India Locations Cancelled [Was: 'India Locations Selected']

Comments

Bond should go where he's never been before
    They may get tax breaks with the budget by doing a co production with a big Bollywood company. This could be one reason for looking at shooting there.
    I just hope the script is finalised, and not been changed dramatically to accomodate India as a location.

Assuming a script has actually been completed......
    They should go to Jodhpur, also known as the Blue City (Google it); all the houses near this massive fort on the outskirts of town are painted blue.
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 100
    If it's South Africa and India then then likelihood has to be that 007 will be setting out to bust up a vast cricket match-fixing conspiracy. I predict a torture scene featuring a cricket bat and a white-coated umpire saying "No ball, Mr Bond."

Seriously though, both are long overdue as locations. But why do we have to cram so many locations into each Bond film these days? We don't all have attention deficit disorder and some of us like to feel we're getting a sense of place as well as a sense of pace.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Quoting blakewho: If it's South Africa and India then then likelihood has to be that 007 will be setting out to bust up a vast cricket match-fixing conspiracy. I predict a torture scene featuring a cricket bat and a white-coated umpire saying "No ball, Mr Bond."
    Nah, I think that one may be wide of the stumps, blakey.

Yes, I'll get my cap and head back to the pavillion... ;)
    Quoting blakewho: But why do we have to cram so many locations into each Bond film these days
    Because the plot calls for it to happen.
    It looks like India will be a major location in Bond 23! A few minutes ago someone asked Terry Bamber (Production Manager) on twitter: "it seems unlikely I would go to UK...how about we meet in the middle - Mumbai?". Bamber answered: " brilliant - touch wood we will be there for 3 months January 2012 on the next Bond".

The 3 months probably includes some pre-production work as well, but still it looks like filming will take place there for a long time.

Source:
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Quoting blakewho: But why do we have to cram so many locations into each Bond film these days
    Because the plot calls for it to happen.
    In that case it's a bad Bond plot.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2011 Posts: 13,350
    More interviews from Craig:

What is the scene with the next James Bond movie?

The next Bond will start in October or November. I've kind of already started preparing for Bond. The script is in really, really good shape and I'm sure there will still be changes because that's just the way it is. But if we shot the script we have at the moment, we'd be in a good way. I'm very excited about it and I'm delighted that Sam (Mendes) is going to direct it.

The last time James Bond came to India was in 1983 for 'Octopussy'. Is he coming back to India again with the next Bond film?

Too early to talk about it...

Have you been to India? What do you think of the country?

I think India is a beautiful country. Have heard a lot about it...the culture, bollywood... I would definitely like to visit India whenever I get a chance.

Have you seen any Indian films? What do you think about them?

I haven't seen any Indian film but since I am a huge fan of action genre, so would love to watch some action movie.

Any Indian actor that you can recollect at the back of your mind?

Anil Kapoor, Amitabh Bachchan...

How important is the Indian market for any Hollywood film today?

I think it is quite important. There is a huge audience out there, who like watching Hollywood movies.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hollywood/news-interviews/Id-love-to-watch-an-Indian-action-movie-Daniel-Craig/articleshow/9395149.cms

So could it be India, well:

When are you coming to India to shoot for Bond 23? Are you excited to get back into 007 mode?

We are working on the schedule for India and yes, it’s always exciting to play James Bond and this time is no different.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1110728/jsp/entertainment/story_14296830.jsp

I'd say yes!
    It looks like India will be a major location in Bond 23! A few minutes ago someone asked Terry Bamber (Production Manager) on twitter: "it seems unlikely I would go to UK...how about we meet in the middle - Mumbai?". Bamber answered: " brilliant - touch wood we will be there for 3 months January 2012 on the next Bond".

The 3 months probably includes some pre-production work as well, but still it looks like filming will take place there for a long time.

Source:
    I'd take that to mean from January - March, about half of the six month shoot, with a few weeks at Pinewood afterwards to finish off. It could well be India and Africa are the only places we're going for this one. Maybe that's where the cheaper budget is coming from - less locations. A start in the right direction, now the action...
  • Hm..interesting he actually confirm India as a location, but I thought they would try to keep it quiet
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    Australia: a big final fight on top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge or the Sydney Opera!

I've been on top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, it's amazing!!
    Hm..interesting he actually confirm India as a location, but I thought they would try to keep it quiet
    The cat was already out of the bag with Bamber anyway, so there wasn't much point in saying otherwise at this point.

I'm glad we're going back to India as what looks like the main location. There's so much opportunity to be had.
  • yeah for all the slum labour, paying off the Indian mafia, keeping the corrupt in power and living the high life in Dubai.

They should never go there or China for that fact they value human life so cheaply. Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh it makes be mad....Hulk smash!!!!!!
    Good stuff :D
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Octopussy 2.0
    Cool!

At least we're getting some different locales from the previous Craig films, which were based in europe for the most part. Okay I realise he went elsewhere, but they had a very european feel to them. For me.
    India is such a colourful and beautiful country, I hope they use the locale to showcase this.
    Not necessarily - FYEO and TLD have a multitude of locations, and they're both excellent films.
    Not necessarily - FYEO and TLD have a multitude of locations, and they're both excellent films.
    Hpefully they'll make better use of the location than the last time they went there. While OP has some nice locations shots and the gorgeous palace, I find it to be a bit underwhelming in regards to the cinematography.
  • Always felt that India was going to be featured many moons ago..
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Like I saw in another thread, I honestly wouldn't mind if South Africa and India were the only places (aside from MI-6 HQ, of course) that Bond 23 featured.
    More from Craig, on Bond 23, marriage, Cowboys & Aliens, Bond again and taking over from Brosnan, respectively:

“There is definitely a plan to do that (shoot Bond 23 in India). It’s premature to talk about it as of now. I don’t want to make any public announcement, but there is definitely a plan”.

“Life is great; it feels good to have a partner like Rachel. But it’s just that as long as I can keep my private life private, I’m all good with it”

“My expectations from the Indian audiences are high. I think the audiences there are fond of the action genre”

“The next Bond will start in October or November. I’m really excited about the script, it’s fantastic”

“I was glad to know that Bond fans accepted me after Pierce Brosnan, who was incredible as James Bond”

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Bond-will-be-shot-in-India/Article1-727452.aspx
    edited August 2011 Posts: 13,350
    There's trouble in India - I hope this can be sorted out!

Bond going off track in India?

There's a cloud over director Sam Mendes shooting " Bond 23" with Daniel Craig in India next year as the railways have not yet given permission to block the tracks in Ahmedabad and Goa for the filming.

There's talk of shifting the shoot to South Africa and when TOI brought this to the notice of railway minister Dinesh Trivedi, he promised to look into the matter.

Pravesh Sahni of India Take One Productions, which is looking after the Indian leg of the shooting, said, "This could be one of the biggest Hollywood movies shot in our country. Trains are the backbone of the film. We'll pay for the shooting and also mention Indian Railways in the credit line. The shooting was supposed to happen in October-November. Now, we've postponed it to January-February. For the past three months, we've been trying to get things in order. The film has Daniel Craig doing stunts on a freight train. While the Indian Railways has given us permission to shoot, I need to meet someone and explain how important it is for us to block two tracks for eight hours a day over five to six days. For the past 15 days, I've been trying to get someone to hear me out. South African authorities are waiting to provide everything that is required to support this movie. If we can't get this cooperation from India, the film will no longer be shot here."

But, isn't blocking tracks a difficult proposition for five to six days? "One can always divert trains if one is convinced about the importance of shooting this international movie in India. We shot "Mission: Impossible 2" in Mumbai and the roads had to be blocked because we couldn't have shot stunts with a car speeding down the road at 180 km/hr amidst regular traffic," Sahni said.

When CT got in touch with Trivedi, he said, "I've no idea about this as nobody has approached me. Unless I know the details, I can't comment. But I would certainly like to help. I can't jeopardize the safety of passengers. If it's a win-win situation for both the production unit and the railways, I am willing to help."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hollywood/news-interviews/Bond-going-off-track-in-India/articleshow/9693257.cms

I need to see Bond doing stunt work on a freight train in India!

I wonder are trains the "backbone" of the entire film or just the planned India section?
    "Trains are the backbone of the film."
    That sounds great!

edited August 2011 Posts: 13,350
    That sounds great!

Not if those in change of these trains choose not to comply with EON. This news may make things work out for the planned October - November filming. If so, this train idea could be a great plus for Bond 23.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 4,619
    From what I understand no matter what happens with the train situation, they will start shooting in October-November but not with the train sequences. (The reason for that is that we heard Craig saying this month that the filming will start in October-November but before Craig's statement we already knew the filming in India will happen in January - thanks to Terry Bamber's twitter account. So the filming in India was postponed but the start date of the filming of Bond 23 was not.)
    I thought that meant no India at all hence the line "If we can't get this cooperation from India, the film will no longer be shot here".

Still, either way I hope the shoot can begin there in October as originally wanted.
    Sorry, I wasn't completely understandable. What I meant is that I believe filming will start in October-November no matter whether the problem in India will be resolved or not. They will shoot scenes not related to the train stunts until the end of the year . After that, from January they will shoot the train scenes either in India or in South Africa.
    Ahmedabad and Goa? No wonder they're having trouble getting permission - they're a thousand kilometres apart!
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    That sounds great!
    So long as that maxim doesn't extend to the shooting in Britain, that is... ;)