SPECTRE: TOP 5 elements "SPECTRE" must have to tackle all criticism that surrounded "SKYFALL"

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Mrcoggins wrote:
    Thankyou Wizard. That's the best laugh I've had all day!.

Nice of you to say so Sir but I know I'll forever be in the shadow of Baljes greatness.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 3,494
    Mrcoggins wrote:
    Thankyou Wizard. That's the best laugh I've had all day!.

I agree, very funny indeed! Nothing against Balje, as we've all known for years that he struggles with getting his points across in English, but believe it or not for me I think I understand him better after smoking some cannabis than when I am straight :))

I must visit Holland some day, absolutely. I know a few people who can get me into those private clubs :)
    So, here is that list of 'Most frequent mentionings of aspects/elements that could be improved for Bond 24' as of June 11th 2013:

24 mentionings --> 'Gunbarrel back at the start'
    14 mentionings --> 'Return of more psychotic Ernst Stavro Blofeld (Christoph Waltz?)'
    14 mentionings --> 'Simple, plain mission briefing in M's office'
    14 mentionings --> 'Better memorable music score/No Thomas Newman'
    12 mentionings --> 'James Bond in the snow/Ski scenes'

11 mentionings --> 'Bond bedding a real Bond-girl in the end'
    10 mentionings --> 'Larger role for Felix Leiter'
    07 mentionings --> 'Memorable henchman/henchwoman (Tilda Swinton?)'
    06 mentionings --> 'Escapist locations, smarter use of it'
    05 mentionings --> 'Better fist fights'
    ============================================================
    05 mentionings --> 'Return of crime syndicate QUANTUM'
    05 mentionings --> 'More clever, less brutal action'
    04 mentionings --> 'Return of crime syndicate S.P.E.C.T.R.E.'
    04 mentionings --> 'Bring in Formula One racing, new kind of carchase'
    04 mentionings --> 'Lush, escapist production design'
    04 mentionings --> 'Return of Barry's 007 theme'
    03 mentionings --> 'Bring back SKYFALL-crew, including director Sam Mendes'
    03 mentionings --> 'Commander James Bond 007 in naval uniform'
    03 mentionings --> 'Wodka Martini, shaken......not stirred!'
    03 mentionings --> 'A straightforward Bond adventure'
    02 mentionings --> 'More funny Q-gadgets'
    02 mentionings --> 'Bring in new/previous crew, including director Martin Campbell'
    02 mentionings --> 'Less CGI that is too obvious'
    02 mentionings --> 'Big overblown finale in the end'
    02 mentionings --> 'Better screenplay/more effective one-liners for Bond'
    01 mentionings --> 'A Gala Brandt story arc'
    01 mentionings --> 'A villain-/ally-mixup, like in FYEO'
    01 mentionings --> 'A dinner with the villain (Dr.No/Kamal Khan)'
    01 mentionings --> 'Better use of Monty Norman's James Bond Theme'
    01 mentionings --> 'Different cinematography/replace Roger Deakins'
    01 mentionings --> 'Let Daniel Craig carry the film completely/less ensemble cast'
    01 mentionings --> 'More screentime for Bond vs. villain'
    01 mentionings --> 'Use of Fleming;s novels for inspiration, like YOLT'
    01 mentionings --> 'No Aston Martin-first time since TWINE'
    01 mentionings --> 'Re-visiting Tracy's and/or Vesper's grave'
    01 mentionings --> 'Different Bond-actor/replace Daniel Craig'
    Looks like a good list so far no ;-)?

Allthough I'd love Thomas Newman to return, I'm a bit alone with that opinion. Most fans on this forum want another composer and especially better music for Bond 23.

The biggest favourite thing fans want to see back in Bond 24, is the gunbarrel at the start of the PTS. Also mentioned a lot, is the return of a revived, modernized Ernst Stavro Blofeld. Apparently, Bond's arch nemesis has been in the closet for too many years.

A simple, plain mission briefing in M's office (Ralph Fiennes) would be highly anticipated as well. A bit like the final scenes in 'Skyfall'. Ooowh, and we all think Daniel Craig is ready for some colder weather. A winter-themed Bond film, with a revived ski sequence is a favourite too.
    From slowly getting rid of Judi Dench's version of M to a nuanced re-introduction of Q and Moneypenny.

Gee, I could have sworn that "SKYFALL" already achieved this - especially in its ridiculous and sexist treatment of "M" and Moneypenny.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I did not feel that the treatment of M and Moneypenny were sexist.
  • RogueAgent wrote:
    I was just thinking of this great Scottish actress:
    f11fc819c24300b7_07e3a34ea2c2e97a_Cannes-Tilda-Swinton.preview.jpeg

Wouldn't Tilda be a very good choice for a large female henchwoman role in Bond 24? She will certainly have a nice age in 2014, 54 years, to play a revived/more complicated Rosa Klebb or Irma Bunt.

I know it's hard to get a 'yes' from Tilda's agent, as she is very picky with roles. But if the screenplay is good enough, I could be 'in' for a true psychotic henchwoman, played by Tilda.

Be great choice for "Property of a Lady"? :D

I never realized Max Zorin had a long lost sister ;)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Good heavens! Now I cannot stop thinking of her except as Zorin's sister. Geez ...

She was wonderful in Michael Clayton.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 3,494
    I remember her best as the somewhat psychotic cult leader in "The Beach". Seriously, she could do a good Bond henchwoman role as long as Craig doesn't have to shag her, as since we were speaking of Zorin we surely don't need a paler version of Grace Jones and this is what that would be :-&
    I remember her best as the somewhat psychotic cult leader in "The Beach". Seriously, she could do a good Bond henchwoman role as long as Craig doesn't have to shag her, as since we were speaking of Zorin we surely don't need a paler version of Grace Jones and this is what that would be :-&

In the end I think it's about acting. Christopher Walken did a magnificent job with the screenplay he got.....and the Maibaum written villain Max Zorin. To simply judge Tilda Swinton on her looks and say she's the pale version of Grace Jones is a bitdenigrating I think. As an actress Tilda did a wunderful job in 'We Need To Talk About Kevin'. Not to mention her Oscar winning role in 'Michael Clayton'. Something Grace Jones never could do.

14 mentionings --> 'Return of more psychotic Ernst Stavro Blofeld (Christoph Waltz?)'
    '[/i]

I am all for the return of Blofeld, heck I have been advocating for it fiercely here, but I don't see why his return would be an improvement over Skyfall. SF did not need Blofeld, for one, and Bond 24 can be great without Blofeld, it is not a sine qua non condition. I am for his return because I want the character to be done justice (finally!) and because I think overall he can become a significant asset to the franchise (if done properly).
  • I remember her best as the somewhat psychotic cult leader in "The Beach". Seriously, she could do a good Bond henchwoman role as long as Craig doesn't have to shag her, as since we were speaking of Zorin we surely don't need a paler version of Grace Jones and this is what that would be :-&

In the end I think it's about acting. Christopher Walken did a magnificent job with the screenplay he got.....and the Maibaum written villain Max Zorin. To simply judge Tilda Swinton on her looks and say she's the pale version of Grace Jones is a bit denigrating I think. As an actress Tilda did a wunderful job in 'We Need To Talk About Kevin'. Not to mention her Oscar winning role in 'Michael Clayton'. Something Grace Jones never could do.

GG, I think you are missing the humor in my post. @4EverBonded got it right away and she's a lady.

Of course it's ultimately about acting and Swinton from what I've seen mops the floor with Jones, so no argument there. But Swinton also has that "Amazon" quality like Jones, and I don't think this type of woman should ever sleep with Bond. I about went blind in 1985 and even now that "love scene" between Sir Rog and Jones gives me a sickening feeling. I don't see how saying an actress is not good looking enough to be a character Bond sleeps with is denigrating in this context.

But that's why I think it's time for such a femme fatale. Did Lesbian Rosa Klebb ever slept with Bond? Did Irma Bunt ever kissed Bond? I think it's time to bring back such a character. Femme fatales like Xenia Onatopp and Fiona Volpe did went to bed with Bond. I wanna have a female villain that doesn't give a shit about Bond's charms, that is willing to use a wip on other Bond girls, a true lesbian psychotic. Tilda Swinton can play that.
  • But that's why I think it's time for such a femme fatale. Did Lesbian Rosa Klebb ever slept with Bond? Did Irma Bunt ever kissed Bond? I think it's time to bring back such a character. Femme fatales like Xenia Onatopp and Fiona Volpe did went to bed with Bond. I wanna have a female villain that doesn't give a shit about Bond's charms, that is willing to use a wip on other Bond girls, a true lesbian psychotic. Tilda Swinton can play that.

I would be fine with such a character that you describe. It would be interesting from a psychological standpoint and a very different role, a woman truly immune to Bond's charms and not just paying lip service to the idea. I could see Swinton handling such a role, which would have also been a better premise for Jones while we're on the subject.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited June 2013 Posts: 4,438
    I repeat, don't mind a woman be lead of Quatum. Couple of times i already give some sugestions. But the best sugestions from that list in my opnion be Eliana Alexander (The looks of Ursula Andress), Catherine McCormack, Connie Nielsen or (but she wil never do it) Isabelle Huppert. Also i sugest Asian as lean of Quantum, Do Thi Hai Yen who whas seen with Michael Cain in The Quiet American.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I do think that we are going to see a woman as the unequivocal main villain for the first time, if not in Bond 24, then Bond 25. The series has always hedged its bets with women--Elektra/Renard and Klebb/Grant/Blofeld--but probably no longer.
    echo wrote:
    I do think that we are going to see a woman as the unequivocal main villain for the first time, if not in Bond 24, then Bond 25. The series has always hedged its bets with women--Elektra/Renard and Klebb/Grant/Blofeld--but probably no longer.

Perhaps that's why Penelope Cruz is linked to Bond 24?

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited June 2013 Posts: 11,139
    Cruz is not linked to Bond 24 @Gustav. It was a fabricated rumour with no merit.

That being said, I'd love for Antje Traue to be cast as a Femme Fatale type character who Bond does sleep with.
    But that's why I think it's time for such a femme fatale. Did Lesbian Rosa Klebb ever slept with Bond? Did Irma Bunt ever kissed Bond? I think it's time to bring back such a character. Femme fatales like Xenia Onatopp and Fiona Volpe did went to bed with Bond. I wanna have a female villain that doesn't give a shit about Bond's charms, that is willing to use a wip on other Bond girls, a true lesbian psychotic. Tilda Swinton can play that.

We have way more femmes fatales as Bond girls than female villains like Rosa Klebb or Irma Bunt. I would rather see ugly, repulsive female villains like Fleming wrote them. Nothing against femmes fatales, but we have seen a lot of them since TB and I don't think they ever top Fiona Volpe.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 11,119
    Ludovico wrote:

We have way more femmes fatales as Bond girls than female villains like Rosa Klebb or Irma Bunt. I would rather see ugly, repulsive female villains like Fleming wrote them. Nothing against femmes fatales, but we have seen a lot of them since TB and I don't think they ever top Fiona Volpe.

Agreed here. It's time for a repulsive female a la Rosa Klebb or Irma Bunt. I would be great if Bond starts using his charm on such a character. And then the only reply he gets is: "Mr. Bond? Listen carefully darling.....I'm a lesbian. And instead of using men's genitales, I'd rather cut them off personally and feed them to my precious Rottweiler. This would especially be the case with small testosteron creatures like you. So excuse me now....I need to check in." Such a line from the mouth of Tilda Swinton would be absolutely stunning....and would create the same tedious laughter in cinemas as I heard with Bardem's homo-erotic moments with Bond :-).
    Ludovico wrote:

Agreed here. It's time for a repulsive female a la Rosa Klebb or Irma Bunt. I would be great if Bond starts using his charm on such a character. And then the only reply he gets is: "Mr. Bond? Listen carefully darling.....I'm a lesbian. And instead of using men's genitales, I'd rather cut them off personally and feed them to my precious Rottweiler. This would especially be the case with small testosteron creatures like you. So excuse me now....I need to check in." Such a line from the mouth of Tilda Swinton would be absolutely stunning....and would create the same tedious laughter in cinemas as I heard with Bardem's homo-erotic moments with Bond :-).

Oh yes that could work. And make her ugly.
  • Just to generate a little controversy...

First of all, I don't think it would actually be possible for ANY 5 elements that might be included in BOND 24 to satisfy EVERY bit of criticism that Bond fandom as a whole has generated regarding the current incarnation of our favorite fictional superspy. We're just THAT demanding a bunch of zealots! Additionally, I don't necessarily accept that it would even be a good thing for Eon Productions to be overly concerned with every little nit that can be picked regarding Skyfall. Look, the film made a gazillion dollars and brought uncounted new fans to the Bond franchise. I don't think Barbara B. and Michael G. W. ought to be staying awake at nights worrying about fan criticism; I trust that they ARE expending as much thought and effort as humanly possible in attempting to produce a worthy follow-up to the overwhelming success they experienced with the 23rd Bond film. That said, here are the 5 elements that I'd like to see in Bond 24:

1) Bond bedding the movie's lead female at the end of the movie. I'm surprised this didn't make the top 5 in the current list. Come on, guys, I realize that you've been re-establishing the character and bucking tradition for awhile; mission accomplished. Now give us the emotional satisfaction (and Fleming tradition!) of Bond savoring his justly-earned reward as the film closes!
    2) Memorable henchperson. I don't care if it's Tilda Swinton or PeeWee Herman; I just want this staple of the classic Bond era to return.
    3) Return of the crime organization Quantum. I don't need a new Blofeld, I don't need the return of Spectre. Been there, done that, collected the bubblegum cards and wrote a book report on the whole blessed experience. Quantum, as established in in QoS, is a fascinating idea and one that I'd love to see explored further. And I'm not sure that Quantum even HAS a single leader, perhaps it's run by a steering commitee of, say, nine. Give us something new, startling, different and modern.
    4) Some good, useful, practical gadgets from Q. The briefcase used in FRWL should be the touchstone here. Bond doesn't need a jetpack he can use at the beginning of the film and then discard, he needs something that won't break the bank in the development and production phase, that can help him accomplish his mission and maybe even save his life when the next Red Grant springs up out of nowhere.
    5) A return to the sense that Bond ENJOYS his life and adventures. Maybe you can even call it FUN. Sure, his world is full of danger and the missions he gets sent on affect the course of world events. But back in the day, one got the sense that a career as a "Double-Naught Spy" (to quote that noted philosopher Jethro Bodine) was also a heck of a lot of fun. Or to quote Fleming himself, from the opening to the novel Live and Let Die: "The are moments of great luxury in the life of a secret agent. There are assignments in which he is required to act the part of a very rich man; occasions in which he takes refuge in good living to efface the memory of danger and the shadow of death..." To the good folks at Eon Productions, I have only one more quote: in the words of Captain Jean-Luc Picard, "Make it so."
    1) Blofeld+Quantum
    2) Bond beding the girl at the end
    3) Snow/skiing scene
    4) Much more Felix Lighter
    5) More gadgets from Q, (preferably tricked out car)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Just to generate a little controversy...

3) Return of the crime organization Quantum. I don't need a new Blofeld, I don't need the return of Spectre. Been there, done that, collected the bubblegum cards and wrote a book report on the whole blessed experience. Quantum, as established in in QoS, is a fascinating idea and one that I'd love to see explored further. And I'm not sure that Quantum even HAS a single leader, perhaps it's run by a steering commitee of, say, nine. Give us something new, startling, different and modern.
    5) A return to the sense that Bond ENJOYS his life and adventures. Maybe you can even call it FUN. Sure, his world is full of danger and the missions he gets sent on affect the course of world events. But back in the day, one got the sense that a career as a "Double-Naught Spy" (to quote that noted philosopher Jethro Bodine) was also a heck of a lot of fun.

I agree with you on Quantum. It will have been at least six years since QoS, though, so if they do it, they should simplify and streamline it. The TSWLM draft where the "new guard" assassinates the old SPECTRE and takes over might work well transposed to Quantum.

I also agree with you on the sense of fun. Craig is capable of it--look at the Ocean Club gambling sequence in CR.
    Bond bedding a real Bond-girl in the end.

Exactly what is a "read Bond-girl"?
  • DRush76 wrote:
    Bond bedding a real Bond-girl in the end.

Exactly what is a "read Bond-girl"?

A "read Bond-girl" is a female who reads any of Fleming's original novels.

A REAL Bond girl is another matter entirely...

To be honest? I always found the 'Bond bedding the Bond girl in the end' moments in the Brosnan movies utterly cheesy, badly written and with lack of any humour.

With Roger Moore.....it always worked instantly (Take me around the world one more time, 'Moonraker'). And with Timothy Dalton, I truly believed the extra romance he put into these scenes (Bond jumping in the swimming pool).

Also don't forget Bond was bedding Strawberry Fields in his hotelroom in Bolivia. And the shower scene in 'Skyfall' was truly magnificent if you ask me (Bond: "You look better without a beretta". Severine: "I feel naked without it").

But the Brosnan ones? Ugh......I always felt some kind of...loathing. And in all honesty, if these scenes, these 'Bond bedding Bond girl' scenes all have it to tackle every inch of criticism we had with 'Skyfall', then we're introducing Brosnan's campness in Bond again.

I do think that with a villain (Blofeld) or a revived crime syndicate (SPECTRE, QUANTUM) you facilitate screenplay writers (John Logan) wunderfully. As 'Casino Royale' was all about the introduction of Bond and 'Skyfall' about the relationship with 'M', then let Bond 24 at least be about a majestic, but realistic villains plot.....worked out properly by a revived, modernized crime syndicate......headed by one villain that we all should be proud of: Blofeld.
    I do think that with a villain (Blofeld) or a revived crime syndicate (SPECTRE, QUANTUM) you facilitate screenplay writers (John Logan) wunderfully. As 'Casino Royale' was all about the introduction of Bond and 'Skyfall' about the relationship with 'M', then let Bond 24 at least be about a majestic, but realistic villains plot.....worked out properly by a revived, modernized crime syndicate......headed by one villain that we all should be proud of: Blofeld.
    What is it with Logan, anyway? If he´s such a great writer, then why are there such dumb lines in the film as, "How the hell did they get into our system"? Or was that just poor execution on behalf of the director?
    Both CR and, to an even greater degree, QOS were about the relationship with M to a sufficient degree. If Bond 24 were "about" a villain´s plot, what would we have the following Bond films "about"? Isn´t Bond a secret service operative with a license to kill and a knack for luxurious recreation? He doesn´t need an emotional trauma as a cause for that. He could just like it. As was also described by Fleming. It was sufficiently believable that Bond had some personal issues with the Vesper thing. Having him next in a Nolan-identity-crisis-drama is kind of a step off the path, even when one ignores the fact that Fleming gave Bond nothing but comforting memories regarding his childhood. So maybe it should be the normal thing for a Bond film to be about majestic villains plots? It would be better to concentrate the creativity on exactly that, instead of on Bond´s personal surroundings.
    As for the modernized crime syndicate, what if not that was Quantum? They are the perfect personification of the network-cloud-age we´re living in. A single leader would merely defeat the purpose. As for Blofeld, I say the same I said about the DB5: grand, but let the past rest in piece. Similar character anytime, but not the name. The name would be connected anyhow to a bald guy from old Bond films, so if they were to do the Fleming character justice, which I would find great by itself, they should just give him a fresh name.

1) An action scene that makes the audience really feel that Bond puts himself in grave danger, like the telepheric scene in OHMSS
    2) The return of some skiing
    3) A nice dinner scene with the villain (I would also suggest Christopher Waltz)
    4) An escape scene (Bond is captured and manages to escape thanks to smartness AND boldness)
    5) A nice fistfight
    1) A little more tempo.
    2) A less depressing scenario. Bond is about DANGER!! and not about identity crisis.