Dalton as Bond: TLD vs. LTK

Comments

Amazing! Just proves my point!
    It looks like Return of the Jedi but in reverse.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    chrisisall wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    He still looks like a slob in it.

You mean like Dan does in SF?

Lol yes ..bad hair days for both.. topped only by Connery in DAF :D
    After a fantastic start, this picture is let down by a less than impressive third act, capped by the silly fight with Whitaker. The Gibraltar stuff and the opera sequence were really impressive, to me. LTK, despite it's strong emotional theme of revenge simply does not feel like a Bond film, feels like an expensive Miami Vice episode, especially compared to the other 80's blockbusters at the time.
    Used to think LTK didn't feel like Bond either but over time have come to appreciate it a lot more. It has all the key ingredients but with a nice twist. IMO LTK genuinely feels a lot more like the old school Bond movies than the Brosnan films, which feel like pastiche.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,146
    Getafix wrote: »
    LTK genuinely feels a lot more like the old school Bond movies than the Brosnan films, which feel like pastiche.

Certainly that applies to a small amount of Goldeneye and completely to the other three Broz Bonds.
    Goldeneye doesn't 'feel' like Bond to me - just generic action. I attribute this to Serra's abysmal score and to Brosnan.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,189
    Used to think LTK didn't feel like Bond either but over time have come to appreciate it a lot more. It has all the key ingredients but with a nice twist. IMO LTK genuinely feels a lot more like the old school Bond movies than the Brosnan films, which feel like pastiche.

I like LTK but it disappoints in comparison to the "old school" films. I once did a double bill of OHMSS and LTK. The latter was disappointing. It's too "grim" and parts do feel quite generic.
    Goldeneye doesn't 'feel' like Bond to me - just generic action. I attribute this to Serra's abysmal score and to Brosnan.

The action in GE is fantastic, some of the best of the series. I agree about the score but can tolerate that better than the disco stuff in TSWLM.

Ugh.

The action in GE is fantastic, some of the best of the series. I agree about the score but can tolerate that better than the disco stuff in TSWLM.

Ugh.

I agree. I find the action in GE exciting. Its the others where it feels "generic".

TND has far too many action scenes.
    The steam room fight where he hits the thug with the pail and flips Xenia over his shoulder and pulls the pistol on her. Fantastic!
    The steam room fight where he hits the thug with the pail and flips Xenia over his shoulder and pulls the pistol on her. Fantastic!

I just thought he was just some poor bystander all these years lol.

The scene straight afterwards when he walks round the statue park is very good too.

It's funny, watching DAD then going back to GE feels like two films from completely different universes. I also think I prefer Broz in GE too now despite his uncomfortable demeanour in places. He's too "daddy-o" in DAD I think.

As for Dalton I feel he should have got a third film but I still maintain he's better suited to television.
    [/quote]It's funny, watching DAD then going back to GE feels two films from completely different universes. [/quote]

Right! What a complete regression. I do like the first two acts in both TND and TWINE, even though the action is really pedestrian at times. Those films suffer from having two directors not being good with action and having the stunt people handle that stuff, which is always a debacle when the director is not directing that stuff.
    I always felt TND was the best of the Brosnan era. Not a great film but feels more of its time and better suited to Brosnan.
    Agreed Brosnan is more confident in the role and the film has its moments but I think the acting from the supporting cast is better in GE by and large.
    I always felt TND was the best of the Brosnan era. Not a great film but feels more of its time and better suited to Brosnan.

Despite the lack of energy to the action sequences, the story works okay enough until the Halo dive…something about the story after that just drops off the table. For me.

Despite the lack of energy to the action sequences, the story works okay enough until the Halo dive…something about the story after that just drops off the table. For me.

The climax is abysmal, but it is sadly not unusual for Bond films to lose the plot in the final act.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Personally, I prefer GE although I like both.

I agree that Brosnan is marginally better in TND however and the movie suits his style better. I also feel that it is the supporting cast that really take GE to another level compared to TND.

I think GE was the movie that had to be made for its time. In a way, it was similar to SF in that both came after brave efforts (in LTK & QoS) that were a little too risque for some fans and the public generally. Therefore in both cases, EON had to bring it back if you will, cliches and all.

I also agree that the finale to GE is magnificent. I think it's still the best one of the Craig/Brosnan era (great set design, amazing fight, big scale without bs CGI etc.)
    I thought GE was youthful and invigorating and was disappointed to see TND simply dive into a comparatively mediocre story. You go from shoot her, she means nothing to me', to 'We're going to finish this together!"
    Ugh.
    GE script in many places feels like it was written for the Daltonator.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    GE script in many places feels like it was written for the Daltonator.
    I feel like it was Dalton's lost movie in some ways. Which is why I consider GE the third in the '87 to '95 trilogy. TND, as much as I love it, was a throwback to YOLT (not that that's a bad thing at all, just less Flemingesque IMHO).
    I would vote for LTK even though I love them both and have watched them more than any other bond movies I think it has better villains and bond girls and I love the song.
  • Enjoyed both films, hard to say I like one more than the other. I enjoyed all four Brosnan films, it that said, I think Dalton's two movies were arguably better--just better stories.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 381
    As much as I like Dalton and would have liked to have seen him in a third film, it's for the best that he stepped down. A third film in 1991-1993 would have been a flop, worse than LTK and would have further put off audiences to Bond. GoldenEye with Brosnan was the shot in the arm that the series needed.

the Dalton stories were pretty strong imo
  • I've probably mentioned this but I think Dalton is better as Bond in The Living Daylights although he turns in a worthy performance in the subsequent film as well.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Dalton got the series back on track, but he never gets enough credit for it. His movies had no Death Stars, jw peppers, or morons with steel teeth, and some fans just couldn't believe it. That wasn't their James Bond
    I really thought in the late 80s that Bond was totally heading in the right direction, and then it got totally derailed and I had to wait almost 20 years for the show to get back on the road.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Bond has been around for over 50 years and it's almost miraculous
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I really thought in the late 80s that Bond was totally heading in the right direction, and then it got totally derailed and I had to wait almost 20 years for the show to get back on the road.
    To ME, the series peaked with Dalton.