Kingsman: The Great Game (2019)

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

I think you're doing a massive disservice to the church scene, which was one of the best action scenes I've ever seen.

I think you're doing a massive overservice to the church scene which was one of the most overrated action scenes I've ever seen.

John Woo was doing this schtick in the early nineties and better.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The first teaser poster for the film hints at the return of a certain character:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/674467-first-kingsman-the-golden-circle-poster-teases-an-unexpected-return#/slide/1
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    No news about Millar doing a follow-up comic book yet.

I think you're doing a massive disservice to the church scene, which was one of the best action scenes I've ever seen.

I think you're doing a massive overservice to the church scene which was one of the most overrated action scenes I've ever seen.

John Woo was doing this schtick in the early nineties and better.

I don't see a lot of similarity although to be fair it's been a while since I've seen any John Woo films. Unless I'm forgetting a more similar scene, I'm guessing you made the comparison because of the tracking shot gunfight in Hardboiled, which is brilliantly done, but I find it a hard comparison to make because of how different the scenes are. The Hardboiled scene was a long atmospheric gunfight taking place mostly through corridors, which meant you were never sure what was round the corner. The Kingsman fight was more of a straight up brawl than anything else, and it was loud, over the top and took place in one room. The Hardboiled sequence is more linear, building up slowly, while the Kingsman sequence has constant fighting going on in the background.

I mean if it wasn't to your taste (too cartoony and OTT or the cuts were too obvious or whatever), fair enough, but it was praised for a reason. The choreography was really impressive, and refreshing in an era of action films where common practice seems to be just using quick edits and shaky cam to hide the fights entirely and save themselves the bother.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The first teaser poster for the film hints at the return of a certain character:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/674467-first-kingsman-the-golden-circle-poster-teases-an-unexpected-return#/slide/1

REALLY hoping that this is just misdirection. Not only could it ruin the sequel but could actually diminish the impact of the first film imo. It'd be pandering to fans in the worst way possible.

Yes Colin Firth was great. But he's dead. They seem to be retconning it with the bullet apparently taking his eye out but it's very, very clear that they wrote the film with the intention of killing the character off. He died, his death served a purpose (to motivate Eggsy and to free up a spot in the Kingsmen for him, to show that this wasn't "that kind of movie", to raise the stakes for the final act, and all of this after he'd broken the moral code he talked about anyway, which isn't something he'd be able to easily live with) and was absent for the entire final act. The characters referred to him as dead. Yes Colin Firth did the gentleman spy thing perfectly but Harry died, he served his purpose in the story. It was Eggsy's story, he was the one who actually developed as a character, who fought the villain at the end, etc.

I'd have been fine with his involvement in flashbacks. A Godfather 2 style narrative, with Eggsy taking on a villain that Harry dealt with in the past, could have been cool. But if they cop out and say he survived all along just because he was a popular character I'll lose a lot of respect for Vaughn and the rest of the writers. It'd be a cheap, contrived move that'd negatively impact any rewatches of the first one imo.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I think they realized that Eggsy can't headline this film (and he really can't - Egerton's name isn't even on the blu ray cover front). I would have preferred someone new rather than the return of Firth. I think another quality actor coming into the Kingsman clan would be welcome. Someone like the character Firth or Davenport played. The film does need some gravitas, which Firth provided, and Egerton does not.
    Colin's 100% returning to some degree; whether he plays some kind of robot or clone or twin or something is a completely different story, however.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Pierce Brosnan should be in it. He was was in the original comic as himself. They could do what they did with Mark Hamill and make him a new character rather than being himself.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Pierce Brosnan should be in it. He was was in the original comic as himself. They could do what they did with Mark Hamill and make him a new character rather than being himself.
    @Murdock, I'm inclined to agree with you. Kingsman is tailor made for Brosnan.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 40,500
    I don't think a series that pokes fan at Bond while trying to remain its own thing is going to hire James Bond himself...though that would be very entertaining, suppose it's plausible if he appeared in the comic himself.
    I would've liked them to take a gamble and given him the chance to carry the film himself, I think he definitely has the presence and charisma to do it, but if they absolutely had to bring in another big name I wish they'd gone with someone new rather than bringing Firth back. I've seen a lot of comments attempting to use how OTT the movie is to justify it but it doesn't matter how ridiculous it was, they established that it wasn't like Bond, the villain wasn't just going to keep him alive, not even one of the protagonists is safe, etc. So by bringing him back they're essentially breaking their own rules, one of the worst things they could do imo, and undoing the emotional impact of his death. The worst thing about it is even if the reason for his survival does make sense, it's still contrived because it's so clear that he was meant to be dead at the end of the first one, that they'd written it as such. Really disappointed if this is true, I'm hoping it's just misdirection.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Anything with Pierce Brosnan and Patrick Stewart kicking ass together would be an instant win in my book.
    SS-Brosnan-Stewart.jpg
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2016 Posts: 15,691
    If 'Kingsman 2' wants to beat the church scene of the first one, they should hire this guy and give him a 5 minutes scene where he destroys an army of goons:

Korean actor Lee Byung-Hun, the main actor from 'A Bittersweet Life' and 'I Saw The Devil'

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=201601241345111287148_20160124134552_01.jpg

He's only 2 year younger than Craig (and this pic was taken this year, so he is 46 here).
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Lee Byung-Hun is a truly remarkable presence on film. He's my favourite part in the G.I. Joe films for example. In fact, he may the reason my old G.I. Joe childhood love was rekindled recently.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    If 'Kingsman 2' wants to beat the church scene of the first one, they should hire this guy and give him a 5 minutes scene where he destroys an army of goons:

Korean actor Lee Byung-Hun, the main actor from 'A Bittersweet Life' and 'I Saw The Devil'

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=201601241345111287148_20160124134552_01.jpg

He's only 2 year younger than Craig (and this pic was taken this year, so he is 46 here).

And he's in infinitely better shape.
    I didn't realise they were even making a second movie!
    Channing Tatum has joined the cast, as well, and it's all but confirmed at this point that Sir Elton John will have a key role:

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/channing-tatum-kingsman-sequel-1201751705/
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Looks like Kingsman 2 will be even more batshit crazy than the first one. I'm loving this!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :D It sounds fun.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Looks like Kingsman 2 will be even more batshit crazy than the first one. I'm loving this!

Oh dear. Apart from Colin Firth (who was class) it was awful.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Channing Tatum has joined the cast
    I don't mind saying I'm a bit distressed to hear this news. Never been a fan of him, except in very minor roles (e.g. Haywire when Gina Carano gave him an epic butt kicking which brought a smile to my face).
    @bondjames, that diner scene in 'Haywire' is awesome. I like Tatum, I think he gets a lot of undeserved flak. I like him in larger roles (the Jump Street movies are pretty funny) and smaller, more restricted roles (like 'Haywire' or a particular Oscar winner from last year.)
    @Creasy47, perhaps I'm being too harsh, but he hasn't impressed me in films I've seen him in. Same with his co-star in White House Down, Jamie Foxx. Like you, others here have defended him in the past, so perhaps I have to see more of his films.

Hopefully he impresses in Kingsman. I'm also not all that happy to hear about Julianne Moore. Great actress, but I just don't see her as a compelling villain.

Hope for the best.
    @bondjames, agreed on both Moore and Berry, I'm a little hesitant over what type of character they'll play and if they can deliver.
    Have you seen the Jump Street films @bondjames? If I'd only seen stuff like White House Down I'd probably have the same opinion as you but he's a really funny comedic actor. His small cameo in This Is The End is hilarious too.
    No @thelivingroyale, I haven't seen Jump Street. I've been meaning to get to those for a while. I've seen the trailer for the 2nd one where he's impersonating a Mexican (I think), and I'll admit that bit was hilarious.
    Speaking of those, the third, upcoming 'Jump Street' movie is 'MiB 23', a 'Men in Black' and 'Jump Street' crossover. I'm not making that up.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I'm just not sure Kingsman is the kind of movie that should have a sequel.
    I'm just not sure Kingsman is the kind of movie that should have a sequel.

Why not? It was set up for a sequel, I'd be surprised if it didn't eventually get one.
    Elton John has confirmed he has a role in 'Kingsman 2'.