India Locations Cancelled [Was: 'India Locations Selected']

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I like Mendes as director, and like quite a few of his films. But I have a bad feeling about B23... Can't help it.
    OK, I think we caught how you feel by the 17th post on the matter.
    I was just answering Panchito about Mendes....
    Phew...okay, I've read all of this thread and wow...intense ;-)

@DaltonCraig007, I somewhat agree that countries should not be wasted in a matter of minutes; QOS did feel like it was flying through countries at high speeds at times. That is NOT to say that Quantum of Solace suffered from this. What it suffered from was a failure to slow the story down; the high speed story telling lead the audience from country to country a little too quickly. In other words, the country overload was a secondary problem to the main problem: not enough time for the story.

But here is the other thing: passing judgment on a Bond film because there will be too many countries just sounds a little crazy to me. We don't even know how many locations there will be in total yet! Everything is mostly speculation at the moment, we don't know the story, the film's length, etc. Let things be more finalized before we all jump to a conclusion, good or bad!

P.S.
    @DaltonCraig007, I am not trying to dictate to you, I am not trying to change your opinion at all. I know your favorite Bond film is...gulp...The Man with the Golden Gun ;-)...I know you love Roger Moore and despise the Craig films, and whilst I certainly 100% disagree, there is no problem with having that opinion; I actually respect the fact that you constantly stand up for your favorites which seem to be mostly unpopular. And guess what? We're all Bond enthusiasts here, no matter what actor or film we prefer. Can't we just all agree on liking Bond films in general?

Can't we all just.....get along? :-D

Cheers.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Great post @SJK91 and I agree : we're all Bond enthusiasts even if we don't share the same views :)
  • tqbtqb
    Not sure if this is really legit but this article states Craig will be running on the roof of the trains.
    http://www.telegraphindia.com/1110827/jsp/nation/story_14431221.jsp
    A train action sequence is all good - not seen since OP. Should be exciting.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 13,350
    No need to worry. With Sam Mendes directing I'm sure Bond 23 will be great.
    Not to mention a great crew and by the looks of it cast. I feel the opposite of DC, with Craig playing a proper Bond, this film is shaping up to be one of the better ones in the series. It should at least be a very memorable entry.

There's nothing yet that gives off "bad feelings" to me.
    Not sure if this is really legit but this article states Craig will be running on the roof of the trains.
    http://www.telegraphindia.com/1110827/jsp/nation/story_14431221.jsp
    This is where some of the most recent text in MI6's artcile comes from, so yes I'd say it's true and we'll have Bond performing stunts on, in and maybe even around the trains. This is the chance to top Octopussy in that department.
    I love the locations that have been booked or scouted so far. I love movies based in more traditional Bond locations like places in Europe, but we haven't seen locations like this in a long while for this franchise. I'm pretty excited to see some more news, and hopefully soon. I just hope they keep the film at at least 2 hours so they can keep the pace more in line with pretty much every film before QoS.
    I like Mendes as director, and like quite a few of his films. But I have a bad feeling about B23... Can't help it.
    Best advice i can give DONT expect anything....go in with an a clear and open mind...just let go and enjoy the ride.

I love the idea of the locations: AF, IN, Scot and China? That is a perfect amount of exotic locations, yes to some people Scotland is exotic. West India and trains how could you not like that possibility?

I like the darker films myself...QOS has been moving up my ranks and fast the more i watch it. CR is tied for number 1 now with thunderball. Goldfinger is pretty low YOLT was my first real bond, the first bond film i saw was NSNA as a kid with my mom, didnt find out it wasnt real for years.

I hope we see DC driving something other than an AM in India! a big truck, tractor, an ancient car...come on Bond blend in a little, please!!!!

But the trains do hint at British Imperialism...there are some great ironic lines that could be made about coming back to lost lands....S/A, China and India.

oh one more thing I swore up and down that DC wasnt bond and i refused to see CR/QOS on big screen...been kicking my back side over that ever since.
    I love the locations that have been booked or scouted so far. I love movies based in more traditional Bond locations like places in Europe, but we haven't seen locations like this in a long while for this franchise. I'm pretty excited to see some more news, and hopefully soon. I just hope they keep the film at at least 2 hours so they can keep the pace more in line with pretty much every film before QoS.
    QOS was so short cus of the writers strike, sure we would of had a longer film if there was no strike.
    QOS was so short cus of the writers strike, sure we would of had a longer film if there was no strike.
    No, QUANTUM OF SOLACE was short because the production crew felt that it told the story better in 1hr45min than it could have in 2hrs+
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    edited August 2011 Posts: 1,380
    Update from today's meeting:

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1110830/jsp/nation/story_14442829.jsp

Despite co-operation from the railway ministry, the Sam Mendes-directed Bond 23 — the working title for the next James Bond film — may have to be rerouted from Sabarmati to a not-so-busy train line.

Team Bond needs to shoot seven to eight hours a day for seven days on a railway track. Something that wasn’t possible without hampering the Western Railway timetable in Ahmedabad when they got the permission back in July. Now, Agent 007 will have to do his chase and stunts on a lighter route elsewhere in India.

At a meeting between railway minister Dinesh Trivedi and shooting crew representatives today, Team Bond was asked to submit a shooting plan in the next couple of days. “Once we get the details, we will recommend an alternative route,” said a ministry official. “They want to shoot in Gujarat, Mumbai and Goa with the train sequence near Sabarmati. But it’s a busy route and trains can’t be stopped there for the shoot.”

The Indian line-producer for the MGM-produced film sounded confident about a solution. “The meeting with the railway ministry was very fruitful,” Parvesh Sahani of India Take One said. “Yes, the technical issues need to be sorted out but we are expecting some kind of a solution by the end of this week.”
    Never before have fans had such intimate knowledge of critical pre-production drama!
    Why can't they just stop the damn trains? It's only one week. Do India want Bond or not? If not, sod it and go to South Africa. Did EON really want Sabarmati and is it that needed to begin with, maybe not if it can just be moved elsewhere.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The production team can't just stop the transport for people there like that. Mass amounts depend on the trains to get where they are needed. I can see why there is drama over the whole thing.
    Why can't they just stop the damn trains? It's only one week.
    Because trains are a major form of transportation in India. And you're talking about shutting down lines that service Mumbai, one of the biggest and busiest cities in the world. You might as well ask the operators of Heathrow airport to shut down for a week for filming.
    My concern is it'll show on film that EON will have settled for second best. There's only so much Deakins can do to make it look good.

A little more on the India situation here:

As for the status of shooting "Bond 23" in India, things have just about started moving after the article was published in RT. Says Parvesh Sahni, who is looking after the Indian leg of shooting of the Daniel Craig movie, "After the article on the status of "Bond 23" was published in RT, we have got a positive feedback from the ministry. However, we haven't yet got the final clearance regarding whether the tracks can be blocked to allow Craig to shoot in India. The problem with India is that there is no single window to facilitate shooting of international movies."

However, the damage can still be salvaged if India introduced a concept of a film commission. That is, provided the government wants to pay that much of attention to the importance of international movies being shot in India.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hollywood/news-interviews/Unbonding-with-India/articleshow/9794853.cms
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 9,775
    hmmm I hope it just looks amazing.

i"m editing my post as I don't feel the need to reply to my own post here is the latest

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Latest-James-Bond-film-to-be-shot-in-India/articleshow/9802594.cms

"After shooting in exotic locales across the globe, the world's most famous spy has taken a fancy to desi destinations like the humble Sarojini Nagar market in Delhi and relatively unknown Navagam town near Ahmedabad. Other possible locations that the latest James Bond flick could be shot in include the sun-kissed beaches of Goa and business hub Mumbai.

The I&B ministry has given permission to India Take One Productions to shoot the latest Bond film. 'Bond 23' is likely to be shot at the cheek-by-jowl streets of Daryaganj, Sarojini Nagar market and Ansari Road in Delhi. The film, to be directed by Sam Mendes, will be released in 2012. This also marks the 50th anniversary of the successful 'Dr No' and the Bond franchise.

The producers have been given permission to shoot in North Goa with the exception of the tunnel at Dudhsagar (south-eastern railway) and Zuari rail bridge over Zuari river (Konkan railways) due to security concerns. Sources said talks with the railway ministry were on regarding these particular locales.
    "

It looks like the producers got most of what they wanted.

I'd hate to start a new thread about this what locations have been confirmed as far as i know the locations and their staatus (rumors confirmed etc) go like this

New York City Rumored in 2008 but unlikely
    South Africa Rumored and like but unconfirmed
    China Rumored but Unlikely
    India Confirmed
    London U.K Confirmed
    Scotland U.K. Rumored

Anything else?

India and London are the only 2 confirmed right?
    My concern is it'll show on film that EON will have settled for second best. There's only so much Deakins can do to make it look good.
    If BOND 23 can't shoot at its preferred location, then the second choice probably won't look as good. But I doubt it will look terrible, either.

And like the article says, THE DARK KNIGHT RISES had to wait months for shooting permission - but they got it in the end. I see no reason why BOND 23 cannot get the same.
    Good to see some more news confirmed for the India shooting on the steets. That should have never been a problem but confirmation is always good.
    Samuel you didn't answer my questions what location are confirmed and what aren't?
    India is confirmed. South Africa is confirmed in all but name; the South Africans have said they'll be happy to shoot the train sequences if the India deal does not pan out, but EON have not said a word. As for China, New York, Scotland and one or two locations around London, they have only been rumoured - though in the case of the office building that was reported a few weeks ago, location scouts have checked it out.

Of course, South Africa's comments that they would be willing to take up the India scenes does beg the question of whether scenes shot in each country will actually be set in that country. In QUANTUM OF SOLACE, the scenes in La Paz were actually shot in Panama. South Africa could reasonably stand in for Zimbabwe, Namibia, Tanzania or just about any nation in sub-Saharan Africa. Likewise, India could double for Bangladesh or Pakistan.
    MIDDLE EAST!

Haha sort of an inside joke, but I busted out laughing @shadowthesun 's post.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 1,894
    Juding by some of the details in this report - http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond_23_report_aug11d.php3?s=bond23&id=02939 - this is the section of railway procustion is trying to film on:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5047223

However, they're not allowed to film on his bridge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Konkan_railway_bridge.jpg
  • tqbtqb
    good news!
    more pics please =]
    With the news we have so far it must be a near enough sure thing for the train go-ahead by the end of this week, correct? Why grant all this permission unless the final piece is about to be given the OK?

Now, what on Earth could EON want to film on that bridge?! What a lovely sight. I hope second best is more than alright compared to that.
    Samuel you didn't answer my questions what location are confirmed and what aren't?
    I didn't intend to. Your post completely passed me by, sorry about that.
    Now, what on Earth could EON want to film on that bridge?! What a lovely sight. I hope second best is more than alright compared to that.
    The article doesn't say that they specifically wanted to film there - only that they wanted to shut down the railway. The Indians agreed to let them provided they do not shoot on the bridge or in the tunnel. It may never have been EON's intentions to shoot in either location to begin with.
    With the news we have so far it must be a near enough sure thing for the train go-ahead by the end of this week, correct? Why grant all this permission unless the final piece is about to be given the OK?

I didn't intend to. Your post completely passed me by, sorry about that.
    it's ok

As far as the bridge well I can think of a few reasons. perhaps a climatic battle on the train?

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/bond-23-takes-passage-to-india

Another article suggesting bond is also filming in Delhi the capital.

Dalton you might get your wish of less locations and exploring the flavor of each location...
    So the pictures of the rail with the waterfalls and tunnels are a no go?
    That's correct. Mostly the tunnel and the bridge for now. Apparently the Indians have "security concerns" about the shoot there, but EON is trying to negotiate additional filming permissions so that they can use the tunnel and the brdige in the shoot.
    I suppose if they're not allowed only "in" the tunnel, that could be ok and done elsewhere. But I think the pics of the rail bridges with the waterfall behind would make absolutely stunning shots. I could care less about the main bridge of concern (the Konkan one). It's not like it's blow-your-mind cool or anything.

Just get that darned scenery in there.