DIE ANOTHER DAY: First 30 minutes perfect?

Comments

Not buying into any of this!
    Awful Bond film from beginning to end!
    That opening sequence, Brossa just looks silly with his beard and long hair, like he's just stepped out of Monty Pythons Life of Brian!
    The hovercraft chase, like all of Vic Armstrongs set pieces are drawn out and lifeless!
    Its not just the ice surfing, CGI , and invisible car. It has terrible dialogue and weak characters and lefs not forget that dirge of a theme song! And they go and give Madonna a part in it, and yes true to the form of the film...she is terrible!
    Bond surfing?!?
    no

DAD, I'm afraid, is unforgivable. Even those gritty torture scenes could have been better directed, better acted, better written. I'm a Brosnan fan and a DAD hater.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    There's definitely something in DAD that could've been good, with quite a few more rewrites. It would be an interesting task for a writer. Make Die Another Day a great Bond film :) Might even try it haha
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    A great deal of Non-Bond fans, find DAD to be the Best Bond film till date....I wonder what the Franchise would have looked like today, if DAD was a Critical Success. Maybe CR would have been a Very Different Bond film.....probably not as grounded as we know it Today.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    A great deal of Non-Bond fans, find DAD to be the Best Bond film till date....I wonder what the Franchise would have looked like today, if DAD was a Critical Success. Maybe CR would have been a Very Different Bond film.....probably not as grounded as we know it Today.

At least Brosnan would have done a fifth, and maybe a sixth. Who knows? And maybe they'd be as different to DAD as DAD was to TWINE. Or maybe Bond would've gone to Mars and battled a green monkey voiced by Tony Hopkins. Or Tarantino would have made his Bond film with a very Julian-Nobled-Pierce Bond. And maybe Craig would have an oscar by now. Who knows? 8-}
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    The only perfect thing in that absolute disaster of a film is Halle’s body. Even in front of a silly CGI background.
    matt_u wrote: »
    The only perfect thing in that absolute disaster of a film is Halle’s body. Even in front of a silly CGI background.

+1

bc1a36bc9d81bebd2154fd896326523f.gif
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Can't argue with that one; such lovely lines.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I personally think Rosamund Pike was always the reason I rewatched the film :D
    DAD is an oddball. It tries to suddenly keep up with the CG tentpole releases of the era and the PG-13 market but I think the real curveball was in allowing Tamahori to bring in far too many off the wall ideas and wrong elements that really make it feel like a non-Bond film many times.

The opening sections are fine. They didn't have to digitally desaturate the opening but it works. Everything works up until Jinx shows up and the Isle of Los Organos beauty parlor where it goes off the rails.

Ultimately it has flashes and fun bits and Brozzer still soldiers on but it doesn't ever work as it should have. There are good ideas that either go nowhere or off into fantasy-land. Tamahori chose to incorporate too many non-Bond elements and one cringes throughout-but it is not the worst film in the world and Bond is still actually Bond instead of the Craig era which went off into a no man's land.

And it has one HELL of a sound mix. Still a phenomenal action track to this day and will make any home theater take flight-so it's best to watch this loud and engage the rear surround decoders as this track was made in the era of 5.1/6.1 crossover and has extra rear center surround information.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Having just watched it along with the James Bond and Friends podcast I was reminded how there are some good elements in this film. I would have to say the start of the film is pretty good. I enjoy how the torture is drawn out over the credits. It's edited in a such a way that the audience is left to fill in the blanks as to what actually happened to Bond.

There is way too much hate here for the movie and the usual things are carted out. The CGI, the Ice Palace, the invisible car. To me the sins of this movie isn't dissimilar to MR or AVTAK.

It has some fun and it's not a movie that stands up well to scrutiny. However it entertains. The film is badly paced in the second half with it becoming more about set pieces and less about character. No time for a love story between Jinx and Bond.

I enjoy the film for what it is escapist fun. Without it there is no CR. Just like without MR there is no FYEO. Look back on the series and you will see the films get too fantastical and then return to a more basic approach.

Enjoy it as a guilty pleasure. Stop with the Bond doesn't surf, Bond doesn't this and that. The series jumped any sense of reality when a underground volcano was the lair of a mad man bent on creating World War 3. When a satellite in space was lasering targets on earth. When Bond went to space for Christ sakes.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    thedove wrote: »
    Having just watched it along with the James Bond and Friends podcast I was reminded how there are some good elements in this film. I would have to say the start of the film is pretty good. I enjoy how the torture is drawn out over the credits. It's edited in a such a way that the audience is left to fill in the blanks as to what actually happened to Bond.

There is way too much hate here for the movie and the usual things are carted out. The CGI, the Ice Palace, the invisible car. To me the sins of this movie isn't dissimilar to MR or AVTAK.

It has some fun and it's not a movie that stands up well to scrutiny. However it entertains. The film is badly paced in the second half with it becoming more about set pieces and less about character. No time for a love story between Jinx and Bond.

I enjoy the film for what it is escapist fun. Without it there is no CR. Just like without MR there is no FYEO. Look back on the series and you will see the films get too fantastical and then return to a more basic approach.

Enjoy it as a guilty pleasure. Stop with the Bond doesn't surf, Bond doesn't this and that. The series jumped any sense of reality when a underground volcano was the lair of a mad man bent on creating World War 3. When a satellite in space was lasering targets on earth. When Bond went to space for Christ sakes.

Thank you.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 4,400

This post nails it.

Also, there are considerable elements that do 'work' about the film. Nonetheless, the film is less than the sum of its parts (but it's still entertaining).

Also, the Ice Palace isn't that crazy an idea. It's actually based on a hotel made of ice in Jukkasjärvi, Sweden.

sweden-lapland-icehotel25-art-suite-abject-beauty-600x0-c-default.jpg

There's a very impressive documentary on the DVD that goes through each element in detail.....does anyone know if its online?

In fact the DAD's DVD has so many goodies. I don't think many lasted on the Ultimate Edition. But there's some great stuff on the initial released DVD from 2003.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I personally think Rosamund Pike was always the reason I rewatched the film :D

Rosamund was terrifically cast in that role. I actually think she looks amazing now and is such a terrific actress. I'd be more than happy to see her return to the series in another role.

Rosamund-Pike-Net-Worth.jpg

Is it weird that I'm getting nostalgic for DAD?
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 7,500
    I guess the scenes in what is supposed to look like Hong Kong and the meeting with Raoul in Cuba Cadiz are quite good. And the sword fight is great. A nice updated version of Bond humiliating a villain in games at a Blades style club. The rest of the film though is garbage! What makes it the worst in the franchise for me is the dialogue. DAF is pretty awful and boring too, but there the script (minus the story) is at least decent. In DAD not only is the story ridiculous and the performances bad, but you also have to endure dialogue that seems like its written by a horny high school student on an acid trip...
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 3,279
    jobo wrote: »
    I guess the scenes in what is supposed to look like Hong Kong and the meeting with Raoul in Cuba Cadiz are quite good. And the sword fight is great. A nice updated version of Bond humiliating a villain in games at a Blades style club. The rest of the film though is garbage! What makes it the worst in the franchise for me is the dialogue. DAF is pretty awful and boring too, but there the script (minus the story) is at least decent. In DAD not only is the story ridiculous and the performances bad, but you also have to endure dialogue that seems like its written by a horny high school student on an acid trip...

You hit the nail on the head there. I think the Hong Kong scene was actually Hong Kong (no mistaking that skyline).

DAD is, and always will be, the official worst Bond film in the franchise. It was always destined for sinking to the bottom of the barrel and propping up the list, taking over from the unenviable spot that used to reside with AVTAK for many years. Both films share common traits, but the main one being the final film of each actor to end their tenure. Poor Moore and Brozza - what a way to go out.

It's safe to say that with the likes of FRWL, OHMSS and GF usually being in most fans top 5 films, AVTAK and DAD typically find themselves at the bottom of that same list too.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 7,500

You hit the nail on the head there. I think the Hong Kong scene was actually Hong Kong (no mistaking that skyline).

DAD is, and always will be, the official worst Bond film in the franchise. It was always destined for sinking to the bottom of the barrel and propping up the list, taking over from the unenviable spot that used to reside with AVTAK for many years. Both films share common traits, but the main one being the final film of each actor to end their tenure. Poor Moore and Brozza - what a way to go out.

It's safe to say that with the likes of FRWL, OHMSS and GF usually being in most fans top 5 films, AVTAK and DAD typically find themselves at the bottom of that same list too.

The back drop from the boat was quite obviously Hong Kong but it was also quite obviously rear projection. I don't think they actually shot anything except that backdrop on location, but I could be wrong.

Personally I think DAF could be added to that list of embarassing send offs. I sure hope Craig will leave on a better note.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I'm pretty sure the Hong Kong skyline was a matte painting or something.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    Dire 'Nother Day is the nadir of the franchise. It doesn't have ANY redeeming qualities. The dialogue is cheesier than Julio Iglesias, there are far too many nods to the past, the CGI tsunami looks like it was made using a rusty knife and fork, the MTV editing looked dated even on its release, it tries too hard to be cool and the baddie is like some pantomime villain. It's just a bloated mess.

The back drop from the boat was quite obviously Hong Kong but it was also quite obviously rear projection. I don't think they actually shot anything except that backdrop on location, but I could be wrong.

Personally I think DAF could be added to that list of embarassing send offs. I sure hope Craig will leave on a better note.

There is a case for DAF to belong to that list too. Its redeeming features are mainly the original Bond star Connery back at the helm, the Barry soundtrack, the witty one-liners, and the period it was set in. The early 70's vibe, the creepy Hammer horror feel, the memorable Mustang stunt, the elevator fight, Bambi & Thumper, Kidd & Wint, etc. just about give the film a free pass.

DAD has no redeeming features and no memorable scenes (or memorable for the wrong reasons, if you count the now infamous CGI surf scene and invisible car moments).
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    The nadir of the franchise? It grossed millions and was well received! The nadir of the franchise was TMTWGG which underperformed so badly that Harry had to leap off and it was really unclear if Broccoli could carry it on. Thankfully TSWLM came along and the rest is history. Some would argue that TSWLM is a leap of logic and faith. After all I haven't seen many cars that convert to submarines. So if an invisible car is fantasy and non-sensical what the hell is the Lotus that becomes a sub? Yet I rarely if ever hear Spy knocked for having it.

If you watch the tsunami sequence you will see that the water looks fairly realistic, the effect falls apart with Bond and the lack of grace and art on the figure. Yes the editing looks dated and in some cases over done. Watch Once Upon a Time in the West, Woodstock, Elvis on Tour, all films that are a snapshot of their time.

One person's bloated mess is another's pleasure! Cheers!
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 3,279
    The nadir of the franchise? It grossed millions and was well received! The nadir of the franchise was TMTWGG which underperformed so badly that Harry had to leap off and it was really unclear if Broccoli could carry it on. Thankfully TSWLM came along and the rest is history. Some would argue that TSWLM is a leap of logic and faith. After all I haven't seen many cars that convert to submarines. So if an invisible car is fantasy and non-sensical what the hell is the Lotus that becomes a sub? Yet I rarely if ever hear Spy knocked for having it.

If you watch the tsunami sequence you will see that the water looks fairly realistic, the effect falls apart with Bond and the lack of grace and art on the figure. Yes the editing looks dated and in some cases over done. Watch Once Upon a Time in the West, Woodstock, Elvis on Tour, all films that are a snapshot of their time.

One person's bloated mess is another's pleasure! Cheers!

Like FRWL is widely acclaimed to be one of the best in the franchise, its safe to say DAD is widely acclaimed as the worst in the franchise, judging by the countless forum opinions, magazine and online articles, reviews, polls, etc.

TSWLM has many redeeming features, as does TMWTGG. DAD has literally none, other than it didn't flop at the BO.

But sure, there will be always be someone out there who thinks that bloated, stinking mess is a pleasure. The world is indeed a strange place. ;)
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    The nadir of the franchise? It grossed millions and was well received!

It was a box office hit, but it wasn't critically well received. At best it was very mixed, much like TND and TWINE were.

That said, I still wouldn't call it the nadir of the franchise. Aside from Halle Berry's scenes, everything up until Bond goes to Iceland is arguably the best Brosnan Bond film, if only everything else afterward didn't happen.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    That opening sequence, Brossa just looks silly with his beard and long hair, like he's just stepped out of Monty Pythons Life of Brian!
    The hovercraft chase, like all of Vic Armstrongs set pieces are drawn out and lifeless!
    Its not just the ice surfing, CGI , and invisible car. It has terrible dialogue and weak characters and lefs not forget that dirge of a theme song! And they go and give Madonna a part in it, and yes true to the form of the film...she is terrible!

Your post made me smile, so thank you. :)
    In DAF when Bond meets Tiffany, you might think Bond is being a smartass with his quips, most of them funny, but it does feel like a conversation. In DAD it's just Jinx and Bond hitting each other with one-liners until they can go to bed. And those quips are woeful.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 4,400
    This review for DAD is hilarious.....this guy nails this film perfectly. Also, it's slickly edited and incorporates footage. The reviewer is right though, this film is entertaining. There is certainly an argument that DAD is a 'good bad film.'

I also found this interview with Brosnan which is hilarious as he speaks of how Lee Tamahori is bringing realisty and grit to the film.

Also, the man himself.......on paper, he did seem an edgy and cool choice. Shame he turned out to be quite so outrageously wrong

also, you can see Halle Berry in a bikini freezing cold with Barbara running to give her a jacket here:

• cwl007cwl007 England
    Yeah, the promotion interviews from the period are hilarious to watch. I've posted on here previously how I remember Brosnan telling Michael Parkinson on the BAFTA 40th anniversary show what a great choice Tamahori was and how he'll bring something different to the franchise (he got that right🤣)
    I don't think Brosnan actually believed it himself I just think Mr B is a professional and will positively spin whatever project he is employed on, as we all do in our jobs.
    I've always felt there iare some great ideas and a great film hidden in there somewhere if it had been helmed by someone who 'got' a Bond film. I.e. Not Tamahori. He is to Bond what Schumacher is to Batman for me.
    The DAD we got was shit quite frankly.
  • DAD could have been a solid fun entry like YOLT, TSWLM, and TND had the infamous cringeworthy elements been removed and the second half rewritten entirely to have the climax take place in Iceland.
    echo wrote: »

You're welcome!
    This thread doesnt! Bottom line?
    You cant polish a turd!

You're welcome!
    You cant polish a turd!

And what a steaming turd DAD undoubtedly is!
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom

You're welcome!
    You cant polish a turd!

And what a steaming turd DAD undoubtedly is!

Exactly right. I utterly detest it with the burning intensity of a billion suns. I felt mortified to be a Bond fan when I was sat in the cinema. I'd taken friends and told them what a treat they were in for. It doesn't have any redeeming qualities. No other Bond film comes near it in terms of poor quality in every single department. I'm genuinely baffled when people say they like it. It's Bond for mouth-breathers