Kingsman: The Great Game (2019)

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    bondjames wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    They should make a prequel about Firth's character. Leave out Eggsy all together. I hated that character. (Not the actor.) Firth's character was my favorite and the reason I watche the movie.

Great idea.

Eggsy seemed more for the pimply crowd imho.

The whole time I couldn't help but think of a Bully I had in school who looked very similar to Eggsy so I couldn't care or relate to him. I was actually rooting for Valentine to beat him.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I went back and reread my earlier comments on how horrible I thought this looked, just for it to be one of the biggest surprises of the year for me.
    I was expecting to hate it but the trailer made it look worse than it is. I don't love it either. It's an average movie for me. Nothing unique or special about it. Been there done that so to speak.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I just liked that it was almost like a love letter to the most outrageous Bond films. I really enjoyed it for what it was worth, mostly because I went from thinking it'd be terrible to being really surprised by it, and it had one of the best action sequences of the year in it.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yeah, that church scene was just straight up bananas.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Yeah, that church scene was just straight up bananas.

Not only that, but it's pretty much Firth killing a large portion of the Westboro Baptist Church, which is rich.
    I feel like I'm on another planet. It is a fun film but Kingsman didn't have an original bone in it's entire body. The characters and settings were send ups of many spy films. From the tone of the Bonds signature music, using the basic format of "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.", characters from "The Avengers", Bond and parody style of "Our Man Flint" not to mention echoes Michael Caine as Harry Palmer. A fun pastiche but a film with no identity of it own.
    delfloria wrote: »
    A fun pastiche but a film with no identity of it own.
    That's how I felt really. It felt like a psudo remake of the first Captain America movie from the training scenes where nobody likes cap and the ending at the Hydra Lair. it was too similar to me.

Watched this movie a 2nd time on dvd. Didn't suck as bad the 2nd time, but that's probably because I no longer had any expectations for it.
    I'd still rather pop in my Flint movies. Way more fun.
    For the sequel, I hope they make a prequel about Harry instead. I found him the most interesting and most likable character in the whole film. Firth really had the Roger Moore style suave character down.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 4,622
    I don't care what they do with the sequel. I didn't like any of the characters.
    Leave Hart dead. He did take a bullet to the head.
    Bring in new characters that are less grating.
    I'd suggest continuing the maturation of Eggsy.
    Make him a young Bond type. Give him a grand adventure, with real good looking Eggsy Girls and away we go. ie Just make a Bond movie, minus all the angst and melodrama contaminating the current series.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    For the sequel, I hope they make a prequel about Harry instead. I found him the most interesting and most likable character in the whole film. Firth really had the Roger Moore style suave character down.

Well a prequel is out of the question, as the article @Dragonsky posted suggests Eggsy will be the main character. If they bring back Firth it will all end in tears.

Well a prequel is out of the question, as the article @Dragonsky posted suggests Eggsy will be the main character. If they bring back Firth it will all end in tears.

Unfortunately. Eggsy was the worst thing about Kingsman for me. He didn't appeal to me and I never cared about him. Whatever the case, without Firth it's going to blow.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 4,622
    Doesn't the comic book link posted above suggest that the producers are considering a way to bring back Firth as Hart, even if he was shot dead.
    I do think the article says the idea is on the table, but no discussion as to how it might be done..
    He might have had a lead shield built into his forehead that withstood the impact of bullets. Just throwing ideas out there, as I kind of think he might come back in some way shape or form.
    On June 16, 2017, "Kingsman 2" will premiere!
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    On June 16, 2017, "Kingsman 2" will premiere!

How do you feel about this? I'm so excited! :D :D :D !
    To bad it's such a pastiche .................... I can't get beyond the fact that they completely ripped off "the Man from U.N.C.L.E." regarding the agency itself and the tailor shop entrance. Give me a break.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Pitty the man from uncle movie didn't use those elements.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I really enjoyed Kingsman, and I'll be looking forward to the second film.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/41417/julianne-moore-to-play-kingsman-2-villain
    Julianne Moore To Play "Kingsman 2" Villain

By Garth Franklin Wednesday February 17th 2016 11:39AM
    Julianne Moore To Play "Kingsman 2" Villain

Julianne Moore is in talks to play the villain in "The Kingsman 2," the upcoming sequel to 20th Century Fox's surprise 2015 hit starring Colin Firth and launching the career of Taron Egerton.

Matthew Vaughn is returning to direct the continuing adventures of a wayward tough (Egerton) from the wrong side of London and turned into the best and brightest of operatives. Attempts were made to bring Firth back in for the sequel in some capacity, but apparently those have now been ditched and he won't appear.

The action will shift to the United States for the follow-up. No details are available on Moore's character, though her busy schedule may prove an obstacle.

Filming is slated for a May shoot. Moore is coming off a turn as the scheming President Coin in the two-part "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay" films.

Source: Heat Vision
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I just liked that it was almost like a love letter to the most outrageous Bond films. I really enjoyed it for what it was worth, mostly because I went from thinking it'd be terrible to being really surprised by it, and it had one of the best action sequences of the year in it.

And what was that?

I take it you are referring to the stupid over the top shootout in the church that went on forever? Reminded me more of From Dusk Till Dawn than a scene that belonged in a Bond style action thriller.

The Hinx v Bond fight blows it out of the water.

The freefall sequence was the only action in this rather disappointing film that could be called Bondworthy.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    [quote="TheWizardOfIce;552147

I take it you are referring to the stupid over the top shootout in the church that went on forever? Reminded me more of From Dusk Till Dawn .

and it was precisely at that point that I thought to myself they have blown any chance of a sequel
    And whilst I wish them good luck with this I very much doubt that it will get off the ground .
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/41850/halle-berry-sought-for-kingsman-2-role
    Halle Berry Sought For "Kingsman 2" Role

By Garth Franklin Thursday March 10th 2016 03:28PM
    Halle Berry Sought For "Kingsman 2" Role

Halle Berry is in talks to join the upcoming sequel to "Kingsman: The Secret Service" which is about to head into production ahead of a June 2017 release.

Berry would play the head of the CIA, and the discussion is reportedly for a two-picture deal. Taron Egerton and Mark Strong are expected to reprise their roles from the first film in the follow-up which sports Julianne Moore in the role of the villain.

Vaughn and Jane Goldman wrote the script for the sequel which moved forward fast after the previous film grossed over $415 million around the globe for Fox.

Source: Deadline
    Concept art and story details have been released for the sequel, which is now officially titled 'Kingsman: The Golden Circle':

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/kingsman_the_secret_service/concept-art-story-details-and-title-revealed-for-a132689
    Meanwhile EoN are "brainstorming" ideas and concepts despite a surfeit of source material at their disposal in which we won't get another movie until 2018 or 2019.
    "I didn't know if I wanted to direct this or not," Vaughn said in an interview transcribed by CBM, who also scanned the concept art. "I was worried about the villain. Spy films are only as good as their villains. Then one morning I woke up with the whole storyline in place, and a new villain plot."

The film will dabble in spy tropes like a ski sequence and a barroom brawl, but insert quirky and Kingsman-esque ideas like robot dogs, one-armed henchmen, and apparently a battle with..."a giant f---ing frankfurter?"

http://comicbook.com/2016/03/27/king...d-concept-art/
    bondjames wrote: »
    They should make a prequel about Firth's character. Leave out Eggsy all together. I hated that character. (Not the actor.) Firth's character was my favorite and the reason I watche the movie.

Great idea.

Eggsy seemed more for the pimply crowd imho.

The whole time I couldn't help but think of a Bully I had in school who looked very similar to Eggsy so I couldn't care or relate to him. I was actually rooting for Valentine to beat him.

I mean that's not really the films fault though is it, and I certainly wouldn't see it as a reason to root for the guy who's gonna wipe out most of humanity.

I found Eggsy very relatable but maybe that's because I'm from a similar background to him. The film didn't quite live up to my expectations (I thought the first half, the training/origin story stuff felt a bit standard and generic, wasn't what I expected, but then the second half they just went all out with it, that was the film I wanted) but I did enjoy it a lot.

A left wing R rated Roger Moore Bond film (didn't understand the criticisms of people who thought it was a glorified ad for the Tories, the old school establishment figure turned out to be a villain and it's Eggsy who proves everyone wrong, beats the snobby private school kids and saves the world, so that along with Harry's words of wisdom sealed it as a left wing film for me, which I loved) I was very happy with it, and I'm excited for the sequel. Have to agree with @doubleoego too that EON should take note. I don't want the Bond series to become Marvel but planning ahead so we're not waiting the better part of half a decade for the new film wouldn't go amiss. Vaughn and co seem to have done that here. They haven't rushed it but at the same time they've planned ahead (they started writing almost immediately after the first one) and developed a sequel to be released just over two years later. I'd love it if Bond could get back to this.

And what was that?

I take it you are referring to the stupid over the top shootout in the church that went on forever? Reminded me more of From Dusk Till Dawn than a scene that belonged in a Bond style action thriller.

The Hinx v Bond fight blows it out of the water.

The freefall sequence was the only action in this rather disappointing film that could be called Bondworthy.

I thought SPECTRE was a much better film without a doubt but I think you're doing a massive disservice to the church scene, which was one of the best action scenes I've ever seen. Stupid? Yeah. But that was kind of the point. It was made clear from the trailers and Vaughn's comments that this would be Roger Moore amped up to 11 and I thought it was really well done, particuarly in the church scene, which was brilliantly coreographed violent chaos.

Kingsman isn't meant to be Bond. It's a surreal, violent homage to Bond and the spy genre in general. I didn't go in expecting it to feel like a Bond film, I expected it to take elements from Bond and subvert and pay tribute to them and that's what I got. I loved how they took the spy genre elements and pushed them to their natural extremes and I can't wait to see them do that with the bits they missed in the sequel (gadget packed car, ski chase, etc).

I think this will be better than the first one now the generic origin/training stuff is over. We just get to watch a working class Bond esque spy violently fight his way through an increasingly OTT adventure. I'll see it at the cinema for sure.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 4,461
    Is that hint there filming in Frankfurt Germany.

Some pictures of that City has bit of English (The Thames) and what there did with Bond in Skyfall with China (Where the swimming part of it was filmed in London)

Frankfurter_Mainbruecken.jpg

frankfurt-germany_0.jpeg

I also found this picture..

fleming-s-deluxe-hotel-frankfurt-city-cc.jpg
    I mean that's not really the films fault though is it, and I certainly wouldn't see it as a reason to root for the guy who's gonna wipe out most of humanity.

I found Eggsy very relatable but maybe that's because I'm from a similar background to him. The film didn't quite live up to my expectations (I thought the first half, the training/origin story stuff felt a bit standard and generic, wasn't what I expected, but then the second half they just went all out with it, that was the film I wanted) but I did enjoy it a lot.

You are right of course I don't blame the film for it as that's also in the source material from. It's a silly reason too but I just didn't like the character at all. Too much of a punk kid for my liking. And it's nothing against Taron Edgerton either. I think he was fine in the film. But I just didn't like Eggsy. I know he can be relatable to some but not to me. And I'm a working class person myself.
    Fair enough. I think it was always gonna be a divisive move having him as the protagonist, even moreso now Firth is gone, but I'm glad they did it.

It's something different, it's a refreshing move imo, especially since council estate kids are usually just demonised. The biggest film outside of Kingsman that I can think of that features one as a protagonist as Attack The Block, which is quite a low budget film and opens with the protagonists robbing a nurse at knifepoint, which again ties back to my point about them being demonised. So I think Eggsy was a nice change of pace, and the fact that not only was he portrayed positively but was actually the main character in a fairly big blockbuster with an all star cast is really admirable imo. If nothing else it was just nice to see an English guy in a Hollywood action flick who didn't have an RP or cockney accent. It was a nice change I thought.