Licence to Gift-wrap- What Christmas Gifts Have You Gotten This Year?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    My parents got me a lot of nice clothes and some socks and $50, which will happily go towards my college textbooks and cigarettes to get me through this semester alone. Went to a family dinner last night and one of my aunts got me a small bottle of Smirnoff and another aunt got me...a half-gallon bottle of Smirnoff. I thanked them for seeing me as a drunk during the holidays. My girlfriend got me a bunch of blu-rays: 'Insidious,' 'The House Of The Devil,' 'The Pacific' miniseries, 'The World's End,' 'We're The Millers,' 'Fast & Furious 6,' and a few others I'm sure I've missed. I made out real well this year, got to spend time with a lot of family, so it was a great time.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2013 Posts: 13,905
    Mostly Doctor Who merchandise this year:

Doctor Who: The Shadow Heart - Audio Book (McCoy)
    Doctor Who: Persuasion - Audio Book (McCoy)
    Doctor Who: Animal - Audio Book (McCoy)
    Doctor Who: Earth Aid - Audio Book (McCoy)
    Doctor Who: Ace - 5" Action Figure
    Doctor Who: Tomb Of The Cybermen: Cyberman - 5" Action Figure
    Setting Sun - DVD (Diane Lane)
    Socks
    Toiletries

And my birthday is in 4 days time, so I can go on a spending spree to buy all those DVDs that I have had to abstain from buying during the last month.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 6,396
    @Creasy47 The money I received will go towards my cigarettes also. ;-)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote:
    'The House Of The Devil,'
    Excellent choice, @Creasy47!
    @WillyGalore, happy to know I'm not the only one! I can get a carton for about $35, so I'll be nabbing me two cartons before I'm off to college.

@DarthDimi, yes it is, thank you! I can't wait to dig into it. Now I need to acquire 'The Innkeepers,' as well.
    @Creasy47, another nice film, particularly because it has the lovely Sara Paxton in it. I'm sure @MajorDSmythe will agree with me. ;-)
    I thought she was wonderful in it, and it was incredibly eerie. My girlfriend and I were really anticipating it, and she was a bit let down, but I thought the creepiest parts were the unknown, the anticipation, and the waiting. I have only seen it once, so I'm sure once I get it again, it'll all be new to me once more.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    House Of The Devil? Absolutely, it's a fantastic film, it's also in my top 10 list of Horror films of the 2000's. Do you know how I came across The House Of The Devil? I was looking for DVD cases in Poundland, and I bought it just for the case. That is until I got curious and watched it.

And Sara Paxton is great in The Inkeepers, she's also good in the remake of The Last House On The Left, but that film is by no means easy to watch.
    House Of The Devil? Absolutely, it's a fantastic film, it's also in my top 10 list of Horror films of the 2000's. Do you know how I came across The House Of The Devil? I was looking for DVD cases in Poundland, and I bought it just for the case. That is until I got curious and watched it.

And Sara Paxton is great in The Inkeepers, she's also good in the remake of The Last House On The Left, but that film is by no means easy to watch.

I agree, @MajorDSmythe, and to be frank, I find the Craven/Cunningham original even more difficult to watch.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 40,561
    @MajorDSmythe, that sounds like a really interesting way to come across it. I've no clue how I came across it, I guess it was one of those low budget horror films that got rave reviews that I had to check out. Glad I made the choice to do so.

I agree, 'The Last House On The Left' is unrelenting and brutal. I was looking up some recommended horror films the other night and I heard of one (I suppose it's considered horror) that nobody recommends because of how hard it is to watch: 'A Serbian Film'.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 23,634
    I really wouldn't touch that one, @Creasy47. From what I've gathered, it's quite simply repulsive to the point where The Human Centipede is Bambi compared to it.
    @DarthDimi, that's what I've heard, and that it has an unbelievable amount of things that are disgustingly unspeakable. I've heard bits and pieces, just sounds like it's a gut-wrenching time.
    I'm always up to a challenge myself but some things simply cross the line. Some things are just wrong. I can easily stomach The Human Centipede, surprisingly enough, but A Serbian Film seems in bad taste overall.
    Four cristal red-wine glasses
    cd The Heist - Macklemore
    cd Tribute - John Newman
    book Harvest of tIme - Alistair Reynolds [doctor Who HC]
    book Goldfinch - Donna Tartt
    book The ocean at the end of the Time -Neil Gaiman [first print]

And a framed picture that my parents let take of themselves [dad being 77 and mum almost 70], it will be on my wall in a prominent place. The fact my mum did get my dad to pose is a close you get to a christmas miracle as you can get.
    SaintMark wrote:
    The fact my mum did get my dad to pose is a close you get to a christmas miracle as you can get.

He's photo shy then, @SaintMark? ;-) I must admit so am I, to some extent.

DarthDimi wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    The fact my mum did get my dad to pose is a close you get to a christmas miracle as you can get.

He's photo shy then, @SaintMark? ;-) I must admit so am I, to some extent.

Not shy, he thinks they are a waste of his time.

• RC7RC7
    My girlfriend surprised the hell out of me. As a joint Christmas/30th Birthday present I will be going to Japan for two weeks, taking in such Bond locations as Hameji castle. I'm overwhelmed and excited to be leaving in around 36 hours. Hope everybody is having a great Christmas.
    RC7 wrote:
    My girlfriend surprised the hell out of me. As a joint Christmas/30th Birthday present I will be going to Japan for two weeks, taking in such Bond locations as Hameji castle. I'm overwhelmed and excited to be leaving in around 36 hours. Hope everybody is having a great Christmas.

Wow, that sounds absolutely amazing. I hope you have a wonderful time there, and happy holidays to you!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    A Wii U with a few games.
    Die Hard Legacy Collection on Bluray.
    Back To The Future Trilogy on Bluray.
    The Dark Knight Returns deluxe edition.
    A Cold Steel Rubber Knife
    A replica Resident Evil STARS police badge
    Shoulder holster
    3 Old PC joysticks to make more GoldenEye mine replicas
    and a discontinued Nerf Longshot I plan to modify for my movie. :D
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    In the video game department, I got a PlayStation Network card, Batman: Arkham Origins and The Last of Us; I am enjoying the former so far. I also got a lot of Marilyn Monroe related gifts, including a blanket with her image on it, some ornaments, a calendar and a brilliant book of photos and biographical bits on her life, much of which I've never seen before. There was also the regular clothes and stuff like that, and also a replica pocket watch akin to one Jesse James once robbed a train conductor of, which is interesting, and considering I'm old fashioned it's a cool thing to have.

I hope everyone has been having a nice holiday. I'm about to eat Christmas dinner very soon: chicken and potatoes with gravy.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, sounds like a nice Christmas. I just had a huge Christmas dinner, I think I'm going to go into hibernation now for a few months.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, sounds like a nice Christmas. I just had a huge Christmas dinner, I think I'm going to go into hibernation now for a few months.

Yes, it was nice. I don't really need/ask for anything major as I am quite content with all I have and there isn't anything I feel the need to have beyond a couple of games or books that interest me, so I like years like this where it's a more simple and quiet Christmas. It helps being older now, too.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Yes, it was nice. I don't really need/ask for anything major as I am quite content with all I have and there isn't anything I feel the need to have beyond a couple of games or books that interest me, so I like years like this where it's a more simple and quiet Christmas. It helps being older now, too.

Same here. As the years have passed, I'm just way more into giving gifts than receiving them.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 14,037
    I received 007 Aftershave
    I've smelt that aftershave before, Willy- not that I'm calling you a rat or anything. ;)
    and Sir Roger's Bond On Bond book (wanted that last year)
    I got that book last Christmas- and I must say, it's quite a good read.

I received some cash money and a whole heap of souvenir goodies including playing cards and drinking glasses from my parents' P&O cruise to New Caledonia- but most notably, a professional camera and carry bag. Expect to see some very Bondian photos soon!
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 1,817
    - X-Men Origins: Wolverine (so I have the complete collection so far)
    - I Walk the Line (a little know movie with Gregory Peck and the music written and played by Johnny Cash)
    - 2 albums of Johnny Cash
    - The book Johnny Cash: The Life by Robert Hilburn that came out this year
    - Some clothes (boring but useful)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited December 2013 Posts: 17,696
    I got the Airwolf movie that showed in Europe back in '84-'85- never seen it B4.
    Also- Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood 2nd half on DVD.
    chrisisall wrote:
    I got the Airwolf movie that showed in Europe back in '84-'85- never seen it B4.

I loved Airwolf. Remember making the helicopter out of LEGO as a kid :-)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    What I really wanted was a deactivated PPK, alas it was not to be...
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 2,483
    It was a nice haul:

Two DVDs (well over 16 hours worth of footage) of retro TV commercials from the 40s through the 70s.

Gray, Eddie Bauer sweatshirt.

A ruggedly built, halogen mini-flashlight (torch for the Brits)

Ultra-cool globe by Scanglobe:

b-pop-up-GSG.jpg

A nifty dashboard-mounted altimeter/barometer, which I have already installed on our 2012 Malibu.

A kaleidoscope.

Some coffee and various munchies.

Some wine.

A scenic New Mexico wall calendar.

A bottle of retro Lemon Up Shampoo.

LemonUp3.png
  • RC7 wrote:

That's terrific.