Roger Moore or Timothy Dalton ?

123457»

Comments

Dalton is so hard he uses cello cases to escape... Errr. Oh.
    Getafix wrote: »

Craig is the first Bond since Connery to strangle someone with his bare hands.

• Getafix wrote: »

With respect, let's not start contrasting comedy bits in Bond films. I agree with you about the cello bit, there was to much of that in TLD, but man the Moore films are soaked with bad comedy.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 489
    BAIN123 wrote: »

A bad@$$ moment fora bad@$$ Bond.

No silly cello gags in that film.
    That stuff was saved for SP, which was disappointing in its' silly moments.

Yeah I agree there. I still remember groaning a bit at the New York, New York moment in the car chase
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

With respect, let's not start contrasting comedy bits in Bond films. I agree with you about the cello bit, there was to much of that in TLD, but man the Moore films are soaked with bad comedy.

Comedy? I see that as Bond's ingenuity. Doing what he can with what he's got. A little more of that wouldn't go amiss in the series.
  • Getafix wrote: »

Comedy? I see that as Bond's ingenuity. Doing what he can with what he's got. A little more of that wouldn't go amiss in the series.

'member when Jaws flaps his arms when he's falling in MR?

That's just the tip of the iceberg. I mean, not trying to offend Moore fans, but the comedy is there.

The playing the Bond theme snake charmer in OP

Again, the tip of the iceberg.

I'll take a few bad jokes in the more solid Dalton films, no disrespect intended.
  • BAIN123 wrote: »

Yeah I agree there. I still remember groaning a bit at the New York, New York moment in the car chase

That was diabolical.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    That's why he sets fire to people to kill them - he's a nancy boy

Pah. Craig topped that by hooking a detonator to a goon's belt and making him blow himself up.

That's not worse/harder? Burning alive as apposed to being instantly dying.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

That's just the tip of the iceberg. I mean, not trying to offend Moore fans, but the comedy is there.

I'll take a few bad jokes in the more solid Dalton films, no disrespect intended.

+1
  • Dalton wins this one.

He was imperious where old Rog was suave.

As one who leans toward the more thuggish incarnations Dalts gets my vote.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    Both of them - because they're both great in their own unique way.
    Seconded.

• edited February 2017 Posts: 11,425
    I actually like the cello scene btw.

The cello crops up repeatedly thought the film. It's done well and used nicely. Love when they have to go back to get it.

It's the kind of motif and light touch we rarely see these days.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

I think we're talking cross purposes. I was talking about the Cello case, and how some see that as comedy, I see that as showing Bond's ingenuity. Looking at the situation, Bond's options were limited.
    I agree with you on the MR pre-titles. That's an impressive sequence (wasn't it something like 75 or 77 jumps for what amounted to something like 2 minutes of screentime) ruined by a misguided attempt at humor. That's a complaint that I could level at the other Moore films, such as the goofy slide whistle during barrel roll in TMWTGG.
    Roger Moore hands down
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 11,189
    suavejmf wrote: »

Pah. Craig topped that by hooking a detonator to a goon's belt and making him blow himself up.

Maybe, but I do love the way Craig deliberately turned the tables on the grinning Carlos.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Birdleson wrote: »

Maybe, but I do love the way Craig deliberately turned the tables on the grinning Carlos.

A great moment.
    One of several fine touches the producers, director and writing team inserted which ingratiated Craig with me as Bond. The same goes for the parking lot incident, card game with Dimitrious & the Aston seduction.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 11,189
    bondjames wrote: »

A great moment.
    One of several fine touches the producers, director and writing team inserted which ingratiated Craig with me as Bond. The same goes for the parking lot incident, card game with Dimitrious & the Aston seduction.

All of that is great and displays Craig's cockiness and indulgence beautifully
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »

A great moment.

'Guten Abend'. Class.