DIE ANOTHER DAY: First 30 minutes perfect?

Comments

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    acoppola wrote:
    Craig cleaned up the mess of DAD nicely and did not leave even a tiny trace of it.

Craig just happened to star in CR. He gave a good performance but I think it's unfair to say he cleaned up the mess of DAD, he was given a good script. It's like saying DAD was Brosnans fault, it's not, he was given a bad script.

It was not Brosnan's fault, I'll give you that. But his tenure was up. Never again I want to see so many clichés in one film.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 173
    What comes to mind is Brosnan's reaction during that Everything or Nothing documentary. He kept laughing and gesturing as though even HE is embarrased of this movie. It led me to believe he regrets it ever got made (I was cringing during that bit of the docu). I haven't watched this film in a long time, but I do remember that after leaving the cinema I was like... ah.. WTF was that. (And I disliked Halle Berry (And the Madonna cameo and the title song)).
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    BAIN123 wrote:
    acoppola wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    It's certainly somethig to win both an Oscar AND a Razzie. Didn't Sandra Bullock also achieve the same?

Whatever the truth is about Bullock, Berry was woefully miscast and made Mary Goodnight in TMWTGG look smart. They were both dumbed down Bond girls. And in the next film we would get the supremely talented Eva Green who had the perfect modern qualities and will stand the test of time.

Part of me actually finds Goodnight more annoying. I can't put my finger on why. I suppose Jinx doesn't trigger a deadly solar device with her arse cheeks. While she is unbearably smug she doesn't act like a COMPLETE airhead.

Oh Goodnight is a pain in the ass. But Jinx is supposed to be Bond's equal and we are told she is a highly trained operative.

Goodnight was on purpose supposed to be a joke in Guy Hamilton's film. But much was made of Berry's redefining the role for Bond girls before the film came out.

• Regan wrote:
    What comes to mind is Brosnan's reaction during that Everything or Nothing documentary. He kept laughing and gesturing as though even HE is embarrased of this movie. It led me to believe he regrets it ever got made (I was cringing during that bit of the docu). I haven't watched this film in a long time, but I do remember that after leaving the cinema I was like... ah.. WTF was that. (And I disliked Halle Berry (And the Madonna cameo and the title song)).

I liked the title song; it was one of the things I did enjoy that came out of the movie.

Regan wrote:

I don't think Brosnan will watch that film again because like you say, he is embarassed. And my goodness, but when he sees Skyfall, he is going to go grey.

I liked the title song; it was one of the things I did enjoy that came out of the movie.

Eeesh... I never could warm up to that song, it makes me cringe everytime that "Sigmund Freud" part comes along. :( Maybe it's just because I've never been a Madonna fan.
  • Regan wrote:
    Eeesh... I never could warm up to that song, it makes me cringe everytime that "Sigmund Freud" part comes along. :( Maybe it's just because I've never been a Madonna fan.

Well, I don't normally enjoy her work, but I didn't mind that song. Certainly not my favorite, but enjoyable enough for what it is.

I completely agree with you about her cameo in the movie. Bleech.

• edited November 2012 Posts: 11,189
    acoppola wrote:
    Regan wrote:

I don't think Brosnan will watch that film again because like you say, he is embarassed. And my goodness, but when he sees Skyfall, he is going to go grey.

I think one thing we can take comfort from is that Brosnan himself laughs at that scene now (one of the best parts of the documentary IMO).

Although I remember him saying during the DAD audio commentary "that works I think...I believe that" when the sequence came on. I suspect...deep down...he knew the movie was bad but what are you meant to say when you are supposed to be promoting the film (at the time of recording it hadn't even been released in cinemas)?
  • YES. lets celebrate. Without this mess of a film we might not be where we are today with a great Bond and a stunning film for the 5oth Anniversary. And lets not forget this -
    when asked in a recent interview which film they would like to see remade DAD writers Purvis and Wade actually picked DAD. They would love to see this one remade and probably remade well...and without Tamahori at the controls.
    edited November 2012 Posts: 1,243
    acoppola wrote:
    Craig cleaned up the mess of DAD nicely and did not leave even a tiny trace of it.

Craig just happened to star in CR. He gave a good performance but I think it's unfair to say he cleaned up the mess of DAD, he was given a good script. It's like saying DAD was Brosnans fault, it's not, he was given a bad script.

Brosnan was insulted with DAD and it was a script beneath him. But Craig had more sense when it comes to telling the producers of what he will do and won't do from the outset.

I criticise Brosnan as when he became Bond, he had huge leverage with EON as at the time there was no one seen as a replacement for him. He could have told them to give him something truly decent. $100 million budgets, I expect far more in terms of script. No excuses.

And DAD was three years in development so changes could have been made. SF is clear proof of what can be done when an actor puts his foot down.

Craig would never even be suggested such a stupid script. Brosnan was, so something tells me he liked it at the time.

Brosnan's first two films are his better ones and TND is where he nails the role the best.

acoppola wrote:

It's just such a huge black spot on his tenure, I kinda feel sorry for him because it's very hard to ignore. I like Brosnan, despite what I've said before about the smarminess and what not, and I actually really like Goldeneye but this is just not even in the same galaxy quadrant. However, this whole thread has made me want to rewatch DAD just to see how it all feels now. (though I'm predicting my lil' experiment will not go too well).
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    GE is miles ahead of DAD, even though I've come to like TWINE more over time.
    Regan wrote:
    acoppola wrote:

It's just such a huge black spot on his tenure, I kinda feel sorry for him because it's very hard to ignore. I like Brosnan, despite what I've said before about the smarminess and what not, and I actually really like Goldeneye but this is just not even in the same galaxy quadrant. However, this whole thread has made me want to rewatch DAD just to see how it all feels now. (though I'm predicting my lil' experiment will not go too well).

Brosnan is a good Bond, but he went along with the dumbing down. He was a Bond star and hugely popular. If he had told the producers he will quit after his third unless they work better on character, then believe me they would have listened.

Brosnan seemed to be more concerned with ramping up the sex and even said so. I would have ramped up the character development as first priority.

• acoppola wrote:
    Brosnan is a good Bond, but he went along with the dumbing down. He was a Bond star and hugely popular. If he had told the producers he will quit after his third unless they work better on character, then believe me they would have listened.

Brosnan seemed to be more concerned with ramping up the sex and even said so. I would have ramped up the character development as first priority.
    Well, that might be a tad harsh; I think Bronsan did well with the role and the material he was given, but he was playing the part when everyone seemed a lot more concerned with the style of Bond as opposed to the substance of Bond.

• In support of Brosnan. I think when he signed on to do DAD the cgi surfing and the invisible car wasn't even in the script. But I suppose he could have put a stop to it and told the producers I'm not doing that or what on earth is this director doing?...Plus a lot of the script went through huge rewrites even during production and Brosnan probably turned up on the day and in the end just got on with it.
    acoppola wrote:
    We are all different Jim. I guess it depends on attraction to a Bond girl. Me, I thought Halle Berry was sexier in Catwoman.

You might dislike her in DAD, but she was a heck of a lot better than in that vehicle called Catwoman. That movie is a waste of sexy women namely Berry and Stone, and did a big disservice to the character of catwoman. I am still surprised that movie ever got made with such a script.

DAD suffered from a OTT ending, which to be honest CR did offer nothing different at the final. But overall both are pretty decent movies. Tamahori should have been reigned in to be honest and the reboot of CR is still a rather stupid idea. ANd EON must agree as it did its best ignoring it in SF.

If I want a no-pretense 007 movie which offers some spectacle DAD can do the job. As such it ended the run a highly succesfull 007 performer who did bring the character back into the limelight. I celebrate its 10 years due to a job well done by mr Brosnan. And I cannot believe it that Craig has been the 007 on duty for those years. ANd I do hope he does bring the fun back to the 007 movies, I found his characterisation a bit depressing these last three movies. You cannot call him a fun Bond even if you wanted it, and he is kind of rough on his friends, lovers and comrades. (Mathis, Severin, Vesper, Miss Fields and M). It would be nice to see him ending on top of a woman for a change instead of ending in a depressive streak. Brosnan, Dalton, Moore, Lazenby & Connery did that way better.

Less said about that trainwreck of DAD the better. The movie is best forgotten as Craig stepped into the roll and his films are top notch (except for QoS)
    I enjoy DAD. Is it my fave Brosnan? No. There is a lot to like in my opinion and whilst the tone is inconsistent, to me this is because it tries to honor ALL of the prior movies. The first half, with it's more gritty tone pays tribute to LTK, OHMSS, FYEO and the second is more in the spirit of DAF and several films from the Moore era. In a sense, it's a goody bag of the past 40 years of Bond.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,350
    The short answer to the question is no. This film will always be the OTT joke of the series.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited November 2012 Posts: 2,629
    Folks, the positive thing is that DAD is 40 years after Dr No, 35 years after You Only Live Twice, 25 years after The Spy Who Loved Me, 15 years after The Living Daylights, 5 years after Tomorrow Never Dies and 10 years before Skyfall. Any of those films will be honored on their respective anniversaries before DAD.

I think we're safe from any DAD anniversaries.
    Die Another Day is quite fun. Totally enjoy the movie, not in the masterpiece kind of way. But it's like Connery's DAF, it's his campy swan song. It's not a badass finale like Dalton's LTK, but's in line with Moore's AVTAK. IT's as if all the major Bond actors kind of went out in a wimper, but a light 'n easy one. Brosnan seems most relaxed in this film, and that is one of it's problems. Unfortunately Brosnan also looks a little older and heavier, and seems like Connery strolling through the movie until payday. I do feel like the actors really relish the Bond cliche, and while amusing, it unfortunately collapses on itself. Too many silly self gestures get in the way of the narrative. Still, I enjoy this film immensely.
    DAD is pretty good until Bond walks into the hotel half naked in pyjamas :-))
  • DAD put Brosnan on a downward spiral IMHO. I just couldn't go back and watch GE, TND or TWINE after seeing him in Mamma Mia.
  • SaintMark wrote:
    You cannot call him a fun Bond even if you wanted it, and he is kind of rough on his friends, lovers and comrades. (Mathis, Severin, Vesper, Miss Fields and M).

I would say there is still some fun there. The banter between Bond and Vesper on the train is amazing. The stare he gives to Solange at the hotel in Bahamas where he drives around the entrance and back again to pick her up... The "That's because you know what I can do with my little finger" quip - QoS "I can't find the er... stationary, come and help me look..." etc...

Skyfall had lots of fun bits, like when he jumps from the train and does his suit cuff up, or the whole "What makes you think this is my first time?" or the close shave scene with Moneypenny... There's still fun there, I suppose it's perhaps less and more restrained to witty responses rather than spitting out wise-cracks and one-liners like say in the Brosnan era...

That said, a lot of people have expressed that's they'd like to see the films close out with Bond and his lady again - because that failed kiss or whatever that was at the end of QoS was kinda awkward.
  • DAD is probably better than Skyfail and definitely better than Licence to kill, but that does not make it a good Bond-movie.
    [
    DAD is probably better than Skyfail and definitely better than Licence to kill, but that does not make it a good Bond-movie.

[-( [-( [-( [-(
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Well, lucky for @jasonbourne I don't have a licence to kill.

;)
    DAD is a bad film but does it really matter, Bond has highs and lows, it's all part of the series, I would still watch it if it popped up on TV. I'm sure there will be another terrible film in the next 20 years.
    Die another day went from good to the worst! it started so well with a grate opening scene and we see bond captured tortured and unable to escape. Then Bond abandoned by MI6 he sets out to get revenge on whoever betrayed him at this point the film is showing promise and the halle barrys leap of death which she some how survives(which I only forgave her for because she looks good in a bikini). Then along came John cheese
    and invisible cars then apart from the odd sword fight and a mad car ice dance the film went down hill faster then Bond in a cello case. I mean just as we almost forgot about Bond for his saved by the bell crack the one liners just kept coming cheesy one liner after another (The best one being hows that for a punch line) well after that I started to for the first time in my life started to fall asleep during a bond film I mean how could not what with Mr Kill and CGI waves and Graves robo suit the excitement I could not contain myself as the cheese started to pile up like a grate pile of rotten stilton the film started to stink worse then a week old gym bag. Bad script, poor characters, poor plot, Mr Kill (I know i just said poor characters but Mr Kill was that bad that I thought he should be mentioned twice) Bad gadgets etc etc etc not bonds finest hour.