DIE ANOTHER DAY: First 30 minutes perfect?

1101112131416»

Comments

• JamesCraig wrote: »
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    jobo wrote: »
    QBranch wrote: »
    Pick a scene, any scene, and I'll tell you what's great about it.

Ok. The selfinflicted cardigan arrest. What's great about it?

The PTS. What's great about it?

Madonna's song. What's great about it?

Nothing.

Nothing.

Nothing.

How people can bash any of the Craig movies (including Skyfall which for some reason is despised by some "troo Bondfanz") and like or at least tolerate DAD is beyond me.

I must say though that Brosnan's performance is not to blame.

I’ll be honest and say that QOS and Spectre are probably worse films than Die Another Day. Die Another Day at least knows it’s stupid, entertaining fun, it’s somewhat self aware in its stupidity, but that doesn’t forgive any of the flaws in that film. Like I said before in this thread, this film stops being good the minute Bond stops his own heartbeat, and that’s like 10 minutes in. Whereas QOS and Spectre try to be something deep and meaningful in their own ways, but fall completely flat on their faces, and ultimately in the end, they just end up being boring and shallow films with little to no redeeming elements. I’d at least take a stupid romp like Die Another Day, over the dull and dour slugfests that are hard to watch. Still, all three films are at the very bottom of the gunbarrel for me.

QOS is the worst of the Craig Bonds, SP is just so bland. But that doesn't change the fact that DAD is the worst Bondmovie ever made imho.

Even worse than CR67 and NSNA?
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome

Nothing.

Nothing.

Nothing.

How people can bash any of the Craig movies (including Skyfall which for some reason is despised by some "troo Bondfanz") and like or at least tolerate DAD is beyond me.

I’ll be honest and say that QOS and Spectre are probably worse films than Die Another Day. Die Another Day at least knows it’s stupid, entertaining fun, it’s somewhat self aware in its stupidity, but that doesn’t forgive any of the flaws in that film. Like I said before in this thread, this film stops being good the minute Bond stops his own heartbeat, and that’s like 10 minutes in. Whereas QOS and Spectre try to be something deep and meaningful in their own ways, but fall completely flat on their faces, and ultimately in the end, they just end up being boring and shallow films with little to no redeeming elements. I’d at least take a stupid romp like Die Another Day, over the dull and dour slugfests that are hard to watch. Still, all three films are at the very bottom of the gunbarrel for me.

QOS is the worst of the Craig Bonds, SP is just so bland. But that doesn't change the fact that DAD is the worst Bondmovie ever made imho.

Even worse than CR67 and NSNA?

Those don't count, "classic".
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Ryan wrote: »
    There's been several posts referencing Bond stopping his heart ten minutes in, but hey, let's at least give credit where credit is due. The pre-title sequence is 13 minutes long, so Bond stopping his heart is likely more around the 25 minute mark or so. Thus, the film is good for approximately 25 minutes. It's only fair. ;)

I’ll admit that pre title sequence is quite entertaining, but like 25 minutes is not enough to make up for just how south Die Another Day goes after that. I can’t believe I liked this movie as a kid...

I'm with you on that. I was ten years old when it came out and left the cinema proclaiming it to be the best Bond film ever. The wait for the DVD felt like an eternity after that. I think even by the time I watched it again I felt much less enthusiastic about it. Now it ranks at the bottom of my list. Oh how opinions change!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Nothing.

Nothing.

Nothing.

Oh I think Spectre has a sense of fun about it in parts, and it has real style in places here and there. QoS I would agree on though: I think it's possibly my least favourite Bond film because it doesn't really feel like a Bond film at all.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 2,065
    mtm wrote: »

Nothing.

Nothing.

Nothing.

Oh I think Spectre has a sense of fun about it in parts, and it has real style in places here and there. QoS I would agree on though: I think it's possibly my least favourite Bond film because it doesn't really feel like a Bond film at all.

On my rewatch I did come away at the very least think Spectre was better than QOS, and tbh I can see it topping Die Another Day in a future ranking as well. I also think Craig’s best performance as Bond is in Spectre as well. In a weird retroactive way, I think NTTD helped me overcome some of the flaws I have w/ SPECTRE’s story elements, and even improves upon them.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah it's got problems, and it falls to pieces in a way that DAD probably actually doesn't (the Ice Palace car battle bit is pretty good fun really), but Spectre has enough memorable moments and good bits, and feels like a Bond film enough for me to not think it's absolutely terrible. It is kind of like lots of bits of Bond films joined together rather than one good Bond film though.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

This is fun. Halle Berry coming out of the sea!
    mattjoes wrote: »

... and the woeful dialogue?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

There's dialogue in that scene? I could learn to like it, if I had the time. But I was busy looking at Halle's berries. At Berry's halles. At Giacinta's Johnsons.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

There's dialogue in that scene? I could learn to like it, if I had the time. But I was busy looking at Halle's berries. At Berry's halles. At Giacinta's Johnsons.

"I'm sorry, did you say something?"
  • On a side note, I do like the scene of Bond knocking out the bully then pushing him around in a wheelchair “Weekend at Bernies” style.
    I know everyone rightly slags the cgi surfing but both jinx’s backward dive and the model shot of the ice racer going over the cliff are just as bad.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2021 Posts: 12,459
    haha! I thought this was on NTTD.

For DAD, yes it has an excellent first half and I like Pierce in this film throughout; but especially the first half.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Hideous - I have to look away! And Jinx' belt buckle is shaped like a 'J'!

Berries, huh? Wooow, now there's a mouthful!
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited October 2021 Posts: 3,497
    mtm wrote: »

Nothing.

Nothing.

Nothing.

On my rewatch I did come away at the very least think Spectre was better than QOS, and tbh I can see it topping Die Another Day in a future ranking as well. I also think Craig’s best performance as Bond is in Spectre as well. In a weird retroactive way, I think NTTD helped me overcome some of the flaws I have w/ SPECTRE’s story elements, and even improves upon them.

Spectre was never as bad as some made it out to be. But it's not better than NTTD or SF imho.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I enjoy DAD everytime i see it.