in the minority with that, but one of the reasons QoS turned out the way it did (for those who hated it) was due to the writer's strike, I would say.

When the franchise first started and was in its prime, the films were getting released in even shorter gaps, and those are still rated as some of the best Bond films. Granted, they were based off the novels, it was the 60's, it was Sean Connery, etc., but I really don't think the quality is going to be worse if they release them every two years than if they did every three or four.

Now, if it got to the point where it's the same old rehashed junk and they release a film every November, then it's a problem. A lot of work goes into the movies, but it's not something they absolutely need at least three or more years for. Two years seems ample enough to me to churn out one hell of a Bond adventure.

1. If there was only a two year gap between TWINE and DAD then Die Another Day would have been even worse.
    2. They could never produce Bond movies every year nowadays like they did in the 60s. Not because the new movies are not based on novels but because big budget filmmaking is a much longer process nowadays.
    3. As I wrote, even if two years were long enough to make great Bond movies consistently, people would get tired of them. There was much less hype before QOS than before DAD, CR or SF.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    With the comments Ejiofor has made, I can't see him saying no. At least, I'd like to think he won't.

He can say no for a number of reasons, among them a conflicting schedule. Mikkelsen was not the first choice to play Le Chiffre, if I am not mistaken.
    @PanchitoPistoles

1.) I'm just pointing out that longer gaps do not equal better films. There's no guarantee of that.
    2.) Agreed, that's what I was trying to get at.
    3.) Who says people would get tired of them? A lot of films that are done once a year manage to still rake in money, even though franchises like those merely milk the teet of the series. One film every other year doesn't necessarily mean people will tire of them too fast.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited May 2014 Posts: 45,489
    The Jungle Book 2 took 36 years, and the copies should be burned. Time does not equal quality.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Ludovico wrote:
    Am I the only one who doesn't think she's attractive enough? I suppose it comes down to personal taste but she does nothing for me.

Well she has not been cast yet, but her.beauty is adequate for a Bond girl. A bit etheral maybe, not exactly my type but far more attractive and classy than say Denise Richards.

Have to disagree with you there. Classier maybe, and probably a much better actress, but I think Denise Richards was (at the time of TWINE, she looks awful now) much more attractive than this girl.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 4,619
    @Creasy47: QOS would have been a much better film if they didn't rush it. Skyfall would have been a worse film if the issues with MGM didn't allow Mendes & the producers to work on the film one year longer. I am sure Bond 24 will benefit from one extra year too.
    The Jungle Book 2 took 36 years, and the copies should be burned. Time does not equal quality.

Bad example as they didn't work on that film for 36 years.
    If there are issues, work them out. I'm not saying that everything couldn't benefit from an extra six months to a year of work, but it's not necessarily a guarantee of better quality or overall performance. I've seen some films/games get delayed numerous times, and sometimes, the product is amazing and well worth the wait. Other times? It's terrible and I can't find out what the extra time was spent on.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I've seen some films/games get delayed numerous times, and sometimes, the product is amazing and well worth the wait. Other times? It's terrible and I can't find out what the extra time was spent on.

Those games and films probably would have been even worse without the delay. I understand that some Bond fans want to see a new Bond movie as often as posssible. I used to think the same way but than I realised that too much of something you love is not a good thing. Just like eating too much chocolate.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I've seen some films/games get delayed numerous times, and sometimes, the product is amazing and well worth the wait. Other times? It's terrible and I can't find out what the extra time was spent on.

Those games and films probably would have been even worse without the delay.

Sometimes, I highly doubt that, given the laughable quality they're shipped in. It's just one example, but 'Duke Nukem Forever' took years and numerous delays before it was released, and look how that turned out. You can't get much worse than that. A delay can always help, but there's no way of saying for absolute fact that if ___ is delayed, it WILL be better.
    Time does not equal quality.

This. I've seen plenty of really good sequels that came out after two years (The Raid 2 being a recent example) and I've seen shit sequels after a longer gap between films (Die Hard 5 being a recent example).
    Creasy47 wrote:
    but 'Duke Nukem Forever' took years and numerous delays before it was released, and look how that turned out. You can't get much worse than that.

Maybe it's because I got it for a fiver but I quite liked that. I thought it was fun.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @Creasy47: QOS would have been a much better film if they didn't rush it. Skyfall would have been a worse film if the issues with MGM didn't allow Mendes & the producers to work on the film one year longer. I am sure Bond 24 will benefit from one extra year too.

Bad example as they didn't work on that film for 36 years.

Haha, how about the Star Wars prequels then? Those ideas had been brewing since the 70s, and Lucas started working on them early in the 90s for real.
    @thelivingroyale, that could be why. I feel terrible for the lot who bought it brand new for $60. I haven't played it, but after the countless negative reviews I read, it sounded like the equivalent of burning your money.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Am I the only one who doesn't think she's attractive enough? I suppose it comes down to personal taste but she does nothing for me.

Well she has not been cast yet, but her.beauty is adequate for a Bond girl. A bit etheral maybe, not exactly my type but far more attractive and classy than say Denise Richards.

Have to disagree with you there. Classier maybe, and probably a much better actress, but I think Denise Richards was (at the time of TWINE, she looks awful now) much more attractive than this girl.

Class is also part of the attraction, hence why I never found Denise Richards attractive. Not as Bond girl material anyway.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @thelivingroyale, that could be why. I feel terrible for the lot who bought it brand new for $60. I haven't played it, but after the countless negative reviews I read, it sounded like the equivalent of burning your money.

The graphics were crap and a lot of the gags were outdated but I thought running around shooting aliens while Duke cracked one liners was fun.

I think a good example of time not meaning quality, video game wise, is the last Aliens game. Christ that was awful. "The true sequel to James Camerons Aliens" arrogant twats, it was a thousand times worse than Alien 3 and 4. I felt really ripped off when I played that, mainly because they'd lied and shown fake footage in the adverts.
    Wasn't that the one that received a lot of backlash because of how terrible it was? That's another example. I didn't play that, either, but after reading about it, it even makes me hesitant to pick up 'Aliens: Isolation' or whatever the upcoming survival horror version is.
    This. I've seen plenty of really good sequels that came out after two years (The Raid 2 being a recent example) and I've seen shit sequels after a longer gap between films (Die Hard 5 being a recent example).

The longer gap is only useful when they use it. For example if there is a 5 year gap between two films but they start working on the second film only 2 years before the release date, that is the same scenario as a two year gap.

All I am saying is that in most cases the longer they actually work on a film the better it will be. And no, I am not saying a movie they worked on for 6 years is usually better than a movie they worked on for 2 years. I am saying that a movie with a short production time would be better compared to itself if they worked on it for a longer time.
    @Creasy47 Isolation looks really good, I like how it's a horror game rather than an action one, but then the last one looked really good too. To be fair it is different people making it so I should give them the benefit of the doubt but I'm waiting for reviews this time. I've learnt my lesson.
    In the end, it boils down to me missing having a Bond film once every other year, and while I'm not upset if they want to take an extra year or two to work on things and polish the script, I would prefer getting back to that schedule, it was nice. I think I also say this because the longer I wait, the more excited and hyped I get, and I usually end up being let down when it comes to that (i.e. SF). Though, of course, that's my fault.