Roger Moore or Timothy Dalton ?

Comments

chrisisall wrote:
    Regan wrote:

Timothy Dalton was 29 when LALD came out wasn't he?
    But unlike Connery at the same age, he REALLY looked young then.

True... which is why I think he would have worked better if they had done the CR reboot with him back then. I can see him rashly falling in love with Vesper and being generally reckless. This is a younger Bond.

For just the regular Bond mission LALD was, though, I think he might have looked a bit too baby faced.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Dalton by a landslide!!
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    Both. Greats, so different, but necessary in the serie.

Sir Roger, for the class, the wit, the running-gag, the charm & lover side and the British Gentleman style. But his perf were very irregular, which is quite understandable with all his years in a row. He shouldn't have acted in AVTAK... not much credible in action scenes.

Tim, for his darkness in interpretation, his "enough" class, his serious, his romance, his "pro" side, the deep character's involvment close to original. I just think he should have played MORE than twice... ("C-R" would have been amazing in begin 90's if the production had the rights at that time ; definitely FYEO was tailored made. "AVTAK" could have been a huge but workable challenge as an actor ; in this he would have done well)
    And I think "GoldenEye" was best and will stay with Pierce Brosnan 007.
  • Easily Sir Timothy Dalton.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I prefer Timothy Dalton, though Moore most certainly has his films and moments.
    Dalton did say that not getting to make CR was his only regret, but that has nothing to do with Craigs films.

TLD & LTK blow CR, QOS & SF out of the water in my view. SF is Craigs best Bond, but even then it's an average Bond film.

Well said! A voice of sanity amongst the Craigite chattering. I disagree with you about SF - it's DC's worst - but he isn't remotely as good as the Daltinator. Bring back Tim!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Add another vote for Timothy Dalton.
  • Getafix wrote:
    Bring back Tim!

I know he's old and Craig is probably good for the series but if by some miracle they did bring back Dalts, I wouldn't be complaining.
    I like Roger Moore's first 3 Bond films but feel he stuck around way too long and tarnished his earlier good work for the sake of a huge salary. Dalton was the complete opposite and didn't make enough. As much as I think TSWLM is goofy and echoes YOLT a bit too closely, it's still a lot more enjoyable than TLD and LTK. I suppose it depends on what mood I'm in and whether I want to watch an edgy Bond or the smoother Bond version.
  • What do you think ?

Timothy Dalton, by such a distance you can only imagine. Moore did well here and there, but his childish humor at times, really did him no favors by the end, as well as being evidently too old for the part by his departure, and Dalton simply omitted any of the nonsense antics and kept things straight faced and serious. I'm afraid this debate isn't much of a contest
    When expressing a preference for one over another, I think more accurately it's choosing between 2 different styles of Bond. While I prefer Roger, that doesn't mean Tim Dalton was a bad Bond. Dalton did a good job as Bond. So did Roger. I prefer a charming Bond, with an unforced sense of humor and a spine of titanium. That was Roger.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Timothy Dalton. He is the epitome of Flemings Bond, and the way he acts is just unbelivable! Even though Moore did some very entertaining films and contributed a lot to the franchise, i've got to say Dalton either way.
  • Roger Moore by a surprising distance. To follow one icon by becoming an icon yourself while carrying the Bond torch longer than anybody, is no mean achievement.

I too prefer the charming, sophisticated side of Bond's character. Dalton did a fine job (although I feel he was let down by LTK - a film with many problems) but I just far prefer Moore.
  • I prefer RM by a tiny margin. I just loved the tone of Roger's movies. don't get me wrong, I loved the darker tone of Dalton, but I just find that if someone mentions Bond, my mind goes to Roger because of how much fun his movies are.

However I go give plenty of kudos to Dalton for staying true to Fleming and returning Bond to his roots.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Roger Moore.

Timothy was a great Bond don't get me wrong. But I grew up with Brosnan's and Moore's films growing up. Plus I didn't really like Dalton up until recently so Moore is it. :)
    Tim, of course.

The man IS James Bond. The others may suit people more but if there was ever a Bond who WAS Fleming's creation, it's Dalton.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, I love both, but Moore does win it for me. Not by much, but yes.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Getafix wrote:
    Both of them - because they're both great in their own unique way.

This. Along with Connery, they constitute my top 3 Bonds. Although I think it's too bad in retrospect that Moore didn't exit the role 1 or 2 films earlier and we didn't get 2 or 3 more films with Dalton. That would've been great.
    Timothy Dalton, and it goes without saying. It can never change

I like my Bond serious and straight faced and Timothy did a great job of it. Moore did very well at times, but the over emphasis on humor simply weighed him down, and it's the biggest black mark against him. Roger was involved in some of my favorite releases such as Moonraker and Live and Let Die and at times, could play it seriously, but Dalton will always be the best James Bond

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I love 'em both, but Tim got the character so right from the novels, so... Tim.
    Roger Moore
    roger moore is the best more smooth and awesome and has awesome eyebrows
    Moore, I grew up with him as Bond and didn't really appreciate Dalton as a kid. As a teenager I learned to appreciate Dalton a lot more but overall Moore was more charismatic and iconic.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Despite growing up with Rog Dalton all the way, Dalton is my no. 3 while Moore is 5 just above Brozzer at the bottom in 6th place.
  • Roger Moore by a surprising distance. To follow one icon by becoming an icon yourself while carrying the Bond torch longer than anybody, is no mean achievement.

If I look at this debate objectively and from a general public view, this is an excellent point in favor of Sir Roger. Dalton cannot say the same, he established a cult following for himself that for me has happily grown over the years but he did not make the world forget about Moore or his films.

Personally, I still much prefer Dalton's take on Bond so naturally he gets my vote. I was on his bandwagon halfway through my first viewing of TLD opening weekend 1987 and have never left. I always said "damn the public" even then, they didn't recognize how visionary and different he was but they would have had they known the books as well as they knew Bondolas and winking pigeons :-&
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Even in the age of Craig and his more serious take on Bond though, id still argue that Rog continues to be seen as a more popular 007 than Dalton. In fairness that may have something to do with the fact that a lot of people grew up with him...or that Rog himself was a lot of fun and like that cool uncle you have that you wanted to be.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited August 2013 Posts: 17,797
    I like them both very much, though I favour Dalton over Moore as a Fleming purist. They are number 1 and 2 Bond on my personal Bond preference list.
    I like Moore overall but Dalton is the superior actor and better Bond. I treasure all their films and Dalton not getting another is my biggest cinematic disappointment ever.
    Both were great in different ways, but i prefer Dalton's darker serious style. I also wish he had done at least one more film..
    The_Reaper wrote:
    I like Moore overall but Dalton is the superior actor and better Bond. I treasure all their films and Dalton not getting another is my biggest cinematic disappointment ever.

I think I agree with this. Lazenby not getting any more probably isn't as much of a disappointment for me. Dalton was the best Bond and could've done the films for ten more years, IMO.