India Locations Cancelled [Was: 'India Locations Selected']

14567810»

Comments

Back on topic is all of India canceled or just the train stuff because there were locations in India that had nothing to do with trains the car chase in Ahmnebad (i think is how you spell it) and the foot chase in New Dehli?

just wondering because every article i read keeps talking about the train stuff not the other locations
    All of India appears to be cancelled. The only reason why the articles keep mentioning the train sequences is because the train sequences are the only ones that were confirmed to be shooting there.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2011 Posts: 13,350
    He's not talking about you. When Samuel001 said "someone can't read and blew the whole thing out of proportion as per usual", he was talking about the IMdB user who posted it in the first place. Not you.
    Thanks @shadowonthesun, indeed I was refering to the IMDB user and just the press in general. Apologies go to @JWESTBROOK if I didn't make myself clear enough.

As far as the Inidia shoot goes, I do wonder if the location in the script will be changed to South Africa and what problems this may cause?

Unless Bond visits both locations in Bond 23 in which case we're OK. We know so little at the moment it's quite annoying.
    You know, the more I think about it, the less surprised I am that production decided not to go to India.

In just over a month, India will host the first running of the Indian Grand Prix - but even though we're just thirty-two days away from the event, it might not happen. For one, a lot of people involved in the sport keep having their visa applications rejected. Drivers, mechanics, team personnel and officials have all had to re-submit their applications, and since it takes seven weeks for entry visas to be processed, they won't actually be able to go to India if they get rejected again.

Secondly, and far more worryingly, is the way the Indian government keeps trying to tax the terms. New Delhi does not recognise Formula 1 as a sport (despite the fact that they just spent hundreds of millions of dollars on a circuit), and so they have not issued a tax exemption to the teams. They believe that they have a claim to a share of the teams' annual incomes, who have a combined income of over a billion dollars each year. This is despite the fact that only one team competed under a licence issued by the Indian motorsport federations, and none of them are actually based in India. They will be in India for all of a week, but the government wants a cut of their income. Worse, this is something that was supposed to be worked out a year ago, so there is talk that they are doing it deliberately to get something for nothing.

Add to that the way THE DARK KNIGHT RISES and MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - GHOST PROTOCOL have had their own trouble with filming in India, and it's little surprise that BOND 23 has been having difficulties. Everything the Indian government seems to be doing to these enterprises appears to be revolving around the idea of "being good for India" to the point where it is "show India the way we want you to show India, not the way India actually is".
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    What happened with TDKR and MI4 in India @shadow? I'm curious.
    I'm not sure about GHOST PROTOCOL, but I know they had troubles.

As for THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, Christopher Nolan had to wait seven months to get permission for filming a particular shot. He wanted to put a camera in a helicopter and fly over the town of Jodhpur, near the Mehrangarh Fort. Normally, a shot like that would probably take about a week to get permission for; THE DARK KNIGHT opened in a similar manner, and the city of Chicago had no problems with it. But the Indians made Nolan wait seven months.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2011 Posts: 28,694
    I'm not sure about GHOST PROTOCOL, but I know they had troubles.

As for THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, Christopher Nolan had to wait seven months to get permission for filming a particular shot. He wanted to put a camera in a helicopter and fly over the town of Jodhpur, near the Mehrangarh Fort. Normally, a shot like that would probably take about a week to get permission for; THE DARK KNIGHT opened in a similar manner, and the city of Chicago had no problems with it. But the Indians made Nolan wait seven months.
    Hmmm. Thanks @shadow, and if there is any news on what went down during the filming of MI4, please could you let me know what occured?
    It was probably just paperwork and waiting for permissions.
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 5,745
    Apologies go to @JWESTBROOK if I didn't make myself clear enough.
    :X
    edited October 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Is Bond going to Cape Town regardless? He could well be...

Cape Town's film commission is shaken and stirred with excitement about the increasingly likely possibility of the new James Bond movie being filmed in the city.

The Commission's CEO Denis Lillie said rumours about the spy franchise being shot in the city had been around for some time.

"We have been publicly lobbying the Bond production company," Lillie said.

"There has been no official announcement yet, but there has also been no denial."

Bond 23 was due to be shot in India, but railway authorities in the country have not given permission for the film's producers to block tracks in Ahmedabad and Goa for an action sequence.

Take One Productions in India suggested, should the difficulties not be resolved, filming would take place in Cape Town.

"The rumour has been out there a couple of months, so I am assuming that things will be happening soon," Lillie said.

The benefits for the city would be enormous.

Along with bringing millions into the local economy and benefiting the catering and hotel industries, it would be an excellent marketing opportunity the city.

"Audiences tend to visit the locations where Bond movies are set," Lillie said.

"Some people would want to find the pub where Bond had a drink for example."

Bond movies are widely watched by massive international audiences, who would then see Cape Town every time they watched the movie on DVD.

The city also had plenty of sites for Bond's famous stunts. The cable station on Table Mountain with its spectacular scenery was one example.

There were also plenty of sharks in the oceans around the city. A number of Bond movies have featured the spy having run ins with sharks.

Lillie said although most of the top roles in Bond 23, which is set to start filming this year, had been filled, there would possibly be some opportunities for local talent.

The film commission had met with Western Cape Finance MEC Alan Winde last week to discuss bringing the film to the city.

"We wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any problems if the producers wanted to bring the Bond film to Cape Town," he said.

"The Western Cape government has said bring it. We want it filmed here."

http://www.timeslive.co.za/entertainment/movies/2011/10/03/ct-shaken-and-stirred-over-bond-film
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    So we'll never see footage of Bond atop a train going through Dudhsagar Falls? I'm disappointed.
    No, but we'll see footage of him on a train elsewhere.
    And Africa could well double for India. All may not be lost.
    The benefit of that is that EON can depict "India" however they want, without having their hands tied by a government that insists on having the country portrayed "accurately". So, if EON want to put people riding on top of trains in the film, they can.

Besides, even if India does not feature at all, I doubt EON would commission major rewrites that remove the planned train stunt.