Dalton as Bond: TLD vs. LTK

Comments

• ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    He was James Bond, of course it peaked
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    I really thought in the late 80s that Bond was totally heading in the right direction, and then it got totally derailed and I had to wait almost 20 years for the show to get back on the road.
    To ME, the series peaked with Dalton.

What about your man Brosnan? ;)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    What about your man Brosnan? ;)
    I love the Brozz, but he was no Daltinator.

Birdleson wrote: »
    When he say's "Q, I could have killed you!" he comes off like young Anakin on that pod racing planet. Can't do the lighter bits.
    Sorry, I love Dalton. Literally every moment & line. He defines flawless for me. Like Craig in much of QOS.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Both tld and LTK are brilliant. But ltk is better. John glens best film and lots of use of Fleming in the script. The tld has a better score, but Karen did and admirable job. I am a strong dalton supporter because I have read and love all the Fleming books. The masses love bonds such as Brosnan because they don't like or are ignorant to the 14 brilliant Fleming books.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    When he say's "Q, I could have killed you!" he comes off like young Anakin on that pod racing planet. Can't do the lighter bits.

I disagree. I personally liked his handling of the lighter moments. He was no Moore or Connery, but he didn't try to be. I liked his dryness. That being said, it's been damn near 6 months since I've seen either of his films. Hoping to get a start on the series again this month.

I've probably posted this somewhere else but I'll put in my succinct opinion on the "which Dalton Bond film is better" debate:

THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS
    I've probably posted this somewhere else but I'll put in my succinct opinion on the "which Dalton Bond film is better" debate:

THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS

For ME they are separate but equal.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,425
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Both tld and LTK are brilliant. But ltk is better. John glens best film and lots of use of Fleming in the script. The tld has a better score, but Karen did and admirable job. I am a strong dalton supporter because I have read and love all the Fleming books. The masses love bonds such as Brosnan because they don't like or are ignorant to the 14 brilliant Fleming books.

I loved Dalton long before reading any of the books. And I've never been a fan of Brosnan.

I think most people respond to the acting . But I've heard lots of people say that it was only after reading the books that they appreciated Dalton.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    While I love the edginess and darkness of Licence To Kill, it felt a little off for me as a Bond film, sounding more like atmospheric Miami Vice film with spy elements. Doesn't mean I didn't love the movie. Don't get me wrong, please.

After enjoying Moore's tenure as the charming and humourous secret agent, I feel The Living Daylights has brought us back to the age of the sixties. It somehow felt like a Connery Bond film to me, which I loved very much. One of the best Classic Bond films, that I assure you.

Just my opinion, before I could possibly get attacked. ;)
    suavejmf wrote: »

I loved Dalton long before reading any of the books. And I've never been a fan of Brosnan.

I think most people respond to the acting . But I've heard lots of people say that it was only after reading the books that they appreciated Dalton.

Very true and TD is a great actor. I've always liked Dalton. But yes I totally agree, after reading all the books as an adult I appreciated Dalton more.
    I've only read MR. Should probably try and read a couple of the others.

I have to say that on reading MR, I really didn't have Dalton in mind, or perhaps any of the actors.

What I got from MR was a sense of how the early Connery era films really brilliantly captured the flavour of Fleming, if not necessarily the central character. Just my view. Those early films just seem like the perfect blend of seriousness, danger and the fantastical.
    When I started reading the Fleming novels, borrowed from dads bookcase, they all had a drawing of a very slim and cruel looking Sean Connery from Doctor No as an illustration on the back. So I actually identified with his face when reading the books, I never knew about the movie series until I ran into Moonraker which was rather surprising to me but also a glorious moment as I loved the movie, and still do to this day {I also like ESB better than Star Wars because ESB was the first movie I saw in the franchise}.

But still to this day whenever I read a 007 novel I see the SC face as 007 in any version up to Solo.

Dalton has never figured in any of my 007 views and to be honest I found him better as baddie and supporting actor than as a lead actor. His Bondmovies are TLD a movie better suited to the likes of Moore and Brosnan, albeit with a superiour soundtrack to anything ever since. And LTK was just a wee bit tame compared to the Miami Vice series that were popular at the time. But if I had to pick it would be TLD as it is on the whole a better balanced movie with great music and a Dutch baddie.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    And LTK was just a wee bit tame compared to the Miami Vice series that were popular at the time.
    Wha- HAHAHAHAHAHA, what-??? Miami Vice was brutal for TV back then (I was there), but "Give her his heart"?
    I've only read MR. Should probably try and read a couple of the others.

I have to say that on reading MR, I really didn't have Dalton in mind, or perhaps any of the actors.

What I got from MR was a sense of how the early Connery era films really brilliantly captured the flavour of Fleming, if not necessarily the central character. Just my view. Those early films just seem like the perfect blend of seriousness, danger and the fantastical.

I agree with your view, very true. However, you need to read more of the books. MR is actually one of the less thrilling and weaker novels. You'll see......
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I always loved Moonraker, the 50s setting, The fantastic card game with Drax.
    In my opinion, it's a fantastic bit of writing from Fleming, even better than the
    Game in CR. " Spend the money quickly, Mr Bond !" Brilliant line. :) once again
    Only my opinion,but I regard it as one of the best Bond novels. ;)
    I'm more of a DN, FRWL, LALD, OHMSS man with regards to the novels. The UK setting isn't larger than life enough for me and 007 doesn't get the girl!!!!
    As OHMSS is my favourite novel, we do agree on some things. :D
    We certainly are on the opposite sides of the fandom, suavejmf. :D
    I always thought Moonraker was Fleming's best.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    SaintMark wrote: »
    And LTK was just a wee bit tame compared to the Miami Vice series that were popular at the time.
    Wha- HAHAHAHAHAHA, what-??? Miami Vice was brutal for TV back then (I was there), but "Give her his heart"?

I have in recent years seen Miami Vice on dvd and too be honest LTK is tame compared with some of the story lines in Miami Vice that are actually about all the excesses of drugs, abuse and power. With such a subject it is difficult to avoid bleakness.

LTK is in essence a revenge movie with a drugs baron as baddie, we see him as an usurper of a nation through financial manipulation of a banana republic [ not unlike QoB I might add!!! ] The violence is there but so is it in any 007 movie.
    LTK has got more edginess in its violence than any other Bond film, I think.
  • I would say TLDL, maybe in LTK he was too serious, like DC in QOS, but I love TD in both.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

It is edgy no doubt, but I think QoS is more so (pity we can't make out all of it).
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 1,595
    LTK is the most gruesome Bond film, but isn't there a thread for that already?
    bondjames wrote: »

It is edgy no doubt, but I think QoS is more so (pity we can't make out all of it).

I think LTK and QoS both have quite a bit in common. Both misunderstood when they came out and I think both only likely to grow in stature as the years pass.
    I agree, I hated LTK when I first watched it in the cinema, but it soon became a favourite of mine. :)
    Yeah they certainly have a lot in common:

* Second film for each actor in the main role
    * Features revenge in some capacity
    * Bond going rogue in some capacity
    * Edgy and brutal action sequences
    * Darker tone in relation to the majority of the Bond canon
    * Grumpy Bond girls

And more, I'm sure.
    bondjames wrote: »

I think LTK and QoS both have quite a bit in common. Both misunderstood when they came out and I think both only likely to grow in stature as the years pass.

:)>- Love 'em both.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Yes, I'm looking forward to QoS finally getting the recognition it deserves.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    when QoS came everyone loved to hate that film. Now people are respecting that more, everyone is hating Skyfall instead.
    :o3
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    We're wishy washy sometimes 8-} ...
    I like all three Craig films. LTK is embarrassing but I still secretly like it... just don't the blind praise it gets here.

QS deserves more respect than it gets. Bond somehow in SF went from an international hero whom is British to a British hero whom has international appeal ...so I list some ownership/connection there.